Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disinterested posted:

Lab-Con coalition? I can't think of a more remote possibility.

Full communism :smith::hf::ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Caroline Lucas is arguing for railway renationalisation.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/02/fare-rises-british-railways-should-be-renationalised-caroline-lucas

Also, household debt dropped from 175% of income after the crash to around 130% so yay, we're less poor!

We aren't, old people are (unless you're an old person in which case apologies :corsair:)

http://www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2015/jan/04/credit-boom-ticking-timebomb-uk-plc

'Yet the overall figure depends on the over-50s paying off their mortgages at an accelerated rate. By contrast, the under-40s take on bigger mortgages to buy a home with an inflated price and borrow on credit cards to fund a lifestyle ravaged by six years of below inflation pay rises.'

(over-50s are also the people who were able to buy houses back before they cost more than the GDP of Argentina, and have been ringfenced from austerity cuts to pensions, of course...)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

As were the English. In fact, if you look at the history of the language it's more accurate to say that the people of Britain have stolen all kinds of words from the people who came to abuse them, not the other way round. Which should come as no surprise to anyone - when you conquer a people you do it to impose your culture and language on them, not the other way round.

I must have missed the bit where the Mughal Empire invaded and subjugated us and made us use words like 'nabob' and 'bungalow' .

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Then they'll say 'we did it everyone, we beat the deficit - we don't need all this tax revenue now, tax cuts for everyone!'

I doubt this bit somehow.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I thought they shut it down a few decades ago? Otherwise I'd have mentioned it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincolnshire_Poacher_(numbers_station) says 2008. Of course, that is just Wikipedia :tinfoil:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disinterested posted:

It is a basic concept in British constitutional law that those who have their property confiscated should be compensated, a principle that has only been violated recently in times of war emergency. Add to that that the Europeans would be super pissed, as would investors in the country.

To the extent that slaveowners were financially compensated when we freed slaves in the Empire. This one goes pretty far back.

When's the last time any vaguely first world country just up and seized a private company like that? Venezuela did something of the sort a lot sooner than the 60s - http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/2245 - but not without any compensation at all.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 14, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TinTower posted:

I can't speak for the Tories (they probably decide policy through what Lynton says), but in Labour you elect people to the National Policy Forums who then decide the bulk of the party's policy; the amount of floor votes at Labour Conference has gone down considerably in the past twenty years. All Lib Dem policy–including the manifesto–is decided at Lib Dem Conference, to which anyone can theoretically submit policy. Lib Dem Conference isn't that shy to bloody the nose of the leadership either; they defeated a heavy push by the leadership to reverse the party's policy on airport expansion in October.

Didn't the Lib Dem conference vote to abolish tuition fees as a manifesto commitment last time? Much good that did anyone :clegg:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely get so mad at this whole attitude of STEM-worship (not saying you're guilty of it).

Can we please start measuring and rewarding disciplines by their overall social utility rather than purely by their economic potential please, tia

Not to mention when people talk about STEM and how industry needs more of it, they don't usually actually mean STEM, they mean computer science (and even then only because industry hates paying non-poo poo wages to anyone who isn't management). The country is not, as far as I'm aware, crying out for more biologists or theoretical physicists.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

awesome-express posted:

I'm not saying that other parts of Britain are hell holes full of misery and suffering, but I personally prefer London to other parts of Britain that I've lived in (Edinburgh for one). That and all the cool tech-poo poo happens here anyway.

Uh most of the real tech poo poo is in Cambridge. Not that housing there's a bed of roses, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disinterested posted:

You're just being :spergin:. A lot of tech poo poo is in both places, as well as Oxford. I'm pretty sure there are more workers in the tech sector in London, but Cambridge is bigger for poo poo like biotech.

And, uh, ARM. That's designed the CPU in pretty much every mobile phone worldwide. And Microsoft Research. And Sinclair Research of ZX Spectrum fame back in the day. And Acorn Computer. In so far as this country has a Silicon Valley, it has for a long time now been Cambridge, not London or Oxford; there's some trendy .com stuff in Shoreditch but there's no guarantee it'll last past the next tech bust.

• Locked thread