Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jimbot posted:

Only thing I disagree with in the Plinkett review is that all the characters in the original film get good development. Winston, I found, got shafted something fierce. They hire him and he is kind of just... there. They give him a few good lines but compared to the other three he's just a fourth uniform in the background. When I read of the diminished role of him and how Ernie Hudson was kind of bummed that the character changed so much from the script, you really notice when you watch the film.
IIRC Eddie Murphy was the original choice for Ghostbusters but had a schedule conflict or it didn't work out, so I'm guessing they had to change it from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not sure why Paul Feig was even there when it's clear from the commentaries and the on-set footage that he was just letting the actors do whatever they wanted. As the review points out near the end, he's like a grade school teacher just standing around and laughing at how the kids have taken over the production. From what I can tell he was not doing anything close to what is traditionally considered directing. He might as well have just been the cinematographer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KayTee posted:

Is he still doing them? I used to watch him habitually up until his movie came out and I haven't really followed him since...
The last I checked he was putting them at the end of videos.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Has he lost a lot of subscribers since all of this happened? I know i unfollowed him, which was no big loss anyway because his video output even before it turned out he was a Nazi was not good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It was not in my class, but i remember other people I knew in Middle School having to read Atlas Shrugged

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like we are going to start hearing many, many more stories like this one.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/917921899170148353

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOSUWFgLWGU

EA kills Visceral Games, and Jim loving Sterling Son called it two years ago.
It also sounds like they have killed whatever this single player Star Wars game Amy Hennig has been working on for 3 years. Knowing how the industry is moving, it's probably being turned into some kind of multiplayer MMOish game where they can make a killing on loot boxes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

EA's statement on the matter strongly implied (to the point of really just being barely veiled admittance) exactly that.
Yes those press releases were not subtle at all as long as you know how to decipher corporate lawyer-speak

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Super Bowl appearance may have been the worst live music I have ever heard. It was embarrassing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rights with videos are pretty weird. Like when Spill shut down, Hollywood.com wouldn’t let the former Spill people buy the rights even thought they weren’t using them. Most of their videos are probably lost that others didn’t rehost.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Best of the Worst Halloween Special- in which bad movies and alcohol finally break Mike's brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QJazEHMUo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

IGN determined that if you wanted all of the items in Battlefront 2 it would take you 6 months. That’s insane and clearly done on purpose to steer people towards lovely loot boxes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Lootboxes are fine as a optional extra in free to play games, but shouldn't be in full price games. Have what you can buy with ingame currency clearly marked and labelled, and offer them for mircotransactions if you must have them for players who want to use them. The random element just doesn't work outside of a free to play model.
Correct. Putting them in $60+ games is just pure greed. It also pretty much kills the balance in online.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They turned off microtransactions 'temporarily'

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/17/ea-takes-star-wars-battlefront-ii-microtransactions-offline

If customers complain loudly enough they will stop this poo poo, we saw it some years back when there was a lot of pushback over the 'Online Pass' garbage, which EA also pioneered

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It made me laugh that Mike was not very happy with Thor: Ragnarok (mainly because he had a bad theater experience), but was fine with Justice League because it was bad enough to be entertaining. If nothing else I can rarely, if ever, figure out where he's going to fall on a film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

His dead mall videos are great. He was just down here in FL for a month filming our dead gay malls so I’m looking forward to those eventual videos

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It is pretty amazing that nobody actually involved in this game has any idea what it's even about. Although at this point I'm not sure if they have actually worked on the game proper that much. I feel like we have like 5 more years of seeing these trailers before we see gameplay, knowing how Kojima is with deadlines.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

She must have, I was following her and now I do not see her listed under my followed accounts

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I did confirm it. I'm not denying the fact that it happened, I'm just expressing my dismay at that fact.
She must have done it without warning, because I swear she was on there this week

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leal posted:

Maybe to get back in good graces Disney should release an actually good Star Wars game. You know, not a FPS that is exclusive to a company whose cash cow IS an FPS and thus they are in direct competition.
Disney basically stopped making games themselves a few years ago, and shut down the companies that they had in-house. Instead they are farming the IPs to other companies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sales dropped off a cliff into the bargain bin after a couple of weeks, which only means everyone knew it was done.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is not only badly made but badly written as well. It outright lies to the player about its initial premises, and you can poke major holes in almost any plot point by thinking about them for two seconds.

You are going to explore new worlds!
You are playing catch-up to two years of prior colonization.

Only the Pathfinders can find habitable worlds!
Aside from the exiled mutiners, who found a tolerable one. The actual colonists tried to settle on a radioactive desert wasteland and failed. Twice.

Also the basic premise of the Pathfinder is to be the eyes and ears of an AI evaluating unknown planet conditions. You know, the job a cheap probe could do from orbit in ME2&3.
Also there are only really the two alien species that are new, the rest are just the species from the first three Mass Effect games

It's more embarrassing that they ended up with the product they did, considering it had like 5 years of development.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

If Kotaku is to be believed, 3 of those years were spent trying to make procedurally generated planets like in No Man's Sky
Right, which all got thrown out for a couple of planets that you can actually go on, and keep going back to repeatedly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

New Butt Order posted:

The continued popularity and success of Taylor Swift is one of those things that make me quietly wonder if I've been deposited here from a very similar parallel dimension. Her singles didn't get worse, they're just equally bad in new and innovative ways.
Honestly it seems to me like you just have to be popular to be financially successful in pop music at this point, the actual product is not that important. I don't think this is new either, there are just a few pop stars like Swift and Beyonce who can sell music sight-unseen because of their personas.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m surprised Linkara only left now.

But as it has been brought up in the thread, CA is pointless in an era where internet critics can no longer survive on ad revenue alone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PASS THE MASH posted:

If they actually want an anniversary anybody will care about they have to fire Michaud and make amends with everyone they’ve pissed off. So nobody will care.
Isn't Michaud one of the owners of the site? I don't think it's that simple.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm so glad that Twitter has protected us from Kyle's extremely offensive tweets.

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/980465664296091648

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sarcopenia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7oCYQ00hBM
Haha holy poo poo yes Phelous!

I reported a profile for impersonating someone who literally said that they were David Hogg in their description and used his face as their profile picture. Twitter didn't ban them. I've noticed that reporting anything that is obvious harassment of the school shooting victims doesn't get any reaction. Sooo what the gently caress with this.
This is a company that had to come up with ridiculous excuses as to why Trump could be allowed to violate the site’s Terms of Service and not get banned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Even with its bugs, New Vegas is still my favorite Fallout game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I'm just amused at using Mad Max as an example. The game is fine, but like, really by the numbers open world exploration that's got too much of a grind, as well as being nothing at all like the Bethesda games it supposedly clowns.
Yeah it’s ok, but very repetitive

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The town building thing was so half-assed, they should have left it out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think I had read that certain options were cut out of FO4, like making peace with all factions? Because as it is in FO4, you have to piss someone off to finish the story, whether it is the Institute, Brotherhood, Minutemen, or Railroad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I don't think Fallout 3 is a bad game? Sorry. Same for Skyrim. They exist to be explored and if you enjoy exploring them, they have succeeded at their entire reason for being. Neither is close to perfect, and I can think of a lot of ways I'd improve them, but they delivered everything I wanted in an RPG. Namely roleplaying in a cool fictional world.

And I just want to sate that I think New Vegas is a better game than 3 in a lot of ways. But there's something about the Capital Wasteland - the environmental storytelling in it, the constant random encounters, etc. - that made me love it to this day. In New Vegas you just stroll on down the road to New Vegas and everything is mostly fine. In 3, you make a wrong turn and wind up in an Enclave camp with a Deathclaw and then also a Giant Radscorpion wanders into the fray. That was literally my first ever encounter with a Deathclaw. It's a cherished gaming memory for me and NV has nothing really like it. (I mostly remember story stuff for NV)
In NV you can easily walk into an area near the starting town where you can quickly get murdered by wildlife.

I enjoyed all three games, but I would put FO3 last because of the weak main story, bad ending that had to be corrected by DLC, and fewer interesting environments.

I would also say that FO4 has the weakest DLC of the three. Far Harbor was the best to me, but Automatron was eh and Nuka World was alright but not amazing. Compare those to what they did with NV (particularly Old World Blues) and 3 (all of them except Anchorage), and it’s disappointing. Instead of extra story stuff they focused on those extra armor/building packs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve been pretty disappointed in the lack of response from Brad during this whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think it was already known that the crossovers were a bad deal for whoever was doing it with Doug since he got to keep the money and control of the scripts

• Locked thread