Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

PyroDwarf posted:

Can't you earn gold to buy the scenarios by playing?

Playing a game nets you 1xx-2xx gold depending on difficulty and how many cards you successfully encounter. Not sure if that's contingent on winning, but I assume so. The first specially 80% discounted adventure to buy is 750 gold. The second one is 4000, and these both give you 5 new scenarios. I'd tell you the rest but they aren't currently in the game.

Note that you only start with 2 characters unlocked and unlocking new ones will cost you 1500 or 2000 gold, with a 10000 option for 4 characters + a Deck C, whatever that is.

Even with the ability to run random quests, you'd have to be a superfan of the game to unlock everything via F2P. You're meant to pay the $35 sometime and be done with it, although if you like being stupid you could also buy the equivalent in gold which would be 24000 and probably not enough to buy everything the $35 upfront would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

$35 in Canadian funbucks, and yeah I'd get it before I got a physical copy, but it's still a rough ask compared to Ascension on mobile.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Impermanent posted:

Please tell me how Millenium Blades works. Is it like a M:TG Draft with agricola or an auction game stapled on to it? I don't want to watch someone stammer through 50 minutes of video to get an idea of how the game plays. How many times is yelling "heart of the cards" or "time to d-d-d-duel" an option you could reasonably say, like when you play a legendary card in TK?

MB has two main phases: deckbuilding and tournaments.

In the deckbuilding phase you get an income and some free cards, then are told to go out and buy packs of cards (represented by a single card, the rare from the pack you actually care about), buy/sell singles on the aftermarket, and trade with people. You've got two main ways to make points here - set up your deck to murder in the tournament and make a collection of cards with a symbol in common. This runs in real time for 7 minutes then another 7 minutes then 6 minutes.

In the tournament you bring your deck with up to 8 cards, a deck box, and 2 accessories. All of these are in your hand or in play. Play changes to turn-based here as everyone gets a chance to play a card and do an action off another card during their turn. The aim of the tournament is to score the most Rank Points and you usually do so by having cards in your tableau survive face-up until the end of the tournament. Cards have various effects and ways to score, you can have up to 6 cards in your tableau and once everyone has those 6 you're going to end the tournament. The biggest other mechanic is Clashing, where you compare cards' Star Power and add to it from another card drawn off the top of the Store deck, high man usually gets something. Count up points then award VPs based on ranks, hand out prize cards, and get ready for the next round of deckbuilding.

Normally you'd run 3 sets of deckbuilding + tournaments, with later tournaments giving out more VP. Whoever scores the most VP throughout the game wins.

Left out a bunch of details, but that's the general flow of the game.

And you can totally play it like YGO and yell out every card name, most of which are incredibly yellable.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

SynthOrange posted:

Caverna questions: Sheep and dogs! Can you just make two stacks, one of N-1 dogs the other of N sheep on one meadow space? Rules arent clear on any space limits other than for what you might be able to fit.

Yes, that is exactly the upside of sheepherding with dogs instead of using fenced and stabled pastures.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Wouldn't you be able to pitch Lone Gunman to the Space Race to avoid giving your opponent the 1-op on your turn?

Edit: Or not because it's a 1-op and not big enough to throw away. Ouch. AAR isn't crazy strong, it's just Lone Gunman being poison and your opponent knowing about it.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 5, 2016

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

silvergoose posted:

I thought it was at least x ops? Have I had the complete wrong direction of that the whole time?

Lone Gunman is a 1.

edit: yeah it is, so no, I can't space it.

Really, if you get stuck with Lone Gunman in your hand you need to find some way to deal with it safely. Might have had to bite the bullet and play it as your headline to (almost) ensure you'd have a DEFCON level to burn.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

silvergoose posted:

Sure is, except he had that card that steals it and then he hoarded the china card for like two turns.

Anyway, long story short, there were mitigations for lone gunman, but they were before AR1 that turn, and I hadn't run into any traps for which that was true before. Everything else I've run into are "don't play this card in this situation", or the like.

Yeah, Twilight Struggle isn't forgiving with its potential traps. Just need to experience them once and then remember them going forward.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Texibus posted:

What's the general consensus on Tabletop Simulator on steam?

It's a decent way to play games if you don't have a local group or FLGS willing to help you on that point. The physics interfere more than they help and make everything take a little more time to do, lack of rules enforcement makes playing with strangers hit-or-miss, module quality is all over the place, BUT there's a lot of choice since it's mostly pirated.

Edit: It works well for me and my childhood friends who are living in different cities across the country now. But we definitely wouldn't be using it if we could all just meet up. And sites like Boardgamearena and Boiteajeux have much better implementations of games, just not as wide a catalog.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 6, 2016

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It's a companion app that requires the physical set to play with. It'll tell you how to set everything up, give you random events, and let you know how you should be controlling the monster's AI.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Poker chips just make everything better. Wish I had enough money to throw away on buying a bunch of sets to stock all of my board games with.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

silvergoose posted:

I mean you really only need one or two and just bring that wherever you bring board games. Really, the mini sets are great, they fit easily in your bag/box and have enough to play 18xx with.

Sure, but it'd be nice to stock every box with its own set instead of spending time figuring out what Game X needs. Just wishful thinking about what I could do if I didn't have to worry about a budget.

Jabor posted:

Paper money should always be thrown out, grab the poker set when you want to play a game that needs money.

I can confirm that this is not the case with Millennium Blades. Those wads of 10 paper bills actually work well.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Well, now every turn has a single card with all 4 players' icons on it. And in order, 2 players at most get to play off the card either taking the event (most of which are dual-effect and you get to choose which is better) or running a normal operation. However, if you played on the last card, you normally are not allowed to play on the following card. And everyone knows which card is coming up next.

That interest you even more?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Zurui posted:

What's the gameplay difference between Marvel Legendary and Legendary Encounters?

Marvel is semi-coop in that you are trying to score the most points while cooperating with each other. And unless you buy into the expansions, it's very much a steamrolling kind of game where you will keep being rewarded in points and in power for defeating the villains.

Encounters is based on the Alien franchise and has none of the point gathering and winning of Marvel. You simply survive or not. The core mechanic of playing then buying cards is the same, but the particulars do change between the games. I'd also say Encounters is harder than Marvel but you get more of sense of teamwork going on.

Of note, all the cards from Legendary games are compatible.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

radlum posted:

How does that work? I thought Bluestacks was just a games emulator.

Bluestacks is an Android phone emulator that I mostly hear about for its use in running phone games on your PC.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

YF19pilot posted:

Played a 2-hour game of King of Tokyo last night and had to call it when someone hit 16 points. Why? Because in a game about monsters fighting, I couldn't convince the 5 other people I was playing with to actually, you know, fight. One person would sit on Tokyo and the others just kept trying to roll triple numbers all night (with the person with 16 points being the luckiest at doing that, and would've had 20 points if someone didn't play Evacuation Orders). Attacks only happened if they were rolled on the 3rd roll, which meant usually one 1 or 2 hits against the monster in Tokyo, so that person could just sit there for forever. I ended up being the only person actually fighting anyone, and did manage to knock one player out, but the game went for another hour after I had, so I felt a little bad for having KO'd that player.

It's the equivalent of two UFC fighters getting into the octagon and wasting their time shadow boxing, throwing insults, trying to work the crowd, and apologizing to each other if they accidentally get too close to each other.

Wow, I've never had a game run even close to that long. Were you not giving the person in Tokyo points for starting the turn inside?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

al-azad posted:

My LGS had a dusty rear end copy of 1856 in the darkest corner of their shelves that I picked up for $30. As someone who has never played an 18xx game and will be introducing it to at least two other veteran board gamers who enjoy heavier games, did I make a good purchase or should I look for another 18xx?

I like it as a first 18XX but it's not fully representative of the series as a whole.

Edit: Suppose I should say more than that. Having the destinations to unlock your other half of capitalization gives you an immediate goal to work toward instead of trying to puzzle out the best place to build track to. The partial capitalization (money per stock instead of a lump sum when a company is fully floated) has seemed easier for most of the people I've played with to get their heads around. A major thing I'd warn you about is the Canadian Government Railways halfway through the game - they can be powerful if leveraged correctly.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 31, 2016

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Honestly, Tekopo or one of the other regulars of the 18XX thread can give you a better opinion here. I just play the games very occasionally and don't tend to see the flaws that come from repeated plays.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Zurui posted:

I regret not backing Gloomhaven. Is it going to see a retail release?

It should, I seem to remember talk about retail pricing.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

al-azad posted:

1856 question: when starting a company what is the cost of the first certificate? Is it whatever the person starting the company decides to set the par value to e.g. $65 to $100?

Yes, exactly. You always take the 20% President's Certificate first though, so it'll be twice whatever you set.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

EBag posted:

7 Wonders Duel is good yah? Just came back in stock and I'm thinking of picking it up, I find 7 Wonders to be a bit bland and simplistic but the extra confrontation and having to juggle numerous scoring/win conditions in Duel looks interesting.

I tried 2 games of it last night, it's alright. Military and science victories are more there to test whether or not you're awake and should never happen with alert players. Having the game end at 7 wonders built is a nice wrinkle though. You may be able to build 3 or 4 of your wonders, but you're giving your opponent the opportunity to cut the game short if he thinks he's ahead of you on a given turn.

The one thing I can see getting on my nerves if I bought it is a lack of variety. Using 8 / 12 wonders and 60 / 72 era cards every game leads to seeing the same setups continuously. The game needs an expansion to give it some longevity.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The General posted:

Game end at 7 wonders? Says here that the 8th wonder is just discarded back to the box.

Motherfucker. This is what I get for trusting other people with rules readings. Thanks for the catch.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Obama 2012 posted:

Are Cool Mini or Not games just style without substance? Shut up and Sit Down plugged their Kickstarter for Massive Darkness, but my impression of their other products (i.e. Zombicide) has been 'fantastic miniatures to entertain you, because the actual gameplay won't'.

I've never played one though, so I can neither confirm nor deny.

Gameplay video for Massive Darkness looked alright, they basically ignore complex monster AI in favor of allowing the heroes to abuse the simple aggro rules. It gave me a strong Warhammer Quest vibe though with XP going to killshots and (almost?) completely random encounters.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Papes posted:

Yeah, that or a reusable grocery bag if you aren't bringing a huge box game.

I don't understand why everything needs a "gamer" specific product.

People are terrible with money and will drop 2-5x normal price on something tagged as being for gamers, of course.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Stelas posted:

Lots. The D+D board games are the obvious place to start with your comparison, but I'm more partial to Descent 2nd ed (look up on Steam for a mod to automate the overlord if you don't wanna play 1 v many) or else Imperial Assault or else Mouse Guard or the list goes on and on.

Gloomhaven coming out in a few months might be a great addition to this list.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fat Turkey posted:

Played Power Grid for the first time this week, I really liked it considering its quite old and possibly improved upon by now, but I can see why this could be seen as a game to replace Monopoly for people who need a gateway game. It was very close and a real brain burner.

We had a problem with the end game though. The rules say the game ends when someone has at least 17 cities. We're playing with 5, and it then says with 5 players end game is triggered by 15 connected cities. Which seems contrary, so does the 15 override the 17 (in which case why doesn't the rules just point you to the table rather than saying 17). Or is connected important, meaning you can trigger end game at 17 cities total or 15 joined up cities? Or does connected mean 'supplied with electricity' like it does elsewhere in the game. Can anyone confirm what the rule is here?

The 15 from player count overrides the default 17. You trigger the game end after the building phase where someone builds into their 15th city, no matter where it is on the board. All cities count as connected, even if you have to skip over other cities in the interim to get to them. Then its simply a check to see how many cities each player can supply power to on that turn for the win.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Anyone know of a good 6 color poker chip set that would be available around Greater Vancouver or easy shipping to Canada?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

rchandra posted:

Speaking of Dead of Winter in good faith: does it ever come up that it's worthwhile for a non-traitor to use food to raise a die? I've never seen it and food usually ends up being in somewhat short supply between crises and not starving.

Tried Merchant of Venus today (the old version, as the player with the new one couldn't make it). The supply and demand mechanics are interesting and unpredictable, yet prevent farming routes to extinction, this automatically downgrades Xia for me. The game went kind of long, felt like we used a lot of time trying to figure out "where's Culture X" when considering purchase plans and when restocking, I'm not sure how much that would improve with repeat plays. Certainly poker chips would help a little. Does playing "Classic Rules" on the new FFG make it easier? And would you recommend classic over the new standard rules?

I think the Classic rules/board are cleaner to play with. The new standard adds new fiddly things to keep track of that don't drag the game down, but they don't really add much to the core gameplay either.

Edit: Although I will say I appreciate the new standard's ability of slotting a rolled 1 to get an extra die to roll, evening out dice luck in movement.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Huxley posted:

Speaking of, aside from making a post in SA Mart, what is the best way to sell used-but-complete board games?

Board Game Geek might work for that too - if you keep your collection up to date you'll likely get some inquiries over the course of a few months.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

StashAugustine posted:

Sonar sounds really cool (especially since my brother is in ROTC for subs) but it sounds like it needs a hard 8 people to play?

SUSD's review says you can play with less and even switch to turn-based if you're at too few to handle it real-time, but 6 or 8 sound like the only worthwhile player counts.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

sector_corrector posted:

That sort of sucks. I guess I'll just hang on to it, and maybe try to get it to the table at some point.

You could play up all the plastic in it to potential private buyers, I know it's the reason I haven't gotten rid of my copy yet.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Ojetor posted:

Purely by accident, I found out there's an Obsidian-developed (!) Pathfinder card game app. On a whim I tried it, since some games I dislike are tolerable in tablet form. Plus, it's free to try, so why not? After half an hour I remembered how much I hate this awful game.

The app itself is really drat good though. Easily the best board game to digital adaptation I've ever seen. If only they'd done this but with a good game instead.

Now if only they'd release the content packs in a timely manner it might be worth playing.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

bean mug posted:

Dark Moon isn't good? I haven't had the time to pick it up yet, but BSG is one of my favorite games and I know that was created as a faster alternative to BSG. :( I was hoping to pick it up eventually.

I'm with Tekopo on Dark Moon, the one time I played it I was incredibly put off by having to commit to a situation and then roll behind a screen. Being forced to drop a negative in if your dice roll poorly was not a fun mechanic for me. Just not enough control over your actions.

The rest of the game was alright aside from that, but that's kind of a big thing. I definitely won't be playing Dark Moon again.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

w00tmonger posted:

Any good 2 player legacy game recommendations? Holding on to a copy of legacy for a larger group but I'm looking at something for me and my wife

Pandemic Legacy is supposed to work perfectly fine with 2, and you could easily control 2 characters apiece if you wanted.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

w00tmonger posted:

More meant a different legacy game but I appreciate that thought

The genre's new, so you'll be waiting on it to get populated. Risk Legacy and Seafall probably wouldn't work for 2 players, Gloomhaven might but no one knows if that'll be good yet.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I'm about to dust off Eclipse for Friday night, how important is the expansion?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

al-azad posted:

Anybody who played High Frontier is it possible to run out of prospecting sights in the base game? I think there are 7 locations with automatic success so technically the answer would be "no" even in a 5 player game but majority of the sights require a roll of a 1 on a 1d6 which seems absurd. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this game is supposed to flow.

The few games I've played, most people try to be the first to get factories on the Moon, Mars, Ceres, and maybe Mercury or Venus. If you miss out on the first three and don't want to fight over the Mars sites, you can go prospecting or try for a science site. After that, you're usually trying to get a ship with advanced modules together to either send a crew for a colony or go for the 2nd factory to progress the game. Been a while since I've played the base game, are there achievements for getting a crew to X and bringing them back safe? That's another common thing, especially once you have an efficient engine.

Really though, the game end can come as a surprise if you're not paying attention to everyone else. You'll be plotting your own missions and suddenly enough people drop factories to finish it.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

al-azad posted:

Yeah, glory is in the game for returning to earth with crew.

If I'm reading this correctly you can build a factory and outpost at any claim, the claim is mainly for space ventures and free refueling rights. That certainly changes my perception of the game's flow because I was thinking claims gave you exclusive rights to build a factory.

You got some things wrong there.

From the 2nd Edition rules, since I'm not sure how finalized the 3rd Edition rules are:

At any unindustrialized claim you can land and refuel legally.
You can claim jump to steal someone's claim, if it is undefended by humans and you have your own humans there. This is a felony and you cannot do it unless you are specifically allowed to commit felonies.
It is also a felony to industrialize someone else's unindustrialized claim, and this will steal the claim.
You can land on and ISRU refuel at someone else's industrialized claim legally, but to refuel at their factory will require their permission.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My wife just loves rolling dice. Dice dice dice. Her favorite games are Elder Sign, any rpgs where she gets to roll lots of dice and Arkham Horror (sometimes, if you play your cards right, you can roll like 12 dice at once! WOW!). What games have lots of dice rolling that will hurt her poor, supportive husband the least.

Las Vegas and Wurfel Bohnanza are simple games where you roll a bunch of dice and aren't offensive as fillers.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The worst submarine posted:

What's a good board game for 9-14 sober people?

One Night Ultimate Werewolf maybe, though I'm not sure how well 14 would work around the same table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

canyoneer posted:

Not really a recommendation because I've never played it: Captain Sonar.
I want to try that game so badly :(

Isn't that 4 stations for each of 2 teams?