Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm ok with them all except Wednesday who looks.... terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is a fair and honest observation. Just because the system overall is hugely rigged against those with limited economic opportunities does not mean that those people do not spend money in ways that are not conducive to their welfare, even though it is entirely within their agency to do so.

What you choose to believe about that and what values you ascribe to that is a personal matter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's how money is intended to work, though. You apply a store of value here or there. It's up to you what you think you value and therefore select, but if you apply it in one place you do not have it available in other places. If that one place is expensive food, ok, but you will not have the same money later.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

That's because in the 1950s-1970s, the British realized that they'd been incredibly evil in the past, and put together a plan known as Operation Legacy. Fully backed by the British government, they made reparations destroyed all the evidence they could get their hands on.

Holy moly, I'd missed this, wooph :psyduck:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Homophobia mostly comes from Abrahamic religion. Being Japanese is its own religion, so they're mostly atheists otherwise

Not remotely true. It has developed independently in many cultures. Many of the stories of how homosexuals or "third gender" people were "revered" in other cultures is false--not all, but many. It's unfortunate that it's false, but it's false, and acting like that's not false is applying that weird also very Western-centric notion that we invented everything in the world, even the bad stuff, and that if there's a significant cultural trend, that's 100% us (obviously).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're trying to make her look like 11. Every time I see that meme I nearly vomit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yesssss

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's....definitely a marketing move

Ahahahahaha. I don't know why, but that word is considerably underutilized for humor. A good one

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's super amazing, go see it asap

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Olive! posted:

She... she unzips an outer layer of nude cat skin to reveal a clothed cat body? :psyboom:

Just go watch the drat movie because there's weirder poo poo in there than that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly, people who like the musical have so far liked the film pretty well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i know it's supposed to be "MRA lifestyle blogger" and "quirky gamestop girl" but i cannot read that pairing as anything but "45 year old rockabilly librarian with rollerderby name Iron Cuntain" and "18 year old lesser Mumford son"

Same, I can't tell for poo poo there

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
what the hell they remade monopoly peanut for pedophiles?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
eeeedgy fucks in here who think it's hardcore banaynays to "remember your loved ones" in a ritual way, requiring time from My Are Own Life !! *camps out in a tent for 4 days to watch the first midnight showing of Bat Man: american Ninja*

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Step away from my marvel yaoi coffin

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dirksteadfast posted:

The fact that there are companies that specialize in “manly” wedding bands and wedding tuxes (i.e. camo tuxedos) because heaven forbid my family and friends think I’m gay as I marry my wife means nothing is off the table for dumb macho products.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't know who Timothy Dalton is except he voiced a fairy king or something in the Tinkerbell movies

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Volcott posted:

They're more into using the swirl tool, if I recall.

:drat: :drat: :drat:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The most fun part is being the banker and stealing from the bank.

:hai: my parents did "interest-free loans" from the bank. However we kids couldn't because we "weren't 18". They loved making that game suck for us on purpose but looking back that is extremely funny.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Loxbourne posted:

TOS is old enough and grounded enough in bygone cultural mores that it is embraced and respected by a good chunk of capital-c Conservative America, let alone conservative nerdkind.

It provides a window into old Boomer dreams of the future, and by heck that means swaggering space captains providing the crew of mighty starships with Proper Leadership, who demand Respect and expect winsome female yeomans to bring them coffee while they lay down the law. Remember how many people decried Discovery for being "SJW" ? They weren't all under 30. Or even 40.

It is entirely possible to be a conservative Trek fan, although they tend to stick their fingers in their ears and ignore TNG (or reject it as a relic of their teenage naivete). That type can get really into the final seasons of DS9 too.

okay see even this is a bizarre read on TOS and I am wondering if you've watched it recently

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's actually a perfectly decent show, and better than a lot of other ones. It's just a spooky horror show,

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

The episode where everyone has a social-media score, bolstered by "likes" in real life, and it acts like a credit score on meth, bad scores gate-keeping you from getting decent housing, jobs, services etc, where people have to slavishly suck up to the popular people with outstanding scores to bolster their own is creepy and feels too much like something that might really happen

Yeah I haven't actually seen that many episodes but I saw that one and it seemed more likely than not.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Regarding Star Trek: go back and watch Garak’s introduction on DS9, how he chats up Bashir, and how Bashir goes running excited to the bridge to tell everyone Garak talked to him! I’m convinced Bashir was given a Bond obsession and shown dating women frequently later on to quash the way he was clearly smitten with Garak (and it’s clear from the first moment Garak approaches him the feeling was mutual, imo).

This is literally what happened, the writers were told to give them fewer scenes together by guy-who-is-given-too-much-specific-flack-since-he-wasn't-the-only-rear end in a top hat-working-on-star-trek but yes, in this case, literally Rick Berman. In fact, the final scene of them saying goodbye (which is also Garak's last scene in the show, so, the last appearance of the character usually rated as the most popular in the entire series) was cut from the original airing of the finale and only later spliced back in, because it was a scene with him and Bashir.

The guy who played Garak in particular has been super upfront about this. Oh well, at least he got to write his beta canon novel where Rick Berman couldn't get in his way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

There's an episode of community that had a really similar plot.

yeah the MeowMeowBeenz episode felt the most realistic honestly, except the part where it ever ends

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
what if bees, but computer

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's actually better than it's ever been from a user standpoint

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

There are definitely some restaurants that are fronts for money laundering, and they usually suck because the food's just there enough to be convincing. What you really want are the ones that put some effort into it. Like a mafia pizza shop that actually puts the work in? It's gonna be twice as good as anybody else because the food's made well purely out of love :discourse:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Mr peanut isna sicken a z

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Trig Discipline posted:

I can't hear about someone sucking their own dick without thinking of the forums goon who said he could do it but said "it's a lot more like sucking a dick than it is like having your dick sucked". It's one of history's great accidentally profound quotes, along the lines of Mike Tysons "everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

incredible

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
On the other hand part of the rule book is saying you're making more than you are, it advertises that you're "worth it" and successful and that people have to donate a lot to be in the top tiers. You don't price your bath water at $5 and work up. You place it at $300 and act like that's normal.

Most people who get into this (I never did but I've known people) cane away with less than if they'd just worked minimum wage at a Denny's.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
God who even cares about this bella poo poo. Okay so someone else screwed the system in a slightly different way than other people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I had a job where I had to do lots and lots of research via google for products and was assigned condoms and dog food at the same time and my ads became wild

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went replied to a online survey that my most trusted brand is Rustoleum. That should gently caress their stupid algo up for a while.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Literally the only online ads I've EVER clicked on were on tumblr, because they were completely random poo poo and I just happened to be interested in that exact thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That's me! Realperson O'Movielover! I liked the things critics misunderstood and said were bad! They were good actually!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Peloton And all that poo poo isn't competing to be an exercise bike, it's competing with church

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tobermory posted:

I mean, 40% of Republican men think that women schedule their periods based on the calendar month:
https://twitter.com/teemoneyusa/status/1166039803378511872

9_6

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had no idea the empire struggled under such brutal austerity measures

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shneak posted:

Christ, Baby Nut was this year wasn't it?

Yep, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And the Plinkett approach worked great for Star Trek and Star Wars, I just think it doesn't work that well for anything that doesn't have that mass fandom aspect.

The Star Trek ones were especially apt because they included a lot of things that you want to say but you can't say because you know they make you sound like that (WHY DOES DATA'S EMOTION CHIP LOOK DIFFERENT NOW? I DON'T LIKE THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT)

The moment he shows Picard dropping the kurlan naiskos with the crash-tingle sound effect is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life, but... :spock: