Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I hope that remaster isn't a complete disaster (Though to be fair, after what we've gotten from Toei re: sailor moon, they could show a still image of Yugi for 200 episdoes and still be better) and someone subs it if only for completion (and that awesome ost)'s sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Watching the Dub of Duel Monsters again on Netflix has made me appreciate just how good Dan Green actually is (beyond him being basically anime BRIAIN BLESSED).

For a ham handed script that forbid the standard Murder/death/kill, you did get the impression of Yugi being like "oh gently caress I nearly just killed Kaiba over a card game of all things" after their second duel.

Hearing Goury / Brock threatening to, and I quote "Remove [Pegasus'] Soul from [his] body" in his own way is just weird, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Joey also beat Yugi after Battle City to get his Red-Eyes back. So he is scientifically proven to be the best duelist. :colbert:

Joey's a Krillin in a world of Gokus.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The One Piece Rap would have been part of the pantheon of Good 4Kids openings (Shaman King, Ultimate Muscle, Pokemon) if not for the fact that they did in fact dub "We are" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHO6DtFJ-Y) and, for all intents, everyone was sort of expecting that to open out the first episode of the 4kids dub and when we got the rap it sort of became the focal point for a lot of the (not at all undeserved, mind) anger towards the 4kids dub.

Not having Dan Green being the Narrator (as opposed to Eric Stewart) also sorta stings.

The 5D's opening sorta suffers the same thing because "Ride to Survive" is just that much better.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Kaiba blew up his island after he lost his tournament.

I think the implication was that he was always going to (Last bit of lingering thing tying KC with it's previous Gozoboro ran incarnation and all that) but the way things played out made it look like it was all Sour Grapes over Yugi.

Actually, now that I think about it, blowing up the island is the last bit of real viliny Kaiba gets up to.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 7, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Onmi posted:

Judai is loving awesome because of one thing, for the first two seasons his mentality is "It's a loving card game and we should all really just have fun." And he lives it, even when things get dramatic he tries to keep a light heart. And while he does get some dramatic moments he remains a genuinely goofy good hearted person trying to do right.

and then loving season 3 happens.

And, even better, that's where 4kids left the show.

So like it's two seasons of "yeah, don't get too uptight about this stuff" and then loving season 3 happens.

And then they leave it with Jaden for all intents loving dead and then we're off to go Cyberpunk with Domino blown to bits.

This franchise and it's localisation is 15 some years of things being utterly bonkers.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 9, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The better question is who cares about Zexel?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Nah, it's just that Jaden becomes a bit less nice to his friends because he gets a new super best friend forever that he kinda obviously likes more than his other friends and some people think that made him a bit of a jerk.
The small matter of him Allowing about 99% of them to be sacrificed for the maguffin of the arc played nothing towards that, I'm sure.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of Duel Monsters, the Remastered aired a few days ago and...yeah, I was kinda joking when I suggested they could not do much worse than Sailor Moon Crystal.

The long and short of it is that they've did the Funimation "Blow 4:3 video up to 16:9" gag and only made a "new" opening to hide the points where they coulnd't get away with blowing it up to 16:9 because someone's face would be cut off.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sounds like your standard uprezzing stuff, albeit a little worse than usual. I thought it wasn't really a new opening bar a shot or two.

Hence "New".

Hell, if all they did was rework the ATK/DEF/LIFE displays (do they have a name? Meh) to fit the new persepctive that'd be fine but I can't see how this won't look like a hot mess when they're out of shot like my previous example.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watching through the remastered ep1 of DM when I hit a note.

Kaiba's flunkies make mention that they picked up three of the four BEWDs but I was under the impression that he had them before the series started.

Course I could be trying to make Season Zero fit into DM Continuity again which is something I shoudln't realy do.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

Her actress moved to California so they had to get a replacement.

Speaking of, I got a good chuckle when she got herself "Killed" in the Virtual World thingy between Duelist Kingdom and Battle City because Megan Holisted voiced Lennith from Valkyrie Profile and when she dies in that it's practically the same effect.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I want to play the game without burning a bunch of cash on cards. What's the COA on that?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It was at least better than Joey v Marik because Reiji was basically playing for nothing since he made his own pendulum cards and at the end of the duel he was portrayed as the victor and a badass even though he technically didn't win, while in the former case Marik still gets treated as a better duelist than Joey and a near insurmountable challenge for the Pharaoh even though he by all accounts lost his last duel.

It's still a stupid plot point though. The protagonists losing every once in a while is a good thing, they don't need to get let off by technicalities.

I know this is another anime altogether but the way Ash punked out of the Indigo League still sorta stings after all these years.

If only for the fact that Team Rocket, who were about as actually threatening as a bag of kittens, essentially buggered up a major sporting competition.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly, though, we have our answer on Ash's skill with the Battle Frontier.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
ANd then went the opposite direction with Zexel

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, dumb question but does anything use the Card Code these days?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Watching the battle city arc on Netflix.

Huh, did some random kid get the role as that kid that slips the bum card into Joey's deck? Like off of a Make A Wish deal or something?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 19, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Ask Kaiba how that Heart of the Cards worked out for him when he did the first unselfish thing in years and tried to rescue Mokuba.

To be fair that's sort of asking like how Zenkai worked for Krillian after being killed by "Demons", Intergalatic Pirate Overlords, Eldrich Horrors and his Insane Brother In Law.

Besides (and this is only observed by omition) Kaiba seemed to be OK with Kaibaman being a thing in GX so maybe he mellowed out in his 20's

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's the difference between growing up and growing old.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Arc-V confirmed for worst dub ever.

Y-Yeah I can't complain about this one. This is a "Australian Pepper Pig" scenario if I ever saw one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

He was also executive producer for Jem and the Holograms and some of Transformers G1. And created DC Comics fan-favorite Lobo with help from Keith Giffen. Dude had a great legacy. :smith:

Guess he earned that "egyptian god" status, then.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just starting Arc-V now. I'm sad that Odd Eye's pendulm upgrade has apparently robbed him of his proton pack sound.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know, it's only hit me but Yuya's dad is totaly a Zeppeli lookalike.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wow is this series not letting up on it's main cast. Yuzu's loss in the LDS Invasion arc was rough. I was half way convinced that she was going to be shown only imagining that action card on the ground.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

I approve of Reiji channeling his inner Sun Tzu.

He took two of every animal and beat them into submission?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Quincytbb posted:

I think the whole different hair and body types are just for the benefit of the audience, and that they look identical to the characters in universe.

Oh, that'd make the most sense.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just saw the first Yuya / Reiji match, what the hell happened with Reiji's Pendulum's? Like did that have a logical reason for happening or did it just happen so Yuya wouldn't eat a serious loss so early?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So is there's any of the pre-tournament episodes I can skip in Arc-V? (Following the first Reiji duel)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Pass. If it's one thing I'm not a fan of it's "shivers"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Onmi posted:

I know Slur isn't going to like this but there's really no option BUT for it to be King Jack of the alternate timeline. Because if it was Jack Atlas A. He'd be older, B. He'd have Scar-Red Nova and C. He'd be end-game levels of OP.

I can live with YuGiOh: Decade

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is kind of weird though, we get Jack and Crow back but they aren't truly them. Should've seen it coming.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Arc V's dub opening has been sort of leaked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=27&v=EnIOywRx71A

Only the audio got leaked but someone just placed it over the German opening which came out forever ago. When is this thing even coming out, it must be just about ready, right?

What I saw on German TV was the Op was done in German and the ed version was done in English.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

alcharagia posted:

he must've activated draw muscle

Do I make reference to ultimate muscle?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This too is Decade's fault.

Though seriously, if the MCs are going to show up, it's going to be at the end and it's going to be a "Bring down the TARDIS" moment befitting of something that could (and this is completely wild speculation based on PT, Silent Hills, etc) very well be the last series of YuGiOh if Konami go complete bastard.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 21, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Zuzu is the stupidest loving name because it's a pun almost no kid will get, and everyone old enough to get it is probably just going to be mad you gave one of the most well-liked characters in the show a dumb rename for no good reason.

Also Gon is Elvis now because his hair kinda looks like the curl, and he has a white outfit? Just ignore the martial arts belt and the clogs.

I thought they were trying to avoid marking her as a main protagonist by way of the "Yu" in her name.

edit: wait a second, is that Ted Lewis as Yuya?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 25, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Dub VD so we're clear?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just started: Two Observations
1) I'm sort of hopelessly lost with the whole VR thing
2) That one girl who looked like Blair being offfed :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That twitch marathon is going to start soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Huh, I figured they were going in the direction of making Go's win making the whole Another problem worse by essentially making it a rallying cry for a bunch of scrub duellists to fight the KoH and end up comatose.