Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Reposting because I got missed before:

My Note 4 keeps "losing" my wifi trusted credentials for my work wifi. Every morning when I come in, I have to modify the wifi settings for this network and my CA Certificate and User Certificate will say "(unspecified)". If I try to click the menu to select my certificate, it won't appear in the list. If I go look in the Trusted Credentials screen in system settings, the cert is definitely there! Nevertheless, the only way to get it to work is to reinstall the certificate and reselect it on the wifi settings. It'll then work for the rest of the day, but every morning I do this dance.

I've even tried re-exporting the certificate from my computer to make sure it wasn't a corrupt cert file.
You're not rooted are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

It doesn't work with the Nexus 6 yet.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Skeezy posted:

You might be waiting forever because the dude who makes Xposed is still complaining about ART and as far as I know hasn't done much about it.
Well he's still working on it as of 10 days ago at least. This GitHub issue thread is the best place to check for updates it seems.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

E: never mind, that was ICS. I was pissed about ICS being a little sluggish that I went to that gnex pile of horseshit on that boatload of cocks Sprint. Jellybean must have been worse than that Samsung Moment debacle where a routine update loving bricked the internal flash memory or some poo poo.
The entire lifespan of the Moment was a debacle (oops, were you using your mobile data? sorry about that, you have to reboot to get it back now). The only time I've paid full retail for a phone was to upgrade away from that to the HTC EVO.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

I used the upgrade to get an Evo 3D, because once you slam your dick in a door the first time, the next couple slams happen almost by reflex and before I knew it I was the proud owner of a Sprint Galaxy Nexus on release day.
Such an apt description. I went from the original EVO to the S2, S3, Note 3, and now Nexus 6.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have not been keeping up on 5.1 or other information so I apologize if this question is stupid in advance, but is there any chance 5.1 will allow us to disable encryption on the N6?
Someone went through git and pulled all the merged commits and there are a couple regarding HW based encryption support for the N6 and I believe there's one for making encryption configurable as well. I don't know if there are further commits reverting them though so we might just have to wait for 5.1 to show up.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Mr. Funktastic posted:

S6 owners, please tell me that the S6 isn't nearly this bad with TouchWiz and lovely bloatware.
It's not. My wife got her S6 on Wednesday and I'm impressed enough to where I almost want to sell my Nexus 6 and get one too.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

nerve posted:

Only reason I've heard is that it's too big (it's not, anyone would get used to it in a couple days)
I've had the N6 since launch and I won't ever get a phone this big again.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Edit: removed

datajosh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 18, 2015

datajosh
May 3, 2002

On reddit, someone that works for Samsung has said it is not intentional and will be returned in a software update.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google surveys has broken videos, I think. The survey I'm doing has me watching a video...except it's not playing and I can't go further until it plays.
Yeah, I ran into the same issue on my Nexus 6 the other day.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ruby idiot railed posted:

Jeez, Android 5.1.1 is already out on Galaxy S6/E on T-Mo.
From what I can tell, only one person is claiming to have it and it seems like it's either fake or someone hosed up and sent a pre-release build to this person's phone. I'm leaning towards the latter because I can't imagine anyone trying to fake it would set the kernel build date to yesterday. (And I also can't imagine a build getting pushed out beyond a test group that quickly.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Hm true, I looked and sammobile is also pointing back to the same source.
After talking to the guy on XDA, I feel like it's legit but I don't think it was supposed to make it out to the public. We'll know soon if he comes through with a system dump.

Edit: Legit. I don't think it's actually rolling out yet but if you have a rooted T-Mobile S6 Edge, you'll probably be able to flash it soon.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 30, 2015

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Skeezy posted:

It's one dude who says he has it on his Edge. Who knows if it's real.
It's real, but it's not an official rollout or a finished update. It's been posted in the T-Mobile S6 Edge forums on XDA for anyone with that particular phone that feels brave and/or crazy.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Google Butt posted:

Just ordered a 64gb S6 and accessories, including the Skinomi tech glass protector. I have the tech skin on my m7 and it's done me well, does anyone have experience with the tech glass?
The glass screen protectors are hit and miss on the S6. The sides of the screen are slightly curved which means a glass protector can't adhere to the entire area. Some companies take that into account and make it a bit smaller for a proper fit, others have made them a bit too large resulting in the sides not sticking to the phone and looking like poo poo. The same thing happened with the Note 4 and Nexus 6 which made it hard to figure out which brand to buy in the beginning. Usually the companies are good about refunding or exchanging if they gently caress it up though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I just switched from a Galaxy S4 to an S6. On the S4, when I received a text message, the screen would wake up briefly. It was great for noticing new texts out of the corner of your eye. Now on the S6 the screen doesn't wake. All it does is flash the very small indicator light, which is trickier to notice. Is there a way to get the phone to wake to the lock screen when I receive a text? Is it because the default messenger app is currently Verizon Messenger? The default Samsung SMS app is so much uglier.
Samsung got rid of this feature on the S6. This app gives you the option to wake the screen on notifications from certain apps and worked for that purpose during the brief time I was using a S6 myself.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Desk Lamp posted:

Just found out they got rid of per contact sms tones for no particular reason as well, especially baffling now that even Google has it.
We need one of these :iiam: but for Samsung

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Butt Savage posted:

I managed to get my hands on a used S3. Anything cool I can do with it? Aside from tossing it in the garbage and yelling SAMSUNG!!! at the top of my lungs? I feel like being adventurous with it.
Try to find one of the first CM9 nightlies for it and flash it. That should be pretty adventurous. :v:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Out of curiosity, why did you switch off the S6, what did you switch to, and how did it all work? I just got an S6 on Verizon and while the phone isn't bad per se, it's much less of a "wow upgrade" than from my iPhone 3g to the EVO 4g and from the EVO 4g to the S4. It's a snappy device for sure, but the lack of an SD card slot, the glass back necessitating a case, moving the headphone jack, and switching from a menu to a tab button have all added up to making this a far less enjoyable upgrade than in the past.
I went back to my Nexus 6. I actually went back and forth a couple of times. The S6 is nice but the battery life isn't great, TouchWiz is still TouchWiz (although it is improving), front speakers are way better than one bottom firing speaker, and, after having the N6 for a while, I don't really care for physical navigation buttons anymore.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

Any idea what is causing this or how to stop it? This screenshot is obviously from Link Bubble, but it happens in Steam as well, and other browsers (can't recall if Chrome has done it or not). This happens on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, which throws me for a loop by the text of the error, because the N7's network pretty much never changes. If I reload, it loads the link fine. This has been happening for a few months at least. Both are on 5.1.1 now, though this was going on from 5.0.1 or so at least. I see it something like 3-4 times a week on the phone.

I get this a lot on my N6 too, not sure what the cause is.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Rusty! posted:

Apparently a newer, less burny version of it
Turns out it's the same revision Sony's using in the toasty Xperia Z4 :haw:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

What about the ATT MVNO thing?
I looked into this not too long ago for my brother and AT&T locked phones will work on AT&T MVNOs like Cricket.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

visuvius posted:

I've got an LG G4 and I can't figure out how to make "Ok Google" work when the screen is not active. On my old Droid Maxx, I used to be able to say the phrase when the phone was off and it would respond, with my G4, it will only work if I first turn on the screen. Its annoying cause I used to be able to just shout reminders at my phone with dirty hands and whatnot and now I have to turn on the phone first. Under "OK Google" detection settings, I've set "From Any Screen" to on. I've got no phone lock either so I don't think that's the issue.
It should say "Always on" instead of "From any screen" for that function. The G4 may not be capable of doing that with the screen off.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I'm not sure about the S6 but I can say on my work S5 running Lollipop, Nine isn't a battery hog at all. I even paid for it completely out of pocket because I liked it so much.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Tatsuta Age posted:

- Nexus 6
Pro: AOSP, will get updates fast (in theory), great screen/sound.
Con: I'm kind of sick of how big my Note 3 is, so a smaller phone would be nice. If the N6 was the same size as the N5, I'd be all over it. Also, I feel like I heard a lot of battery life complaints?

What else should I be looking at? What's everybody else using/loving these days?
The Nexus 6 has better battery life than the S6 but if you're sick of the Note 3's size, it's a bigger phone than that. If you can deal with the size, it's a great phone. If not, the best option would probably be to wait. The Note 5, new Moto X, and new Nexus aren't that far off. I can't really recommend the S6 to anyone right now - the performance and battery life leave much to be desired (thanks Samsung!). If there was a GPE edition, I have a feeling it would do much better in both areas.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What performance problems have you encountered?
It seems to have bad RAM management or it could just be bloated Samsung software. (Or possibly software that hasn't been properly optimized for a 64-bit chip yet.) It lags randomly and apps reload a lot when multitasking. I found some apps not even updating in the background like they should. It's a powerful phone with 3GB of RAM so it could very well be fixed with a software update in the future.

My wife seems to be pretty happy with hers but after The Nexus Experience™, I couldn't deal with it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Well, to be fair, how many carriers actually want to sell a BlackBerry anymore? (I like the look of it too.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

uPen posted:

The S6 has both of those things.
It also runs like a horse in quicksand after a few hours.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I do not have these options in Hello...
I can't find anything that says Hello has a pop up option so it seems like there's something you've installed that's giving the second notification. The one at the top looks like the standard heads up/peek notification but I have no idea what that one in the middle is.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Ignore the one in the middle, it's not important and I don;t know what it is either, I just grabbed that pic from google to show an example of what I'm talking about. I haven't installed anything that would be doing this, and it only started happening when I updated to v5. If that is the standard heads up notification, how can I stop it?
Oh, okay, I thought that was a screenshot from your phone. Yeah, that's new in Lollipop and I don't know that it can be disabled.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Porkchop Express posted:

I just got an LG G4 and I love it, the only thing I can't seem to figure out is how I can make notification sounds come through the headphones only when they are plugged in. As it is now the sound will come through the headphones, but it will also come out of the phone speaker as well.
Hmm, my wife and I haven't run into this problem on our G4s.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Question about the Note 5 vs. the Galaxy S6 SOC/chipset:

upthread somebody was holding forth rather convincingly that some non-insignificant portion of the battery life problems on some variants of the S6 was due to the fact that the wifi functionality wasn't on the same chip. Is that still an issue with the Note 5, or should I wait to go from the Note 4 for when they go back to snapdragon next generation?
I'm not sure if it's still an issue but the Note 5 uses the same chipset the S6 uses. Unlike previous years, the Note 5 is almost literally just a larger S6.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

My favorite reaction so far:

https://twitter.com/Gamercore/status/646498554320584704

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Easy Mac posted:

So is it possible without root and a new rom to globally turn off vibration? I have a Nexus 6 and Marshmallow and the vibration is annoying as hell on a desk. I know I can turn it off in most apps, just curious if there was a global way to turn it off.
I can't find anything besides Do Not Disturb, which is going to turn off your notification sounds too. With root you wouldn't need a new ROM, but you would need a custom kernel - there are at least a couple that will let you adjust vibration strength.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

In 2 years of owning a Note the only time I pulled out the pen was to show people that it had a pen.
On the Note 3, it made a good kickstand.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Wax Dynasty posted:

Details on the new Samsung Galaxys have leaked: same screen, bump up in battery size and :siren: microSD slots :siren:
I look forward to getting one, then regretting it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

bronin posted:

Same here. Maybe they'll tone down TouchWiz even more. A man can dream.
I didn't mind TW on the S6 while I had it but the memory management was poo poo.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

I'm interested in seeing how the new hardware on G5 and S7 compare to iphone, and if Samsung has managed to fix the multitasking issues.
I heard the multitasking on the S6 was improved with one of the software updates but I don't know anyone that has one to say for sure.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

kensei posted:

I have a Droid Turbo and am thinking about the S7, I really want the fingerprint unlock and the Samsung Pay. Someone talk me out of pre-ordering one of these.
I would, but I already pre-ordered the S7 Edge yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

SpelledBackwards posted:

I've been enjoying my S4 for the last two years, and my contract with Sprint just came up. I'm seriously considering preordering the S7 or S7 Edge for the crazy deal at Target, but I'm having trouble deciding between the two based on size, and battery.

Size: my hands are tiny, so having a smaller phone helps. But they're so tiny that I can't use any >4.3" phone one handed already without nearly dropping it or only being able to access like 1/3 of the screen area with my thumb. So most of the time I have to use it two handed anyway, and the larger size of the Edge probably isn't an issue, then.

Battery: the S4 has a 2300 mAh battery, while the S7 and Edge are 3000 and 3600 respectively. Assuming the OS and hardware haven't made huge laps and bounds in power efficiency to where either one would be a last a significantly longer time on a similar capacity battery as the S4: would I really see a 15-20% increase in lifespan from a charge with the S7 Edge's 20% higher capacity battery over the non-Edge, or would the power draw from the bigger screen on the Edge negate most of that capacity increase to where it's a wash and I should save money by just getting the non-Edge?

The aesthetics of one over the other don't matter much to me. I have no problem paying the extra $100 for the Edge model if the battery will be worth the money.
Since you're coming from a S4, I'd lean towards the regular S7, but you can try them both out at Best Buy to get a better idea before you pre-order.