Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

daft punk railroad posted:

do companies with official policies against discussing salaries know that that's illegal or do they just not give a poo poo

my old boss found out i discussed my salary with a coworker and threatened to fire me even though it's explicitly protected in the state i was in

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

corner lots blow

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i moved into my place in downtown seattle with no deposit and really not too many fees. only one months rent too, no first + last

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

graph posted:

honestly the first thing you should do is take photos right before you move in

the ex and her roommates got severely hosed when new mgmt took over their building, when they moved out the landlord was all 'lol look at all this broke poo poo' and had a balance sheet of $5500 in fines, lol

they sold the building 4 months after

my last apartment got sold while i was in it and the new mgmt tried to get me to scrape a bunch of ancient paint off of some windows that they accused me of painting. said not my problem and didn't do it. they gave me my whole deposit back anyway.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey guys, thanks for the security deposit chat, it reminded me to check Pennsylvania law and it turns out that my landlord is holding more of my money than he's allowed to hold.

lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

did you know that san francisco has more pet dogs in the city limits than human beings under the age of 18?

i think seattle is the same way

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

prefect posted:

i wish i were in seattle :allears:

why?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

prefect posted:

it seems like a pretty cool city where rents aren't as high and they don't have really hot summers and they're literally right next to a fjord

come visit and find out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

do workers in those giant mines get paid to take the very long elevator down

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a loveseat but no couch. a big portion of my apartment is unused actually

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

http://www.kptv.com/story/27665681/reports-uber-says-its-leaving-portland-for-three-months

quote:

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

Popular app-based taxi company Uber announced Thursday it will leave Portland for three months.

In exchange, Portland Mayor Charlie Hales announced an expedited effort to re-examine city taxi laws.

Uber will stop pick-ups in the Portland city limits on Sunday evening. However, it says it will be back in town as soon as April 9.

If the city doesn't have new regulations in place by that point, officials will allow ridesharing companies like Uber to operate while they pursue a long-term solution, according to a statement from Uber.

"Uber is dedicated to curating and continuing a valuable and constructive relationship with Portland's lawmakers, working to create a regulatory framework that works for everyone, not just us. Not just the taxi cabs. Not just the city officials. Everyone," the Uber statement said.

City officials said a task force will begin meeting next month to study and make recommendations about Portland's taxi system and how the city should handle companies like Uber. Some of the topics that will be addressed are a regulated pricing system, a limit on permits granted and whether there should be mandated criteria like insurances, inspections and background checks.

Findings will be addressed at an April 9 city council hearing, and the Portland Bureau of Transportation will then be immediately directed to issue permits based on the council's approval of mandated safety recommendations.

Uber will continue to operate in metro area cities like Beaverton, Gresham, Hillsboro and Tigard.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ive been on a train before

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

apparently this is how they served the drinks at the adobe christmas party

hello, i'm a little "thirsty" if you catch my drift

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

enjoy your 1099

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yospos safety update: I took an uber to the train station at 5am and the driver was kind enough to use lube

i can walk to the train station.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beast of Bourbon posted:

cls: in an Uber and using the spotify hook up poo poo at the drivers request. took 5 minutes to set it up but it now works

currently rocking out to Tuesday by Drake/ilovemakkonen

play freebird

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

uncurable mlady posted:

oh man

oh man oh man

let me loving tell you about this milkshake I had a while back

it was a milkshake with coffee cake in it

it was so loving good you have no idea

it sounds good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why does the tech bubble thread always talk about loving transit

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:spergin:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the midwest sucks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Citizen Tayne posted:

James Kuntzler covered exactly this in The Geography of Nowhere. It's impossible to make a private space like a mall a public space because the point of public space is that you can do what you want (loosely within the law). As soon as there are management and security there to tell you to gtfo if they don't like you, it ceases to be a gathering space.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

infernal machines posted:

it takes a certain amount of gumption to shoot yourself in the face, then go back inside, reload your gun, and then finish the job out on the lawn

yeah well what else are you supposed to do after you've killed your wife

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the tech bubble thread is always hosed up. if its not talking about public transit, its talking about rape or peanut butter

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

theflyingexecutive posted:

nerds are the worst

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Low-Pass Filter posted:

I had to look up what just-in-time scheduling was, thought it was an anroid thing.

:smith:

i googled this and it made me angry. thanks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

graph posted:

fumckign lol

im the om on the shitter

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my building has a concierge and ive never asked them to do a single thing for me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

*spends 6 figs on rent*

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my last landlord raised my rent by 40% and i thought it was absolutely ridiculous

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Condiv posted:

here's pics of BMW's new driverless car

looks really loving gaudy tbh

thats not a bmw

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

id ride in it, driving is for suckers

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tons of phone games have awful names

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah hes an idiot who also got hosed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he recently added a most recent part but yeah what awful design

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

all states are bad, just go to a less bad one.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Munkeymon posted:

holy poo poo

milk is only 122 g/lb according to http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/food-water-footprint_n_5952862.html

also eggs: 395 (and chicken: 528) so you could drink eggnog and it'd waste less water than fuckin almond milk

pound for pound beef uses less water than almonds

quote:

Beef requires the most water, at 1,847 gal./lb

quote:

almonds and cashews...averaging 1,929 gal./lb.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

100 down in downtown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this is a great post, and i'm certainly not suggesting anyone should applaud uber any more than they applaud mcds or whatever other corporation when it behaves the way corporations behave (as badly as possible). but imo if you're part of the industry then you are standing next to those fuckers, and we should all admit this. it's not something to celebrate, but definitely something to recognize. our industry as a whole exists to automate entire classes of people out of their jobs, and the only jobs we create are for other tech workers, or low paying work for those who fill in the tech gaps (beep boop i pres butan i drive uber car). we get paid cushy salaries because this is what we do. we create profits for companies at the expense of middle class labor

there is nothing wrong with the automation of labor, it's just that as a society we don't distribute the benefits of automation to those who's jobs have been made obsolete. the automation is not the problem, it's the capitalism. hth

• Locked thread