Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

e X posted:

PvP is dumb as it is in pen and paper, but attacking an another character basically immediately after character creation over dumb in-game poo poo is even dumber. Is there more to L5R, or is it just Weeaboo the Game?

L5R's setting is essentially 'Game of Thrones, with Samurai' and the RPG actively encourages/rewards players who join in with all the politics that entails, making PvP in general a really Horrible Idea.
It's a pretty cool little franchise overall and the fan-base seems to actively repel Weeaboos from my personal experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Dittoing that Baywatching is making me want to watch Baywatch unironicly more and more. I don't think it really got shown over here in the UK and so we only have references to it in other shows to base our perceptions of it on, which all point to "Sexy people running in slow motion" than "Utter batshit insanity".

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The idea that someone can only learn that killing is bad after murdering someone is loving ridiculous.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
A while back there was a really great video about the relationship between internet personalities and the audience that I think was posted in the last iteration of this thread, but for the life of me I can't find it. Would anyone know who made it, or have a link to it?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

That's the one, thank you so much.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

echopapa posted:

And thanks for calling it “really great”!

Really mean it, it's really helped save my bacon wrt this essay I'm writing. Helped explain Parasocial Interaction far better than these textbooks are.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I really dig Rap Critic, dude knows his stuff and even when he's being negative he takes the time to explain and explore his position in an informative and entertaining way. That breakdown of how terrible Flatline is was amazing.

Mues on the other hand is hot garbage, dude has a terminal case of Internet Reviewer-itis and seems like a genuinely unpleasant dude from his videos.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I watched TB back when he started covering WoW: Cataclysm, which was the catalsyt for dragging me kicking and screaming back into Blizzard's hands.

I always thought his attitude was just a gimmick like Yahtzee, but after that drama where he swore off Blizzard games 4 EVA over... Blizzard making older content a mite bit easier for the 99% of people who aren't world first raiders I just clocked out on him.
His attitude through the entire thing was peak TB smugness and was super off putting, finding out he'd been carried through the content he was apparently so vehemently against being nerfed and him jumping on the SC2 commentry bandwagon were just icing on the cake.

And tbh, I can live in a world where every video doesn't start with 20mins of jerking off in the options.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Safe bet's on South Park. I heard a lot of idiots parroting Cartman's cartoonishly absurd anti-semitism growing up, doubtless not all of them grew out of it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I tried to watch one of Mother's Basement's most recent videos and every 5 minutes he kept digressing to shill for a really lovely looking Naruto flash game thing.

I know you've gotta get paid, but jfc it was painful.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I think that was just a bit he did for HBomb's video.

Probably explain the long production time Hbomb was apologising for.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I really can't wait to see future livestreams these guys do, if what Lindsey was talking about comes true. Topics like the one discussed never really get brought up... anywhere, and it was incredibly entertaining to listen to.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Speaking of cool things to watch to distract from the crushing depression of this nightmare future, Kyle's released a new video about what looks to be an amazing trainwreck of a film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5qGs7vQs20

Super interested to see where he's going with this kinda sorta series looking at Kabbalah.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
A friend of mine linked some "Top 10 Cringy DSP Moments 2016" video a little while ago and I was struck at just how petty and indignant it was. Amongst actually embarrassing stuff (the bizarre Staycation he did with his gf and the jerking off on stream incident), most of the entries were really just Phil saying a dumb thing, yet the video and the comments were making them out to be THE WORST THING EVER SAID, especially when it was DSP saying he didn't like a certain game.

The bizarre moralising and indiginity reminded me so much of how creepos on the CWCiki used to talk about Chris-Chan. Trying to justify their searing, obsessive hatred of someone really not worth the effort of bothering with under a guise of moral righteousness.

It was almost like they were... signalling just how more... virtuous they were.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Senerio posted:

Written by Matt Ward.

C.S. Goto, surely.

Puppy Time posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's possible to occasionally discuss a person being weird and/or a dick without having an obsession with them.

Just compare Slowbeef's occasional mockery of DSP to the KojimaWorldOrder style stuff others make. The difference is blindingly stark.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Beefstew posted:

So when are people gonna come out of the woodwork and say those actually aren't Anita's points but her stupid boyfriend's instead?

John Macintosh left FF months ago to start his own thing.

I only learned that when Lefty Twitter spent a couple of weeks obsessively dunking on him for some weird reason.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Baka-nin posted:

Huh, I keep seeing that blank face wearing a black cap thumbnail in my recommends all the time. I guess I'll give this a watch and see where it goes. The last time I saw a guy "review the reviewers" though wasn't pretty. Quite bitter and I think the guy went up to Spoony's house when he was still in the middle of his breakdown.* Just noticed that Australian fellow, in the footage, what did he do on the site again?

* Well that's just from memory, can't even recall the guys name, just a choppy guy with a beard.

That Aussie Guy? From what I remember he was a early hire on TGWTG and his content wasn't... great, at all. After the first anniversary event, a couple of other producers mentioned he was kinda a pushy dickhead, then something happened and he was fired. I can't recall if whatever it was ever went public, but the dude went on a LordKat style "Obsessively bitch about TGWTG, try to occasionally harass producers" thing before just dropping off the face of the earth.

Also, what was the name of the first guy who tried that Reviewing the Reviewers shtick? I remember he was a major trainwreck with a chip off his shoulder as well.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah...Nintendo ending the NES Classic is probably the first time I ever truly went "What the gently caress Nintendo". What other company does that kind of thing?

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo tried to pull some Capcom-style shooting themselves in the foot. From the sounds of things their upper-management suffers from the same demographic problems.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Good video, agreed on the episode using it's time well. imo, a lot of Nu-Who has a chronic problem with underexploring points that should be explored, while spending too much time on stuff that either turns out to be red herrings or just not interesting at all. This was a welcome change of pace.

Also, the tide of fuccbois crying at Dr Who even mentioning the idea that history might be the slightest bit whitewashed was incredible. :allears:

Yardbomb posted:

If everything else people have said didn't give you enough reason to not give Mister Metokur a benefit of the doubt, he is in fact one of the current breed of meltybrained /pol/ shitheels, "Abloo bloo feminism, I'm RATIONAL" and all that. I wouldn't be surprised at how low they'll likely go when it starts coming to any women or ~essjewz~ aligned guys.

It's a shame the only people who seem to be making these kinda videos are complete shitlords, it'd be kinda interesting to watch a retrospective on the entire TGWTG/ Internet Reviewer thing. Y'know, provided it doesn't dive into a good old round of THE SJWS RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Terrible Opinions posted:

Providing a less than minimum wage existence to a mentally disturbed individual. Somehow people are bitter about this.

edit: we sure got a bunch of people who seem upset about welfare queens in here.

Kinda strikes me as the same kinda logic the Chris-Chan stalker types used quite a bit to try and justify harassing them. People will latch onto any justification to poo poo on someone, no matter how "deserving" they are of it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Man, this just felt like 20 mins of "Souls was good UNTIL THE loving CASUALS RUINED IT". Demon's Souls was good, but goddamn a lot of the mechanics were awkward and ill-explained, even for Souls.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
DS3 definitely feels the safest of the Souls games, seemingly out of a bad reaction fans had to the experimental stuff in DS2. Still a good game when compared to others, but a weak game compared to the other Souls titles.

Bloodborne still the best by virtue of them shaking up the Souls formula so vigorously. I don't get the bitterness Matthew seems to exhibit for it in that video, he seems really dismissive of the more aggressive playstyle and smaller, but more tightly designed weapon sets.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Also him and Shoe still pretty happily pal around with the super toxic types like Blair White, Sargon et al.

The problem is while they don't actively take part in the worst parts of the anti-sjw circlejerk, they don't exactly condemn it either and come off enabling/endorsing said shittiness through silence. Natural to see why the rationalisation of 'they're the most reasonable' is a little hard to swallow.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Holland has potential, but it'll all come down to the writing. There were a couple of Spidey lines in Civil War that came off as a little stilted and awkward and it felt more the script's fault than the acting.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
We have a lovely rear end in a top hat Youtuber thread in D&D already, we don't need to turn this one into another of those tbh.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Darth Walrus posted:

"Cultural appropriation", as I understand it, is using another culture as artistic raw materials without giving the original creators the proper respect and credit. I've mostly seen it contrasted with 'cultural exchange', where that level of respect exists. Given that it's a pejorative, I'm not sure that there can, be definition, be 'good' appropriation - indeed, most of the stuff I've seen saying 'no use of stuff from anyone else's culture ever' seems to come from racists trying to muddy the waters and discredit a useful term.

The analogies I like to use for this topic are War Bonnets for Appropriation and Tikka Masala for Cultural Exchange. It really comes down to "Ask a person of that culture if it's okay to use/modify *thing* and don't act like a gross tourist about it/try to claim it as your own."

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

:eyepop:

Anyway yeah, no matter what you think about Linkara's content, the dude's got a steady work-ethic and just seems super chill. That nerds get super mad at him is hilarious.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I can't wait to watch Linkara manifest his autism into the material plane for two hours

gently caress off with that poo poo.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DrVenkman posted:

TotalBiscuit had a Twitter meltdown about HELLBLADE and how the permadeath system is 'Anti consumer', all without having played the game.

TB screams and pisses his pants over something he doesn't have a clue about, film at 11.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Annointed posted:

Just a guy who supported and continues to give aid to people who are literally american nazis.

All because some people said "Hey, these videogames aren't perfect", but in a badwrong way.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

You know what?

gently caress all white straight nerds!

This but unironically.

Also stop posting, go outside.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Arcsquad12 posted:

You're thinking of Storm of Chaos Warhammer fantasy. The event was a global campaign where games workshop wrote the story to correspond with victories mailed in by players. Was supposed to be a major Chaos invasion by Archaeon the Everchosen, except that the chaos players got soundly defeated. Games workshop decided to even the odds by assuming orc players would side with chaos, but orc players are like orcs, so they said screw it, organized themselves online and started stacking victories against chaos. So with the whole campaign being a dud Games workshop said screw it, teleported Archaeon to Altdorf to have a final battle with the empire... only for Grimgor Ironhide the orc warlord to come and sucker punch Archaeon before he could strike a killing blow. The orcs then declared themselves the victors for this dick punch and then ran off laughing.

Something similar happened in the 40k Eye of terror global campaign where the ork players organized online and launched an unofficial Green Kroosade which mopped the floor with Space Marine and Chaos players.

Sucker 'eadbutt! :eng101:

Grimgor wuz da best :911:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wait wait wait hold up

are you telling me that games played by fans actually have an impact on the greater narrative of the setting?

Kinda sorta, depended on the campaign.

A lot of the time GW would just shrug and hash out "Oh the evil guys won but the good guys held on and everything's back to status quo" which naturally pissed people off, so instead they started going for smaller scale campaign settings (Medusa V, Nemesis Crown) that people were indifferent about and just dropped the entire thing for a few years.

Recently they brought the concept back with last Summer's 'Season of War' and the literally just ended 'Fate of Konor'. Both times the good guys won, but GW seems to keeping good with keeping the full results in mind as they write the updated narrative (i.e for Season of War, good guys won with Chaos a very close second, so the good guys have established 3 new strongholds and pushed Chaos back in that particular realm, but said cities are full of cults and poo poo's about to go down again).

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Disney, via Maker, offered a renovated website but didn't deliver. The brand is still there but it's kinda been left untouched for over a year now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There's a lot of tankie types out there whose politics haven't evolved past "MERIKA BAD" no matter what label they've given themselves. As a result they'll happily slobber all over Assad, Putin and North Korea because hey! At least their imperialism and atrocities aren't America's imperialism and atrocities.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Didn't see this posted up, but here's that video Marzgirl promised explaining why she called quits on CA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FawsXsKc6K4

Spoilers CA's management are a bunch of loving dipshits, it's almost like there's a theme to everyone fleeing the site.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

KayTee posted:

Hmm. I like this interviewer guy. He has a good voice, he is asking direct and relevant questions. Let's see what else he has done...

*Clicks on video titled "'Gamergate is never going away' - ExtraMana Response"*

Oh.

Oh no.

Ohhhhhh ):

The article in question is a rather overblown, pearl-clutching piece trying to connect 12-year old idiots and their adult equivalents making overblown statements (i.e: "You should kill yourself") on that Cuphead video thing to Gamergate. While I agree that calls for suicide are terrible - the article itself is a bit :rolleyes:.

In the video ExtraMana outs himself as a (de Facto) supporter of Gamergate, or at least the 'No really it was always about Ethics in game journalism, the Quinspiracy is verifiable fact, guys" variety. He even tries to state that the term 'Alt Right' only started appearing during the Trump campaign.

For clarification: I am not suggesting that MarzGurl is forever tainted via association with an individual I no longer wish to provide with clicks. The video above was posted 3 weeks ago, is one of only a handful of videos on his YouTube channel, several of which are other former CA producers.

Yust providing a suggestion that you skim over future ExtraMana content.

*sigh*

Oh, ohhh, oh noooo.

I just saw this one vid on Lupa's Tumblr and didn't bother to watch anything after that.

Christ, Goobergaters will never just loving leave.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Skeptic isn't quite on Sargon or Bearing's level of sheer Bad but he's still pretty lovely. If anything he's even more frustrating, him and Shoe teeter on the edge of self-reflection and realising they're spouting terrible poo poo but then roll back into the quagmire every time.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
But you see he's saying it ironically and *chokes on vomit*.

It's literally the same poo poo the Pepes pull but oh it's okay because he called out a guy who screamed the n-word. See also; nominally leftist people throwing words like retarded, autist and a whole slew of queer slurs around then getting pissy when people call them out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Even the Milkshake Duck guy ended up Milkshake Duck'ing himself, it's hard not to be skeptical.

• Locked thread