Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Style of the game reminds me more of Earthbound than Space Funeral. I guess both of them fit into the same vein "weird game about beating up weird poo poo". I'm skeptical of how much your choices actually matter, but hell I'll probably try this game out just because the style is interesting. Don't have :10bux: to spare at the moment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FZeroRacer posted:

If you don't know, the developer made a previous title also called Lisa which was in the style of Yume Nikki and the various games that used it for influence, except horribly horribly hosed up. It was, well, interesting to say the least.

You say that like Yume Nikki isn't hosed up itself.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Am I completely hosed if my entire part got killed during russian roulette? Everyone but Olen died and then Olen vanished so now I'm alone and can't find anyone else to join up with. poo poo sucks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The more I play this game the more my original assessment of it being Earthbound on hard drugs seems accurate.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I beat this game for the first time I got joyless ending. I knew what was coming, but still felt like a piece of poo poo about it.

Really good game. The most effective RPG I've played in ages.

EDIT: The more I think about the ending the sadder it gets. Marty obviously treated Brad like a piece of poo poo so Brade has no idea how to raise a kid properly. He ends up making the same mistakes as hist lovely dad, and Buddy hates him as a result. Brad doesn't want to be like his dad but ends up doing the same poo poo, and he blames himself for not being good enough to avoid that. Then you finally meet Mart again, and he's magically turned his life around and now Buddy admires him. And from Brad's perspective that's just impossible, and you can't really blame him for that.

Its all very sad and says a lot about how family violence ends up as a vicious cycle.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 28, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where the hell do you find Bo? I've been trying to recruit all the party members I missed but I can't find this guy anywhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How the hell did you beat Charmy without firebombs and exp from smashing the Rando grunts in the first place? Only way I could see going to him first working was if you pumped your entire party full of joy and also got lucky wit the RNG.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Brad doesn't really need to use joy anyways. If he goes into withdrawal you can just spam fireball for decent damage.

Million Ghosts posted:

Sadly poo dude was my first scarifice in russian roullete but he will live in my heart.

I decided I'd finally give that guy a chance if he managed to survive 3 rounds of roluette. So far he hasn't come close.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

see you tomorrow posted:

e: I didn't think he did a great job uh, conveying how evidently horrible Brad was to Buddy, since almost everything we see in the intro is fairly pleasant. She just hits you with it at the end of the game and you're kind of left to go "oh I guess you were a real shitbag off-camera Brad."

Well, you do see Brad struggle with alcohol and joy abuse during the intro and some problems obviously came from that. That said, I don't think you're supposed to view Brad as actually being horrible to Buddy. He genuinely was trying his best to raise her, but he wanted to keep her locked up for her own safety. Naturally, Buddy came to resent that. You'd probably feel the same way about being locked in a cave for most of your time, no matter how nice your captor is. So Buddy begins to view Brad as more of a tormentor than protector, and she probably gets a lot of bad ideas from Brad's friends to reinforce this view.

Also I had no idea the soundtrack included character art. I read some and now I'm sad again. Turns out the horrible drunk I ignored because he annoyed me had a reason to be horribly drunk :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm kind of surprised how bad the game managed to make me feel for Rando with so little said about his actual background. You only learn a little but that's enough to form a lot of ideas about the kind of life he lived.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I lost Geese in a fight to the mutant in the snow area. He straight up bit his head off, which shocked me since I didn't think that could even happen. Of course, then the next enemy I ran into soft locked the game so I had to reset anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Harvey Fishman is the best character in the game and should be used at every opportunity.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The game takes quite some time if you manage to visit every area and find every secret, but your probably not gonna do that on your first run. I mean I tried to do that but couldn't simply because navigating an entire 2D map is kind of confusing. Lost track of which doors I hadn't gone through.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think this game is kind of misleading with how it talks about choices.

The game isn't really about the choices you make as a player. The game is about Brad, and the choices he makes that lead his life down a path to ruin. Descriptions of it make it try to sound like yet another game where choices are supposed to have significant consequences and you can change things. Well, choices do have consequences, but you're not supposed to be able to change the ultimate result. Not sure why the game marketed itself as something where that isn't the case. I can see it being done to trick you into thinking you can change Brad's miserable life only to realize he's too far gone. I don't think tricking the player like that really works though, in most cases I imagine people just get frustrated because they thought it was a different kind of game.

I think if your choices really altered the ending the game would be a lot weaker. However if you came in under the expectation that they would, and I can definitely see why you would think that, I can understand being annoyed with the ending.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

2. The Restaurant: Everything about this place is dirty and hosed. I'm still parsing everything that went on in that scene.

Wally's is one of my favorite areas in the game because it manages to be extremely hilarious and disturbing at the same time. Something I didn't notice on my first playthrough is you can actually hear laughter echoing in the distance as you make your way through the village.

Anatharon posted:

What's the song played during the last fights called in the OST?

The End is Nigh

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Justin_Brett posted:

He was on the money with Shocklord. Is he one of the only party members that never tries to attack you in that fight? Do any just not care?

Some of them feel conflicted about attacking you and will waste turns because of it. Others actively want to kill you because they think you are hosed up/are assholes themselves.

Unrelated; I was looking at some of the sound effects included with the game and apparently it used the sound WAY different. There are 9 songs included with them that are unused battle themes with a completely different tone. I guess the closest comparison I can make is the old sounds seem more like Final Fantasy than Earthbound. They seem a lot more upbeat.

VVV Figured. It sounds like it came from a completely different game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 23, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh good, I can't wait to feel horribly depressed all over again!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I would consider Percy surviving Russian Roulette to be bad luck.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I kind of like Percy.

He makes such a bad first impression that he always is first in line for roulette, and I've never had good luck with that so he just blows his brains out. So I've never really given him the time of day but frankly I don't want too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Geese was my best pal in my first run. After beating the game I looked at his character card and suddenly I didn't like him as much.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I don't really like Buzzo at all. I think he does a good job of tormenting both Brad and the player themselves with way he fucks with your progression, but in the end nothing happens with him. He's an rear end in a top hat, you hate his guts, but the game ends before any meaningful confrontation or motive for his actions. In a world full of random assholes loving you over Buzzo manages to be the biggest one, but the plot sets him up to be more than that. Yet nothing ever comes of him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bloodmoon Rising is probably my favorite track in the game;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_dvcRAa-c0

homeless poster posted:

this is the best track in the entire game full stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

Though this one is also great. Lots of great tracks for all the different areas and battles. I wish more RPGs went the Earthbound route of having tons of battle themes instead of just like, 4 for the entire game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe he thought it was gonna be a black comedy where terrible stuff happens but all the characters are awful people so you don't feel bad laughing at them.

Which is kind of true. Almost everyone in LISA is awful, just not for funny reasons. Pretty sad that Rando is probably the nicest guy in the game when you think about it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think it happened and don't remember it being implied anywhere outside of Brad's hallucination where he was of course assuming the worst possible outcome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Brad is right and has good intentions but is ultimately too hosed up to be a proper parent, which is why Buddy ends up resenting him. He can't protect her because he can't protect himself when he keeps caving into his drug addiction.

This is why Brad is my favorite protagonist. Very rarely do you get a main character who is flawed in such a realistic way. You want to see Brad succeed because you know he's a good guy that just had a hosed up life, but things are so out of his control that he can't. Watching it all spiral downhill for him is horribly painful. The part where Buddy tells him nobody has hurt her more than him is just awful. :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is the gimmick of this game that you don't have any party members?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Or you just sell Terry off because those items and the exp he provides as a later fight are worth more than him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Geese's made me really sad when I played. Its gets even more hosed up when you read his bio and then realize a psychotic serial killer is pitying Brad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly the limited save points sounds annoying too me not because of difficulty but because the layout of the map makes me backtrack constantly because I can never keep track of where the hell I am. Trying to find save points would be really annoying.

Really hope the next game has a map.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I finished the Joyful after binging the entire thing today. This is without a doubt the most depressing game I've ever played. Everything is terrible forever. Rando! :qq:

Question though; Does taking joy change anything in the game. I went through the entire game without using it at all up until the fight with Yado's perfect mutant. By that point I had literally used every healing item I had other than joy so I had no choice but to take it even though I was thinking it would gently caress everything up. Then I found out about the vaccine and realized I may have just been making things way harder for myself without realizing it.

This game really is amazing though. I haven't felt so emotional about a story in awhile. I'm gonna make myself less depressed by listening to the awesome soundtrack :sax:

Anatharon posted:

Incase anyone wants to know what the other post-credit dialogues are, I've seen two. Not sure what the "Yado" one is, though.

I got this one. It explains exactly what Yado's plan was.

Yado says he wanted to start a huge war that results in every getting killed or turned into joy mutants. He thought after Buddy finished killing everyone she would turn and the Yado would wipe out any other survivors with his mutants. Buzzo tries to stop him but Yado shoots him.

VVV Where's the Joy Lab? I thought I found everything but must of missed that.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 26, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Metroixer posted:

I tried googling for this but I'm afraid of spoilers. I only have Sindy Gallows left but have no idea where to find him? What I did manage to read was that I need the joy mask which is something I don't have either.

You don't need any of the hidden masks for anything. Gallows is found by jumping into the hole at the start of the second area with an eagle over it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

pon alien posted:

The new music's good. Just going to throw that out there.

Brokentooth March is probably my favorite track in both games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have absolutely no idea how anyone could consider this DLC difficult unless you're an idiot who never uses their items. Which is probably the case for a lot of players because people are stupid and hoard crap they should be using, but that's not Dingaling's fault. For context, I didn't lose a single fight until the second half of the game because I used my healing items properly. In the second half I only died because I ran out and refused to use joy because I thought it would affect the story. Joy is a full heal with a buff on top that the game gives you an absurd amount of. If you actually use that, you shouldn't have any problems.

Not that I think the gameplay is good mind you, its just not hard at all. The combat itself is super lackluster because you only have one party member for large chunks of the game who really only has one attack. There's no variation in what Buddy does. Bleed out an enemy and chain stun it with fluster if its vulnerable to it. This will get you through almost every fight. The only exception are ones where the enemy can chain stun you, which is complete bullshit in a single party member game. I got stunned from full health down to zero once. Stuff like that is rare but should never happen. Dunno why any of the enemies can even use stuns.

As for the plot, I liked it. Buddy's character was expanded upon in a way I didn't expect. It had pacing issues that suffered from just being DLC rather than a full game though. Its rough around the edges but I still think its a good follow up to the main game, ending the story in a suitably hosed up and miserable manner.

EDIT: Thinking about it more I really wish this had been a full fledged sequel rather than DLC. I think there's a lot of potential here with the story and mechanics that could of been exceptional if they were fleshed out more. I'm still okay with what we got though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anatharon posted:

Really? The ending is actually pretty positive if you picked "Leave them" and not "Join them"

In the former Buddy has made peace with her past. She buries Buzzo and Rando, which is a part of that. Brad's mutant self has semi-stabilized and apparently Buddy has a kid, which... Might be a good thing? Though I suppose the future is really uncertain.

It's really the leadup that completely rips your heart out of your chest and force-feeds it to you. Even the nice warlords like Lardy and Mr. Beautiful are dead, Rando is dead, Buzzo tries to redeem himself right before dying, Yado is feeble, cowardly little wretch so you don't even get any satisfaction from killing him, Joy is still absolutely everywhere and tons of other people died.

Yeah I guess that's a happy ending by the game's standards. Its just still terribly hosed up in so many ways. Mutant Brad being alive is what really makes me uncomfortable with it. I guess if he's mentally stable its a positive thing...sort of. Given how joy mutants act its hard to think of it as a nice thing. Buddy holding Yado's trumpet gives all sorts of bad vibes as well.

Buddy Jr. is going to have a very troubled life growing up with psycho mom and grandpa flesh heap.

Anatharon posted:

Honestly it would have been a way bigger and better twist if Rando simply left and never came back.

I can agree with that. Rando dieing felt like a forgone conclusion. I wasn't expecting him to just straight up leave without saying a word though. That was pretty sad to me because I didn't see it coming. Having him show up again just to die felt unnecessary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

homeless poster posted:

i don't know man, that sounds like the disasterous "legitimate rape" talking point to me. if you can't see that there isn't a forgivable context for raping someone then i don't know what to say. doing something because you're coerced or held at gun point or whatever is still the cowardly way out, and i don't feel like that excuses the action.

still though, knee-jerk exceptionalism for rape. amazing :tipshat:

You appear to have the mental maturity of a teenager. You probably shouldn't be playing LISA.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Man I knew as soon as I saw the rope it was just going to be this again and I climbed it anyways.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does Garth ever become worth a drat or is he forever underwhelming?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The moral of LISA; everything is terrible forever. Have fun!

Anatharon posted:

One of the funniest things in the stream:

Well the first game created the expectation that we shouldn't use joy because it gives you the bad ending!

You know the bad ending that's...almost identical to the regular one. So taking joy doesn't really change anything in either game and you're just punishing yourself for not doing it.

gently caress :suicide:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 27, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I had no major problems with the basic story in Painful. Its a lot more grim than LISA but that's because so much stuff from the first game is coming to its conclusion. I think it has pacing problems that suffer from it being DLC rather than a full game. If it had more content then it probably wouldn't be be so overwhelmingly dark because there would be room for more stuff to lighten it up. It probably would of been better as a full game story wise, but the gameplay absolutely does not support that. The gameplay is poo poo and I won't defend it, though I still think its trivially easy outside the few enemies that can chain stun you.

I don't get how you could think its a bad fanfic of the first cause I get the impression Dingaling had almost the entire story planned out before making either game. At least everything involving Lisa herself, which is where the real disgusting stuff is.

EDIT: Honestly the only part of the story I didn't like was Rando's death because it felt forced. That's it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really question how she's out of character at all. What exactly does she do that conflicts with what she said in LISA?

VVV I kind of feel like the gameplay was supposed to support this. Buddy starts off relatively weak compared to Rando and you have to lean on him to survive in fights at the start. As you progress Buddy becomes strong enough to readily stand on her own. It just feels rushed because the game is so short.

Just another reason the story would or worked better as a full game.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 28, 2015

• Locked thread