Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have a Sony Z3 Compact on Marshmallow and I've made a mistake. I've been using Smart Unlock for years to unlock the screen when connected to a trusted WiFi. It worked very well, although lately it would sometimes fail to lock when leaving the house until I had turned on and off the screen.

So I was a bit annoyed with that and missing updates, uninstalled and thought I'd try a few of the many alternatives. Turns out, these apps are no longer supported after Lollipop. Somehow Smart Unlock had survived two OS updates and was working pretty well all things considered.

But now I can't reinstall it nor any alternative. There is a "smart unlock" included in the OS now, but of course it's no good compared to the 3rd party apps. It has no option for WiFi, only location - which is not very reliable indoors and means if I take the phone with me just outside, "location" thinks I'm still at home (with better coverage) whereas WiFi would've lost connection and locked it.

The built in one also unlocks to the stupid "swipe to unlock" screen instead of an actually unlocked one.

So, with apologies for a tedious rant, what are my non-root options? Are there any apps that can unlock on WiFi on Marshmallow? Should I try getting the apk and install manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doesn't marshmallow have "trusted places" built in to do location based unlocking?

It does. As I said, it doesn't work nearly well enough as the app. The unlocked screen is a "swipe to unlock" screen instead of press button, instant screen. Also, location is fuzzy enough that if I have my phone just outside my house, where we might sit on a nice summer day, the location thinks I am at home up on the 3rd floor whereas the WiFi will lose coverage and thus lock the phone in the same spot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I can't imagine wanting to bypass the "swipe to unlock" screen unless you just really, really like having dumb poo poo happen while the phone is in your pocket. There's simply no way to get around that as far as I'm aware.

I've been using straight to unlocked for many years, up until one hour ago, so it is possible. And dumb poo poo never happens with it in my pocket, only when I deliberately use it to post on the internet. Besides, the swipe to unlock doesn't prevent this anyway, since you might swipe accidentally as well. It just makes it a teeny bit more of a hassle to use at home, instead of no hassle at all.

And I agree with you trusted device is not very good. I might be carrying my trusted bluetooth device while travelling through untrustworthy locations, but I never carry my drat WiFi router anywhere.

I found the apk to Smart Unlock on uptodown.com, but didn't dare install it. Seems a bit like a malware honeypot. Emailed to developer instead. Hope a manual install can bring it back.

Google could implement WiFi unlock in a heartbeat if they wanted to but I am guessing they take every opportunity to make it annoying to switch off location service :tinfoil:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

[you can skip the first ranty bit...]
I complained about Smart Lock a few pages back, my favourite 3rd party smart unlocker had been unsupported for a while without me noticing and I curse the hour I uninstalled it. I relented and tried the built-in, only-option-now smart lock and it is a hilariously unreliable piece of poo poo. One time it managed to lock when I was in the stairs down from the apartment, which impressed me, but mostly it treats "home" as ~150 yard circle around my building, which is not good enough. Today I went on a trip 150 miles from home and it was unlocked the entire time. Now that I'm home, it's locked and I have to punch the PIN code every time. How unsmart does it have to be to work in exact opposite of its advertised functionality? Location service was fine all day, it nailed my position on the ski trails with the usual perfect accuracy.

Sorry for the rant, but Google intentionally removing support for 3rd party apps so the only option is their own lovely one makes me very internet angry.

[...and just answer these, thank you]

1. Is anyone getting reliable service out of location based Smart Lock?
2. Is there really no way to get WiFi-triggered screen unlock?

Using a Sony Z3 Compact on 6.0.1

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Location based works for me, but I did have to submit a correction to maps for my address. Tried adding a manual point instead of your home?

You sure you're not just triggering the on body detection unlock when you're out and about?

The "home" location is spot on and it has worked ok at times, it's just erratic. I thought it might be some of the other functions interfering but I've double checked they're all disabled.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Train posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...jDcWImQGLiIbQAQ

Try that. I know there's an app that allows you to dso it with wifi, don't remember if it needs root. Alternatively, install CyanogenMod and use the system profiles

Thanks, but that's the one I used before, it now says it's not compatible with my device. I suppose cyanogenmod or trying to write my own is the only way to go.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

i don't have my Pixel on me at the moment, but can't you zoom the Smart Lock map in/out and increase/decrease the selection area? I swore that did a thing, but I could be (likely am) wrong.

Not on mine, you can just move x-marks-the-spot around. Then there is a circle showing your current position with its diameter being the current position accuracy. The reason why WiFi works so much better is that inside/outside the apartment is very difficult to ascertain with GPS on a 2D map, but pretty simple with a WiFi router, as I lose coverage a flight or two of stairs down. I suppose I could buy some ultra cheap bluetooth thing which does nothing and use it as an unlock beacon.

e: which of course means buying a physical object for every location I want to be a secure, which sucks balls

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 6, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

But you see then he'd have to SWIPE UP TO UNLOCK THE PHONE and

Mock all you want, I'm a random person who found this phone 149 meters from Ola's home!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

It's this. Remember that he stated up the thread that even if Smart Lock worked the way it's intended to, he still wasn't happy he'd have to swipe to unlock the device rather than just hit the power button and have it ready to go.

You're absolutely right, but I'm starting to come around to the unlocked swipe. It's the unlock 150 miles from home I'm struggling a bit more with at the moment. I'll muddle through, somehow.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

It still happens even if I have wifi turned off. What's really weird is that when I am out of range of the wifi there is no problem. But if I am in range of the router, regardless if I am connected to the wifi or not, it causes my location to jump.

I think this is because WiFi isn't completely deactivated, it just isn't used for data transfer. The location services sees a network it has previously located and uses that information to locate you - poorly. You can try deleting the network (or changing the SSID perhaps?) and see if that changes anything.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

What the forum really needs is lots of people backseat moderating in an Android thread.

My posts moderate themselves as long as I'm not within 150 m of my home.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao only in 20 loving 17 would someone watch Netflix while on a vacation

Yeah, instead you should zone out to local soaps on the hotel TV like a true adventurer!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfCfTYZJWtI

Ola fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 9, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One of the nicest features a car can have these days is a minijack aux plug.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mystery battery drain example. The descending curve is mostly the phone being idle at home, with a few steeper bits where I'm using it. Then I reboot it (which fixes the drain in my case) just before 1 on the x-axis, and the curve flattens out. Pretty significant difference.

Are there any logs accessible on non-rooted phones which could explain what's happening? Play services seem like the culprit but an app or some particular condition might be the root cause.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Play Services just means that some app that's asking for something that Play Services provides is running out of control.

Exactly, so are there any logs or anything else I can use to find out which app?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Train posted:

You could try betterbatterystats but without root I'm not sure if it will show partial wakelocks which is what you're looking for

Thanks for the tip! It looks like it needs root, yeah, but searching around it looks like I can sniff it out with this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector.noroot

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r3VlhZIZVSufZlAeICJet6QBtyAF7z06_ysl1kUKME4/edit#slide=id.p

While Apple is breaking down its walled garden, it seems Google has slowly been building up theirs.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My last three phones have been waterproof for that reason, not because I take selfies in the pool. Eventually you'll spill something on it , or it'll get moist in the rain or something else. Turns out though, even if they say it's waterproof to IP57 or whatever, it won't survive a 140F cotton cycle with 800 rpm spin.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

How long do i have to wait until "eventually"?

Until it happens. It can be expedited.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wrist Watch posted:

Bluetooth on my MXP and my old Nexus 5 lags by a half second behind whatever sound is supposed to be playing.

It's really annoying when you're using the phone for driving directions and you get the instructions mid-turn. It's a problem in the phone's or stereo's Bluetooth driver. I'm not sure which or exactly how it works, but they're supposed to figure out the buffer when they set up the connection and then adjust video sync etc accordingly.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love how the country warning is green, as in THANK GOD.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

henpod posted:

I know this place isn't tech support and this seems like a stupid problem to have, but you guys are a smart, good looking bunch so thought I would see if anyone knew.

I have a S7 Edge and every time I try to back up to samsung cloud, it fails with two messages saying ' a server error has occured'. I have a Saunsung account tied to a gmail address, and can log into that fine, so it definitely exists. Have tried over wifi and data connection. Backups to Google seem to work.

Why the gently caress won't it backup?

Try some basic stuff, like resetting your password and/or emptying the local app cache. Something is fucky with your account or the local app, resetting various things is like banging on an old TV. It isn't a proper solution, but it probably works.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mammal Sauce posted:

Although I stream most of my music these days, I still have a 64gb SD card loaded with music and I need a music player that doesn't stop after every .flac file like Google Play Music.

There are tons of players if you search for "folder player". Here are two good ones I know:

MortPlayer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.folderplayer It was good, but had a very busy interface and loads of menu options. Probably tweaked many times since I used it. Don't remember why I swapped to:

Rocket Player https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer.Unlocker Needs $ to play flac, but does so with aplomb. Nice interface, easy to browse by folder or by tag, feels like listening to music in the Winamp era.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

IMEI is stored on its own chip, so while you can change it, it's also possible to break the phone in a way where it can no longer read the IMEI. And this can be fixed by reinstalling the image.

In summary: Breaking a phone might cause it to be broken? gently caress GOOGLE

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tamba posted:

So it's about the same level of security as putting a fingerprint reader on a device covered with your fingerprints?

If it works like Smart Unlock did, it's the same level of security as a permanent PIN lock, since you need to unlock via PIN (or pattern or whatever) in the trusted zone before it enters unlocked status. So spoofing the WiFi doesn't matter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fartzone_42069 posted:

How do I make wi-fi not poo poo-rear end on the S7 with 7.0? Thank You. :)

Test with an app that gives you a Mbit/sec number, like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest&hl=en

If it maxes out at a particular number, it could be that the phone is negotiating a lower network speed than the computer for some reason.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can't wait for the future and its urban cacophony of people trying to make their AR goggles obey.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spincube posted:

In one corner: those horrible people who can't possibly bear to close any of the hundreds of tabs they have open at once

...and in the other corner: some other, just as horrible people who have self-conditioned their brains to release dopamine when swiping things away from lists

FIGHT

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A fridge is so last century. I rooted a Juicero to accept spent juice cartridges reloaded with soylent.

edit: oh god it got ransomwared

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

They don't seem too smart to me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My level of e-trust is pretty whacked in that regard. I trust Google with my private data and I trust Microsoft to keep blackmailing worms out of my laptop but I don't trust chat or messaging devs to translate emojis correctly between apps.

Thanks for the gift mom! :confuoot: See you next weekend. :a2m:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

because notification sounds were perma-enabled

Jesus loving christ isn't that in flagrant violation of both federal law and a bunch of UN resolutions?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

As said, if you set DND, they were muted (but so was everything else).

That's like saying "at least the robber didn't murder me". What an absolute hateful, ridiculous design choice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought I would never say this, but after my nth nice quality earplug set has gotten a kink in the connector and is dropping sound, I'm starting to get kinda tired of minijack things.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

That sounds like a you problem, I've never had that happen to me in my entire life.

Could well be. This pair has a 90 deg connector and I usually keep my phone in the pant pockets, so it probably gets bent around a bit. I'd like to go wireless, but the fear of being bored somewhere in silence with a flat headset battery paralyzes me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

syscall girl posted:

Just get a charging cord that plugs into your phone? That has to be a thing. The stock cord that came with mine only goes to big mclargehuge USB but it must be possible, somehow!

Or something that works with a minijack as well. It's a thing in bigger headsets, not sure if any smaller ones have it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

On my Nexus 5X the lockscreen widget for spotify is visible pretty much always, the pocketcasts or poweramp widgets show up sometimes but always disappear sooner or later. Is the reason for this that the 5X can't keep all three apps in memory? There would be enough space on the lockscreen for multiple widgets.

Something with the app itself, no idea what. I've used seemingly similar folder based players, some are persistent, some go away soon after pausing and doing something else.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

No site should have ads, I'm entitled to free content.

I would pay $20/month for an ad-free internet, which could get distributed according to my page views. It's way more than advertising makes off me would have made off me if I didn't block their horrible poo poo. A big portion of the money paid by advertising buyers are scams anyway, the ads are viewed by bots or the numbers are made up. It's a rotten business that deserves to die.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Good thing this was released, then.

If Google was the only ad supplier and the internet consisted of 12 sites https://support.google.com/contributor/answer/7324995 I guess would buy it.

Ola fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tivac posted:

Finally jumped over to Android and need a Twitter client with good list support, anyone have a favorite? Mobile Twitter pinned to the home screen is pretty decent but doesn't handle lists at all.

I use the official client and it works fine with lists, but my list demands are few and humble.