Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I didn't hear any automatic fire. Either those guys were well trained and disciplined (and they did appear to be, from their movement and the head shot on the wounded police officer while running) and kept their rifles on semi, or those were "sporter" AKs made for civilian export.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GyverMac posted:

Yeah, I dont get why some people are so inherently resistant to the thought that Islam needs to examine itself and modernize its teachings in order to work better in a modern society.

There's nothing "moderate" Muslims can do to curb extremism, period. It's not in their power and it's not their job anyway.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

Always mind boggling that the most violent, repressive religion gets essentially defended by people who self-describe as "liberal." Muslim terrorist attack after Muslim terrorist attack, the script is the same. "Please think of all of the good Muslim people!" "It's just a coincidence that these hundreds of terrorist attacks have all been perpetrated by Muslims." "Christianity is just as bad!!!!!" Thread is super predictable in its abundance of horrible posting.

How about we just think that the world has a shitload of good people in it, including many Muslims? That the VAST majority of people on this Earth don't want to kill random people?

Let's start with that baseline. Then let's examine Islam irrespective of whether its adherents are "good" or "bad." And when you examine that religion, you find shockingly backwards and violent teachings . Being gay can be a death sentence in Islamic countries due to the religion. Apospasty is a death sentence due to the religion. Women are widely regarded as property due to the religion. If a Muslim woman is raped, a commonplace occurrence in Muslim countries, she is now at risk of being killed by her family members due to the religion. Sexual abuse is rife due to the religion. Blaspheming can lead to death (and has led to death today) due to the religion. And finally, and perhaps most importantly, killing non-believers is encouraged.

Maybe, just maybe, the religion founded by a violent psychopath pedophile is the problem. Maybe, just maybe, Muhammad was a bad person, and that bad people who are Muslims can follow his example and start killing random people, hanging gay people, beating raped women to death, marrying children, and all sorts of other deplorable things. People like the lovely posters in this thread and people who share their views in the media (e.g. Ben Affleck) are a major problem in this world. They refuse to identify Islam for what it is. They ignore reality. They're enablers. The Neville Chamberlains of the modern world.

And, please, enough with the "it's religion that is the problem!!!!" There is no Christian airplane hijacking epidemic. The world is not facing a problem of Buddhists going around beheading children. There are not Jewish people putting bombs on themselves and blowing up a bus full of people or blowing up a pizzeria. Hindus aren't blowing up night clubs. Atheists aren't blowing up trains. Taoists aren't killing people for drawing cartoons. RELIGION in and of itself isn't the issue. That equivalency doesn''t exist in any plane of reality. Islam has a virtual monopoly on violence. And try as you might to ignore that fact, you get reminded year after year with each new terrorist attack that it is obnoxiously wrong.

We might be more willing to give your rhetoric any consideration at all if you didn't keep going on about "Islam." This is Islamism and political terrorism plain and simple, and it has as much to do with Islam as the Jamestown Massacre had to do with animism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Droopy Goines posted:

I'm curious. Who do you think can help curb Islamic extremism?

Stop destroying entire nations with century-old colonialist policies.

Powercrazy posted:

I hope that France can finally start talking about getting serious with gun control after this.

There is no chance these AKs were registered and permitted weapons. They came in through smuggling channels, along with an RPG.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ronniegardocki posted:

lol muslims kill people over the stupidest poo poo

Seems shrewd enough to me. They'll encourage the flowering of French fascism and sharpen bigotry and hatred towards all people who appear foreign, which in turn will drive recruitment and further attacks.

e:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

There isn't an RPG

Ah, was that misreported?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Droopy Goines posted:

My mistake, I thought I would get a real answer.

I'm surprised at your disengagement, that's definitely a real answer. It's certainly a more real answer than "Fix your poo poo, Islam."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

That's the anarchist argument for terrorism, I'm pretty sure they were primarily motivated by hitting back against those who had insulted their religion.

Nonetheless, the methods and rationale (inflame->isolate->recruit) are similar.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Chinese, how many of you warriors against Islam are picturing a Han Chinese in a white cap? The answer is none of you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

The Iraq War has, in retrospect, no material strategic justification whatsoever. Unjustified murderousness is agnostic.

Marine removed from duty over Bible coin reports

e:

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm a racist because when I think of Muslim terrorists in a Western context, I only picture the Muslim terrorists who actually attacked us.

Thanks for admitting, at long last, that you are not profiling Muslims, you're profiling Arabs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

NomChompsky posted:

You do realize that whole pork eating crusader patch thing is purchased on their own and put on their uniform by soldiers who choose to because they're shitheads, right? It's not like, a unit, or anything.

Yes, obviously. It is a morale patch, like these:

But it's tolerated. And military commanders have a hell of a lot more direct responsibility for their troops wearing it than "Islam" does for the actions of terrorists.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

Except that the very highest level of administration (Rumsfeld) used scripture as a justification for invading Iraq, including portraying it as a holy war/crusade?

He just picked that example because the other two I posted are clear and irrefutable examples of systemic religious extremism in the leadership of the coalition forces.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Please, folks. Let's not squander the opportunity presented by a political massacre

The National Front sure won't! And neither will David Cameron.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed, I doubt the US Military has the capacity to pull off this kind of revenge killing with such little collateral damage.

It's really surprising. They're taking aimed shots.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well they did run one guy over after a firefight with police.

Actually that's even the stranger part to me: How loving bad to the Paris police have to be that they could get away at all? If you did this poo poo in a major city in America, you'd have a swarm of helicopters that would blot out the sun over you in 90 seconds.

I don't think so. This was a surgical attack, there was no time to respond. They'd certainly lock the area down after the fact, just like the French police have done.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

Since you have stated it is not "credibly argued" then I suppose it is mere coincidence that there are massive Muslim attacks, using the same terrorist tactics where civilians are targeted,, in Chechnya/Moscow, Mumbai, Pakistan, southeast Asia, north Africa, Nigeria, and Sudan, to name a few. The list goes on.

It is almost like every location where significant Muslim populations exist, there have been incidences of terrorism. Weird. It can't be that Islam is to blame for attacks, because that is bigoted. So it must be some grand coincidence.

All of those countries' Muslim populations have been hosed over by neoliberalism, colonialism, sectarian oppression or outright invasion. What are they supposed to do, have a conference?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

Nor will Netanyahu, good point as usual SedanChair. Also good observation that these attackers seemed very professional. You've got to ask yourself, what organizations or nations are going to really benefit from this?

I thought it would be pointless to mention Bibi, as his response will be the same as when a bottle rocket scares a cat out of a tree.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

pathetic little tramp posted:

Americans need to see more death caused by the weapons they vomit out into the world, imo.

Kalashnikovs?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

1. Americans stupidly cry about comparatively insignificant loss of life.
2. Jihadists successful: Is Islam accurate?
3. Did the towers burn so strongly because the Americans in them were so fat?
4. Career warmongers in quasi-Satanic structure die in agony LOL
5. Five year old African dying of malaria expresses sympathy for rich westerners
6. Heaven Preparing for Thousands of Innocent Victims of American Vengeance
7. Dumb Jew bought a house on 9/10
8. Mohammed Atta is enjoying totally cool paradise
9. Guy jumping out of tower unaware that the fire department could have saved him

Are these funny, acceptable jokes?

They are, and you definitely understand the distinction between real satire and the weak poo poo we have in the US. And of course 9/11 found us at our most cowardly and strength-worshiping. No bad songs on the radio, no one can say obviously true things like when Bill Maher made the observation that the attacks were not cowardly. Everyone gasped like "no! It has to be cowardly! It has to be everything that is bad!" Knowing the truth in their hearts. We slip into tacitly shared, unchallengable public fictions really easily in this country.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

Did anybody blame that on political correctness back then

Oh yeah, Maher chief among them. Kind of a given since the show he lost in the backlash was literally "Politically Incorrect." Of course, now Maher uses these speech bona fides as a pass to attack all Muslims.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Peacefully demonstating in favor of liberal values against violently backward and conservatarded religion is 'reactionary?'

You are a drooling idiot.

I wish leftists would disown fuckers like this.

It's part of the conservative mindset to demand "disowning" from inchoate others, it seems. But you demand the same of Muslims, and they do it, and you're like "WHERE IS IT? I SIMPLY DO NOT SEE MUSLIMS DENOUNCING RADICALISM!" *wears two eyepatches* "WHERE IS IT?"

So why would we run after your demands to denounce this or that? It's not like you're going to stop erecting strawmen of whatever you want leftists to be.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A Pale Horse posted:

Narciss is either trolling now or was trolling before when he was talking about muslims cutting off clitorises and mass murdering people all the time earlier in the thread. Or its account sharing. Just check his posts in this thread.

It's common enough that the "leftists" conservatives hold up as examples of ridiculousness are actually conservatives pretending to be leftist caricatures.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

TheImmigrant posted:

Not all cultures are equal. Culture is not innate, like ethnicity is, and we are all free to observe or discard various elements of a culture. Certain tenets of conservative Islam, which is a culture rather than a race or ethnicity, are incompatible with French culture. There is nothing racist about acknowledging the superiority of secular culture over Christian theocratic culture, and I doubt even the most reactionary and strident defenders of Islamic backwardness would disagree on that point.

I don't think the French government would come out so nakedly and assert that their culture is superior, they would just say it's theirs. But keep honking on that dog whistle!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

The Burmese junta oppress the Rohingya for reasons that are more about national and ethnic chauvinism than religious bigotry.

You don't say, could this in fact be the explanation for many conflicts that are labeled religious by gloating white flacks?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Almost all of them, I'm sure.

Still, it's good to burst that bubble some people have that 'oh yeah it's only those loving monotheists that are out murdering people'. Eastern spiritualism~ is all cool and peaceful.

Blame California.

It's some analogue of the noble savage. Why can't mom and dad be cool like the Indians etc. Why can't they be mellow like the Chinese.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liberal_L33t posted:

So yes, in some sense, the artists and editors at Charlie Hebdo did intentionally make themselves targets to Islamic fundamentalists. They also took care to position themselves as equal-opportunity offenders, including mocking the arguments of other critics of Islam. They positioned themselves on a volatile cultural fault line and dared the traditionalists to take a shot at them. The latter did, and now they are going to reap the consequences. It's only been weeks, and already we've had the leader of the most populous arab state directly criticizing the backwards tendencies of Islam as a whole. The massacre created the rhetorical space for him to do so, even if he felt obliged to offer some criticism of the cartoons at the same time. More and more Islamic leaders, as well as common citizens, are starting to feel the need to apologize for their religion and culture - which is good, because that religion has a LOT to apologize for and a lot of fundamental changes it needs to make. So, yes, the writers of Charlie Hebdo absolutely have made the world a better place with their work, and I don't think praising them as martyrs is going too far.

That criticism has been going on in the Muslim world the whole time; you just started paying attention to it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hepatizon posted:

Has it been coming from national leaders?

Yes, it has.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hepatizon posted:

I might have misunderstood what SedanChair meant by "the whole time". I assumed he meant like, since 9/11 or something. Did he mean "since the day of the Charlie Hebdo attack"?

Since Nasser.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Didn't you know the army has a duty? To slay protesters and depose elected leaders.

I presume we can expect Ted Cruz to be bayonetted on the Capitol steps any day now. Oh wait were you talking about other nations only?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Hard to know where all the anti Muslim sentiment comes from these days :rolleyes:

Right here, from you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

A close eyewitness reported the shooter was a 25-30-year-old white man—"looked like a European, could easily be an ehtnic Dane". Take that for what you will.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Hard to know where all the anti Muslim sentiment comes from these days :rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Liberal_L33t posted:

I think that with a little creativity, law enforcement and the secular public in Europe can thread the needle of demonstrating a commitment to aggressively defeat Islamism in Europe while hampering the efforts of muslim apologists to play the victim card. Sting operations targeted at the "modesty patrols" that have cropped up in parts of Germany, Britain and other nations, followed by a police crackdown, would be a good start. This should be combined with a media campaign targeting European muslims with the message that any perceived efforts to impose or enforce Islamic mores in the public space will result in massive retaliation. When the aggressive, judgmental minority is clamped down on, the muslim population as a whole will benefit because the Christian, Jewish and secular population will be less suspicious of them. Don't try and spin this into me saying that all bigotry, racial and cultural prejudice by native Europeans would magically end - but without the shari'ah patrols and islamic courts in the news inflaming those tensions, it seems likely you would see less vandalism of mosques and the like.

My, what an industrious little architect you are. Somebody will find a use for you!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

How is Europe in any way a hostile climate to Jewish people when the largest Muslim population is in France at 10%, and less than 1% of terrorism acts in Europe in the past few years were committed by Muslims or Islam related, that doesn't really seem like cause to pick up and leave.

It's like moving into a underground bunker because a person in your state got struck by lightning.

This narrative of danger from anti-semitism is Zionist rhetoric, so it's not too surprising to see that sort of narrative propagate itself much like "rocket attacks" :supaburn: gets bandied about in America.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

Yeah, no. Copenhagen has four synagogues that I could find on Google. There are 8000 total Jews in Denmark. That's a 1 in 4 chance of "your" synagogue getting hit and 1% of all Jews in the country fired upon at that bar mitzvah.

Same for Brussels, Paris, etc. The total number of Jews isn't that large and there are a lot of anti-Semitic acts that don't get reported, just like when bigots do it to Muslims. It's not loving lightning strikes.

It's being framed as an existential threat, which it is not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

How many deadly terrorist acts committed by right wing white nationalists have taken place over the past 25 years? What are the casualties?

That's a good starting point because it lets us count the Gulf War, sanctions and the post-911 wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Millions dead.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That video was made to ape the "Ten hours walking as a woman in NYC" video and it pales in comparison.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yeah, dude only got spat on twice and nobody shouted that he had nice legs so what's with all the crybabying about being Jewish in a continent that made a concerted and coordinated effort to exterminate the entire people a mere 70 years ago? Ain't nothing compared to being a woman in America.

Correct, there didn't appear to be any reason for him to fear for his safety.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

If people I passed on the street were willing to spit on me I would sure as poo poo fear for my safety, and so would you.

The numbers don't seem to bear it out, especially compared to attacks on women (a comparison the video explicitly invites).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yeah fucken Jews getting spat on should shut up because The Patriarchy is worse.

You idiot. You recalcitrant child.

No matter how much worse it might be for any other group (and I'm certainly not about to deny that women encounter daily reasons to fear for their safety while walking around cities), anybody being spat on because they're exhibiting signs of belonging to an ethnoreligious group has every loving right to be upset about that. You are utterly determined to downplay the demonstrable fact that antisemitism presents a clear threat to the safety of anybody daring to be openly Jewish in parts of Europe today. gently caress you.

Where is even the evidence that he was spat on for being Jewish?

Oh and you certainly have denied and minimized women's experience by characterizing the copied video as a woman "getting told that she had nice legs" instead of being stalked and catcalled about 100 times.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Would you ever ask where is the evidence to suggest Deah Barakat, and Yusor and Razan Mohammed being Muslims had anything to do with their getting shot?

No. Nor should you.

Fuuuuuuuuuck you.

You're correct, I am more skeptical because of the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

dude, seriously, knock it off

The Daily Mail and New York Post are already running with it.

• Locked thread