Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Leder Games have officially announced their next expansion for Root titled "The Underworld," promising to add:

"The Corvid Conspiracy" (Crow faction)
"The Great Underground Duchy" (Mole faction)
New double-sided board (featuring lake & mountain terrains)
New game deck with new effects.

Hitting Kickstarter on March 14th. I'm pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The End posted:

Hopefully a bit more balance testing this time

More is always nice, but they've got to print it eventually. I think they did a pretty great job with the base & Riverfolk overall. Slight tweaks to Lizards to bring them up a bit, and a little nerfing to Vagabond, all present in the updated rules, are about the most they really needed as far as modifications.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mayveena posted:

I will not explain rules while someone is on their phone or tablet. Period The End of Discussion.

Yeah, I've legit stopped talking mid-sentence if I notice someone not listening as a result of device distraction. In fact just last week I was teaching Teo to a group, did this, and the gal said "Go ahead, I'm listening," to which I just continued to wait silently until they put the phone down. The point was made. :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Megasabin posted:

I walked away very interested in trying more Terraforming Mars and less interested in the (difficult) task of getting Millennium Blades to the table again.

The opposite of my life, in a sentence.

Coincidentally I played my 6th or 7th game of Millennium Blades yesterday as well (3p) and it was some of the most fun I've ever had with the game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

CommonShore posted:

I feel as if a month or two ago this thread was heaping praise on MB

I mean, “this thread” consists of more than one opinion about most things. I don’t care for Dominion, for example, but will play market row DBGs happily.

Some people dig MB, some find it highly flawed. Some of us acknowledge its flaws, but love it all the same for being a fairly unique and thematic experience.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I’m a fan of Great Western Trail, Isle of Skye, and Broom Service. Should I buy Mombasa for ~$30? (All Alexander Pfister games, to clarify the connection)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I feel like Pulsar 2849 really went under the entire industry's radar when it came out in 2017, but I played it a second time tonight and it's super rad. Really clever dice drafting system that rewards/penalizes weak/strong dice, lots of paths to victory, great visual presence, heavily modular elements for high replayability... it's a winner. Highly recommend.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So after making a conscious decision not to purchase Gloomhaven through either Kickstarter or at retail (as I have had doubts that I would play it enough relative to the rest of my sizable library to justify the cost/experience enough of what it has to offer), I ended up winning a free copy today at a local event. I'm working on punching everything and getting relatively organized, but figure I'd ask here for anything I should know going into the game for the first time (aside from obvious stuff like "don't open things until instructed to do so"). Dos, don'ts, tips, whatever. HALP

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

silvergoose posted:

Finally got to play Blackout Hong Kong. I have no idea what people are yelling about with the looks, it seemed fine to me. Not gorgeous or anything but muh? Is it just that the board has a black background instead of a light one? The cards are very pretty, especially the different Leader art. The die faces were pretty bad, I'll admit.

The only major issue I had with the graphic design on Blackout was the fact that they put a single, shared resource wheel on the main board and separated the turn order/current phase tracking to be on each player board and has a different person tracking it every turn. When I played we had several instances of those slower thought-out turns where we'd have someone go, "Okay wait, whose turn is it/what are we doing right now?" and would have to find where the phase marker around the table. Additionally, that shared resource wheel would get so cluttered and full of cubes that it was nearly unreadable. Both seem like relatively minor things I realize, but swapping the two elements (having everyone manage their resources independently on their board, and having a single central phase track to manage) seems like it would have simply been an improvement.

This all said after only one play; maybe benefits to the way it's all laid out are more apparent after multiple plays, idk.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

discount cathouse posted:

Quinns is straight up telling people they're not real gamers unless they back 150$ kickstarters.

I just watched the Blood on the Clocktower video, and certainly didn't see that sentiment anywhere. Are you referring to something else?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Played our first game of Escape Plan last night. I think it'll serve as a nice "intro to Lacerda" for people wanting something a bit more medium-weighty, but otherwise it doesn't quite live up to his last couple offerings. It feels prohibitively short by design, in terms of total turns a player will get and what they'll be able to accomplish before the end, while still running long in play time. We ran a little over 2 hours with 4 players, and I think the maximum number of turns any of us took was 11, with the low end being 8. I'm sure that like any game ever, the play time would accelerate once we became more familiar with everything, and if it were closer to a 90-minute game with 4 I'd probably have a stronger opinion of it.

On the other hand, the theme is pretty fun and unique, and I appreciate that it supports 5 players which is a space my personal library is often lacking in when it comes to proper strategy games. There's some interesting decisions in terms of the tile placement of the city map by the players; there's simultaneously a desire to place tiles and their locations in a way that make them easy to access for yourself, while also trying not to help your opponents who have the same goals. As such, if you choose to keep your distance from other players it can be helpful in keeping your Notoriety down (generally a good thing to do), but being separate means the aforementioned placement of tiles can punish you if everything is too far away to put to use.

It's one I'll be happy to play another time or two to feel out a bit more, but at the end of the day I'm not sure it survives in the shadow of Lisboa.

Speaking of, why the hell has no one picked Lisboa in the Goon Game Draft thread yet? Ya savages.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I came into this thread a few weeks ago with that exact same "what should I know" question for Gloomhaven, got all the same responses you're getting now, and it was all 100% valid.

Especially the negate damage rule. Even after having it mentioned here, and having read through the rules multiple times, I forgot it and proceeded to get my Tinkerer hit with a crit and dead in two turns (alongside a Scoundrel and a Mind Thief). After they limped along for a couple rounds I was reminded of said rule, and we sort of fudged it and brought me back to life, after which we went on to just barely win the scenario. Would have been a lot more comfortable with me playing every turn instead of taking a brief nap. :v:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

al-azad posted:

Hmm, I didn't realize Lacerda's Terraforming Mars was already on Kickstarter.

It just went live this morning.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

VanguardFelix posted:

So I’m going to be playing Terraforming Mars this weekend with a few people that basically play it on loop.

Are you coming to my house? My roommate and his play group play the game once or twice a week, and on the occasion that they have more people than a single game (of anything worthwhile) will support, they just play two concurrent games of TM. I've debated the issues/merits of the game with them on multiple occasions, but it's just their thing. It's like people who are deep in a TCG rabbit hole; that's what they play, it's their lifestyle game, and is the only thing they want to put all their mental energy into. Except in this case it's just an alright game of card combos that runs twice as long as it should for its level of complexity. The worst part is my roommate has a sizable collection of games ranging from just as good to better than TM that just collect dust and never get played because of their addiction to Mars.

None of which answers your question about getting up to speed, aside from to say that the game isn't really that complicated. I've played it a few times and each time was with a good gap between where I had to relearn a bunch of core stuff, and it never takes long. For any issues it may have, I think they do a pretty good job with making a million different card effects intuitive with their iconography, once you're familiar with how everything reads.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

On another note, anybody else played Dinsosaur Island? We picked it up after absolutely falling in love with it at a con. I would call it Jurassic Park and 90s hypercolor themed Puerto Rico, with a good amount of random objective and tile selections to keep strategy fresh every game. The only downside is the only dino meeples you get are little pink Stegosaurus - I wanted more variety!

My group has gotten several plays out of the base game, and one play with the Liquid expansion. It's a solid lightweight worker placement, though the theme goes a long way for it I think. Similarly there's a game called Dinogenics which is also about building your own dinosaur theme park, but I haven't had a chance to try it.

As for D.Island, the expansion is several modular bits you can add in which I'd recommend looking into; especially private objectives and the Blueprint module, which gives each player a different pattern of attractions & exhibits to place in specific places in their park, netting a pretty significant score bump at the end game if they fill their whole park while 100% matching their blueprint. Those two things inject some variance to player strategies so everyone doesn't feel as samey, and albeit it's only been that one play, we really thought it was an improvement.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Qubee posted:

Weird question: what board games are pretty decent for taking to a park and just playing on the grass when it's sunny out? poo poo like Terraforming Mars and Scythe have too many moving pieces that'd be a nightmare to 1) transport and 2) set up, especially if it's windy.

Hive comes to mind.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Shadow225 posted:

It's not a good look if you're deflecting a well placed question from a dying forum. Way to gatekeep.

In theory you're not wrong, but at the same time I'd wager the guy asking won't find anyone still posting here on SA that has played an Ascension expansion newer than year 3 or 4 anyway, so it's still valid advance to try other communities where Ascension is more widely enjoyed/played.

I played one game of Ascension X (I think?), the Light and Dark one, and it was... fine? It felt to me that years 2-4 were some of the best ideas before the stuff I've seen (but admittedly not played) looked like it was really reaching to try to be unique without actually improving gameplay too much.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

Yamatai is good.

But is it “must own it before it’s gone” good? Because otherwise I think the sentiment stands: there’s a reason they aren’t being reprinted.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

3x Food Chain Magnate (twice with new milestones) - Not only are they fun to explore, I think they will seriously help the longevity of the game at this point. There are still 3 openings, clearly marked now, but they don't feel nearly as scripted and the game opens in much more dynamic ways. A few key things we noticed: eternal marketing being moved to later milestones makes the game ebb and flow more instead of causing an arms race early for demand. RG and Marketer openers feel pretty well balanced, with RG being the safe flexible pick. Trainer will still be a powerplay and even stronger now allowing for huge plays late game. Marketer will probably be somewhere in the middle, with the -2 range at dinnertime helping keep you in the game. Pizza bomb is great when you can isolate the placement from others' restaurants and capitalize on it. Or use it to screw them if they go into burgers. The bank seemingly breaks faster thanks to a combination of things, notably the Marketer milestone syphoning money pretty quickly. First Lemonade (train employees on the job) is probably going to be the common rush of those first sale milestones. We're going to try the new reserve cards next (all add $200 but the base price can adjust to $5 or $20). Combined with the new milestones, games could go really fast with $20 sales being base.

Great recap. Playing with the new milestones myself tomorrow. Fuckin hyped!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think I asked earlier but is anyone else going to Origins?

I'm coming in for just a couple days for work, Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. I doubt I'll have time for much actual gaming this year unfortunately. :(

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

silvergoose posted:

So I played Underwater Cities for the first time, and I had a blast. 3 player, teacher ended with 95, my wife got 100, and I had a ridiculous 129 with that city of bio dreams and the endgame card that was points for bio domes or whatever they're called.

The overall genre felt kinda like Terraforming Mars, except the things you're doing are interesting decisions. And, seriously, filling my city with those red domes was super satisfying.

This has been on my "want to play" list since seeing it and hearing it hyped up at BGG Con in November. Has it had a US retail release? I feel like I haven't seen it on shelves anywhere yet (and rarely shop online/import, because I'm a sap).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Arcane Wonders announced today that they're handling the US distribution of Smartphone Inc.

Anyone play this already / have opinions on it? I've heard mostly good things, but always curious to hear the Goon perspective.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 5, 2019

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Home from my 48 hour in-and-out work stint at Origins for the weekend. Sadly didn’t have time to play much at all, but did get to sample PlanB/NextMove/Eggertspieles latest upcoming stuff: Era, the new “roll and build” from Matt Leacock, and 5211, a new abstract card game.

Era was really cool, and it’s components and table presence are top-notch. Tons of 3D plastic buildings which you add to a 14x14 peg board to create a medieval domain. Rolling dice gives you different resources, though until most roll & writes its inspired by, each player has their own set of dice which can vary based on which buildings are constructed. Only had a chance to play it 2p with a coworker but it was pretty great. Price will be a stumbling point for some I think ($70 MSRP) but drat it has a ton of quality production to back it up, albeit with lighter game play.

5211 was really fast, like 10-15min play time. Each player has a hand of 5 cards, then simultaneously selects and places two face down for a simultaneous reveal. Everyone draws back to 5, then repeats with a single cards, refills hands, and repeats one more time with a single (thus 5-2-1-1). Then based on player count and which cards/colors were played players either score all their cards of a specific suit of card, or whichever suit is in the majority among those revealed which didn’t meet or exceed a designated card limit (also determined by player count). Repeat through the whole deck, score the values on the cards you collected. It’s interesting and unique, and driven a lot by trying to guess / second-guess what colors you think your opponent(s) will play, but without any specific knowledge of what is in their hand, just based on rough card counting/likelihood at best. It’s interesting, and I want to try it with more than 2 as well.

The only thing I picked up for myself was a copy of Shobu from Smirk & Dagger, which is a new 2p abstract with a really unique feel and awesome wood/stone piece aesthetic. Across four 4x4 boards each player has 16 pieces of their color. When you move a piece on one board, that same direction and distance is mirrored on one of the other boards, and your objective is to push opposing colors off the edges of the different boards, and winning requires you to get all opposing pieces off one of the four boards. First impressions were super positive, even though I rarely get to play the swath of 2p stuff I already own, so idk if I’ll get much time with it, but drat it looks nice regardless!

Also I managed to bump into Bottom Liner this morning, recognized him from his LTEC videos, and chatted for a few minutes before I had to rush off to my next thing. Good to say hello dude!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Pax Pamir really looks like one of those rare cases for me of kicking myself for not getting on board with the KS. I'm usually a pretty easy sell on stuff, if it even partially appeals to my gameplay or design sensibilities, and it definitely does- not sure why I didn't end up backing. Le sigh.

If anyone here who backed ends up not being into it, I may be up for buying you out of your pledge. :)

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Wow, that's terrible. Here's to hoping it doesn't affect Eggertspiele too much by proxy; CranioCreations (the company behind that tweet) are just localizing the game, but I'd wager plenty of people will see it and say "well gently caress THAT game" :/

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chill la Chill posted:

Would be insane if this was all owned by a single person

...Can't tell if serious

The minis from all those games would all fit on a couple normal shelves, discounting mega Cthulhu. I know people with over a dozen full-sized bookcases and/or display cases for their miniatures, all full top to bottom. Miniatures addicts are hardcore.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Have also never run out of components of any type at any player count in FCM. YMMV, I guess, but seems like a pretty fringe case.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

jivjov posted:

I assume Food Chain Magnate wouldn't be available through normal distribution channels? My FLGS does a pay-as-you-can layaway program for regular customers and that's how I get most of my high-dollar board games these days...but I'm gathering that the guys who make FCM are a rather small time operation?

I can say that their NA distribution partner is 100% sold out, but yes, you may be able to find one-off copies at random FLGS. But sounds like not at your store offering layaway. :(

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

Tiny Towns isn't a roll-and-write, even in Town Hall mode.

It (and a variety of other games) are relative cousins to the roll & write genre though, 100%. It's very possible if someone is enjoying R&Ws they'll find similar things to like about Tiny Towns.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

canyoneer posted:

When I'm the Rules Explainer, especially on games I don't have a lot of experience with, I try to look up rules videos online or if someone on BGG made player aids. Seeing other people explain the rules sometimes opens up good approaches or ideas for explaining them, even if you already know the rules pretty well.

Yep, all of this.

I'm 100% the rules guy for my group, partially by proxy of being the guy with the big collection and semi-regular new game influx, and partially because I don't have a lot of faith in other people putting the work in to learn a new game well enough to teach it. Stuff like the above (watching videos, referencing player aids) is part of it for me, as well as just simply setting up the game in advance, walking through some turns on my own, really digging into things and smoothing out any bumps I encounter in the rules as written by checking BGG for related questions, etc. It takes some effort to fill that role well, and I commend people who take the time to do it well.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
My Gen Con list:

Scythe modular board from Meeple Source (hitting stores soon, but I pre-ordered for pick up with them a while ago)
Era from Eggertspiele (it's pricey for what equates to a 3D roll & write, but I played it at Origins and really enjoyed it)
Fight Club from Mondo (2p deck-building where each player is a side of the main character's psyche; love the movie & book, sounds like a fun take on the theme)
Team 3 from Brain Games (team-based stacking where one person sees a pattern but can't talk, a second player can see their gestures but can't touch the pieces, and a third player has to follow the 2nd player's direction to construct the pattern from the 1st player with their eyes closed - super light but sounds really entertaining)
Q.E. from BoardgameTables.com (didn't back their KS, but a good friend highly recommended it)
Teotihuacan expansion
Captain Sonar expansion
Decrypto expansion

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

OgreNoah posted:

There's also the Century Golem 2nd part debuting at Gen Con.

Yeah, I've got that on my list to take a look at. I own the original Golem Ed., and made my group replay it a couple weeks ago in light of them announcing the subsequent Golem titles. I'm not convinced it's something I really need the whole series of, and I didn't love Eastern Wonders on its own when I demoed it. But who knows, con hype is real.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh thanks for this info, didn't know it would be available anywhere. That'll be the only new game I buy I guess.

Yeah, it's on the BGG Gen Con Preview tool, which is in general a super useful pre-convention tool. You can even pre-order directly from it now, too.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Frozen Peach posted:

I've never been to GenCon before though so I'm starting to freak out a bit.

You can’t really prepare for it. But you’ll be fine.

Volunteering on a demo staff can be a great way to test the waters in my experience (as someone who first started attending various game industry events as such a volunteer in ~2011 and turned that into full time work in said industry since 2014). You’ll get a feel for the crowds and spectacle of it all, just from a limited view point. I don’t know what Indie’s scheduling is like, but presuming you’re in their booth for a majority of the show means you won’t have time to be overwhelmed by all the other options, events, etc.

Then if you’re good with the vibe, come back next year on your own and see all the non-vendor Hall things.

Regardless, it’s impossible not to have fun (even if you’ll be 100% exhausted by day two).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Among my few Gen Con acquisitions I managed to get a copy of Letter Jam from CGE, which was not even on my radar going into the show. A friend introduced it to me as "Hanabi meets Scrabble/a word game" and I was pretty shocked I hadn't heard about it yet; Hanabi is one of a very select few co-ops I actively enjoy, and also love trying to test my vocabulary in word games. Turned out to be a ton of fun and easily my favorite new game I got from the show (out of only a few non-expansion purchases).

Everyone starts being dealt a number of random cards (each with one of 22 or 23 letters on them; no J, Q, Z, etc.) and from them constructs a 4 or 5 letter word. They then randomize the letters and hand them to their neighbor who lays them out face-down in a row in front of them, then taking their left-most letter and standing it up facing away from themselves (ala Hanabi). The group's goal is to "give clues", which is to spell words using letter they can see (all the other players' letters + a few dummy players, dependent on player count, + a wildcard) to help people figure out what their letters are. Using a hidden worksheet each player tracks the words that are spelled so they can deduce the letters they have, one at a time. Once the group runs out of clues (a finite amount, can't continually regain them like in Hanabi) then everyone A) tries to unscramble the 4-5 letters they have in front of them to spell the word their neighbor gave them at the start, and B) literally rearranges the face-down cards to (hopefully) reveal it correctly. Points then scored collectively for how many correct letters people deduced. SUPER FUN if you like word games. Highly recommend. Not sure when it's hitting stores, but should be any time now.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

al-azad posted:

I’m planning on it. Don’t want a replacement, it has character.

I assume you got my PM about this, but if not, be sure to take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Sup goons. Been a minute since I've come around. My copy of Import/Export Definitive Edition showed up today (hype!), and I recall way back when the Kickstarter ran and they announced they'd be distributing the game in random colored boxes, some folks here mentioned being open to some game swapping upon receipt. I received the green box (e: with a Hong Kong flag), which is fine, but red was my hope, so figured I'd put feelers out. Leaving mine in shrink for the moment. PM me if you're interested in a swap!
Hope everyone's been enjoying their gaming. :toot:

Merauder fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 8, 2021