Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Alex Ich is now a sub for Team8

Is this real life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Here's some bonus information about the NA Challenger scene for anyone who cares:

The challenger ladders just locked and the top 16 teams will play Bo3s to get in. There will be 4 brackets and the winner from each will get in. They will be joined by the 2 remaining teams from the expansion tourney, in this case Fusion and Final five.

Fusion dropped Gleeb and Maknoon and have gone with TranceTherapy, a challenger NA support, and Chunkyfresh, the team's sub, for support and top respectively.
My thoughts: While Maknoon was a massive carry when he was on the ball he had an abysmal Expansion finals vs Coast, same with Gleeb. Huhi and Nien could be developed into a solid pair of carries too, if the team can be coached out of choking. They recently did well against their challenger peers in the NESL tourney too and have a good chance of hitting 1st in NACS and auto-qualifying.

Final Five dropped the toxic Prototype Black as well as jungler ShorterACE (who had a meh series), and replaced them with Oceanic ADC Veritas from Avant Garde. Their Jungler has yet to be revealed.
My thoughts: Veritas, who looked good in the OCE tournaments, is a good upgrade from Prototype, both for play and PR reasons. The lack of a jungler in NA's shallow jungler pool will set them back though.They havent played much so it's hard to tell if they'll really do well.

Despite the dilution of the scene there's still interesting teams forming for the upcoming series, here's a few to watch.

-Roar; which is being coached by China expert Frostkurrin with Richard Mirkie. It features PhaseKiller(Korean challenger top and Heimerdinger expert), Inori (NA carry-style jungler from NME), Spicy (Aka Xaisu, Chinese midlaner from Energy Pacemaker Carries, an LSPL team), Chaox, and Yuno(female challenger support, was on Curse Academy).
My thoughts: I'm most interested in this team, they scouted well to get KR/CN players who could communicate well. Chaox is a big question mark, but if Frost and Mirkie can coach them well they have a chance to be solid.

-MSI Dragon Knights, a team featuring ex-CLG top Seraph, NA Jungler Kez(of Complexity),Korean challenger player Kyle(last seen on VTG in the OGN qualifiers), LouisXGeegee on AD and KonKwon on support.
Thoughts: They did well in the recent NESL tourney and Kez, Seraph and Kyle both have LAN experience and their solo laners stand up decently at this tier. Not expecting tons but they could challenge for top 3.

-Cloud 9 G2A, C9's new challenger team featuring Soloking at top, Hard on jungle, Yusui in mid, LOD on AD and Stixxay moving to Support.
My thoughts: LOD and Yusui were quite good on LOLPro, and Soloking has been a decent challenger top for some months. I don't know Hard and Stixxay, who was an ADC before, has to prove he's a good support. They will benefit from C9's coaching though as Charlie is heading the team.

There's also Alex Ich's rumored challenger team, Beast, but there's no indication about him playing yet. We Love Shakira, the challenger team that has the players he's rumored to be playing with, is ranked high enough to get into NACS qualifiers so he could join up with them. Alex becoming a T8 sub cements his presence in NA too.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

cena sucks

can i get a link to the jungle TF game?

Here you go

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

He's technically signed onto a challenger team called Brawl. I think he might have accepted the sub position to make getting his athlete's visa easier, what with T8 being an LCS team.

Yeah,, they just released more info about Brawl here too

e: GE vs Samsung sarting: https://www.lolesports.com

And Samsung forgets to ban Gnar, awkward

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 14, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I have no idea of what to make of Support Sejuani

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Samsung picked Azir and Reksai this game - they don't disappoint with the interesting picks!

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

MYM shouldn't have replaced so many members at once. Quickshot had to correct himself by calling these games "Controlled" instead of "stomps"

That's what they get for depending on a drama-magnet midlaner like Selfie/Kori

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
H2K are really suffering for their inability to clean up the teamfights.

e: What are you doing Ryu

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 22, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Richard Lewis is doing a discussion with an actual contract lawyer about Riot's recent rule/contract changes right now, it's a pretty interesting listen

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Massive credit to Fnatic's scouting so far and Yellowstar's captaincy, the team looks cohesive and dangerous like very few KR-import teams do.

Jerkface posted:

piratechnic or whoever is pretty good, i approve

I'm glad they picked Pira up, he was the best caster in LPLen and deserves the chance.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Mashed Potato posted:

Oh no... looks like Wickd is going for the confirmed shitter build of triforce first on gnar

Triforce first Gnar was done in OGN too, by Duke I think, but it didn't work.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Looks like Unicorns have some work to do if they're going to be a top team in EU. Not sure what was going on with PoE there - maybe tilt?

Froggen showing up there did work for Elements too.

e: A well deserved MVP for Yellowstar.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 23, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

:stare: Did they know that when she was being played in EU/LCK? Is that why they were playing her? That's really shady, I was wondering why they were suddenly playing Sivir again out of the blue after she's been out of the meta since mid Season 4. Is that a bug on live too or just on the tournament client?

Yeah, its on Live too

It wouldn't matter for OGN because they're on 4.21 (unless the bug was there too) . Honestly Sivir's resurgence has to do with other ADCs being nerfed more than anything and her usefulness in various team comps.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
ESEX wrote a piece about HTC and the NALCS

Badfinger posted:

Welp, this week confirms that the worst things about watching competitive league are still Phreak and Riv. I don't even know that I'm going to tune in to a single EU match without Joe and Deman. At least LPL has Pastrytime!

I'm hoping PIra will turn into a decent caster on the EU side. He's already tolerable and better than Riv.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

The only decent AD mid at the moment is Zed (though I guess they could try double ADC with Corki mid), but double AP is currently meta because it makes your ADC more valuable. Also Balls looked pretty drat good on Lissandra at IEM and Hai played a much, much better Ori there than he did this last weekend. Seriously go watch the C9 v. UOL or Alliance games from IEM and then C9 v. TSM or Gravity, it's insane how different they look, and it makes me believe that "we didn't get any good practice," probably because of the visa issues, is actually probably a big deal.

Did the Hyper Charge nerf push Jayce below competitive teir? Still seems like he does a pile of damage?

Bonus: New patch notes! I'm ready for speedy Tibbers in the LCS

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Hooray, CJ are back to their winning ways and Space actually got a win on Kalista!

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Game 1 of JAG vs SKT was really good! Hope the next one is as quality.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Another questionable p/b from SKT and some questionable Bengi play.

Still, JAG looks good and GBM is exciting to watch - that ballsy Ahri play was great!

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

steakmancer posted:

yep thats some bottom tier na poo poo right there

Still way better than Dig

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Mashed Potato posted:

jesus it's so loving awkward hearing the casters get all excited when team 8 go for the win after taking the inhib. They'd won the game as soon as they cleaned up the fight by dragon...

I cant blame them after the first game of the day, it's like a godsend after that one.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
He probably shouldn't have done that as its not going to help the situation.

But at the same time I think most people expected things to be better so its a frustration I can sympathize with. I mean in retrospect we can better see that adding Rekkles might not fix anything but don't think many people predicted this kind of listless play out of Elements (aside from Wickd's play, but that's business as usual)

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 3, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Yuno has now moved on to using the name Shiro, you all are behind.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I'll take a retrospective. I don't need bleeding edge analysis, just help understanding the theory. I could Google the stuff myself, but I want to read what goons are reading/writing.

League strategy is usually a responsive thing because of the changing nature of the game so it hasn't worked like other games where the rules are static and strategy gets more and more refined.

Still, there is a toolkit that has grown over time (especially since S4, where things got more serious). I'm not sure if theres anything comprehensive available but if theres a particular set of tactics you're interested I can whip something up.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I was following some people on twitter who were hinting at the poo poo going on with MYM/SHC and it seems like they're pretty hosed up. Things about the players not getting paid, mismanagement, and Selfie managing to get away with being a spoiled brat.

I don't think they'll do well with that kind of anti-chemisty

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
No idea as to the summoner Icons!

SKT vs Samsung right now - they're starting Faker! If they don't pick Xerath blind maybe they can win!

http://esports.garena.ph/newsArticle.php?contentid=00000604&cat=NEWS&subcat=LEAGUE%20OF%20LEGENDS also Garena fixed their mistake it seems.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
NoFE with the pink suit too

This is the best!

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Link's definitely looking better.

Though the real test is still how he performs in the playoffs when the pressure is on, but we'll just have to wait for that.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
The Morg/Sivir combo also shut down a lot of what annie/vi can do because of black shield/spell shield defenses.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Phreak is really tearing this Liquid team comp apart here, that was pretty brutal and straight forward.

They had a bad P/B and deserved the criticism

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

I've known for a bit that there was a shitstorm with Selfie - that he flew out to Vancouver to try to play with Roar (due to LS being there) before being threatened - but the whole extent of it is pretty insane. Richard Lewis hinted at it but didnt reveal it till now.

Still, pretty hosed up that this poo poo is still happening.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Speaking of junglers, Kelsey Moser wrote an insightful piece about how IWDominate's jungle career has been influenced by playing constantly with Voyboy and what he has to do now that Voy is gone.

Its always interesting seeing a player's career looked at from a new perspective like that.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
ESEX delivers again (MYM satire)

The picture and the closing paragraphs are strong work.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Aumanor posted:

To anyone who's watching CJ vs IM, what the hell happened in that bot lane TP gank? Rumble seemed to fire the Equalizer it went on cooldown but then it never seemed to land anywhere. He wasn't interrupted.

I watched it and it just seemed to dissappear! Weird

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Etrips posted:

Shot off the screen apparently? Oops.

Does the game let you do that (not something i've tried)? If so that's pretty fantastically bad of Shy.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
That quality 3rd Lulu ban from CJ :bravo:

e: Lux pick!

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 11, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Good earlygame from CJ put the game beyond throwing distance despite Space trying his best to give it away.

Still, that sloppiness was pretty cringeworthy.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
That was some grade A cheddar from Wisdom - worked nicely though.

And then he buys a sightstone and still tries to duel, not the best idea

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 11, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I feel like the MYM situation is such that its really hard for Riot to give a punishment that fits and feels fair and satisfying.

MYM has been lovely in other games and not the best to the older LoL team. But as for the org in LCS there's only this glaring fault on the table and while its gross, if the org pins it on the guy and there's no real trail elsewhere, what is there to do? It really does seem like the CEO knowsn but it cant be proven.

The conflict of interest between riot as the league owner that pays and riot as the adjudicator just makes it messy too. Not only that, but also that while Kori needs to be protected there's also the fact that he does have a LCS gig with MYM, lovely as it is. So there's a bind where if he goes he loses his chance. Hard to really work out.

I mean yeah, the fine could be bigger, but. I at least hope that Riot will be watching MYM closely after this and that at least amounts to something if it keeps the org from doing similar crap (or catches them early if they do it)..

What really needs to happen is more preventative and responsive infrastructure to handle these things and give players an out. But that will take work.

e: On further thought I think it would be most fitting for MYM to lose a bunch of sponsors. I don't know if it will happen but that feels like the kind of thing that sticks. Kind of like how when Fnatic was being cheating assholes in CSGO it was the sponsors threatening to pull that really changed their mind

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 12, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Sad to see Jin Air play so sloppily vs KT

NiceGameTV is going to be doing a Nemesis Mode between CJ and Najin on the 15th and put out this absolutely magical trailer for it

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Unexpected to see CW take the win vs Fnatic

As for Elements - Gambit's official twitter posted this gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
This game is already getting crazy

• Locked thread