Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Welp, there goes CM Punk's brain cells. I sure hope that's not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Once you beat Punk, maybe he'd join the commentary team instead of dealing with headaches.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Alcohol does make people look dumb and funny, but not smart.

Punk's a cool guy.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Citation needed

Does self-referencing count or do I need to do research on this?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I was mostly talking about him being cool when everything about him seems to scream the opposite unless you like teetotalers with bad tattoos

Let's just perceive him as an arrogant, cocky rear end in a top hat with no fighting ability until we're proven wrong.

Captain Log posted:

As a recovered alcoholic guy myself, having a view of "Alcohol = bad" is very...well...juvenile. Please don't be offended if you're young and ignore me if you're just joking around. Alcohol use, drug use, all those things are very case by case with the individual.

I think alcohol is an incredibly destructive drug and can't believe the duplicity of some moral right conservative types that support the war on drugs with a beer in their hand. But if alcohol isn't harmful to an individual I say more power to them enjoying it.

Also I couldn't give a flying gently caress about this Punk guy's straight edge thing unless I somehow became a fan of him.

I'm just joking around. Since I myself had nice happy bouts with depression and alcohol and lost my father thanks to his smoke and drinking addictions, I'm no stranger to the fun side of casual drinking.

THE ABYSS STARES BACK!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
He still has a job, so what is this case for outside of saving face.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

WWE wants their win back.

Not even joking, they think they got worked by the earlier settlement and are trying to get back at Punk, but because of the deal they have to use the doctor as a proxy to protect themselves.

Okay, NOW I see where this is going and it makes total sense now. As much of a bitch Punk is, I don't see him losing this unless his lawyer really fucks up.

And Cobana should be off since his case is journalism and those kind of rights.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Byolante posted:

They should have him fight nick diaz to find out whether weed is cool or not

then feed him to jones and see if coke is better than pepsi or not

Gonzo McFee posted:

Y'all MMA guys are weird as gently caress.

and it only gets better now put me in a triangle

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I guess the straight edge gimmick still works and it seems to work better outside of wrestling.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Fiveace Attorney posted:

Also: not being huge and muscly

add 'not being Vince's wank material' and you got yourself a full description.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

coconono posted:

All I want out of this is when Punk gets his rear end kicked in his first UFC fight, Rogan says "Welcome to the UFC, Punk".

Considering his dedication so far, even if he gets beaten, it should be entertaining and he won't get beaten little a total bitch.

I'm sure everyone's first match and beat down was humbling and difficult unless they're incredibly gifted and Punk is not a gifted fighter, so he needs the time to make this interesting. He's a gifted talker, but not a born mma fighter.

Hell, if he can go for more than a round and a half, that's quite an achievement for an 0-0 guy.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Keg posted:

What's the New Jack story?

Anything New Jack has done since his inception is part of a larger story.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So CM Punk is either:

a) comedian
b) bad at relationships
c) Patrick Bateman

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I like mma and wrestling posters because they're both massive nerds.

fatherdog posted:

Roufus says he'd prefer to have been training Punk a full year before he has his first pro fight, for what that's worth.

Sounds realistic. It's not like the hype would die down for him anyway. Sending a total rookie to a cage to get beaten isn't fun anyway.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Maybe not to them

Still not as funny as rag doll physics.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I don't hate on Punk as much as other people because he believes in himself. That's enough to make you a decent person and a role model to youngsters.

As long as he keeps a positive attitude even with losses, I'll be interested in what he does in the future.

I don't think there's even been someone like punk in MMA as long as I can remember. He's sort of unique.

oldpainless posted:

They fired him so much and so hard he died.

I think I may know who this is but I've probably forgotten his name.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Memento posted:

Patrice O'Neal?

I actually didn't know he worked for WWE until now...and that he passed away :smith:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Punk would most likely lose all his matches and end up with a hosed up face, but he would most likely stick with MMA if he actually cares.

There's no way he'd be in the octagon with any credible person for his first few matches anyway. The idea of him moving into commentary sounds good. He can talk and he's obviously eager to learn.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
You can be both kind and confident just like our favourite wrestling pimp, The Godfather.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Punk was pretty terrible early in training. Even if he fails, I'm sure he come out of this with a lot of experience.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Gonzo McFee posted:

It'll be hard for him to use that experience when he's suffering from early onset dementia.

Depends how hard he gets hit in the head. I'm surprised not a whole lot of MMA fighters have gone Benoit or died young compared to wrestlers, but then again they have different regimes and lifestyles.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
He needs a lot of work not getting hit when striking. He's waaaaay too open. Any dude and dudette can strike and shift their weight, but if you get counter hit, then it's not much of a point unless you got a metal jaw.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Eat Bum Zen posted:

i haven't ever seen the phrase "counter-hit" before. you want to say 'countered'. also you're wrong when you say anyone can strike and shift their weight.

You can say 'cross countered' too. Hell, I'm just trying to put this in more laymen's terms here since some people don't know. Also, yeah, not all strikes need you to twist and shift but that's just for heavier strikes.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 4, 2016

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

A cross counter is a specific kind of counter punch that goes over the opponents jab though. Everything you are saying just makes it clear that you don't actually know what you're talking about

Isn't a cross counter meant to go over another cross? I thought it applied to both. I do admit I haven't even persued any of this knowledge in a decade so I'm admittedly not sharp.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've also watched anime

I have not. Teach me, Senpai!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Endorph posted:

there are a lot of boxing anime where people in the audience love yelling 'a CROSS-COUNTER!?' whenever one happens

I actually have not seen either Hajime No Ippo or Naruto. I did however see Grappler Baki and it didn't have anything like this.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If both fighters are orthodox a cross counter happens when fighter A throws a jab and fighter B throws a right hand over the jab, crossing their arms.

If you want to see examples of this watch Glover Texeira fights. It's one of his favorite punches. Roy Nelson also likes it.

Will do because Roy Nelson is still one of my favs. Good to know this.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
This better be a worked fight, brother.

I bet we'll see Dana run in with a chair, hit Gall and let punk pin him for the three.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
CM Punk better not give up if he gets hosed, otherwise it'll defeat the whole purpose of him being enhancement talent for new fighters.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Ziggler would've been a better candidate for this sort of thing, considering his amateur background. Still, this showed that people with hard bodies and previous experience or good background are better suited for this sort of transition.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is that shithead Ryback in Belator yet? I just want him to copy Punk right down to the dramatised documentary. Maybe an episode about his eating habits and self-help books?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Can CM Punk stream himself playing videogames for the rest of his life or is he too brain damaged for that?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Can Punk really do much outside of going back to the indies for a lot of money? At least he looks good now and probably got some of his health issues taken care of.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If I were to approach this from a combat sports angle I'd say that Punk's career as a fighter was 'too little, too late' and he was bad.

If you approach it from a wrestling angle, it's no big deal. People got back into the ring after commiting muder (snuka), getting busted for drugs (too many to list), domestic violence (Steve Austin) and quite possibly, if wrestling continues to be a dumb business, from racist tirades (Hogan).

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

exploded mummy posted:

Do you think Punk could beat a 12 year old Japanese girl???

Not really? Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
At this point seeing Punk back in wrestling is a welcoming thing.

• Locked thread