Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My screen protector gets in the way of the capacitive buttons, luckily I'm rooted, so I can push both volume keys at the same to boot into custom recover and unmount my SDCard.

I need a phone with a nice hardware keyboard on it so I can run my terminal emulator more easily. Anyone have a good suggestion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

r0ck0 posted:

Gmail being red gives me an anxity attack that I have to read all my email RIGHT NOW, hangouts being green makes me a little nauseous. I would like a pastel color pallet, is that too much to ask. It wouldn't even be a huge thing to implement, all the apps using the material design have to support changing the top bar, just expand on that to allow a theme manager to set the color of the app. Oh if its not needed on android why is it needed in windows? We should all use the same wallpaper while we're at it. Its a phone not a computer so deal with it isn't the answer either.

I can't tell if this is a fakepost or not.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not, and he's not the only one that feels this way.

To be clear: I don't feel this way, he and his ilk are loving crazy sperglords that have to control every aspect of their device or else they feel oppressed.

Read the root thread sometime to see this attitude in larger numbers.

Oh, I do read the root thread... this one seems over the top even for the usual XDA sperg.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know if I could recommend a Moto since their customer service seems horribly lacking ever since Lenovo picked them up...

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2q46xg/more_moto_customer_service_horror_stories_cracked/

Luckily, an employee of Motorola stepped in but that just seems really lovely and I'd rather not go through that if my Moto phone broke.

This is why I bought the $85 motocare.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Oh hey are we having a benchmark circlejerk?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Dengraz posted:

That's a Moto X (2014) Pure. No idea on the second question.

The phones above it on the result page are the Meizu MX4, note 4, and... oneplus one???

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

GWBBQ posted:

If anyone is interested in playing around with features of the new API, there's a development app you can play with here https://github.com/PkmX/lcamera

Disclaimer: Only works with Nexus 5 and Nexus 6.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

madkapitolist posted:

Does the ATT moto x 2nd gen have an unlocked boot loader?

No. Get the Pure Edition if you're worried about this.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Turnquiet posted:

Now that Moto is releasing the Moto Pro which is a rebadged Nexus 6 with the Moto customizations I sure do hope we see Moto Display, Moto Assist, and all the other goodies on the app store for devices that can support it... like the Nexus 6. I would much prefer the Moto customizations to the default active display that works ~15% of the time that Google put on the N6.

You won't see any of those features released on the play store. The N6 doesn't have the custom firmware that allows them to work.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

Technically, they're all on the Play store, they're just not available to most devices.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=moto%20display

It says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." even though I have it installed :laugh:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MasterSlowPoke posted:

On my Nexus 6, how do I get the controls to be on the left side of the phone in landscape mode?

Unless you root, you don't!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I guess me and the missus will have to switch sides of the bed then!

As a fellow marriedgoon, I know this isn't going to work out.

Dear God root your phone before you switch sides!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Android Thread - Get the Diztronic case already!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Radio Talmudist posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been thinking about rooting my LG G3 for Xposed for a while now. My only concern is what would happen with OTA updates: would I gently caress up my phone by upgrading to lollipop from a rooted lg g3 with an xposed install? I guess I could always do a factory reset, go back to a fresh, non-xposed lg g3 install and do an OTA for lollipop that way?

As things stand right now, there is no Xposed support for Lollipop. This may change in the future, but keep this in mind when you root your phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

AF posted:

I was drunk and frustrated with my phone when I typed that up. I have no prior experience working with the Android platform and had a lovely time trying to flash KK a month ago. Lots of problems with getting my laptop to recognize the phone. I actually did start to flash it, but then realized I hadn't unlocked the boot loader. I should just take a few minutes and get this phone running KK again. Thanks

Yeah I guess you would have to be inebriated to even consider buying a OPO.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FogHelmut posted:

So have there been any new announcements on when the 2013 Moto X is getting 5.0? Or is 5.0 a piece of garbage that is ruining old phones?

No new announcements other than "soon"

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

I know. I can't stand the way they changed the notification pulldown.

I like having the quick toggles right there in the pulldown. I wish that I could decide what toggles show up, though!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

r0ck0 posted:

I got a problem with smart lock and trusted locations. It forgets the location if I use my home address from google maps settings. It works for a bit then it stops, I go back to smart lock settings and it shows as the location is turned off. I added a custom places for the address next door to my house and it works great, never forgets it and don't have to turn it back on. Why?

My bluetooth trusted devices always work fine. Only the google maps location used for trusted places has a problem. Anyone else seen this?

I couldn't even add my home address from google maps settings. I put it in manually and it seems to be working fine in conjunction with my trusted devices.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Is the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (dual sim) any good?

My girlfriend has a certain amount of credit on Groupon to be used for SOMETHING; otherwise it will expire. She can't find anything on it that she wants/needs, but they are selling a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Dual Sim (link at bottom of post), model # I9192, for pretty much the exact price for the credit she has. I currently have a lovely 4 year old Samsung Google Nexus S or whatever it is called - model i9023. I won't otherwise have the money to replace it for a good long while.

I'm looking to use the phone for a mix of lifestyle and business - You Need A Budget, Anki flashcards, timetracking for freelancing and general organisational stuff. I don't want a huge or fancy phone but I'd like it to be competent and reliable. Is this phone an unmitigated disaster? Is it going to run like crap and fall apart? Otherwise we'll use the money on a mix of restaurants and other random junk. Are there particular problems with the dual sim version? I can't find anything bad in google except that the dual sim is standby mode, not active, but since I'd only be using one sim anyway it doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. I know it doesn't have 4g like the i1915, but my girlfriend already has that phone and says she never gets 4g where we live anyway.

Here's the link:

http://www.groupon.it/deals/deal-nazionale/gg-td-store-1/54485947

Are there any reasons not to get this particular, given that otherwise I'd need to pay out of pocket? I don't need a response immediately, we need to wait for the credit to clear, but that's what we're looking at. Thanks.

No this is a bad idea. Get a Moto G instead.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Splinter posted:

I'm gonna go with the 2013 X. Can someone confirm that this (XT1060) is the model I want for Verizon compatibility? I'm a bit confused as it says it's for Verizon and GSM, but won't work on Sprint and other CDMA networks. I thought Verizon used CDMA...

Yes that's the right model for Verizon.

Sprint will not activate Verizon CDMA devices and vice versa.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

The Moto Keylink may be going away? The page I have bookmarked (the same that their site search gives you) redirects to the accessories page: http://www.motorola.com/us/accessory-family-page-1/Motorola-Keylink/keylink.html.

Keylink chat: Mine fell off the keychain (and into my pocket, luckily)

I think Moto needs to devise a better way to secure it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

enojy posted:

The website currently says $140 off a purchase of $499.99 or more -- did they change it? I didn't think a Moto X could even reach that high, fully loaded.

$499 is the base price for the 16gb model, unless for some reason you have Republic Wireless as a carrier in which case it's $399.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

enojy posted:

Oh, no kidding... humph. I just put together a mock order to see how much a Moto X with the leather back would cost about a month ago; I could've sworn I didn't recall it being $499 + that customization.

Edit: I see now. I didn't get as far as choosing a carrier. They just lump on $100 for what?! MOTOOOO!!

Think of it this way: they spot you $100 if you make a bad carrier decision.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ribsauce posted:

I have a Moto X if it matters.

Is there a way to save a number in as a contact but not have it show up in the contacts list? While it sounds like I am trying to have an affair with this question, the real reason is I have a lot of customers call me, and I'd like to know who is calling, but I don't want like 400 people clogging up my contacts when I will call them once every 18 months (usually after looking up their number)

You should probably save the customers to a separate account for your business. In the Contacts app settings you can choose which accounts will display contacts.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Panthrax posted:

Just got a new SIM in the Moto Maxx I just picked up. The display is showing H+ and I'm only getting 2-3mbit download on AT&T's network. I'm coming from a Nexus 4. Is there anything I need to do to get the Maxx to give me decent speed? Do I need to call AT&T and have them change something in the system?

Yeah your Nexus 4 didn't have LTE so you'll need to call and get your account provisioned correctly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="441107911"]
Isn't the Moto Maxx for non-US markets? I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have the correct LTE bands.

Nah it has 2, 4, and 17 which are AT&T's bands.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skeezy posted:

The ability to change WiFi or Bluetooth from the quick settings menu.

Praise Allah.

edit:

quote:

here's how it works right now: when you lower the notification shade to the Quick Settings menu, you can either toggle Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on or off by tapping their respective icons, or tap the word "Wi-Fi" or "Bluetooth" instead to go to their respective menu pages.

:eyepop:

Didn't know that!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

:eyepop: I remember seeing this in all those "first look" videos and being like "huh, what a great idea" and yep, it is pretty awesome. Shame you missed out.

That's alright. The 5.1 implementation will be better anyway.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rastor posted:

Z3 Compact is an interesting recommendation for someone considering a OnePlus One...

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact,OnePlus-One/phones/8744,8603

Size isn't everything :smugdroid:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Three Olives posted:

Name a gas station that doesn't accept Bitcoin if you turn it into a Visa gift card first?

Have you ever used Google Wallet?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

Didn't want to put this in the monster post above since it's about something different but I saw a similar leak 3 days ago on Android Police and yeah, it's hard to hate on HTC. This looks like a fine device.

Still has the impossibly large chin just so they can put the HTC logo front and center. Pass.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Hace posted:

Moto E 4G announced with SD410, Moto Display and Lollipop out of the box.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/02/25/moto-e-4g-lte-specs-official/

Shame about the display, 720p at 5.1" :(

It's actually worse: 960x540 at 4.5"

But it's still a great device for the money.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ok, since both the Nexus 6 and Moto X (2014) have made it officially to Amazon, I've got some questions for both devices.

Last night, I watched Erica the Tech Nerd's review on the Nexus 6 and some other guy's review. Both state that the Nexus 6 has pretty bad burn in that happens very quickly. Is this the case for those of you who have had the 6 for a while? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

The 2014 Moto X seems to suffer from the same burn-in issues. Are there any 2014 X users with this issue? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

Burn in can happen on any device with an AMOLED panel. Whether or not your phone gets burn in largely depends on how you use it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Drama Llama posted:

Just switched over from my old iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S5 Active. Still adjusting but it's pretty cool so far. I can get music to play via USB into my car, but apps (8tracks, etc.) just come out the built in speakers. Anyone know how to fix this?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818&p_id=9564&seq=1&format=2

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Drama Llama posted:

Kind of thought it would be a software setting. Oh well.

The car probably doesn't support USB audio. I don't know if the S5 active does either. The car stereo is most likely using your phone as a flash drive to play music.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

Well poo poo, fair enough. I may have subconsciously filled in the camera sliding into view from the right, but I think that's just from being in the camera app and swiping right to left to get to the recent photos, where that animation does happen.

It actually worked like this in Kitkat but they changed it because Google.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think this got missed on a previous page, but what is the consensus on the Galaxy S5 Active? I'm finding some pretty cheap (cheaper then the vanilla s5) and was hoping for some goon opinions. I don't mind touch wiz but I am also not in that much of a hurry to pick up another phone.
Currently using the recommend 2013 Moto X and it really is fantastic.

Is there any particular reason you want to switch?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Captain Yossarian posted:

Not necessarily switching :) More I'd not seen/heard of it before and was intrigued.

I wouldn't bother. You've got a great phone at the moment so I'd stick with it until you really have a reason to get a new one :)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rusty! posted:

On body detection? Where did that spring from?

Android Wear, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just got the 5.1 update for the Moto X and my life is forever changed with the karate chop gesture to turn on the flashlight.