Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

GWBBQ posted:

For people with a Nexus 6, is the front-facing camera perfectly centered under the cutout in the glass or slightly off? Mine is just a bit off and while it's not causing any problems, it concerns me a little as far as build quality.

Slightly off here as well. I'm super spergy about build quality and creaks and whatnot but I can't remember any phone (and I had plenty from pretty much every manufacturer) where this wasn't the case so I wouldn't worry too much. The rest of it is just perfectly built.

Had it since Friday now and it's super nice. The screensize is all I ever wanted without knowing I needed it and even with constant 'must touch new phone' tinkering the battery lasted for almost two days straight, so it'll only get better. I really, really like it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Give it a week or so. Your phone is doing all sorts of battery taxing background stuff in the first couple of days. I almost sent back my Nexus 6 because the battery didn't get through half a day at first. Now it's chugging along just fine.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

RZA Encryption posted:

...my nexus 6 is still great and getting multi day battery on lollipop...

What is this magic? I get through a day, no problem. But two days or more? How do you manage?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

comper posted:

Just ordered a Nexus 6. I'm hoping the size won't bother me too much, I've used a 6+ and Note 4 before, but every review makes it seem like it's just *that* much bigger than those two that it can be an issue. I can't wait to try out some pure Lollipop, I haven't been able to play around with it on any other devices yet. The only other thing that bothers me are the inconsistent battery reports - have you guys been able to make it through a full day with no issues? I have no problem plugging in every night, but I see reports from people who are only getting 3 hours of SoT and that is somewhat concerning.

Don't worry, you'll be fine with the size, then. The curved back makes it easier to handle than a Note or the 6+. Battery lasts a day and I'd consider myself a heavy user (with bad reception at the office on top!). SOT is around 4 hours / day. Some days I got it up to five.

Everything else is handled by Quick Charge. It's awesome! :)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Google Now has that baked right in. Weather information on your home, your current location as well as upcoming ones based on your calendar.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Personally, I love the "phablet experience". I'm on the extreme side with the Nexus 6, but I wouldn't go back to anything below 5.5 inches unless someone paid me to. Like you, most of my usage falls in the "non talking" category and for that, a bigger phone is just plain awesome. And even if I have to make a longer call, I don't feel weird holding that big thing right next to my face. I'd say go for it.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Google Services seems to hosed once again. Drains the battery on my Nexus 6 like crazy since yesterday, where I couldn't make it through the day (despite charging for short bursts in my car) and at this rate it seems that today I won't even make it until late afternoon. That thing is breaking an awful lot :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I posted my Tylt Vu/Nexus 6 car setup a while ago and yeah, it's loving huge

I set it up like this as well. It doesn't make any sense anywhere else. In the middle you lose about 20% of your FOV and if you put it somewhere below the windshield you cannot safely look at directions while driving (if you're using your phone as a GPS).

That said, the Tylt Vu + Nexus 6 combination is awesome. I love it!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Cultural Imperial posted:

I have a tylt vu and nexus 6 combo as well. When I'm using maps navigation my phone barely charges. How about you guys?

Mine even depletes, but at a very slow rate. If I'm driving for a longer time, the phone gets quite hot as well. As soon as I start streaming music over Bluetooth at the same time it might just melt away. I think that wireless charging just isn't fast enough to keep up with drain. For cross country drives I'm still using a cable so I'm fully charged when I arrive.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I really thought that I was over hardware keyboards (last one was the HTC G1, so it's been a while) what with SwiftKey and all the others making it so easy to type up messages quick but seeing this triggers me hard. Blackberry keyboards are awesome and this might just work.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Require More Fire posted:

How is Ambient Display supposed to work on the Nexus 6? Obviously it lights up a few times upon receipt of a notification, but after that? Should it light up every so often, or when you touch it, or is there a dark incantation one is supposed to recite?

It should light up again when you move the phone. If it's on the table I simply wobble it for the notification to light up. It's not nearly as useful as Motorola's own implementation of the feature imo.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Yeah. me too. I've had both (I went Moto X 2014 to Nexus 6) and that's the one thing I really miss because it was so much cooler and way more responsive. I'd also really like to use the double twist to launch the camera.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

bull3964 posted:

Have you ever longed for a small screened phone in a large screen body? Blackberry has the phone for you.

How much bigger could that screen possibly be and how is it small anyway?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Finally got Marshmallow on my Nexus 6. First thing I wanna try is, of course, Now on Tap and only now find out that it's not available in Germany at the moment :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Gold and a Pager posted:

?? It seems to be working fine on my Nexus 5. My phone's in English not German though.

It's always been like this, but I keep forgetting. Features are available in English first, but not German. Now on tap is highly contextual and as most of my communication is happening in German using the phone in any other language wouldn't make too much sense. Let's just wait it out.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Awesome. Now it's only too expensive instead of way too loving expensive.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Deactivating it will probably break everything that's needed to, you know, connect your phone to any kind of network. There's always that time when some Google service is draining your battery with a wake lock. It'll take a few days and after that it'll be gone like it never even was there in the first place. I've never had a version of Android or a phone that didn't have this problem once or twice a year.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Mooktastical posted:

Given that the only thing you gain is a millimeter or two of thickness for the trade off, it doesn't make too much sense to me.

It doesn't make sense for anyone but Apple (and some spec hunter Android OEMs), so it'll soon make sense for everyone because all the manufacturers will follow suit. And the everyone will have to upgrade their lovely Beats headphones and ohmygodsomuchmoneytomake...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Syrinxx posted:

Google is offering $50 off both the 5X and 6P, with free overnight shipping.

https://store.google.com/category/holiday_promos

Oh hey, now it's 200€ cheaper in the US than in Europe. This pricing scheme is so ridiculous. I really want this phone, but I do not 650€ want this phone. The Anandtech review says it best:

Anandtech posted:

For regions outside of North America, and Europe especially, the Nexus 6P just seems an unreasonable device. Starting at prices from 649€, you would expect a device without drawbacks, and it’s simply not worth the premium over other devices...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Two weeks and you'll never want to go back!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The Gmail thing happens to me as well. It's an Exchange work account and I sometimes get multiple notifications for the same mail. Also, I sometimes get notifications and it's pulling in mails even though it's set to "refresh manually".

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

RZA Encryption posted:

Part of the X just fell off my Nexus 6.

Do yourself a favor and just peel out the rest as well. For me it happened about a year in.

I know it's just cometic damage but I really don't like that this is even a problem. The whole thing looked nice at the beginning but started to collect dirt and everything after only a few weeks. Now the letters are gone completely and there's even more room for dirt and grime. Meanwhile I'm sitting there every week with a tooth pick so that my phone doesn't become a petri dish.

I'd really like to switch over to an iPhone after 5 years with Android. I like the OS and I basically live in Google's services but Apple's hardware is that much nicer. Then, when I'm almost sure I'll make the switch, I have to help my dad get a new ringtone onto his 6s and all the desire is gone in an instant. Then, a few days later he sends me a video or a picture taken with his phone and the feeling starts to creep back again. Just amazing quality even though he's a lousy photographer. I'm constantly eyeing his phone until I actually have to use it. First world problems at their best...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I might get killed in here for this, but has anyone ever touched or even owned a Nextbit Robin? I'm looking for a midrange phone and fell in love with the design. That thing really sets itself apart from the rest. I'd be coming from a Nexus 6, so it'd most likely be a downgrade performance wise, right? Reviews are mixed to positive. Battery seems to be mediocre but I'm in the sub 3h SOC time with my Nexus anyway so I'm not exactly spoiled on that end.

It's not even the stupid cloud gimmick. It's just...it looks so cool and seems to have awesome build quality, which is what's most important to me (I hate the gaps on the back of the Nexus 6 and am still looking for most of the letters that have fallen out...).

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It's one of the points that every review mentions, so there must be some truth to it, right?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

uPen posted:

Mine has the same bend in the same spot (just above the power button.) It's probably because I sometimes sit on it while driving.

I just bent that tiny piece of metal back into place it's fine.

BoyBlunder posted:

Well, poo poo, that's exactly what happened.

Stupid loving aluminum phones - I miss my Nexus 5

Come on, you guys! What are you doing to your phones?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
But he didn't drop it!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I know it's been discussed a lot, but what's the consensus about Nexus 5x battery life? My Nexus 6 is giving me headaches (all the usual fixes don't work anymore, maybe I've just abused it too much) and I want a new but not too expensive phone quickly.

Will I have worse or better battery life? Anand says slightly better, many other reviews are disappointed about the battery. What's the real world like?

I'd consider my usage average to heavy. One push email account, many whatsapp messages throughout the day, browsing SA, Instagram and Facebook whenever on the shitter. I get about 3h SOT with the 6 at the moment and it's fine. I couldn't live with any less but on par or slightly above would be fine.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Ain't no one got time for that when there's about seven messenger apps to develop!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I use this combination for my Nexus 6 (and other cameras): http://joby.com/mobile/griptight-gpod . You'll need the "large phone" option for yours.

They have other stands (i.e. suction cups you'd use with a GoPro) as well. Good stuff for all your possible needs :)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I had the M8 for like a week and had the same issue. Turned out the power button got stuck in the frame at exactly the point that the phone interpreted it as a click. I returned it because gently caress that kind of QC.

Maybe that's what's happening to you?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
For me it's completely random. Sometime Google starts Maps right away and sometimes it does the search thing.

Maybe try 'How do I get to X'. That works more often for me at least. You can even say 'by car / bike / etc' and it'll start the corresponding navigation mode.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Lblitzer posted:

I'm getting a Nextbit Robin tomorrow. Kind of excited to see what it's all about but I'll likely replace it for another Moto X Pure. I wish the 6P was like $75-100 cheaper.

Did you get a chance to test it yet? I still kinda want it, mixed reviews and all.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So I went ahead and ordered a Nextbit Robin. All signs point to an extremely mediocre phone, but drat it's just so nice looking that I at least need to try. It seems to run better / smoother than a Nexus 5X which isthe other phone I was considering. Dropping to $300 + free world wide shipping was what pushed me over the edge.

No matter what happens: It can't be worse than my Nexus 6, that's falling apart and is getting about 2h of SOT these days.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

RZA Encryption posted:

In order:
Lol

What did you do to your nexus 6 to break it that badly? Only problem I have is terrible slowdown when anything tries to use the camera.

There have been a few drops, so I'm not really blaming anyone else.

That said, the Nexus lag is real. This phone should fly but from day one it's been slow and not as responsive as it should be. I read the same about the 5x and 6p, Anandtech sums up the problem pretty, well in the 5x review. Good devices for sure but not as smooth as Android can be at the moment.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I got my Nextbit Robin (Mint color) yesterday and the first impression is super nice. The built is amazing, but there's lots of complaints online that the plastic cracks after some time so I don't want to be to quick to judge. The wow-factor is definitely there. The whole design and in hand feel simply makes me smile which hasn't happened with my last few smartphones (Nexus 6, Xperia Z1, HTC One M8, iPhone 4s...the list goes on).

It's faster than my Nexus 6 ever was, everything feels super snappy (not completely lagfree though, Android style!). Battery life will be judged in a few weeks. I'm not big on the cloud feature, but I activated it anyway just because I want to see if it's working as advertised. Not that I'll ever need 100GB of apps in the cloud.

The black border around the screen is strange though. It makes the screen seem so much smaller than it actually is. I think it shouldn't be a problem on the midnight version but that one doesn't look as nice as the one mint one, so I'll live with it (and be driven crazy in 3 months).

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

kiwid posted:

Does the robin have NFC and wireless charging?

NFC yes, wireless charging no. I'm a little bummed out about the lack of wireless charging but people in this thread are raving about quick charging (2.0 for the Robin) which is supported, so at least you can top it off pretty fast.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Colon Power posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the Nextbit Robin? My wife is in the market for a new phone and I just wanted to get a hands on opinion.

I had one since July and I'd not recommend it to anyone. It looks and feels absolutely marvelous and you'll get a lot of questions about it, because it's just so different. But it's a low- to mid-end device that is already starting to show it's age a few months in. Opening apps speed is acceptable at best, the phone gets very hot during heavy use (which is a concern since it's all plastic and it'll warp) and the battery life is just absurd. I charge two - three times a day and I'm not a heavy user of any kind. It's got Quick Charge, so that doesn't take too long but when I'm out and about that doesn't help me at all.

There's also a problem with playing music through the headphone jack: Any time the phone has to do something else (which can range from simply turning on the screen to changing an app to literally anything) there's a chance playback stops and you have to unplug the headphone for playback to start again. No other way to restart your music. Looking at their message board it's a widespread problem and they can't seem to find a fix for it.

Camera is mediocre at day and unusable during any other condition.

I went in knowing some of these things because I really, really loved the design and the whole talent behind the company and thought that I'd be happy with "being a rebel" (as they call it), but I'm not. As soon as my Christmas money comes in I'm getting a Pixel and my life will be whole again.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Went to the store to check out the Pixel first hand. I'm in love. This is the phone I've been waiting for all my life. So nice!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
So I just received my Pixel and it did something I never thought possible: It ran Snapchat fluidly. While downloading 50 apps and my music collection in the background. Let that sink in for a minute. I would have been impressed by Snapchat alone. But all while pulling my backups? Incredible. Black magic! These Google people are loving wizwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The Android Thread: Even Snapchat works on a Pixel