Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
His Resident Evil movie ones are amazing as he loves the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you can stomach some of the images, I rather enjoyed his Human Centipede 2 review.

His review of the first one is decent too without being as gross.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
She's said she will be covering Nights in some fashion eventually.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wasn't there a fan theory that the "real world" was part of a Matrix? That there were different levels of the Matrix and humans were given the illusion of freedom.

There was also a theory that the people in the matrix are actually the machines. Humans won the war and created the entire matrix world (including the "real" world) to keep the sentient AIs from rebelling again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Mostly it's because the guy the movie somewhat glorifies and paints as sympathetic was by many first person accounts an rear end in a top hat and possible sociopath who loved killing.

But he had a wife and family and was the victim of a random shooting after being discharged which is pretty awful.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spinning Robo posted:

There's a lot of people on that picture who aren't really on any side. Jontron for instance has said he's no gger, and i'm pretty sure 'twitter' isnt a part of them either

Jontron is an odd one as he has said some pretty dumb things that could definitely paint him as pro-GG, but he's definitely made efforts to not be sexist.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cubey posted:

BroTeam sounds like reddit personified, I have no real stake in their side at all.

He's a huge fan of reddit and plugs them a lot so...

Agreed that Joe didn't respond very well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Insurrectionist posted:

I gotta say I think Uptown Funk is one of Bruno Mars' worst songs.

I'm not really a huge fan of it either, but I'm not a fan of Bruno Mars in general.

I'll take Boom Clack over it any day.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is How We Do is almost as bad.

I'm not getting this trend of using rappers with extremely down-tuned background voices in pop songs. It just sounds terrible.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm most keen to see him cover "Our House" by Madness.

Not sure if that counts as a one hit wonder as they did nail two top 40 songs in the US and a bunch more in the UK.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Celery Face posted:

Steal My Sunshine by Len would be a great choice. I'm a little biased because they're from my country but they were an interesting band. Seeing Todd try to decipher the lyrics would be funny too. I really don't think anyone knows.

He's mentioned that one before when talking about how the late 90s pop music starting getting really upbeat after grunge faded. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he covers it in the future.

I was going to suggest Lit's My Own Worst Enemy but I think they had more than one hit song thanks to being on movie soundtracks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

But it's true, Brad is about the only one who is actually doing a character.

Diamanda Hagan has become far more frightening. ;)

I enjoy her videos but I think she'd be even funnier if she dropped the whole "villain" schtick. Her commentary is great and can stand on its own. From her non-Hagan stuff I get the impression she's a pretty decent person too.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying Movie Nights and have to agree with the opinions posted here that it's definitely at its best when you have a guest. The format just works a lot better with you having someone to play off of.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

I just hate that DC makes everything so grim dark. Not that the Marvel films are perfect or anything but at least kids can watch them and have those heros still. Kids don't really have a Batman or Superman these days unless they go back to the animated series for them.

Batman was always grim outside of the Adam West series, but grim Superman movies just do not work. Superman is an extremely positive character by definition.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hadn't heard that before...I was under the impression that the fans hated Demo Reel and the lack of new NC episodes was hurting the site's ad hits, so that led to him going back to it. I'm glad at least he wanted to do it?

Honestly I get the impression that none of them really liked Demo Reel after an episode or two. It was an experiment that just didn't click for the parties involved.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gianthogweed posted:

The Joel years were the best years.

Not sure if I can agree. Mike really had some classics too and I preferred his delivery.

(Not disparaging Joel at all. He was great in his way too, but Mike was still doing a lot of the writing.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've actually been with MST3k since the KTMA beginning. I just happened to live near the Minnesota border and got their satellite feed on C-SPAN.

The one episode of the show I cannot stand is Hamlet. It's just such a boring, lifeless rendition of that play that it's completely unenjoyable.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Miss Wallace posted:

May seem like an obvious choice for me but I also love Wurwilf.

Fixed that for you.

(It's a favourite too.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kalos posted:

I honestly appreciate everyone taking the time to do synopses, categorize things, and find their favorite recommendations but holy poo poo I could not watch a single one of these all the way to the end.

Phelous is just not for you then.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
[quote="Tae" post=""44329"]
You mean the show that arguably ended more grim than Evangelion?
[/quote]

The movie did. The show itself has a happy ending.

The creators tried for years to get a second series that would continue after the movie but it never happened.

To the point they consider the plot lines of the super robot wars crossover games as having canon Nadesico endings.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, I've not seen the movie. That's the one where Ruri is the main character, isn't it?

Yeah it is. It's somewhat enjoyable but ends on a very bittersweet note with most of the fun of the series sucked out of it as a whole.

It's also pretty confusing on first watch because there are a ton of events that occur between it and the series that are covered in a Japan-only videogame.

It's hard to really recommend.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 27, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cubey posted:

This interests me a lot more than her other videos have.

Yeah, I'm quite interested in what characters she picks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

I have a question, why is this game show rigged?

IIRC, Lupa stated why before. They had to reshoot it so many times and didn't change the questions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Z'don't :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

.hack//SIGN's biggest crime was boredom. And even then it made up for that with bitchin' music.

It also had amazing visuals for the time but yeah the plot was just plodding and didnt have much payoff.

I also partly blame it for the reprehensible poo poo that is Sword Art Online.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh hey, I'm curious about armor now. Was I right about my previous assumption how it's meant to be bulky as hell or are there any real-world applications to form-fitting armor? Independent to the Zero Suit of course.

A lot of it depends on the material, but completely form-fitting armor seems like a really bad idea from a physics perspective (if its too close to your skin, the force of an impact can do a good amount of harm even if the projectile doesn't break through.) Tight-fitting armor is also actually going to be very difficult to move in if it provides any decent protection.

Bulky armor has its own caveats of course, like mobility. If you're armoured up like a walking tank you're going to move like one. The most used armors are stuff like kevlar vests since they're a middle ground between the extremes, offering decent protection while allowing a good range of movement.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Regardless if armor is made to be worn by human beings, generally speaking it is not going to make them unable to move quickly because that would be stupid and probably get them killed.

The big exception I was really discussing was stuff like bomb blast suits (and I suppose bear/dog armor as they follow similar principles) that are quite cumbersome and harder to move in because they're designed around taking a heavy impact over fast movement. They're basically an extreme version of full-body hockey goalie pads.

Though, looking at the newer models of bear suit, they don't seem that awkward anymore:

(Hell, I could see a fairly realistic Samus "zero suit" design taking cues from that.)

EDIT: I can see SOME justification for Samus having some sort of extra protection layer under her bigger (more combersome) power armor in case the latter fails but the zero suit is just silly fanservice especially with those dumb heels they added to it in Smash Brothers.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 4, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

But that's still heavy armor-and if you're talking about a 'Zero Suit' which is heavy armor, why even have one? Why not just have samus in her powersuit all the time? Works fine for most of her games.

Well, I meant more if they want to have sections where you lose the armor powerups you could use something styled closer to that rather than the fanservice suit. It makes far more sense for Samus to be wearing something like that (sans helmet when in the armor) underneath than the zero suit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

i think what you are trying to want is something like her armor in fusion. which she was more mobile in then the normal power armor.

Yeah, that's a good example.

Of course, the thing is powered by space magic so they can make her armor look however they want to, essentially.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It makes Samus go from "badass bounty hunter with the most badass gear around" to "Samus is literally a magical girl" which ruins so much of her character.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Jay and Mike continue their adventures in the fart-powered airship with It Follows and Furious 7

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One thing I kind of respect Hasselhoff for is that he definitely stopped taking himself too seriously.

He obviously started his music "career" just for fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jay O posted:

I get what you're saying, but that's still not the level of national celebrity I'm talking about. Many Japanese voice actors release albums, hock product, go on talk shows, model for magazines, etc. Not all of them, but many, and that's the ideal for young folks going into the business. There are schools and college majors specifically for voice acting, like not even "acting," voice acting, and it's insanely competitive. Completely apples and oranges with how it works in America.

Well, part of the reason it's that way is the actual pay rates for voice acting in Japan are pretty abysmal (and completely union dictated.) The smart VAs find other ways to make money without taking on a second real job because that's extremely frowned upon culturally. Also, most of what they do is completely marketed at teens more than adults since anime's purely seen as a kid/teen thing to the majority. The whole thing is kind of comparable to Hollywood in that 90% of the people trying to enter it fail, but at the same time it's not AS good for those who get ahead either.

We also need to remember that audio/radio dramas are still extremely popular over there as well as theater and those productions will put more emphasis on the actors involved than videogames or cartoons.

EDIT: \/ JYB will always be the black power ranger to me

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 18, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

Working for The Escapist is like working for Fox News. I can't imagine this is a good career choice.

Except that Fox News brings in tons of money and most reports say The Escapist is a rapidly sinking ship.

I.e: Fox News is a better place to work (if you don't mind selling your soul)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Beefstew posted:

Hey, Lupa, is Phelous going to do a video showcasing his thoughts on Mortal Kombat X?

Phelous hasn't put out much recently, come to think of it. He's probably doing effects and/or editing work.

His thoughts on MKX would be interesting as man that game is true to its legacy for better or worse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
American liberal extemists tend to be extreme in things like the environment, health and social issues.

Conservative extremists want to deny rights to certain groups, bomb abortion clinics and murder doctors to "save lIves."

(These are caricatures and do not represent the majority of either group. Just how they tend to be portrayed.)

One comes across as ridiculously hypocritical and overall mostly harmless. The other comes across as scary.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PresidentBeard posted:

That's how the caricatures seem but the former still leads to stupid harmful things like California falling behind Iowa and fricking Texas in renewable energy.

edit: American liberals almost always have good goals but ridiculously stupid and inefficient ways to get there.

Yeah, they're also really easy to paint as hypocrites in a lot of cases.

My point was that those issues are easier comedy targets than a lot of extremist conservatism's items of note.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hard to Say I'm Sorry by Chicago.

Could be worse I suppose.

Fake edit: Eye of the Tiger was the UK top that day

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Bruce Hornsby & the Range - The Way It Is was number 1 on the Canadian charts when I was born.

It's still one of my favourites (the original, but Tupac's cover is good too.)

Dammit on the Canadian charts I was a week away from New World Man by Rush (got Abracadabra by Steve Miller)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Both are part of an amazing bundle for the next day or so:
http://www.gog.com/promo/may_the_4th_star_wars_blaster_bundle_280415

EDIT: \/ the way they handled the "I am your father" scene is amazing.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
According to Whedon, the Ant Man film is using most of Wright's script. Shame he isn't directing as Wright's so great with the charming small touches.

• Locked thread