Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Only had enough time to get through the tutorial during my lunch break but I'm looking forward to more, boy howdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zaphod42 posted:

Abilities are all active, but the traits you pick up from stress can give you passive modifiers in combat, and I think trinkets can as well.

My Crusader has killed so many 'humanoids' that he now has the "manslayer" trait and does like +20% damage to humanoids, for instance.

Baller.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So if I don't have an opportunity to camp, is my only source of healing food? Because I rather naively ate all my food before I got a hunger event, not realizing that those would happen even if I'd been stuffing their faces literally moments before to keep their health up, and suddenly everyone was at death's door from hunger. :rolleyes:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Shlapintogan posted:

Double post but there's a new build out now. Fixes some save bugs, Sanitarium quirk stacking, and other various crashes.

My game on Steam says "update queued." Is there something I need to do to actually apply said update?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Innerguard posted:

Give me a good death!

This is going to be a good game for X-com style LPs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What is the button for retreating a fight or leaving the dungeon? Because the first time I hosed up badly enough for the tutorial to try and tell me, I was too stressed to read it and just closed the screen to focus on the fight. I lost everyone.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My Leper has Godfearing and Witness. The first means he'll only use Prayer to reduce Stress, the other...stops him from using Prayer.

I guess it's time for the Sanitarium!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Holy cow those slime monsters are the most annoying mother fuckers. Three fights of nothing but, and the last one killed my plague doctor while I was trying to get to a room that turned out to have nothing in it. :(

edit: What consequences are there for fleeing a fight? Stress from defeat? Or do you lose stuff you've collected? Chance of failure that can get you killed?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 1, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The Adventurer perks that reduce stress damage are amazing at keeping things under control. Anyone I've taken on a dive who hasn't had one of those for the area in question has been crazy by the halfway mark, but those with them are usually in complete control throughout.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wish there was more reasoning behind when your party decides to get hungry. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes I can clear an entire (short) dungeon without a single hunger attack, and other times they seem to get hungry every time they step into a new hallway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It also looks to me like Occultists pair with Bounty Hunters well, because the former can use an ability to mark a target, while the latter has a move that does double damage to marked targets. Bounty Hunters also seem to have a naturally good crit chance--or maybe mine's just great that way, because while his crowd control abilities can be hit or miss, if he starts chopping, heads roll.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

MotU posted:

Yeah I just thought it would progress something like 1-2 -> 2-2 -> 2-3 or something similar.

Good news! That's how it works now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

The Crusader's Holy Lance seems really good for that. Has anyone tried running two of them, so they can both use their Holy Lances continuously?

Solomonic posted:

yes and it owns

I used two against the Necromancer Apprentice and once he was in the back row he was just getting clowned.

So far my most effective team--not most exciting but the best at long term sustained engagements--seems to be a Vestal in the very back followed by a bounty hunter and a Hellion in the very front, with the last slot being open for something else, probably a crusader or another bounty hunter. All of them can stun reliably, and if they can lock a whole squad of baddies down they can spam heals without having ot worry about losing the game of attrition.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 2, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

My vestal had a night on the town and lost the trinket I just bought her for 6k gold :stonk:

I had a question about characters going off on a lark: When they leave, they aren't greyed out of the roster, they're straight gone from the roster. If you fill your roster with new recruits in their absence and they come back, do you get them back no matter what, potentially putting you above your roster cut off, or do they not come back until you have an opening, or do they not come back?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Firstborn posted:

Do you get to create your characters, or do you always have the Crusader and Thief guy?

Those are always your first two. They come with fixed skills. Your second two are always a Vestal and a Plague Doctor, but their moves are randomized, sort of easing you into how the game always hands you fresh recruits with random skills. After that it's about finding the right recruits you want to keep and grooming them while either padding parties with fodder or dismissing guys who are hopelessly insane.

Firstborn posted:

\/\/\/\/ Can you rename your guys?

Yes, and at some point the ability to change the colors is supposed to happen too.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 2, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

S.J. posted:

Anyone else been seeing an issue with recruiting? After you recruit someone, people in line underneath them 'fall' up in the line but their graphic doesn't move, so you have to rclick where they were to view their information rather than where they are currently, and can cause you to recruit the wrong people as well.

Yeah, I had that. Confused the hell out of me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Can I just say that

quote:

Bark Stress tuning - severity, frequency reduced

is going to be really nice. I've found that my biggest problem with stress is that when one character ends up getting an affliction they just never shut up, and every time they bark, which can be as much as twice a round in some cases, they stress everyone else until they blow up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

LizardBeam posted:

Yeah, the medicinal herbs are basically for cleansing gross stuff. Stuff I've found it works on so far (spoilered for people who want to try poo poo out): Carcasses in the Weald, giving a poo poo ton of food, Meatwagons in the Warrens, also giving food, and in the ruins the alchemy tables, guaranteeing success and maidens, which makes them drop loot. You can also use shovels on graves found in the weald to avoid disease.

That's what I've found for the herbs so far. It's pretty neat.

So how do I use herbs? When I click on something like carcass, it doesn't give me an option to use herbs like it does a shovel on a blockage. Am I supposed to use them in the inventory before I click the carcass?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

TheNabster posted:

I've been using the Graverobber and, honestly she doesn't seem that bad.

I put her in my 3rd rank and just rain down high crit chance Knives on people, snipe people in the back rows with knives to the face.

But I guess that is just me.

My first grave robber was kind of a load that I only brought along when I absolutely needed a fourth body, but after she died I got a replacement whose skill set seems to just click much better.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Argh. My bounty hunter is just racking up the negative quirks. Right now if his health and the light are too low he takes a -20% damage penalty. Sucks, but I really only use him for ranged stuns and pulls and then wait for the occultist to mark something if he wants to contribute damage. But even when he destresses he gets new bad quirks. Guy can't win. Really thinking of firing him but the only bounty hunter available to replace him is not much better. And I'm attached to the guy.

Honestly everyone I brought in to make the B-team has been kind of useless. Not useless enough to die, but not good enough to win. Honestly wish a few of them would die so I wouldn't have to worry about firing them. Somehow kicking them out feels worse than dumping their bodies in the graveyard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

My favorite team so far has had two crusaders at the front, both with holy lance and the stun move. If anything is in the back, they take turns punishing it for its cowardice, which smoothly removes those shotgun bandits and priority spellcasters. When nothing exists to be lanced, they tag team to stun the front ranks. I like to put a bounty hunter with flashbang behind them to stun anything they don't kill.

Alternatively, I like to have a Hellion who spams YAWP! to lock down the front row, while a vestal or bounty hunter handle stunning the back ranks. Fourth guy can handle just straight killing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Black August posted:

It'd be cool if stress spirals could have much rarer reverse situations where there's a stress removal spiral -- like everyone on death's door, and one max-stress character has a superheroic moment that inspires the others with huge stress removal that keeps going as long as you don't die, or something similar.

It kind of can happen, especially if you luck out and two guys get positive inspirations, but oh man is it rare.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If the merchant has an ability to use party gold to bribe enemies into leaving you alone he'll be on any number of my teams.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I kind of wish there was an option to toggle the gender on characters, because I'd like a male hellion or a female leper or highwayman. I like to make analogues of my friend's dnd characters, for example, but like my wife's signature character would be a female highwayman and my best friend's would be a male vestal.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 3, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

Also it's $20 :negative:

For those of you who had the Kickstarter access, how worth it is it if I'm a big fan of roguelikes and XCOM?

So worth it, amigo. I backed it at twice what you'd be paying and it's worth it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

Cracked and bought it. This game is loving awesome. Unfortunately I lost both characters in the tutorial to a number of nasty crits and then the game decided that what I really needed was four plague doctors, but after a few dungeons my roster seems to be balancing out. Just got my first jester which I think will help keep my stress down.

Ha! In my experience I can't keep plague doctors alive for nothing. Burned through three.

I kind of feel that the squishier classes need a tiny bit of a health buff or AI needs to prioritize the front line slightly more, because lots of big bads like the ball and chain pig monster can hit the back lane over and over, sometimes for as much as half their health. My last poor occultist never got a turn because he got hammered for half his health and stunlocked until he died. My poor Leper is up front trying to soak up hits but the monsters just plain ignore him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Funnypost Collabo posted:

A lot of the enemies that focus the back line can be stopped by repositioning them. If they're in the front, try moving them to the back, and vice versa. If they're resistant to movement, try to move other enemies to push them back/forward.

That does kind of assume that you get turns and land hits that aren't resisted. Nothing like getting a surprise round and whiffing every single move only for the crossbowman/fusilier to land back to back criticals on their first round. :argh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Agreed with Grave Robbers being really good. This Jester/Grave Robber/Highwayman/Occultist party is great and my Graverobber is regularly critting for 25+ damage and is much, much sturdier than any of the 'tanky' classes due to crazy dodge rating. I've only gone through two dungeons with this party but they were the easiest two I've done yet.

Glad you are having luck with that. I took a Crusader/Highwayman/Graverobber party without sufficient healing in the back and two of them were dead by the second fight despite laying down incredible pain because of bad surprises, insufficient stuns and monster crits. The idea has merit, but I was absolutely murdered for daring it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Ugh, think I got a broken quest. Had to purify 3 alter things, but can only find two. I've been in every room of the dungeon. A map I found earlier labeled the 3 altars for me, but one of the rooms it marked was empty. I can't figure out what to do, unless the altar is in a hallway but that seems odd. Plus I'm wary about blundering around since I know there's at least one battle in that hall and my Graverobber has turned into masochistic idiotic, courtesy of rear end in a top hat goblet skeleton.

gently caress you :argh:

I had the same thing happen. Really frustrating.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I would gladly trade some of the Leper's abilities for more versatile skills. Like, if they had a move that was literally a Paladin's Cover skill from Final Fantasy, they'd probably be in my party all the time just to soak hits for more fragile and important characters. I do like the Knockback/- Acc attack, though. That's useful against some big things that need to not be in the front row anymore or need a debuff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Was there mention that stuff like tetanus and lockjaw were going to be removable by some other means than the sanitarium, since their illnesses rather normal psychological quirks? I've had bad luck here or there with the little vomit cannon pigs stacking diseases like crazy. My only jester at the moment is buried under diseases right now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is the +chance to surprise monsters bugged to affect the player or am I just having the worst luck? Because I keep getting surprised on my first fight with max torch light or immediately after using a move to increase my chance of surprising the enemy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

Remove the bleed effect from Incision and make it deal additional damage based on how many ticks of blight or bleed damage are left on the enemy. Encourage synergy with hellions & highwaymen, ala the occultist/bounty hunter. Change the skill name to something like Bad Medicine. See how they wither and die!

Since bleeds stack, they already synergize quite well. I had a Hellion and a Highwayman put 11 point dots on a guy today. I do like the idea of PDs being more of the blight monsters than they already are.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wouldn't mind the hag fights very much if the empty pot remembered its health value and didn't have so much defense that all attacks did 1 damage so it was actually possible to break it and prevent more people being thrown in the pot while also opening the witch to melee attacks, but as it is a leper is completely dead weight in that fight except as pot fodder. The optimal strategy should be to burn the witch down with ranged attacks (since she seems impossible to pull or shuffle) but I don't really like that it appears to be the only strategy. I'd like more options.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: Worth every penny.

Yeah only works for things that already have it.

And we're not sure, but the working theory is that yeah, you could pump above 100% to reduce resists, like THAC0 numbers or some poo poo. But we're not sure.

I have definitely applied bleeds to things that don't have blood thanks to trinkets. :iia:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just did the level 3 Hag for the first time and she seemed a lot easier; the pot didn't have that many HP, to the point that I was able to two-shot it both times someone went in.

If you mark the pot, it stays marked, and my bounty hunter was able to one shot it every time someone went in, even with an unupgraded weapon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nope. I took my best Leper to that fight and he was helpful in getting there because his knockback and multitarget abilities where accurate, but even his best damage attack only hit for one point on that pot and that was kind of the end for his contribution to that fight. And he died right at the bitter end, too, so no chance to redeem himself on some other boss.

Is there a boss that the Leper can actually fight or are do they all hunker in the back row and put up some wall or another?

Anyway, I was actually thinking about something someone said earlier: That this game was originally meant to be about actual specific characters rather than interchangeable dudes. Like, the Crusader was a guy with a certain name and he had a past and he'd talk about those things. Folks have also asked for a lose condition.

What if this game added a separate mode that used those cutting room floor details and fleshed them out like the original game was probably going to? Call it "Hero Mode." Basically, you get named heroes, and they have plot flags and talk to each other around the camp fire in specific ways and are all in all more typical story-RPG characters. They're a cut above the guys you get in regular Darkest Dungeon, but they're a cut above because they're all you get. The crusader has more health and better prot in Hero mode, but if he dies in your playthrough, he's gone and you don't get another. If you can't beat the game before you run out of characters, you lose. Darkest Dungeon meets Etrian Odyssey Untold, keep the permadeath.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Has anyone who's beaten the game working on/already made a Darkest-er mod to up the difficulty?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, the only mod I'd like is one that allows dudes of any level to attempt dungeons of any level.

Yeah, I've got one more low level boss to take care of but all my reliable guys are too high to go chase him so I have to foster another group of nobodies until they prove they can handle it. And then there's this problem:

Broken Cog posted:

OK, this is really annoying:

I don't have any level 0-2 characters left, so there is no way for me to do that mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You *can* burn down the cauldron with an occultist and Bounty Hunter but those are still ranged strikers. It's a neat fun fight but goddam the poor Leper.

Can you break the empty pot? When it has someone in it it takes normal damage, but when it's empty it seems to only take one point of damage and it's restored to full health every time someone comes out of it.

if you could break the pot and force the hag into melee the fight would be faster and more fun, especially if she got different attacks in the front row.