Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Guess what Vlaada -related kickstarter stuff I just got in the mail? :q:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygQvB6OjHOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

what the gently caress

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Oh hey I just spent an hour stickering and organising everything in the insert, the insert is very nice :3:

I will brutally destroy you (at the board game of your choosing)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

I got to play Temporum tonight. Played it twice, and I won both times. First 5 player, then 4 player.

This game is weird. It's a resource management game... except it's not. It's also an area control game... except it's not.

A thing that struck me as odd is that you only need 30 "points" to win. When you're scoring between 4~8 points every time you score, that's not nearly as many turns as you think you might get. The game seems to have all the moving parts of a much longer or complex game, yet it's short and simple. I think I might be in love.

Yeah, I played half of a game with my roommate (waiting for him to get back to finish the other half) and weird's like the only word for it. I think it's a good game, but it's definitely a cool game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

Munchkin Against Humanity: Cthulhu Dice Edition

the deckbuilder game with worker placement and area control elements

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Now with Pop-o-Matic(r) dice!

e: somebody mail this thread to yourself before Steve Jackson reads it

FWIW apparently steve jackson's really embarrassed that the only game he's remembered for anymore is munchkin, he actually did some coolish games before then (i.e. OGRE) that everyone just kind of ignores because munchkin

then again he can pretty much wipe away his tears with idiot nerd money so

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Elysium posted:

So like I was saying, this is the inside of the Temporum box:

I just noticed that the meeple bag is not even resealable. They must have spent all the component money on the fuckoff huge tri-fold board (why does it need to be that big again?).

Yeah mine looked like that too, it's absurdly stupid. I can't believe it didn't come with any resealable bags at all

the board owns though, please don't disrespect the board

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Yo, just a heads-up, Tash-Kalar's up on BGA now. You should probably be excited about that if you're not gutter trash

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yugioh is hilarious bullshit once you understand how it works.

It's the closest any of us will probably ever come to playing Mornington Crescent.

Highlights include rules clarification errata that actually renders the card completely unable to do what it's supposed to do, and significantly different prerequisites for summoning monsters based on the placements of commas and the difference between "must X" and "may not Y".

yugioh is the dumbest loving poo poo, I've got a friend who plays it and it's ludicrously broken. Like, in tournament play turn two and three wins are common, turn one wins aren't rare by any means, and IIRC there are a bunch of ways to do turn zero wins (i.e. where your opponent goes first and you kill them before you get an actual turn). The erratas are hilarious, the one time he conned me into playing it I played some deck where there was a card that made you discard two monsters from your hand to play it, only due to shoddy rules writing that didn't exclude the card itself. Essentially you'd discard it and another monster and then it would spring into play. There are combos that let you draw your entire deck in one turn, which is pretty dumb when having five specific cards in your hand wins you the game instantly. e: I should clarify, I don't mean an "oh someone theorycrafted out that this could happen if you did x" sort of combo, I mean, "this was a winning strategy at several major tournaments" kind of combo. poo poo's broke

Fat Samurai posted:

Regarding Tash Khalar, how high the skill ceiling is? I've only played a couple of times, but for the life of me I cannot imagine being able to disrupt my oponent enough to prevent a summoning, especially with the help of a flare.

It's pretty high, once you get a good read on what each of the decks can do and what patterns your opponent's generally looking for you can really get into dicking around with their patterns and defensive plays.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 26, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goodness posted:

Sounds exactly like Legacy MtG

I haven't played magic in a big way in years, but at least Wizards had the good sense to cordon that poo poo off into its own format that you could safely ignore. From what I've seen, basically every yugioh set is just a new flavor of overpowered bullshit, maybe wrapped behind a new level of rarity, maybe not.

e: oh god, almost forgot about rarity in yugioh. There's no fewer than eight levels of rarity above rare, and they keep slapping more onto the heap every few sets. it was at the point that my friend would regularly buy an entire shipping box of yugioh cards from his FLGS so he could be sure he'd get the power cards, and even then he'd almost always miss out on some

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 26, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Yowza, that's hosed

Countblanc posted:

Dang, there's actually some decent games there. I might pick up Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Is Ghost Stories pretty simple to teach? I could use a decent "straight" co-op and I'm tired of Pandemic. The guy also made a game called Samurai Spirit but the release date keeps getting pushed back.

only played ghost stories the once, but I remember it being reasonable to teach. It's definitely more complex than pandemic, but it's still not super hard to teach IIRC.

e: oh, how was tzolk'in? only game in that sale that i'm both interested in and doesn't belong to me or a friend

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 30, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

10-player battlestar.

I was part of that once and it was horrendous. Turns took over an hour to get back to you sometimes.

Also a good way to demonstrate the good/fun dichotomy, because I still enjoyed playing it because it meant I was hanging out with my friends for four or five hours but mechanically it was a clusterfuck

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 31, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Or if you don't draw Militia and/or Witch in the base game. Which is bound to happen about 90% of the time if you're using random Kingdoms. I agree with the general spirit of the post, but the lack of interaction IS a valid complain for a new player.

What's your 2nd best deckbuilder, by the way? Temporium?

There's a lot more kinds of interaction in dominion than just direct attack cards. Cards in the supply are a limited resource and if there are only a couple of good combos on the board competition for the key cards can get very cutthroat. It's the same principle as a WP game being super competitive even though there aren't usually a lot of ways to directly attack your opponents

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

WP that don't have these sort of scarcity interactions are, to be honest, not worth playing. If you want to narrow down the definition of 'attacking your opponents' into simply 'killing his dudes', then yeah, sure, that does narrow down the list.

That's exactly what I was doing, to point out that just killing someone's dudes is like, the least important way to screw over the other guy in a lot of games. My point is, if you call a WP game non-interactive because you're not directly putting a shiv in his boys you're missing the point, and Dominion's the same way to a much smaller degree

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goodness posted:

So can I just buy Intrigue and not the base dominion if it comes with a set of the base cards itself?

Yes, but if you've never played before you'll want to start with the base set anyway. It's a lot better at easing new players into the game and helping them get used to all the basic ways you can make an engine. Intrigue's the better set once you've got that down, but it's less good at doing that than the base set is

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

Chvatil is not good.

I will bleed you

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

And then someone challenged him to Twilight Struggle and he never accepted :colbert:

I'm actually the one who did that and I ended up punking out because it was late and, like a literal child, it would have gone past my bedtime. I'm still up for it if you get some time, BL

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Azran posted:

I've never played Descent or Talisman or any kind of game in that genre. What would be a good "dungeon crawler/fantasy SWAT" game? Those D&D ones?

Those or descent. Mage Knight if your group can handle it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

S.J. posted:

Mage Knight isn't even remotely anything like a dungeon crawler

It does fantasy the fantasy SWAT "wander around, murder stuff and get money/get paid" gameplay as well as any pure dungeon crawler out there and IMO the co-op mode's the best way to play the game. It's not a 1:1 thing but it definitely scratches a very similar itch

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Local Gaming Store Chat

So I recently moved across town and thus inherited a new local gaming store. In this case it is more gaming library than store. Imagine a game cafe, sans the cafe part. After having dinner w/ my family, we decided to go check it out since it was right across the street. The store is in a cute little historical artsy district of town and caters to both hardcore gamers and casuals off the street. The clientele seemed a bit stereotypical gamers so I dismissed the strong smell of stank the space had. But the longer I was there the more I thought this wasn't just normal gamer funk, this was something else. After touring the facility and having a short chat with the proprietor, I heard a weird sound coming from behind the counter. We look on the back wall and there are no fewer than 3 mother loving ferrets in cages behind the register.

Who thinks ferrets are a good thing for business with as thin of profit margins as a game library/store? Am I being a stuck up dude, or does the hivemind also find this practice unacceptable?

Uh yeah keeping live animals in your store's pretty much a no-no

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

There's a used bookstore I used to frequent where the owner allowed her cat to run around freely. I never minded that. Then again, cats don't smell like internet order sex hormone colognes, so I suppose it was a little different.

Yeah cats and maybe dogs are OK as long as the place doesn't smell like animals, but rodents are pretty much right out

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

Missing: the whole loving game

Jesus Christ

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 22, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, gonna go out on a limb and guess a whole deck or two is completely missing.

I'm honestly a little shocked at how bad their QC is, there's something like a hundred missing cards in there. That's pretty hosed up!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sinlaeshel posted:

I picked up Dungeon Lords Anniversary edition. The rule book seems... overwhelming. Even before you factor in any expansions.

My copy literally hasn't cleared customs yet. Death to Europe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

You're out of luck because the D&D adventure game series are by far the most tolerable fantasy SWAT team games, unless you like dexterity games, in which check out Catacombs. Both editions of Descent have their own share of issues, I would heavily recommend trying them before buying.

Yeah pretty much this. Mage Knight's very similar to being a dungeon crawler, but according to some it doesn't quite fit the bill. Maybe try Wrath of Asherdalon or Legend of Drizzt, Castle Raveloft was the first game in the series and presumably they would have fixed some of the weird poo poo. Otherwise Descent's OKish (apparently 2e's pretty much categorically better than 1e but I haven't done much more than look at either).

Tekopo posted:

Anyone for a game of terra mystica: http://terra.snellman.net/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70utG1L5bfU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

malkav11 posted:

I think it's much more that they value strong social interaction and politics and Cosmic Encounter is very much in that vein, even though there's little actual meat to the game.

It's so stupid because CE's like the single worst game possible for social interaction and politics. Outside of "Well Quinns hosed me last game so I'm going to make sure he loses" the only basis you've got for political interaction is "well which side of the randomly generated encounter is closer to winning the game?" and then go with the other. You can't even do a Catan-style well I'll give you six wood for a sheep just to gently caress the other guy, it's pretty much just try to be part of the n-1 bloc that's going to win the game instead of the one guy that's going to lose.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

is that a yes?

Yeah sure, give me a minute to finish registering an account.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Alright let me know your usernames on the website once you are registered up.

Username is danccrook because I'm sick as hell and forgot to use a fake name.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I don't mind taking five but I would suggest people at least get an understanding of the rules, or join me either on #boardgoons on synirc or skype for rule explanation.

I've got skype on here if you don't mind me hacking up a lung. Otherwise I'll go get an IRC client

e: skype is danccrook at gmail dot com

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 25, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

The first designer game I owned (I had played Catan several years earlier a few times) was the WoW board game. Apparently there were two of them, mine was a giant FFG thing that took several hours and involved lots and lots of dice rolling. I don't remember exactly how I made the move past that, but I do remember my group completely ignoring the PvP rules because it was such a huge setback if you got killed (and was heavily luck-based), so in retrospect us moving on to co-ops and euros is hardly surprising.

I think the next game I bought, aside from two expansions for WoW that we used literally once, was Pandemic. Pretty sure some YCS people taught it to me on BSW like 7 years ago.

Oh god I remember that game. A friend of mine bought it and suckered us into playing it , then we all got stupid and played it again a week later. It was such a colossal piece of poo poo and it took like six hours to play, it was like arkham horror on steroids or something

But yeah, I basically started with Munchkin and Fluxx and all that dumb poo poo. Worst purchase I can remember making was a copy of Zombies!!! I'd played it with some friends in a diner and had fun, then I played it again and realized that it was a boring dicefest that took way too long (but it had zombies in it!!) I think I started playing Pandemic on BSW after that, then read about some dudes in YCS playing dominion and gave it a shot, and now here we are

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

Can someone tell me a little about how Alien Frontiers plays? Like for example where does it fall on scales of cut-throat competition on one side, to multiplayer solitaire on the other? Does it feel like barely keeping your head above water?

It's an interesting concept but like Crackbone said the fact that you roll at the start of your turn means you have to do all your planning on your turn, which slows things down a lot. It's got a couple of interesting ideas, and I like the idea of a yahtzee-based game in theory, but it tends to drag a lot.

Scyther posted:

I remember busting open my copy of Zombies!!!, reading the rules, quickly putting it back in the box and gifting it to my brother.

Yeah I ended up giving my copy to the same friend who liked the resident evil deckbuilder and then cutting off contact

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

:ssh: I can count to zero on one hand.

Glory of Rome and Tammany Hall are at least OK, they probably count. Also Dungeon Lords, even though I'm never going to receive my copy (prove me wrong, CGE)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

None that are out yet. I have a kickstarter for a game called Final Attack! that should hopefully be live by the end of next week. The cat is now officially out of the bag.

Final Attack! is a real-time cooperative social worker placement card game with a board. (Seriously.) It scales cleanly from 1-5 players and takes 20-30 minutes to play. In the game, you pilot component machines to a combining anime Super Robot, and you fight giant nigh-invincible shapeshifting mechanical beasts that can only be defeated by your TV show finisher, the Final Attack, which unfortunately takes an entire episode to charge.

Here's a short (6 minute) video that lightly describes how the game is played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M23iDH1BI8

Once the campaign goes live, this thread will literally be the first to know. In the meantime, I'm willing to answer any questions or address any concerns.

I posted in the other thread, but this is extremely my poo poo, as well as extremely some of my friends' poo poo. Totally backing this day one, and I'll be doing double the minimum to get the game to make up for Jedit being a buzzkill

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It's good.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Joke Answer: Cthulhu Dice

Honestly that might be the best answer, there aren't any good Cthulhu games so it might be best to get the one that plays the quickest so everyone can get it out of their systems early.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Worth noting that there are a couple of really good, rules-enforced VASSAL modules, Twilight Struggle being the big one

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gimnbo posted:

Hey, at least the BF blind-picked a good game.

Yeah it's pretty much the acid test, either they'll play it a couple times and get scared off or we'll find out they're running multi-day 18xx tournaments in a couple months

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah! posted:

multi-day 18xx tournaments

But I repeat myself

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

people are starting to become much more discerning now

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Supreme Court posted:

Quick rule question for Kemet: If you move and attack someone, can you keep moving after the battle?

Negative, unless you've got a power that says otherwise (I don't think there's a power that does that, but I don't remember offhand)