Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Kudos to you, sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Skwirl posted:

No, that's Johnny, he frequently had solo adventures in Strange Tales before it became the Nick Fury/Doctor Strange book.

So many panels from that run could be posted here... The insanely awful art when it became a Ben/Johnny book (Dick Ayers on pencils??) the incredibly lame villains the Torch faced (William Van Vile? The Acrobat? Paste Pot Pete? ), the Thing in a Beatles wig....Strange Tales might have been the worst book early Marvel published.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Paste Pot Pete was a legitimate villain for a good chunk of the initial Lee/Kirby run, mostly as part of the Frightful Four which included Medusa (yes, Black Bolt's wife, well ex-wife at this point, I think she's dating Johnny Storm right now if you want to bring this full circle). Don't joke about Paste Pot Pete, he'll seal up your mouth and nose holes and watch you suffocate.

Basically if Spider-Man's webs have any effect on the Human Torch, then Paste Pot Pete is also a legitimate threat.

Once he became the Trapster and got a legit costume he became a decent villain. But don't fool yourself into thinking he had a great beginning - he had a weird look and literally carries around an open bucket of glue with a pump gun. He was a true joke until he met up with the Wizard.

And I still think the original Beetle costume was pretty cool...

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
From Iron Man #233... Oh Marcy, if only you had a crystal ball...

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I guess having the squirts while only wearing a green swimsuit would be extra unpleasant.

Also... Prince Namor is king? How is he a king if he's a prince??? How is he a prince if he's king??? drat you Spidey Super Stories!!!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

The colour thing that I always noticed was how in the Bob Latin and David Michellene Iron-man stories from the 80's, Tony Stark was made to look like his hair had blue highlights.
That's the one I always found weird.

Holy poo poo I thought it was just me. It confused the hell out of 10 year old me as to why Tony had seemingly bright blue hair in some panels and nobody ever reacted to it.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

prefect posted:

Roy Orbison would have been perfect.

Yeah, but then Spidey would have easily defeated him with cling film....

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Oh Silver Age innocence...

And prom is tomorrow night!!

(Amazing Spider-Man #5)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Zeeman posted:

Science!

World's Finest 215

His scientific wizardry??

Scientific????

SCIENTIFIC?????

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

This Xavier talk reminded me he's the Juggernaut's brother. Are there any other kind of dumb relationships like that?

Step-brother.

Every time I think about the Juggernaut, I think of what he looked like in his first appearance or two vs what he turned into in the 90s. Skinny dude who had armor into the Hulk on steroids with a bodysuit.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Who the hell is-

I goddamn love comics.

Hoo boy wait til you discover the rest of the Headmen.... Shrunken Bones, Ruby Thursday, Chondu. You are in for a wild ride.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

This was one of the gems created by none other than Steve Gerber, who left this world too soon.

I'm trying to remember a certain comic that's a tribute to him, but he's actually written as a character hooked up to a tank who's trying to pass on his legacy somehow..

Anyone with Marvel Unlimited needs to go read his She-Hulk run right the gently caress now. It starts with a 2 issue Superman/DC parody, then has his creation Howard the Duck in the most 70s style Gerber story you'll ever read in 1990. He then goes into a Batman parody and leaves soon thereafter, but his 12 issues are gold.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

amishjosh posted:

Was all this inspired by Fletcher Hanks? Gorilla head transplants and shrinking bones, jesus.

Gerber literally went back to all the old Atlas era horror and monster stories, pulled out 3 of the most batshit crazy ones, and made them part of 616 continuity. Then he rounded it out by adding a woman who replaced her head with an organic computer shaped like a red plastic ball and had her run for president.

Gorilla Man had his head placed on a gorilla body. Chondu was a mystical magician that had his body replaced with an amalgamation of mythical creature parts. Shrunken Bones essentially tried a Pym-particle type formula but only succeeded in shrinking his skeleton, so his flesh just hangs loose now.

The running gag with them is Chondu is always getting his head removed and placed on different things - the aforementioned weird creature, Nighthawk, a fawn, the She-hulk, a robotic spider.... God I miss Steve Gerber....

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Cobra money was an episode (Money to Burn), if I remember correctly the idea was that they had a machine that remotely made all the country's paper money burst into flames, and Cobra issued gold Cobra Coins to try to control the US's economy.

That still can't beat Cold Slither, where COBRA went bankrupt, forcing most of the soldiers to go to the unemployment line. The solution? Start a rock band and hypnotically control radio listeners to buy their album and attend their concert!

Listen to the WHM Animation Damnation episode on this for maximum hilarity.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Science?

The first year or two of transformers is a goldmine for this stuff. Someone needs to post issue 13 (?) where some crappy hoodlum finds Megatron stuck in gun mode and becomes the city's most dangerous criminal.

Much like GI Joe, tho, that series was so much better than it had any right to be.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

I liked Circuitbreaker. I liked how Marvel wasn't afraid to explore different ideas in their comics.

Real talk: The 'Nam still holds up. The middle or so definitely becomes a bit less focused, but goddamn does that series still hold up. Hama strikes again.

Hell yes it does. I wish they'd put more up on Unlimited, used to live that book back in the day.

Circuit Breaker was hilarious in that they forced her into 2 panels of an issue of Secret Wars 2 a week or so before her appearance in Transformers. gently caress you, Hasbro!! Original character do not steal!!!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Donald Trump approves of Grey Gargoyle's employer.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

This is even more hilarious when it turns out Falcon is picked solely to fulfill a minority requirement. This leads to two fantastic moments:

1). The Beast reacting to Gyrich claiming they don't employee any minorities by pointing out he and Wanda are mutants, Vision is a synthezoid, and the Black Panther IS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF HIM

2). Falcon reacting to the decree by putting on a Steppin Fetchit accent on the next 4 issues and mocking the whole situation to the point where Captain America has to tell him to stop it.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

Big, so you can read the fine print.

Sensational She-Hulk #5

Holy poo poo every remember every joke from this. Remember when Byrne actually tried? That's 2 pages of legit hilarious text, all in the context of She-Hulk saying "gently caress it" and tearing through her own magazine to get away from danger.

The 'Nam one is still my favorite... can't believe he got away with the weed like in 1989....

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been reading the first golden age omnibus and it's full of weird stuff. I want the war to end because I'm sick of every antagonist being a German or Japanese spy. It's impossible to imagine a modern comic treating contemporary political conflicts the same way the golden age did.

Paging Silver Age Marvel to the thread....

(Yes I know it's not modern but every drat issue featured a Commie spy/super villain/menace)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

If memory serves, a lot of the villains were recently (as of the issue of Deadpool) killed by Scourge during an anti-villain murder parade that Mark Gruenwald wrote in an arc of Captain America.

I wonder who gave permission to allow all those characters to be one-shotted, though.

Gruenwald basically pitched it as a way to clean up the trash that was sitting around and force writers to come up with new and better villains. Most of what he killed off were losers who barely appeared anymore or really really old villains that were collecting dust. The big one he wanted to off was Kraven the Hunter, but the Spider-office nixed it in favor of the "Kraven's Last Hunt" story. Looking back at the list, there wasn't anyone of note on there. Although I always liked the Melter 😔

If I remember correctly, he later said he regretted doing it because any crappy character could be redeemed in the right circumstances.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Rick Jones knows to torture someone...

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

I'm re-reading that Captain Marvel run on Unlimited now and it's a gold mine for this thread. That run up until the "U-Decide" disaster was sooooooo much fun - Micronau... I mean Microns, Drax, Moondragon, Super Skrull, the whole "millennium" debate - Peter David was knocking it out of the park and Chris Cross' art reflected the fun he was having.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
More Captain Marvel, and no this joke never gets old....

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Oh the unfortunate placement of the blacked-out UPC code from Marvel Unlimited... Razorback must be hiding... a huge hog?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thanks.

A quick google gave me the panel I wanted:

The nerd in me is extremely bothered by the fact that Dragon Man, a barely sentient android at the time, is at a bar laughing with other humans about what The Shocker means. And slightly bothered by the Puma being there as well.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Sure it hasn’t, Blacklash, sure it hasn’t.
(Iron Man #224)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Android Blues posted:

It messes with Uncanny a lot too, the fastidiously-ignored-ever-since arc where Wolverine kills Rachel flows out of Secret Wars 2.

He didn’t kill her but he straight up slashed her face and gutted her. Then she wandered through the forest until Spiral tricked her into being healed then wasn’t seen again until Excalibur like 3 years later.

That was one of the first X-Men comics I ever owned - came as part of a 25 pack collection of Marvel comics out of the Sears Wish Book. What a hell of an intro to the team....

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The first sign everyone should have had that Thor was temporarily replaced by someone else.

It took the Avengers and the MU in general WAAAAAAAY too long to figure out Thor was a different guy.

“He grew a beard over night, talks really differently, and seems to have no idea how to use his powers.... Nope, nothing different here!!”

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Ummmm.... did Marvel’s lawyers fall asleep this day?

T’Challa was just... paying his way through school. Yeah! That’s it!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

zoux posted:

Sure thing bud

A lot of people must have died, because that book lasted for just a few months after that ad appeared....

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I didn't read it, but I know Kirkman invented a kinda cool new gay character then brutally killed him.

Freedom Ring (which is a cringeworthy name in 2018), he could alter reality, but only within like a four foot radius around himself, it's the kinda thing a good writer could go whole hog on with cool poo poo but still be able to maintain decent stakes for the comic, except he got stabbed a million time at once by an evil alternate universe Tony Stark called Iron Maniac.

That actually would have been a good character to bring back with zero explanation as to how they're alive again after Secret Wars.

I always loved how the character came up with his super hero name. His boyfriend/love interest mentioned about getting some free dumb ring and it stuck ☺️

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Lobok posted:

Yep, that was Gerber. And yep, Thing comes off as a huge rear end in a top hat to the shopkeeper. And in the premiere issue. Right from the very first splash page he's tearing up the guy's store.

Took me years to realize that Marvel Team-Up and Marvel Two-in-One were really just "Spider-Man series #2" and "Thing spin-off comic". Like they were afraid of saying it plainly or didn't want to write themselves into a corner of always having to use those two. But they didn't use that freedom much. In Team-Up, Spider-Man is only missing from 10 of 150 issues.

The Thing is a 1000 times more interesting when he has someone to play off of, and Ben Grimm has been my favorite character since I was about 5. The solo series in the 80s wasn’t too bad, especially once they got him off Battleworld and had him wander the country. I just loved going back and finding those two in one back issues to see how he found a way to wander into some other hero’s turf :)

And I always thought Marvel Team Up was conceived as a Spider-Man/Human Torch book, but they got sick of it real quick and just had Spidey meet whoever they wanted. Torch then became the go-to character when Spider-Man needed a break.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

One Russian and three apes also got cosmic rayed.

Also Bruce Banner and some skrulls.

And don’t forget the U-Foes, who not only did it intentionally but also overexposed themselves to get better powers than the FF.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Begemot posted:

They had been amputated because he was attacked by the Reavers, an anti-mutant terrorist group who were eventually revealed to be working for... Apocalypse. Well, the Reavers only damaged the wings, they were amputated as part of a plot by his old college buddy, Cameron Hodge, who provided the seed money for the elaborate scam that was X-Factor, but turned out to also be an anti-mutant extremist with a grudge.

Comic books!

It was the Marauders, not the Reavers. I think Harpoon and Sabretooth did the damage to his wings, then hung him like a butterfly specimen in the sewers. They were working for Mister Sinister by way of Apocalypse (?) and somehow Gambit was retroactively involved in the shadows....

The Reavers were the cyborg group on the Australian desert that eventually crucified a Wolverine.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Android Blues posted:

The Marauders are the absolute worst. Mutant Massacre is a real black mark on that run, just pointless grimdarkness while guys like Scalphunter and Harpoon take centre stage, with their only motivation for like a year of issues being, "we're really evil and hate mutants, and also, a shadowy figure with ambiguous motivations hired us to do this".

Don’t forget having Polaris rejoin the team only to immediately be possessed by Marauder member Malice, turning her evil and then bonding to her permanently and she joined the Marauders but then she got better and went to Muir Isle and her powers went wonky and she turned into a white She Hulk that gained power from other people’s anger but then it turned out it was the Shadow King and she

Is there a macro of Kate’s head exploding?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Zaodai posted:

That rhinos will stop charging to go stomp out a fire?

I heard that from Stone Philips.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

That whole 4 issue limited series is batshit insane and full of panels like that. Dave Cockrum was given free reign to write and draw his favorite character and every page shows just how much he was having.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Also, I don't think he's holding it so much as judoing it over his head.

Drawn by, of all people, Mark Gruenwald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm not, Old Thor had the metal arm in the future bits from the very first issue of Aaron's run. He's not getting the arm back as long as Aaron is writing him (and honestly I don't know why a future writer would undo it). The question is if we see Thor lose the eye too in his run.

Wasn’t he armless in the future that Dan Jurgens wrote in his run? The Reigning?