Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

McGavin posted:

Yeah, but the Valentine is that bad upgraded. A fully upgraded tier 4 tank with less DPM than the majority of tier 2 tanks is just shameful.

It's very easy to fix the Valentine but because it's on the British line I don't expect WG even know it needs fixing.

Up the RoF on the six pounder and 75mm a bit to get the DPM in line with other tier 4's and put in the historically accurate 210bhp engine in that was in the Valentine with the 75mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Vents are best used if you either cannot afford (or don't want to pay out for) anything better at lower tiers or the other better options (GLD, rammer etc) are not available.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

AlmightyPants posted:

Why do the British stick a loving speed limiter on everything? It's sort of goofy and endearing on the Centurions where they will do 40 kmh up a vertical incline, but on the Firefly it means you have that much less momentum because your top speed isn't what it should be. gently caress England.

The Firefly does 40kph not because it was limited but because that was its top speed. It was based on earlier Sherman's than the Easy 8 so shouldn't have the Easy 8's top engine and better suspension.

But this is Wargaming so who knows, maybe they did decide to put in a hard speed limit so it wouldn't be better than the Easy 8 as that would upset people.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Animal posted:

Something to say that seems to incite rage in some pubs: "We are winning because we are better."

When a tomato calls his team rubbish I always tell him to play better and he will win more. Gets the rage going.

Also calling out failplatoons as idiots gets English seekers raging as well

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Computer viking posted:

drat. That really should have gotten a few responses.

Have you seen the way the "Siema PL" people play? They are all so bad i'm surprised they can even work a computer never mind learn a 2nd language

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

maev posted:

How do you get these marks? Last time i played they didn't exist, I get that you have to have a certain amount of average damage but will it backdate my games or do i have to play X amount to achieve them from this point? If so how many?

You get them by doing more damage in the last 100 games than 65%/85%/95% of everyone else in the tank.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Must be a photoshop, I refuse to believe that the Bulldog even has a mastery badge to get :colbert:

On a side note the personal missions are just a way to get more silver for the Bulldog.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Rorac posted:

I'm not sure what you're complaining about? You get 60% of the shells he does in less than half the time spend reloading, with much better accuracy and a comparable aiming time. His has more damage and pen, but his is also a tier higher gun than yours. That seems... about right?

To be honest I think the 10 shot on the walker bulldog is a specialized anti-autoloader weapon; it's specifically designed to fight autoloader lights (and non-autoloader bulldogs), but that full reload is huge in comparison to most of the others. You should be able to take one if you can catch it reloading, easily.

It's very bad when a same tier auto-loader scout can clip you when you can't clip them back when your role is pretty much the same. Compared to the Chinese and American light lines the 12t and 13-75 are both pretty poo poo and need a look at. It's WG m.o. to make sure a line has a stinker or two to help with the gold selling (unless its the Russian lines) but having two not very good tanks one after the other its a problem.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Artless Meat posted:

Pubbies seem to get really mad when you mention the Yamato never sank another ship.

Is it the same as when you say Rommel was a war criminal?

Being flush with silver after the personal missions I got my first tier 9. So did i get a IS8, T54, ISU152, M103, Junr Patton, Conqueror or Cent 7/1?

I got the Conqueror :bang:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

KurdtLives posted:

I thought he was one of the least warcrimey German generals. And he didn't rat out the conspiracy to assassinate dur fuhrer. Or is this just to troll wehraboos? That would be okay.

Mostly to gently caress with closet Nazi's but also to put a nail into the coffin of the idea of "good" Nazi's. If they didn't try to save as many Jews as possible at personal risk or try and kill Hitler then gently caress them, a white wash for political expediency to rebuild Germany doesn't make them OK.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The 100mm LB-1 carries over to the T-54, so you'll have to grind through it anyway. Don't bother unlocking the 122mm gun unless you, like me, insist on eliting every tank you play.

The 100mm on the T-44 is also the top gun on the T150. Unlock it on the T150 to have it ready for the T-44.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Beach a destroyer in the lake, it's like a bat 155 that doesn't have to can.

A British battleship did take out 7 Tigers in one go. The buthurt is bad enough about arty that would just give people strokes.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
It's a shame they won't put in cross sever roaming. I would love to go onto the US Servers and troll with "Patton was the most overated general since Custer. He wasn't fit to pour Montgomery's tea"

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Fat Jesus posted:

Vaguely remember a GiP poster that drove a Abrams saying tanks don't have keys - they're padlocked from the outside. I wonder if that's always been the case.
In other tank news I saw a goldfraudbot in winter mode.

Why would you have keys to be able to run a tank?

Tanks are high maintenance at the best of times without adding squaddies loosing keys, damaging keys, damaging the lock, having the wrong key for the tank when the Russians are only ten miles away etc etc.

As tanks should always be under guard when no one is in them just have a button to start them.

Unless you are a defense contractor and want to sell magical key and immobiliser systems for tanks with a damage resistant key all for the low price of $250,000 per tank (using GM or Ford technology).

Also what happens when a bunch of squaddies decide to go to the nearest McDonalds drive through after an exercise in their Scorpion light tanks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVY7zN4GEc

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

SoUncool posted:

Yeah, the US Abrams goes with the the American mentality of "we want everything" so the end product is really heavy. Lots of armor, a big stabilized gun, and fast. But the trade off is weight and an insane fuel consumption rate.

And the reason the Leopard 2 and the Abrams look similar is because they are the products of a joint effort to develop an MBT between the US and Germany. Hell, the 120mm cannon shared by both tanks is developed by Rhinemetal. And with the success of the Leopard 2 in Germany, a lot of other NATO powers wanted to model their tanks after it. The US's non-NATO allies borrowed heavily from the Abrams in their development, too. Which is why most NATO tanks look the same - developed from two tanks which were developed from one source.

The reason why most NATO MBT's look the same is more due to the limitations of the ceramic/steel/X composite armour than anything else. The Dorchester and successive types of armour can't be moulded and work best in flat sheets hence why all the MBT's are giant slabby things (but the composite is actually less dense than the same thickness of steel so its not as heavy as you would expect). The latest Leopard has a sleeker turret but thats just steel vanity panels that are designed to be replaced.

Plus the west wants to select its tank crews from the best of the selection pool and to have some degree of comfort so the tanks are much bigger (and the Chally and Abrams have a hot water kettle on board). The Russians just built tanks for borderline midgets and gently caress comfort.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Still have 50k xp before i can get the top gun on the Conq :negative:

I don't want to have to spend real money to get the free XP needed but drat its a lot of gold needed. At least it means I won't be stupid enough to play it as a heavy tank instead of the fat medium that it is.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
This weekend so far I have been getting a 50% success rate for calling out fail platoons. It seems to get up pubbies noses when you call them out on their stupidity. I try to work princess and crying into the reply and that gets them going.

Added points for being top three tank every time as well.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Goon skirmish team needs a fifth. Show up. e: rip Goons.

http://na.wargaming.net/clans/1000019755/

If they're a troll clan, their commander is INCREDIBLY dedicated to stat-badding.

Do they think WG NA is that stupid not to think they are a bunch of Confederate failure racists?

Current clan description is

quote:

Celebrating the creation of the Royal Netherlands Navy in 1488 and the 13 original captains lead by Catchem Lynch.

No person who likes the Dutch would ever think to have a person named after a war criminal in the clan

Actually WG NA may be that stupid to let them hide.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

MoraleHazard posted:

Got it. I have the 105mm, 2 seconds is very meaningful, that should get me to under 10 seconds reload. I didn't think view range was as important in a heavy tank, but maybe that's ignorant. Turret it is. Turret > engine > radio now.

If you have decent scouts and mediums view range is less important than other stats.

So in random games its a god send. Being able to get off the first aimed shot is very useful. Also the front of the turret is made up of nearly pure bullshit so hide that hull as much as you can.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

srb posted:

You're gonna get tank spergs on your rear end if you just call it "M1 Abrams", as the M1 Abrams is armed with the 105mm L7 and is significantly less advanced in terms of armor and sensors than current Abrams and Leopard 2 types. Also, Leopard 2 best tank.

Well, thanks to the German gun and British armour the current Abrams is pretty good but drinks fuel like you are invading an oil rich arab country.

Hellsau posted:

http://na.wargaming.net/clans/1000019755/

1488 is now Rhodesian First and Only. Going through Wikipedia, it turns out that the racist white minority banned the National Democratic Party shortly before the civil war. If only NDP weren't dead...

I'm going to put money on the next name of the clan being The Vlakplaas

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

sc0tty posted:

I've got a bunch of free XP that I'm not sure what to use it on.

- I'm midway through the Tiger and am currently thinking that I save it to help me through the Tiger II in order to get to the E75 (and E100 eventually).
- I'm halfway through the grind to the ISU-152, which was the original plan, but I'm guessing that the SU-152 plays so similarly that I'm better off spending the XP somewhere else and just slowing chipping away towards the ISU?
- I'm also sitting on 50k on my Jumbo Sherman so I can go to either the T20 or the T29
- I'm almost through the Chaffee so could use it in getting the T37 kitted out and work towards the Walker Bulldog, but I'm pretty bad at this game and light tanks are even harder.
- I've just unlocked the KV-85 but I was useless in the KV1-S and after using the Sherman for so long I can't handle the awful gun depression so I think I might just leave that line there for now until I feel like a change.
- I also have the Lowe and FCM 50t, of which I really enjoy the Lowe. Having finally figured out reverse angling and good hull-down spots on maps I'm making the most of the amazing gun.

Any thought on where I should go (other than botes, I'm not in the beta)? I was leaning towards the T20 to get a good medium tank but apparently the line tapers out after that? Would prefer to work towards decent Tier IX medium tank. The E75 is probably another good alternative but I'm not sure how bad the Tiger II grind would be?

Never use free xp to unlock tanks, use it to unlock modules on new tanks so you never have to play a stock tank. The number of stock tanks that are not poo poo is low. This is very true for the ISU-152 as without the top gun BL-10 you are either throwing gold all the time in the 152mm gun or throwing gold all the tim in the 122mm guns that are good at teir 6 but are very bad when you face teir 10's.

The T20 is one of the better teir 7 mediums but teir 7 heavys, lights and TD's are much better than the mediums. The long 88 is ok at teir 8 if you a ready to feed it gold when needed so the grind isn't as bad as others and the tank itself is one of the better 8's

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

sc0tty posted:

Definitely. More so asking for advice on which lines are worth grinding up, and I'll use the free XP along the way for upgrades. I made the mistake of free-xping to the VK 36.01 H. Never again.

The T20 is nice and has a good gun but while the Comet has a worse gun it is a better all round tank. The Pershing is a good all round tank but doesn't excel at anything. The Pattons are the same all rounder's that are just not as good as the Russians.

The T29 is a great tank in a field of great tanks. A turret front made of bullshit and a decent gun and relatively mobile. The T32 has an even better turret front but the same gun with a slight RoF increase and that's it. Very underwhelming. The line then takes a right turn with decent all round heavy's that don't excel at anything.

I can't say anything about the others as I haven't got them but the top gun on the ISU is a stereotypical doom cannon, the guns leading up to it are bad for a tier 7, never mind 8.

For American lights they are all great up to the Bulldog, the T49 is a gimmick tank like the KV-2. Fast, mobile with ok guns that can deal with the sides and rears of most things you can face. But if you don't like dancing like a butterfly and stinging like a bee they are not for you unless you do organised groups as you cannot rely on pubbies to shoot what you light up. Still nothing as fun as schooling a tier 9 heavy in a tier 7 light.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Finally got the top gun on the Conqueror. Now I have a big enough hammer to actually scare pubbies into not rushing me and good lord is a laser gun compaired to Russian guns.

Now I just need the top engine and I can be the fat medium the thing was designed to be

Foxtrot_13 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 15, 2015

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

I doubt I'll ever get better than being a coin-flipper. As much as I like this game I'm just not the sort of person who likes reading about maps, reading and then rereading guides, and memorizing the stats and weakspots on every tank. I'll probably try for the FC4204 mission but it'll undoubtedly be a nightmare of brute forcing my way to whatever the objective is.

On the plus side I'm only 110k away from unlcoking the Cent 7/1. That's only, what, 50 daily doubles?

You don't need to sperg about theory to get better at the game. Most tanks have generic weekpoints (commanders hatch, lfp, drivers hatch etc) and most guns in the countries lines are the same type (slow firing sledgehammers, high ROF low damage etc) so just know about them. The same for armour.

Also most maps have three corridors or basic areas certain tanks can do well with. It's not alot to be able to do well. For example Redshire the centre hill and the east is the key, the road on the west is a shooting gallery if you controll the centre. Every other map has similar basic strats.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
So a Borsig who camped at the back, spent half the match clicking on the map instead of red tanks, decided that the arty that were doing a decent job were not doing anything so TK's all three of them, getting banned in the process. The only three shots he made were against out own team.

:downsbravo:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Steelion posted:

HE is poo poo.

Tell that to the Borsig and AMR AC48 i oneshotted in the SU152 with HE

(The SU152 is one fo the few guns HE is OK to use as long as you pack HEAT as well.)

But yes HE is a special thing to use and if you are not sure when to use it don't, use gold instead.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Talking of PANSY I wish i had saved it but one game a number of people on both teams ended up taking the piss out of one pubbie.

He gets killed very early because he is a poo poo pubbie and calls out our team as gay.

I start out with "You say gay like its a bad thing"
He blows up and starts with the fag talk
Someone on his team then kicks in with "You should try sucking another mans cock, it's fun" and goes on from there. By the end of the game he was so mad he couldn't even spell.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Steelion posted:

Oh I've had the gun for ages, I elited the tank not too long ago. I've been doing better since, but not having the free XP to insta-buy the gun meant I was stuck with the 20pdr long enough for it to tank my stats in the meantime.

I am chronically short on free XP.

e: Same scenario with my Tortoise, except that thing needed the 120 even more, arguably.

God yes the 20pdr is not a great gun at teir 8, at teir 9 it's :emo:

Now I have the 120mm it is much better. Not a big rear end doom gun but a good RoF and like a laser so snap shots are no longer snap shots. A great tank to sit back a bit and tack shot after shot at any idiot that you can see.

What the Cearn needs is a RoF buff to bring it's DPM in line with outher tier 8 tanks. DPM is not great i the meta of the game but it would make the Cearn at least useful but thats one of many things needed to fix the British line but the player base doesn't go apeshit over the British tanks so they will be sitting with the French and Chinese at the back.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

RandomAction Man posted:

Can somebody explain why they refuse to implement a skill based matchmaker? I hate seeing most of my team being pretty new to the game and inexperienced and the enemy team being mostly made out of experienced players. It just seems really unfair sometimes.

Because WG has enough trouble with the MM as it is and adding in yet another thing it needs to look at will cause even more headaches and fuckups. Do you lump all the good players together and end up pushing their stats down and into lower skill brackets and defeat the point or do you spread it so the four top tiers have a spread of skill? But then you get the strength of the tanks so a good player in a good tank will still have a much greater impact than a good player in a lovely tank

Plus how do you know the persons stats are actually an indication of their skill? It's far too easy to pad stats and people do it so how do you measure some ones skill? You might get a matchup that on W/R looks even but one side may be full of stat padders while the other teams tomatoes might have made the effort to learn the game more over the last 100 matches and it still is a one sided stomp.

With a truly random MM it will statistically provide a mostly even team most of the time with only platoons messing with the randomness. Anything else will just end up being a massive fuckup

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

WitchFetish posted:

I went with Jason Statham when I decided to rename my Caernavon's crew.

I changed my firefly commander to Malcolm Reynolds.

You can't take the sky from me! :clint:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

TheFluff posted:

So I'm reading the internal Swedish evaluation of the British (BAOR) 1973 evaluation report on the S-tank, and it's a loving riot. The Swedish observers have a lot to say about the British army's poo poo. Archive documents are usually drier than Sahara, but this is genuinely entertaining reading.

On gunnery skills:

On command style and discipline:

On observation and crew resource management:

On tactics:

On civilian relations:

There's a lot more of this. Should I keep on translating? Maybe it's a better fit for the milhist thread in A/T.

So what I am reading here is squaddies being squaddies. When the poo poo hasn't hit the fan they really just don't try too much. Plus the army in the 70's was very much like the rest of the country with the Rupert's being self absorbed better than you attitude and the squaddies treating it like they are owed a living. Things are much different now (on the hole much more professional even if they still don't give a poo poo if its not a war zone)

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
So tomorrow will be jammed packed with the premium Japanese tanks. So whats the best tank to go and shoot pubbies ? KV-1S with the 120mm? M4 with the derp? Pz4 with the derp?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
I've discovered a new tank to pad my WN8 in.

The Conqueror. Just by doing my HP in damage it puts me in the teal range of WN8. I know the tank is rubbish with the 20pdr but holy hell just by not sucking I am doing very well.

And yes i did spend a lot of time sucking in it before it clicked. Not a tank that can carry with ease or bully lower tiers.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Finally got the mastery in the Bulldog.

1,519 base xp
6 kills
2,413 damage done
3,144 spotting damage

I was about to ask if anyone has got more than 1519 base xp in the thing but someone will show a 1700 xp game

Now with the replay if you fancy watching me get lucky against the T28 Proto

http://wotreplays.com/site/1801421?secret=1bfbec431b639607dbf1dc0e38d59a67

Foxtrot_13 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 15, 2015

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

maev posted:

The T-34-1 is the only good feeling medium in probably the shittest tier for mediums.

The problem isn't with the mediums, the Comet, T20 and others are decent tanks. The prblem is that the heavys get a missive jump at tier 7 with the likes of the Tiger, T29 and Black Prince.

The biggest dog of a medium at tier 7 is the T-43 as it's just a T34-85 that sees tiers 9's

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Hellsau posted:

EE please don't repost Daisengui fanfiction here.

Most of that is marketing fluff that you get if you are looking to buy any modern MBT like the T-90/Abrams/Challenger/Leopard. Only nationalistic muppets think that it's true.

Oh...........

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I think we must be in alternate dimensions, because I found those two tanks amazing. They are so fast and manoeuvrable, you just absolutely murder stuff if you get into position. And you scout really well as a sideline.

I found the T-43 to be utter rubbish, a T-34-85 that sees tier 9's. That 85mm is just a poor gun for a tier 7.

The T-44 on the other hand just works for me in a way the Cent and Pershing doesn't. Fast, low and able to flank and just do medium things well.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Rorac posted:

I was checking my stats on VBA. How the hell did I get a 2800 WN8 in the IS? No seriously, I'm not that good, and I've got like 85 or so games in it, so it's not like I've had a handful of blowout games in it. I know we all joke about how pubbies can't left click, but come the gently caress on.

Some tanks are either hard to use, have an utterly poo poo stock grid or attract the mouth breathers like tits on a pig. All will drop the WN8 on a tank. The British heavy's are like this with you needed to only pen three shots with the Conq's top gun to get green WN8. four pens is unicum land.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

The Southern Dandy posted:

Counterpoint: one-shotting a 5000 WN8 re-roll is never-ending enjoyment.

Nothing more funny than watching a player loose their poo poo complaining about XVM sniping. I even saw Circumflex complain about it in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Jack_tripper posted:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1903042?secret=0064d8edf7930b88f50ef7f193c4cc49

watch as a full health t29 and half health super pershing can't handle a bulldog with 300 HP; if I couldn't see their stats I would assume they intentionally threw this game

A good Bulldog player can easily outplay the average WoT player in a a T29 and spershing. Both are too slow to force the engagement on their terms and Redshire has enough cover to allow the sort of hit and run tactics needed.