Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

Don't try to reason with him, anyone that wants to customize their user experience past what the OEM intends/allows is a hopeless sperglord, and Literally Hitler.

Do you theme gmail too? If so, you're at least Hitlerian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

At least it's a one-off.

Remember when Samsung used bad NAND in some Galaxy S models (I think it was the Canadian one) and they had like a 70% failure rate but they'd replace it once and after that gently caress you?

This is of course the same model that had disconnected GPS antennas in the T-Mobile and AT&T models and lovely GPS in all the others including the Google Nexus S.

Remember how this was good enough to make Samsung the only profitable Android OEM?

I was thinking about how my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch wasn't so bad. It was thin, Touchwiz wasn't *so* offensive when Android was semi-broken out of the box, and I never had problems with it.

Except my first one didn't have working wifi out of the box.

And my second one had GPS that never worked correctly -- if it didn't connect, it needed a reboot; and if it did connect, it took forever.

And the battery swelled up and needed to be replaced.

As for the "4G" -- I never once got WiMax to connect, even in downtown SF. I deliberately forced roaming on my phone and streamed Google music while I was sleeping so they would cancel my contract.

Sprint & Samsung should put all their executives on a South Korean ferry.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

My bank's app isn't compatible with my Nexus 6. =(

Seems like this complaint should go in the rooted thread.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Nah, just sign into your google account and you're good to go. Your phone should have perfectly sane and reasonable defaults.

Unless you want to change the bootscreen or something.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Is the N6 still the go-to phone when looking to buy off-contract?

Was it ever?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

If I format and then fill an SD card to capacity with dick pics, does it overwrite all sectors enough to make any old data unrecoverable? How about the all of the user accessible internal storage on a phone with no SD card?

Yeah you wouldn't want some creepy stalker to start calling the anime club

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I have had zero problems with my N5.

Until about an hour ago.

This happened automatically to my lockscreen and it will not go away.

I'm almost...starting to enjoy it...

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

You hate Samsung so much, yet can't be bothered to get a single thing right.

And yet if I had to choose between "the guy who is wrong" and "the guy who likes Samsung," there would be so much common ground.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I don't think I saw anyone post this: Google wants to start an MVNO, which reportedly will be a Republic Wireless-like WiFi/cell combo...only for the N6. I was wondering when they'd go this direction, given that they had gvoice, then Hangouts calling.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
To the guy who needs an apk, Chrome can now run Android apps using ARC. Apparently you just need to download ARC, then you can download and install any apk, most of which work fine on a computer.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

why

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I'm gonna start posting in AI. First post: a pic of my gas gauge.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

Sorry if the post is lovely, it's been a hectic week with a lot of poo poo, my father's death, all the post death poo poo, and just my loving phone pissing me off to the point of murder. I was hoping to wait til my contract renewal, but I'm getting so pissed at so many things loving up and needing to be replaced right now.

Bad phone is a weird reason to murder your father

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

nimper posted:

Google Voice doesn't support group message MMS yet.

I can confirm that I am part of a group message sent this morning, and the other 3 people have iPhones. Works fine in Hangouts on my end.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

teagone posted:

Are you using Google Voice?

No

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
For anyone interested in Project Fi (is anyone interested in Project Fi?) I got an email today, which told me that invites are unlikely to come before "mid-summer."

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Apparently something that didn't get mentioned was that M will now automatically back up 25MB of app data. Obviously all you pro phone gamers aren't going to care, but that should be enough for the majority of people to preserve app settings, etc.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

johnny sack posted:

Is it possible to upgrade an Android operating system on an old phone that is not on any cell phone network?

We have an old HTC Thunderbolt that we let our kids use to play games. However, it's got Android 2.4 or something. I can't find any obvious way to update the OS.

Do you have to have a cell phone network connection? Can I do it using wifi at home?

Android is made for devices without cellular radios, too.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Good news: I got my Project Fi invite.

Bad news: I am waiting for the next Nexus device.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
It's ridiculous that google doesn't have a solution better than the "WugFresh Nexus root toolkit," which has a painless way to install drivers and flash stock. Ostensibly the primary purpose is for rooting, but I started using it when I spent a few hours unsuccessfully flashing the L preview. Some fat neckbeard WugFresh can do what google can't.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

How are the active phones in the past as far as updates.

Pretty sure a poster here had issues after deliberately dunking their Active into water. Dunno if that was resolved.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

b0nes posted:

OK. Now what if I have the persons actual cell number but it comes up as a hangouts message? How do you switch it from hangouts to text messaging? Several ties I have tried sending someone a message and it says "Invite xxx to Hangouts" when I just want to send a text message. Sorry I just decided to try Hangouts for the first time ever and i'm so confused.

The first time you enter a number, the top option is "Find on Hangouts," with an option below to "Send a text." After that, there is a small toggle in the field where you enter the text, inside the conversation thread. So where you type your message, just to the left of that is an icon that says "SMS" or has a picture of a speech bubble (Hangouts).

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

This is a known hardware flaw on the N5 and it's not something easy to repair or get at even if you open it up.

A couple months back, my N5 started going apeshit, rebooting itself. I was a little scared that it was dying, as I use it pretty extensively for work.

There was basically a tiny hair wedged in the power button; I didn't need to even take the case off or anything, as I was able to just grab it with tweezers. That was somehow enough to gently caress with the power button.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Or do I have to go to an app keyboard?

Google has a keyboard.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

You're right, I really miss being tethered to a wall every day, it was much better than just having a spare I can pop in in 5 seconds like I do now.

You're right, I really miss carrying an extra battery, which I have to also charge at some point.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Is there that option though? You'll have a tough time convincing me that there's room for two manufacturers who give a poo poo. Maybe there is, I really don't know. Aside from maybe automobile manufacturing I can't think of an industry where it's the case.

heh...look at this goon who's never heard of Vertu.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

...because we should have reasonably expected this wacky poo poo with Samsung versus another android phone on loving sprint (she won't leave her 35 dollar plan to go to a real carrier)? I don't get the buyer beware bullshit when it is literally the only noniphone no allegedly poo poo android device.

She wanted dat camera. She got it. We were so wrong though.

Sprint is terrible, and T-Mobile has a $30/month prepaid plan.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Based on this leaked presenation, the "camera bump" on the Nexus 6P is 1) for better low light photography, and 2) not nearly as bad-looking as it has previously appeared.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Rusty Kettle posted:

Could someone with a note5 help me out with an experiment? I tried asking the android games thread but I anticipate a better response here.

There is a board/card game called Summoner Wars that has a really good app implementation. There is a similarly named anime looking game, but that is not what I am asking about.

There are reviews that say that it crashes on a S6. I want to know if it also crashes on a note5. Could someone please give it a try (i think it's free) and let me know if it's broken?

I'm thinking about getting a note5, and if this app is broken, that'll be a mark in my 'cons' column. There is really no chance in hell that the developers will fix it for dumb reasons.

This game must have the most anime titties

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I updated my N5 to M, and updated Hangouts to 5.0. Now my loving texts all come in at once like every three hours. I have a job where I schedule with multiple employees, and am sometimes getting cancellations mere minutes in advance. This is unacceptable to me. I suspect it's because of the new Doze thing? This is one of the few times I've actually been pissed off at an Android update.

Can I fix this by switching to Messenger, or some system setting?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

nocal posted:

I updated my N5 to M, and updated Hangouts to 5.0. Now my loving texts all come in at once like every three hours. I have a job where I schedule with multiple employees, and am sometimes getting cancellations mere minutes in advance. This is unacceptable to me. I suspect it's because of the new Doze thing? This is one of the few times I've actually been pissed off at an Android update.

Can I fix this by switching to Messenger, or some system setting?

Settings > Apps > gear icon > Battery optimization > Not optimized pulldown > All apps > Hangouts > Don't optimize

Hoping this convoluted selection fixes my "must receive texts in a timely manner" edge case.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Nexus 5 finally got Android 6! Trouble is, Hangouts crashes the moment I open a conversation with a particular person, but not others.
I also see that Messenger got an update, even though I never installed it. I guess it's part of Android 6 and Google is trying to tell me something?

Recently I've been receiving texts 1-10 hours after they're sent, in batches, even when I've been using the phone. I also suddenly don't receive MMS (not iMessages, though of course I don't get those either).

When I click the "Share" in Chrome Beta, now a new pop-up gives me a selection of my frequent contacts so I can directly text them...through Messenger. If you want to text with Hangouts, you select Hangouts, then your Google account, then the person you want to text to.

I tried to switch to Messenger, but it still doesn't seem to get MMS.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I had something similar with my N5 after the 6.0 MMS. Googling told me its Pushbullet. I uninstalled it and Mighty Text, rebooted, and I'm back in MMS business.

Here is a thread about it:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/VW_L9kVVy8g

Ah! Makes sense that it's PushBullet, since it's my only other "texting" app. Bummer, I generally I really like the app.

Guess I'll uninstall for now. Thanks.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I was having problems with SMS, and then not receiving MMS. Finally tracked down the issue; upgrading to Marshmallow seems to have changed a default APN setting I guess.

To fix:
Settings> Wireless & networks More...> Cellular networks> Access point names > click on default setting> Username> edit from "Not Set" to "None"> three dot in the upper menu> Save APN

That was seriously the whole loving problem, it seems.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Check your shipping address for your orders.

My Google Wallet default shipping address is a place I lived literally 9 years ago. I saw my phone is shipping today, so I looked at when, and was shocked to see that it's shipping to where my family is from -- a 6 hour drive.

I called, and they can't change it. They can either hold the package, or refund me and have me place another order. Either way, it seems like a fair amount of work that I have to do, for a mistake I didn't make. I haven't even thought of that address in nearly a decade, and I sure as hell didn't type it into a form.

Ironically I am visiting my family this weekend, and the shipping hub is open Saturday, so I told them I'll pick it up.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
After being told they'd hold my 5X at Fed Ex (shipped to a 10 year old address from Google Wallet [?]), I got a notification today that it was delivered.

After calling Google multiple times, I finally got it resolved: I'll get a refund and make a new order. Which is exactly what I didn't want to have to deal with.

What a pain in the rear end, considering I didn't trigger this chain of stupid events.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Did you not check the "ship to" address when you checked out? How is them shipping to the address you clicked through their fault?

I ordered a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5, both shipped to the correct address. They shipped my phone to an address I didn't even remember, let alone type in, that I haven't had anything delivered to in 10 years.

When I called, they told me that there will be a long wait to talk to the shipping department. The shipping department told me that they're having a lot of issues surrounding this.

I asked that it be held at Fed Ex, and it wasn't.

If you can explain to me why it used an address from an ancient Google Wallet purchase, and not from a more recent purchase, I'll accept that it's my own stupid fault.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's your own stupid fault regardless for failing to review an order worth hundreds of dollars? Why are you expecting pity for clicking your money away? Most people here can't afford to be flippant about that level of spending and will spend twenty seconds reading over the order summary before submitting, don't hope for any empathy when you can't do the most basic reading.

I wasn't asking for pity, or hoping for empathy, whatever that means. I was hoping some of you that had orders would double check your shipping address, in case you had an old one listed in Google Wallet, like I did. After all, most people here can't afford to be flippant about that level of spending!!

But more importantly than not getting your phone, having to get a refund, and redo your order: weird dudes online will be take offense to what amounts to an inconvenience. Don't bother replying to this because I can't do the most basic reading, and since I can't count on any empathy I'll probably just be killing myself by shoving a Nexus Q up my distended rear end in a top hat you aspergian one-note dullard

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You should get the Xperia Z3, or read the thread.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Congratulations, you've gotten yourself into more hours of fixing your device because you didn't read. Perhaps consult a guide or forum thread before modifying device firmware.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

No but lol Google since the last thing you see before you click the send button is a drop down where you select the ship to address. Also lol Google since FedEx didn't honor his hold request. Also lol Google because just to the Google Store for help lol I guess.

I can see why you're skeptical, since Google usually has such seamless product launches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Got my 5X on Friday. Here are my impressions, coming from an N5, which is my favorite smartphone to date:

Pros
+ Screen is great. Can't see a pixel, no issues with viewing angles.Also appears to be brighter. I thought the N5 screen was really excellent, but this one is a definite improvement.
+ Camera is very fast to take a pic, even with HDR. Can also launch with double tap on power button, though I haven't trained myself to do this yet. Only have taken a few, but quality seems good.
+ Processor is fast. I don't game or anything, and the N5 was fine in that respect. This phone is faster by a bit. No lags or stutters.
+ Connectivity seems perfect; no issues with cell reception. WiFi is fast, connects to my 5Ghz router without issues. GPS is more accurate than N5 (Google Now knew I was inside a specific restaurant)
+ Build quality is solid, if uninspiring. No creakiness that the N5 had.
+ Fingerprint sensor is very fast and accurate. Makes unlocking the phone super easy. I was actually dreading this, but it works great.

Neutral
Battery life seems fine. Nothing mind-blowing, but of course it's better than my 2 year-old N5.
Vibration motor is so strong that I thought there was a touch sound enabled.
New placement of power button and volume rocker, which I'm not used to yet.
Takes nano SIM. Tried to cut the SIM myself, but it didn't work, and had to stop at a T-Mobile store for a new one. Not a big deal.
Phone is slightly larger, though not significantly so. Mainly the phone is taller.
USB C means new cables and wall warts. The included cable can't be plugged into a computer, and the wall wart is bizarrely enormous.
Fingerprint sensor is the same size and shape as the camera lens, so I'm occasionally trying to repeatedly unlock the phone the wrong way.
"Breathe" feature, where phone displays notifications when you pick it up, doesn't work perfectly at the moment. I wouldn't say it's entirely useless, but I'd like it to be more reliable.
Back of phone is more slippery than N5. Not getting a case yet, but would have preferred something like the N5 material.

Cons
- Bezels, IMO, are needlessly large. I understand that this is probably a cost-cutting type of measure, but it is probably my biggest problem with the phone.
- No wireless charging.
- App issue: SMS backup+ restored my SMS up to June. After wrangling with it a bunch, that seems to be the best I can get. Frankly I only want my texts from September/October restored. Not a huge deal, but a small annoyance.