Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Gavok posted:

They're currently retelling Street Fighter 3.

I did not know that. I'm gonna have to get caught up now. I love the UDON SF comics. I even have a massive Chun Li banner from the Udon booth that I bought at the end of SDCC one year,

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

The movie B&R are really close to that first comic. Really close. Down to the excitement about being transformed and the Shredder-worship.

Yeah, I liked the most recent movie a lot more than the previous one, and B&R were one of the main reasons why. Also, I love the fact that it basically is just a live action version of the animated series (to the point of having a cover of the theme song play over the credits).

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

If I'm understanding this correctly, she's about to flick him the bird.

Yeah, you gotta watch out for that when counting by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlow12sSdmc

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SilverSupernova posted:

And the Doom's were always in all caps.

There is literally a song about how to properly write DOOM's name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY

Granted, it's MF DOOM, but the point still stands.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
"Clint" in that font, read quickly, looks like something else entirely. Dot your lowercase "i"'s people, it can make quite a bit of a difference in how your audience initially perceives your story.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of cons and dangerous/weird settings, Kansas City's Naka Kon used to be held in the very same building where this happened.

https://i.redd.it/0jrystnknl601.jpg

The Hyatt Regency.

I've walked over that repaired walkway many times before I ever learned of what happened to it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 21, 2019

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I have no context for this and I am entirely ok with that.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Zetsubou-san posted:

he just refuses to let people attach his name to an adaptation of one of his works

Alan Moore did allow his name to be credited on the JLU episode "For The Man Who Has Everything".

It may actually be the only adaptation his name is on as far as I know.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

Nope. The reason he started this was a run of terrible adaptations of his work like the film From Hell. After that and LXG (let us not call it by the comic's title) in particular where a producer talked up how much Moore loved the movie, Moore started demanding his name not be used on things.

Have not seen From Hell, so I didn't know if his name was on it or not, but I did know that he's basically wanted nothing to do with adaptations of his work for a long time. One of the reasons I was shocked to see his name on the opening credits for that episode of JLU (didn't watch the series till years after it came out).

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Twisted Toyfare Theatre was one of the funniest things I had ever read at the time. Still holds up honestly.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Snackmar posted:

That always gets me about modern adaptations of Sherlock Holmes.. Everyone in that world had no Sherlock Holmes stories up to that point and therefore some elements of their culture and idioms should be kind of alien

(maybe everyone gets big into pirates instead a la Watchmen)

There's a scene in the film Yesterday (the one where everyone forgets the Beatles except one person) where he asks about the band Oasis and it turns out they never existed in this reality.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

The mother looking extremely good for a woman who just gave birth

Especially so considering the baby is about half the size of her, and I gotta imagine those extra two arms just made it even more difficult.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grendels Dad posted:

It's pretty funny that there is no further resolution to that, she just grabs her money and exits the movie like she's Benicio Del Toro in a Star Wars movie. I guess the producers of the cartoon had kids like me in mind, I rooted for her to get together with Ipkiss.

This was brought up in a deleted scene

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

...and just remember, ALL CAPS when you spell the man name

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

Batman has been known to wear a second disguise under his cowl to throw off people trying to learn his secret identity. It's crazy but it works.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Invulnerable hair and skin means, if he sheds dead skin cells as often as people, a bunch of folk getting miners lung just from being around him.

Ah woops he shed a hair. Hope it doesnt get into any machinery.
Using a bunch of superman dead skin as a polishing rouge

Superman IV thought of this somewhat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cSMTMp01w

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

The Punisher War Journal #17 (1990)

Here's what you are supposed to do.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yotsuba&.

Don't remember which issue, best to just read them all. This series is hilarious and delightful. Manga, so read right to left.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 11, 2023

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

Spider-Man #9: Electro learns an important lesson on why villains have henchmen

This is literally the plot of an episode of Pinky and the Brain. They get into Fort Knox and then realize that mice can't carry gold bricks.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

PainterofCrap posted:

This reminds of the Twilight Zone episode "Of Late I Think of Cliffordville." In 1963, a rich old gently caress makes a deal with the devil to go back in time to 1910 and buy oil-producing acreage for cheap, only to face the dawning realization that the required extraction technology won't exist until 1937.

That kind of reminds me of the episode, "The Rip Van Winkle Caper", where a scientist and a bunch of criminals steal a million in gold, then go into cryogenic sleep for 100 years.

Turns out that 100 years in the future, people have discovered how to synthesize gold and it therefore holds no value, also the thieves end up killing each other before they even find that out

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

Blue Beetle #41 (1946)

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #142 (1967)

I don't care if this is the kite

https://i.imgur.com/9uHHgLN.mp4

at some point, I will look at the monkey in a superman outfit being dragged around by a leash.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Darthemed posted:

Keen Detective Funnies #6 (1939)

"Ready to get your photo taken?"

"I should probably label these triggers...gimme a second!"

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Then maybe don't speak your scheme to trick the blind person less than two feet away from said blind person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kennel posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 6/26/77

He would after you made him sell his peanut farm