Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
2 games I've been eyeing lately have been Nusfjord (a streamlined faster Uwe game might work for my group) and Yellow & Yangtze (likewise, a more streamlined T&E might be easier to teach), and they might be my next pick-ups. Anyone who's played them want to chime in with their impressions of the games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I thought the appeal of Nusfjord was that you can play a game in about 20min or less per player (as opposed to other Rosenbergs' 30+)

Bottom Liner posted:

I don’t think Y&Y is easier to teach actually. It’s a friendlier game but not any lighter. Each tile has a new power, battles add negotiation since others can join in, etc. Still a great game and not hard to learn, just don’t think of it as a lighter version.

Maybe so, but I remember looking up T&E and thinking that it seemed be a step too much for my group. Whereas I feel confident I'd be able to teach them Y&Y fairly easily. Maybe toying with the game on Steam a bit helped.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Rusty Kettle posted:

Y&Y has an app in early access on Steam. Bit expensive at the moment so I haven't tried it, but the company has a good track record with making good app implementations. It should be hitting mobile over the next few weeks where it where be inevitably cheaper and more convenient to play.

Thanks. I actually did try it on steam, and found it quite easy to play (having learned the rules first) which is why I think I could teach it pretty easily. I guess T&E isn't particularly heavy either, but for some reason Y&Y feels more intuitive to me.

Selecta84 posted:

Yeah, Glass Road is a good and fast Rosenberg. I just love the card mechanism and the little building combos.

Nusfjord feels a bit like Glass Road in that regard. It's all about the buildings and comboing them. Some critique that the big point building only come out in round 4 and you might get a bit unlucky. But I never really thought of it as a problem. A diverse start should allow you to play almost every card you are dealt.

And the playtime is also pretty good for a game of it's complexity. Not to long and the different decks offer a lot a variety. In our last 5 player game e.g. I came in first with 36 or so points with just 1 boat, 5 elders and 10 or so buildings. I had a nice little engine going where I would get fish and wood from using my elders. Second place had like 6 buildings (which also worked well together) or so but 4-5 boats, 3 elders and just a ton of gold from serving fish every other round.

So I quite enjoy it. And the solo play is also pretty good.
I actually quite like Glass Road, but the card play guessing game didn't go very well for my gaming partner, which is why I've been eyeing Nusfjord.

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 10, 2019

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Selecta84 posted:

2 player Glass Road ain't my favorite either, 3 or 4 players feels much better to me. It's also my only Rosenberg that I don't enjoy solo.

I'm quite glad to read that, as I haven't tried it 3-4p yet but want to. BGG rates the game 'best at it', but it feels to me like I'd prefer the non-2p mechanisms.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Here's my top 9. Lots of coops with some euros mixed in.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yellow & Yangtze is at the top of my wishlist right now.

High Society is also my go-to filler game. Always a hit when introducing to more casual players.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
When I first got into the hobby, I was getting into heavier and heavier games. Nowadays, I've actually been gravitating back towards lighter (well, relatively, which to me is medium weight games) games. There's only so many heavy rulesets you can store in your head, and teaching complex games can be a chore

For me, El Grande is still the king of 'simple to teach, but deep' elegant games.

On a sidenote, been getting into Nusfjord. It's such a smooth fast playing experience without feeling like baby's first worker placement. That Uwe Rosenberg magic.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

I have been interested in Nusfjord but I heard that the scoring cards not being revealed until late can really screw you over. Any thoughts on that?
I haven't played enough to give a strong opinion on this, but so far it hasn't been an issue. Sometimes your C cards don't work with your engine, while it suits your opponent's better, but if it's that the case, the game still gives you ample opportunities to score otherwise. We've had games where the player with more C buildings built didn't win, and you can even win without a single one.

I looked into this as well before buying the game. I feel like the issue may have been overblown because a few reviewers (rahdo, Paul Grogan) mentioned it as an issue, but it's unclear how often a game gets played before it gets reviewed. This BGG thread about the topic from players with many sessions seems to suggest it's fine https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2021067/really-problem . And I've also read that the publisher's statement on this is that the rules are to ensure that players cannot focus too much on the C building strategy from the beginning because some of them would be too strong, so this encourages players to be more diverse/flexible in the first 3 rounds.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

If you want only one and you don’t want it to be necessarily aggressive...you want el grande. Still #1 regardless but especially the area majority bit.

El Grande is so very very good.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Thinking of other games, does anyone have a challenging but not unfairly difficult coop game for 3 people? I was considering buying Robinson Crusoe ha ha ha ha ha

I know Spirit Island is a common suggestion but Im trying to see what else is out there for coop

- You laugh, but I don't find Robinson too unfair. Yes it's difficult, and there is randomness, but you can mitigate a lot of it. I don't even like randomness/dice-rolling generally, but I find it really adds to the theme/narrative here.
- As others have said, Spirit Island is top tier.
- Gloomhaven can be had for < 100$ on sale (perhaps this Black Friday?). And the only Legacy-lite parts of it are stickers, which you can negate by buying the removable sticker set for 10$, use an app, or pen & paper.
- Aeon's End is my favorite coop deckbuilder.
- Legends of Andor is a euro efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy adventure

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Has anyone played Renegade, by RickyRoyal? I've heard it was Spirit Island/Mage Knight-like.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Quirky Circuits is an excellent coop family game. It's super charming, and very easy to setup/play/learn, but I'm not sure if age 7 will understand the deduction/programming aspect of it (I will test it myself on my nephew during the holidays). The rulebook does recommend playing open hand with younger kids, so maybe those are sufficient training wheels to get into the game.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I was looking into the Arkham Horror card game. Is it true you need two copies of the game if you want to play with more than two people?

Yes. The two sets also helps out if you play 1-2p because each set only gives you one copy of most player cards. You get more deck customization options with 2 sets.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hm ok. Doesn’t that make it pretty expensive/obnoxious to get into then, if you need to buy two copies of the same thing?
If the goal is to play 3-4p, have the others contribute too!

However, I will say that if price is an issue, absolutely do not get Arkham LCG.
1) To get the full experience, you will want to get the deluxe expansion(s) to get the full (8-scenario) campaigns. Each campaign is 1 deluxe expansion + its 6 associated mythos packs $$$$$$
2) The core set campaign is 3 scenarios long and is really just a taster for the game. It absolutely is not worth 2 core sets just to only play the base campaign and nothing else.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I like Orleans well enough, and the new Trade board makes the competitive game much better. I absolutely love Invasion mode, however. It's almost always how I'll play the game. The best pure euro coop on the market imo.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I think my problem with Codenames is that for it to be interesting you need to be on roughly the same page with the other players in terms of education, cultural touchstones, etc etc.

I'm a bit of a weirdo. If I'm at a party, it's with my SO, who works in medicine, and who has many friends who work in medicine. That means that most of the people at the party will be in medicine, or be the SO of someone who works in medicine. So all of the clues will be about medicine, popular movies, tv shows, or sports that I don't watch because I'm a weirdo. Or it will be with her relatives, and then the clues will be about hunting instead of medicine. God forbid that one of the kids pulls out Disney codenames. This is exhausting and awkward, and it makes me feel even more out of place in a crowd where I already have trouble fitting in. I've just played that version of Codenames so many times that it has become the game for me.

If it's at an event with my friends, who share my interests, we'll be playing a different game, because that's why we get together.

The reason I prefer Anomia is that you don't need that common ground to play. If you have a table with a psych nurse, a doctor, a humanities PhD, a plumber, and a Dr. Phil watching housewife, the game doesn't stall out.

I can imagine that if I were hanging with my old grad school crowd (humanities folk) that we could have fun with it, but that group is also entertaining enough that we can just hang out and talk and have fun.

This post took me way too long to write.
Sounds like a similar problem with Dixit. Where people who know each will refer to specific things to others will not be privy to.

Also why I prefer Mysterium (just about the only party game I will willingly play) to Dixit. The coop nature of it means we're all equal participants, and the clues only come in the form of other pictures.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

uncle blog posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations. Planning on getting my sister and her two kids a game for Christmas. The kids are both girls, aged 10 and 13. I want the game to have at least some interaction between players, have an appealing theme (or at least be colorful), not just decided by luck and not take too long to play. Cool if it is good with both 3 and 5 players. Maybe even 2. I bought them Sushi Go a couple of years back, that was a decent hit.

Games I have considered/am considering:
Ticket to Ride, but might be too long/ not enough social interaction.
Just One, probably not as fun with 3, the 10-year old might get tired of the focus on reading and writing.
Bang The Dice Game, not great with 3, some semi-complicated rules for the youngest.
Splendor, one of my favourite games to introduce new players to, but I'm fairly tired of it myself.
Azul, can get mathy, might be too abstract.

I'm also bringing Skull, Fake Artist and maybe a couple of other games over for when I'm staying there.
Two of the classic family games playing up to 5 are TTR and Carcasonne.

TTR plays well 3-5 (for 2, you might need Nordic Countries or Switzerland maps), and there is good interaction in terms of blocking/stealing train routes. Plays in 90-120 min.

Carcassonne plays well 2-5 out of the box. 60-90 min playtime. It can be relaxing tile placement game where players are building their own pasture and towns to get the most point, or an extremely cutthroat game where players fight to the death to steal other other's grand structures.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

poemdexter posted:

My girlfriend isn't into board games but super into deck building games. We got dominion and played the poo poo out of it and thinking about grabbing expansions. We also bought the harry potter hogwarts battle against the dark arts game for my daughter. Turns out that's a deck building game and we play it more than dominion now.

Is there any other really good deck building games out there I should be looking at? We are definitely gonna snag a bunch of the Dominion expansions, but I'd love to see what else is out there.

Aeon's End is my fav coop deckbuilder. It's basically a boss raid in bgame format

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

poemdexter posted:

Aeon's End Legacy might satisfy her love of deckbuilding and my love for legacy games at the same time...

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

AE Legacy is a good intro to the series because it slowly introduces various gameplay elements. Plus, a good chunk of the content can be mixed with the rest of the series when you're done with the campaign.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

It doesn't play nearly as well at 2p as Concordia which is a problem for me. Otherwise it's a great game like most of his stuff. Still haven't heard a peep about Transatlantic, which makes me think it was not received very well.

IIRC Tom Lehmann (of Race for the Galaxy fame) made a 2p variant for Navegador

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

golden bubble posted:

1] Oceans completely replaces all the previous Evolution games for me. It's much more interactive, has more interesting abilities, the interaction between ocean zones provides some fun endgame manipulation, and the tension between standard surface cards and deep cards adds a cool layer of hand management that was largely absent from the previous games.

Thanks for your impressions. I like Evolution Climate a lot.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Lord Of Texas posted:

I've been a playtester for Oceans and I agree with him. The only caveat I would give is that Climate scales better for 5P-6P in my experience, but Oceans is definitely my preference for 2-4.

Ah, that's a shame. I usually reserve Climate for when we're 5-6p (the simultaneous phase keeps things moving briskly). I have too many games competing at the 4p medium weight space that haven't gotten enough plays yet.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Selecta84 posted:

Thinking about getting Orléons and the Invasion Expansion. Enough gameplay or do I need the Intrigue Expansion as well?
If you intend at all to play competitive, Trade & Intrigue makes the game a lot better.

However, I vastly prefer Invasion for the coop mode. For my group, Orleans is almost solely a coop game, it's so good. My fav pure euro coop. I don't care for Invasion's other modes, though.

There is no overlap between Invasion and T&I, except the new buildings can all be used in competitive mode.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
So I just watched a video review of Bus, and it looks really good. The rules seem deceptively simple, way more approachable than I would think given Splotter's super-heavy reputation.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Is Bus Splotter's "simplest" game?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
My GOTY is probably Aeon's End: New Age, though I haven't played many games from this year. I do quite like Quirky Circuits, it's the ideal gateway coop game, but too light for me to rate it higher.

Of the best 'new to me' games I've played this year, El Grande is absolutely amazing. Love it to bits, one of my favorites ever. Honorable mentions to Robinson Crusoe, Castles of Burgundy, and Nusfjord.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

4) Use the T&I Beneficial Deeds board for your first game. If you ever find the game too dry and lacking interaction, use the Intrigue board instead. Bin the base game BD board, you'll never want to use it.

I cannot second this enough.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

discount cathouse posted:

Request: A light game for 6 players that is language-independent. A couple are having both their parents over for christmas and they do not speak common languages fluently.
So far I can think of: 6 nimmt, Diamant/Incan Gold, Junk Art.

Medici

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

tarbrush posted:

Hi thread,

It's Christmas, what're we currently recommending as good gifts for kids? Age 9-12

Cheers!
Quirky Circuits is a pretty fun coop action programming family game.

TheFluff posted:

Hello board game thread! I'd like to ask for recommendations. I'm looking for a 4-player game that is physically compact, as in takes up as little space as possible in a suitcase or the like, and doesn't require a lot of table area. We're not new to board games but we're not super experienced either - we've played and enjoyed classics like Settlers, Carcassonne and Pandemic but we've also started branching out and have tried Power Grid and Archipelago recently. I'm looking to pick up Codewords, but maybe there are some other alternatives I should be aware of?
Race for the Galaxy! You can fit the whole game in a small deck box

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
In Steamforged's defense, they had no way of knowing that shipping boardgames costs money.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

HampHamp posted:

The more i play it, the more I think Spirit Island is my favourite ever cooperative board game. It just seems to tie everything together, the mechanics, the theming, the feeling of powerlessness slowly morphing into feeling unstoppable, the replayability, everything. Can't wait for Jagged Earth.

It certainly is mine. Superb game.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Does Underworld come with the new automated factions or is that purchased separately? I can never manage people to the table so the automate d factions will be helpful for me when I just want to play with my spouse

It's a separate thing. Was an add-on for the KS campaign iirc. Also only include the base game factions only.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Selecta84 posted:

Is Aeon's End any good?

A German version was just announced and I quite like card games.al

Best coop deckbuilder imo

Boxman posted:

What’s a good engine builder? our playgroup has fun with Wingspan and Gizmos, but the lack of player interaction wears on me a little. I suppose a game with a key mechanic of “assemble your table so that it can bring itself to orgasm” may not lend itself to high levels of player interactivity.

My fav engine builder is Race for the Galaxy. The player interaction is indirect, but it's there. Each turn each player simultaneously lays down a card out of 5 phases (explore, make a development, settle a planet, trade/consume goods, produce goods). Only the phases that are played are executed, and the player that played each gets a bonus during that phase. So if you can read your opponent correctly and predict what they'll play, you can get more productive turns, or screw over your opponent's turn.

If you want a more direct interaction one, Evolution: Climate lets your engines eat each other. And you are all competing for a common source of food and can bring other opponents' species to starvation/extinction. And you can manipulate the climate to bring forth an ice age or heat wave to your advantage.

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 2, 2020

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Aeon's End is easiest 2p, hardest 4p. But I've had good success playing AE Legacy and New Age 4p, losing the occasional battle. I've only played the base game and War Eternal 2p

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Funzo posted:

Finally getting Concordia to the table today at two players. Anything we should watch out for, or any beginner strategies we should know about?

Which version? If base game, play on Italia. If Venus standalone, play on Ionium (small version, as per setup - but even then, I find it plays better 3p). If you have access to other maps, Creta or Corsica are supposedly the best 2p maps.

Since scoring is really based off your cards, do not neglect buying new cards, especially corresponding to how you've been spread out your little trade empire.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Krazyface posted:

My FLGS has a copy of El Grande, but it's just for display-- the only version they're selling is the big box, with all the expansions. I kind of only want the base game, as the big box is just too big. Are the expansions worthwhile?

I haven't tried any of the expansions yet, but from my understanding King & Intrigue is well worth it. Big Box is the only way to get the full K&I set (1, 2, 3) iirc (it was incomplete in the Decennial edition).

Also, El Grande is bloody amazing.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

al-azad posted:

Hit it hard early and if you're lucky after a year you'll realize you don't want anymore new stuff.

I think this is where I'm at. Aside from expansions/sequels to games I already own and love, there's only a handful of new games I'm interested in. I'm mostly content with my library. I have about 40 games (and lots of expansions).

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Looking for recommendations for good 2 player cooperative games, preferably not too hard, complex, or expensive (over $75). We've already played:

Spirit Island
Forbidden Island
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy
various EXIT and Unlock games
Arkham Horror LCG
LotR LCG
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game
Aeon's End

My friend is hoping for something with a good amount of replayability, but I don't really mind playing through a game and moving on.
Legends of Andor (coop euro efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy adventure)

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Elysium posted:

projects, landmarks, and events). I consider them such a core part of the game now it feels ridiculously vanilla to play without them. I

These cards are so good. Really helps spice up the game. I actually only own Renaissance and have Empires on the way. Debating whether I should bother with Adventures (the various little tokens seem a bit fiddly).

sirtommygunn posted:

Never heard of it, but I'll look into it now.
It was the 2013 Kennerspiel des Jahres!

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I can't be bothered playing with strangers. I just bribe my friends with food