Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wooger posted:

But why are any apps which aren't audio players / messaging / VoIP apps, or used very recently, even running in the background at all?

Apps are free to run background services and schedule jobs to do processing tasks and things like syncing, usually so they can be up to date and responsive when you need them, provide notifications for certain events, whatever.

I can't really find any detail, but I think Doze is more about forcing apps onto the 'be considerate' scheduling system they introduced with lollipop. The idea was you could specifically mark your jobs as flexible, and the system could batch them together and do everything at a suitable time. This seems to be along the same lines, but being much more aggressive about deferring unused apps and making them low priority

At the end of the day it's up to the apps themselves what they do with the system (some stuff is important and needs to be able to run whenever it wants). I reckon Google needs to add a name and shame system to be honest - it's all very well saying apps shouldn't use priority stuff if they don't need it, but users need to be able to tell what's misbehaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

India is closer to where they're made, so they probably dropped them off on the way!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Maybe your phone is enjoying the music, you jerk!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dr Cheeto posted:

Still, it seems weird to me reading some of the posts where people are both annoyed at the rollout and unwilling to use an adb command.

Not really, I flashed the OTA because I have all that poo poo installed from doing dev stuff. I wouldn't really want to go messing around learning about ADB and janitoring my phone otherwise. OTA flashing is pretty simple when you've done it before (and you don't need to mess with 'partial flashing' or caches or whatever), but just having the thing install would be better

If Google wants to do staged rollouts, they should at least give people the option to force an automatic update if they really want to. Mash the CHECK FOR UPDATES button enough times and get the option, put it in Developer Settings, whatever. Make people aware there might be problems if you really want. It's not a beta so there's no reason to actively block random people from getting it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I just ate a sandwich

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

tvgm2 posted:

I'm getting my 6P today, but I was reading up on the app data backup that was introduced in Marshmallow, and it turns out apps have to opt-in with 6.0 final instead of the system backing up everything or letting the user decide. This is poppycock because I got really far in Desert Golfing and as far as I can tell it doesn't use Google Play Games, so nothing is backed up. I assume there's no way to move the app data without rooting?

Nah, the default behaviour is for apps to back up their non-cache data, so long as it's been saved in the normal way and not stuck in some weird folder somewhere. The user has to opt-in to Google Services, which if you're using an Android phone you probably did when you first got it. Apps specifically have to opt out - and maybe a lot of them have

https://developer.android.com/training/backup/autosyncapi.html#configuring

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If there's a few specific things you want to pull off like photos or an app's data folder, you could use Airdroid. If you want to do some full backup you could try Helium in network mode (it's an option in the menu)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

iamsosmrt posted:

So I have a launch model Nexus 5 which I never upgraded past the final Kit Kat build nor rooted. My gf also has a Nexus 5 which she did upgrade to Lollipop and frankly, she had a lot of issues with it (connections, stability, etc.). Since she's not exactly happy with Lollipop, I'm probably going to encourage her to upgrade to Marshmallow.

I'm generally happy with my phone as it is. I've read about Doze and general interface changes but I'm still on the fence. Is there any compelling reason for me to upgrade to Marshmallow if I'm pretty happy with Kit Kat?

Marshmallow is pretty much Lollipop with a few tweaks, so why not have a play around with her phone and see if you like it? It's hard for anyone to say you'd be happy with an update if you're intentionally staying on an old version for your own reasons

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If there is a thread about it I don't think you'll want to go there

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Is there a way to get a heads up notification when not in immersive mode or is that simply the replacement for the scrolling? I guess now that I think about it, all notifications are heads up now.

The ones that actually pop up on the screen are heads-up notifications - just Hangouts messages so far for me

Yeah it's a replacement for the preview popping up in the status bar. I wish you could at least optionally switch it back because having a big bar pop up over a chunk of the screen can get annoying. Plus it covers the action bar, so if you're interacting with an app's menu or navigation and a message pops up all HEY HEYYYY under your finger, you're goin' to Hangouts! Hope you weren't doing anything important!

It's a decent feature to have and I don't know where else they'd make it appear, but drat it's annoying if you get a bunch of messages while you're trying to do something. A lot of the lollipop changes make you fight with the UI in some situations and that's not a good thing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Karthe posted:

Can you guys assure me that I've just been experiencing a string of bad phones instead of a new norm in Android devices? For starters, my last three daily-use Android phones have been a 2013 Moto X, an Xperia Z3C, and currently a OnePlus One

Well phones designed to work with gloves on aren't any kind of norm, and the OPO is a unique (and widely reviewed as janky) project, so nah I think you're all right. Just get a normal phone again!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm fooling with the camera on my new 6P and recorded a slow motion video.

I played it back and was presented controls for playback speed -- sliders at the bottom of the video play screen in the photos app.

I then deleted the local copy of the video and no longer have those speed controls. I can now stream the video at only one speed. Even downloading it does not return the speed control slider.

Is there a way to get that control back? I don't really understand what is happening with the UI here.

At a guess it's rendering it to a standard framerate version so that everything can play it. Same with the Lens Blur camera feature, you can adjust the blurring on the original file, but your exported/uploaded copy is a normal rendered image. If you delete the original you don't have it to tweak anymore

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

After rebooting my phone I can't get the problem to happen anymore at all. It doesn't make sense to me that something running could have caused the issue, but I don't understand how the hell Android works. I even tried relaunching everything I could think of that could possibly have caused it (like TeamViewer, Twitch, etc). I don't think I had rebooted in a week or so, but I've never had the problem with a previous phone. I guess I'll just return it and try a different phone.

Well I'm just spitballing, but when the system is overloaded by something it can start to get inconsistent and choppy, and that could mean it loses track of current touch events. Restarting could clear out whatever freak background problem was causing it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

They used to do that. If you set a timer for x minutes it would set an alarm for x minutes ahead of where you were and people didn't like that because that's not a timer. Now it actually uses a timer which is the correct way of doing it.

The point is that you should use a timer when you need a timer and an alarm when you need an alarm.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't set an alarm for the end and just display a countdown for the remaining time when you're looking at it. I mean I can think of a few ways they could mess it up, but this is a typical sort of example for an app that has a long-running background task

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There isn't anything in the system that gives you that functionality out of the box though, you'd have to make something that constantly updates the notification if you want that to happen. Alarms are really a request for the system to wake up and poke your app so you can make a noise or whatever, so I don't see why a countdown timer wouldn't use one of those exactly like an 'alarm', and just display a countdown on top of that for your convenience

I mean they could handle it all in the component that's changing the notification, but it seems like a rookie mistake to rely on that for alarm functionality instead of just using an alarm. Especially since they were updating it and the whole alarm system anyway

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hooah posted:

I used to be able to click through to the mobile YouTube site (in Firefox) and when I hit the play button, the YouTube app would open up. This stopped happening sometime recently. Does anyone have any idea why?

Also, hooray for nav button burn-in on my ~7-month old 2014 Moto X.

You could try clearing Firefox's associated filetypes or whatever it's called. It might be set to open that particular URL type

It can depend on the site too - if it's sending data in a different way (different URL structure, different MIME type, some other data) it might not be caught by the YouTube app's associations. Sometimes it can vary from page to page and resource to resource, one might have a particular 'fingerprint' that's associated with Firefox, one might have a different one that's associated with YouTube... sometimes you'll get different apps offering to handle what looks to you like the same thing, because they have different fingerprints and some apps are only registered for one of them. That kind of garbage

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Getting a trojan horse vibe from all this

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thermopyle posted:

We really need a Google Services thread or something.

I'll ask this here: has anyone tried using Google Alerts to find out when an artist has released an album or single on GPMAA? I'll read about a new release, go to find it on GPMAA, find that it's not on there yet, and then promptly forget about it ever again. Today I thought about setting up a Google Alert, but I'm not sure how often new releases get mentioned on places that Google Alert indexes...

Aren't they just Google searches that they run for you once a day? That's the impression I got - if you're listening to the most underground poo poo that isn't mentioned on the internet you might have a problem, but if you do a search and stuff pops up, you can create an alert for it. I think the bigger problem is when you have too many irrelevant results that take over

Although really, they should be making the knowledge graph stuff easier - if you like Artist, you should be able to say so. You could have a poke in Google Now or try searching from the Google bar and see if it gives you a card

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well I meant Google Alerts, I wasn't sure if you could actively curate your Now feed in the same way, but doing a search in the Google bar might entice a subject into your feed

I was just looking around, and this is... interesting:
http://searchengineland.com/android-marshmallow-seo-series-sponsored-google-now-cards-23-234719

quote:

If you have not noticed it, Google has been adding a variety of different types of sponsored results that are especially prevalent and persuasive in the mobile interface. These sponsored results can be presented for queries about flights, hotels, movies, TV shows and some products. They are driven by feeds, rather than PPC bidding, and are less visually distinct from the organic results below them.

In that same vein, it appears that Google is testing Sponsored Google Now Price Alert cards in Google Now. Until recently, Google Now cards have all seemed passive and organic, but that might soon change.

Google is storing information about all users’ cross-device behavior to a Private Index, and this includes information about web interactions like shopping or browsing on Google Shopping (and potentially other e-commerce sites, too).

With this information, they are able to trigger a “Price Alert” in Google Now or Now on Tap. They can tell from a user’s Private Index that they have visited the page, and they know from their Google Shopping feeds that the price on the item that they viewed has dropped.

tl;dr, they're saying Google is tracking the prices of products you've viewed, and pushing cards when the price drops. Like camelcamelcamel, but not on your terms

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

DemonMage posted:

they almost never fix bugs that Google has missed

Sometimes they introduce them (hello Samsung)

Though it's not necessarily something users will notice, and if they do they'll probably blame the app that ran into the issue

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cable posted:

iOS is available in Catalan though. Google should keep their game up regarding language support.

I have a Catalá option in languages on my N5, and a Catalan keyboard too

Also guess how much ram I'm using right now :smugdog: who cares

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MikusR posted:

Galaxy Tab S2 is Exinos not Tegra. :)
Honest question. Are Nvidia soc's finally capable of decoding at least 720p h264 video?

Well the garbage Nexus 7 2012 with bad memory that someone gave me manages it just fine, so I guess so!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

BottleKnight posted:

I wasn't sure at the time but I looked it up a little and no there is a toggle to invert colors, like black is white and white is black and it's like looking at photo negatives. It's weird as hell.

That's been there since Lollipop (when you couldn't remove toggles, so if you found it you had to let it sit untouched in the notification panel for a month or something before it would go away again)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kerbtree posted:

Or set your phone's date forward a month, then put it back.

Well yeah, there were workarounds, but eventually they let you long-press and remove it. Point is it's been there a while through a lot of updates!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Valicious posted:

The 6P is obviously the better phone, but I can live without the faster processor and more RAM. The things I can't afford to compromise on are voice quality, screen clarity, and durability. I'm having a hard time justifying the $300 price difference, but I will if it will truly make a difference.

Honestly (and I don't know the situation with yr shops and whatever) it sounds like you probably need to go and play with each of them, since you have pretty important criteria you can't compromise on. Like my uninformed assumption is that noise-cancelling stuff is better than none, and both screen resolutions are so high you probably won't even notice a difference, never mind have a clarity problem - a bigger screen will be a lot easier to read though. But I don't know what I'm talking about, and I bet most people who've actually used the phones can't be sure if they'd meet your needs either

I'd definitely go demo them, if you can - especially to check the mic situation

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

havenwaters posted:

Same thing with my 6p.

Double-tap power is probably a Marshmallow (or earlier) thing, my Nexus 5 does it. It was a nice random discovery!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm not talking about people forgetting, I'm talking about someone specifically and intentionally not plugging their phone when sleeping for ~reasons~. In that respect, I am genuinely confused why someone would intentionally not charge their phone while they are sleeping - not because you must due to the time it would take to charge ( I don't think there are any 8 hour charging times left w/ modern phones ), but because it just makes sense! You're not using your phone, why wouldn't you charge it?

Maybe they want to keep the phone by the bed, but they don't have a charger there? Or they want to be able to pick it up without messing with wires. If you can fully charge your phone while you're in the bathroom then maybe that's the better option for some people!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

spoof posted:

Long-press on the Return button if it's not on the bottom right by default. Whether it's the emoji button or Return seems to be app-specific.

Whoa

Yeah there's no return button in Hangouts so I guess that's why I rarely missed the emoji button. Mmm discoverable

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The Dark One posted:

I plugged my Moto G in and the reported charge shot up immediately to 100%. I rebooted it and it still reported 95%.

Is this a sign my battery is failing?

I'd let it run down until the phone turns off, then charge it (while it's still off). It seems to recalibrate the fuel gauge when it's messing around

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Phon posted:

The warning's fine, I don't care about that. It's the fact that the warning is appearing when the volume is set at around 3 ticks, below the midpoint of the bar, when moments earlier the phone had happily been allowing me to listen only a few ticks from the maximum. I can't find anything in the settings of either the phone or the media apps that would correspond to 'drop the volume for no reason'.

It just kicks in every so often - it drops your volume and when you turn it back up, it gives you the warning. I'd guess I see it once a month, maybe less? I don't think you can disable it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've been using Android since 2.2 and I still don't understand exactly how the OS and/or actionbar are "supposed" to work in all situations.

However the developer likes, basically. The general idea is that the back button makes you step back the way you came, and the up arrow (in the actionbar) moves you back through the app's internal hierarchy, but a lot of apps mix and match - especially if you entered the app from another app (like opening a link that pops you into the app at a certain spot)

Add the fact that apps can specify they only want one copy open at a time and yeah, it can get a bit of a mess, especially if you start task switching in the middle of it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

RichterIX posted:

Did Google do something to Google Keyboard to turn gesture typing into a giant piece of poo poo? I never had any trouble before the most recent update.

It's been really flaky for me, like sometimes starting a word from the top row or the left side just outright ignores the gesture or acts like I lifted my finger. Other times (like right now) it's completely fine and butter

I'm not sure but it might have something to do with the keyboard mode, like if the number row is present or not. Or maybe it's more sensitive to demanding apps slowing it down. Who knows, but when it's bad it's bad

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

vyst posted:

what the hell else dessert can you do with n? Napoleon?

Android Nun's Farts

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sirbeefalot posted:

Just an update, there was a .nomedia file in the root of the storage directory for some reason. I don't have one on my phone, so I dunno what put it there for her. Anyway, it seems that that was keeping Photos from seeing anything except for a couple exceptions: Instagram, Screenshots and Beam. Nothing else was showing up before, and now new stuff added does show up. Older photos that are still in those directories are still MIA though. Good enough, I guess. :psyduck:

If you reboot and wait a bit it should do a media scan and pick up your :filez:. As far as I know the .nomedia file is there to stop that broad scan from picking things up.

Apps like Instagram specifically tell the media system HEY ADD THIS NEW FILE TO THE DATABASE THANKS when they save a pic, and if you copy files over in windows or whatever I assume the MTP connection it uses handles registering the individual files you add. With the whole .nomedia situation, sometimes you have to reboot to get things to show up at all

It's not something you're meant to care about though, generally people aren't meant to be janitoring their phone's filesystem

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ehud posted:

Another update: Apparently uninstall_package doesn't actually disable the app. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Try adb uninstall packagename

I think what you're doing is basically triggering the normal uninstall procedure (by using an intent) which is why you see the dialog. Also it may not be possible to remove some things, I'm not sure, so you might have to try just hiding them like someone said up there

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

GokieKS posted:

This has been slightly bugging me for a while, but I never got around to really looking for a solution.  Today I had some free time at work and decided to, but couldn't find a solution, so I'll ask.

Does anyone know if there a way to get the Google Keyboard to always use the same layout?  In some cases, seemingly mostly when the system thinks you need to enter complex passwords, it shows the number row at the top (e.g. when I'm prompted for the password to unlock after a couple days of using the fingerprint sensor), but in most other cases (e.g. Hangouts, Gmail, etc.) it doesn't, putting it as alternatives to the top row.  I don't really have a strong preference in which one is better, but I'd really like for it to be consistent and just use the same one in all cases.  I went through all the settings for Google Keyboard but didn't see anything.

For visual reference, here's what it looks like when entering password from lock screen:

And what it looks like in most apps:

This is down to apps setting hints to the input method on text fields, saying what kind of content they expect so the keyboard can adapt to a more useful layout if it wants. Google Keyboard does want, and I can't see an option to turn it off or force all input methods to ignore hints

So yeah you'll probably need to find another keyboard if that's what you want

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

Any app the saves progress (or pauses or whatever) when you background it should handle an incoming call just fine without any need for specific permissions, no?

Isn't it more about automatically handling call events specifically (like without pausing), ducking volume on older devices, that kind of thing? Plus some apps use it to get the IMEI to generate login IDs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Stan Taylor posted:

So is there any truth to all those battery tips that people spout all the time? Like, that it's bad to charge your battery to 100% or that you should let it charge all the way and then use it until its dead the first time you turn it on or whatever. My Nexus battery was poo poo but I chalk that up to my charging cable being poo poo, and plugging it in using any USB adapter I could find.

Just saw some dude on Forbes repeat the "it's bad to charge to 100%" thing and frankly it sounds like a load of poo poo to me.

Charging early is better for the battery than letting it run down, and going to full is fine because the phone will stop charging and restart when the level drops below like 97% (and you don't need to know that, so it'll lie to you and say it's at 100 the whole time)

I think charging with the phone off can help if the level is screwy in Android, like to to recalibrate it, but I forget if that's actually a thing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

datajosh posted:

Apparently that was only a temporary fix, Smart Lock is so loving flaky.

Dunno if it'll help, but I had to add a nearby location manually because 'Home' was really unreliable. That was ages ago so maybe it's ok now, but I can't be bothered changing it to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Toebone posted:

Went into Chrome settings > Notifications, found easilyverify.com was whitelisted. Dunno how that got there, but thanks.

I had some dumbass site start sending me notifications on the desktop, I didn't realise the setting was on allow until they started popping up. Wouldn't be surprised if Chrome sync adds them to your phone too

I love reboxing videos