Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
My Plague Doctor was an alcoholic, and after a dungeon she decided never to drink again, so I had to put her in rehab. Game is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
So Occultist an Bounty hunter work really well together. Weakening Curse marks a target, which the BH can use for double damage.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Snow Job posted:

Changing that would take away some of the strategy of the game. There'd be no pressure of trying to fit between "too little" and "too much".

Not really. You have limited inventory slots. Foot stacks to 12, torches to 8. If you go in a medium dungeon, and don't immediately find what you're looking for, you start having to drop stuff if you over-prepared.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Dackel posted:

DOD= dodge

AKA "The best stat."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone found a real use for the Jester or the Graverobber?

Pair the Graverobber with a Highwayman. Highwayman Point Blank Shots for extra damage + knockback and moves back one, then Graverobber Shadow Fades stunning an enemy, gaining +20% dodge, and puts the Highwayman back in place. Repeat.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Leper is a beast. After favoring Crusader for awhile, losing my main one forced me to try Leper + Hellion for my melee and I love it. Hits like a truck.

Just downloaded a 15MB patch. The devs are super active this weekend.

I want to like the Leper, but it can only attack in the front and has no movement abilities. Any time I get surprised he's almost useless.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Magitek posted:

The game is very good overall, but my least favorite aspect is probably that heroes suddenly refuse to go on green-difficulty missions as soon as they hit level three. They may think they're hot poo poo, but without all the blacksmith and guild upgrades they're likely to get stomped by orange-difficulty missions. And since gold is at such a premium, the only good solution I'm seeing is to use multiple separate low level expedition teams to funnel all your upgrades into one "main" team. It's pretty unsatisfying being forced to neglect most of your dudes just to keep pace with an artificial XP restriction.

This is actually something I like. It means you can't just grind low level instances with high level characters. You always have to risk something going out. Things stop being quite so expensive once you get some of the -price improvements too.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 2, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I like this better because even when I hard-fail and everybody dies, I'm not starting completely over. Your town progress is significant and stays consistent.

It makes me wonder what the dungeon mobs thing about the adventurers. Think about it, the adventurers are an endless stream of bandits murdering their way through your home, looting everything that isn't nailed down. No matter how many you kill more keep coming, and every week their base of operations grows stronger on the horizon.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Vargs posted:

I'm starting to dislike the bounty hunter.

His push/pull/stun abilities are extremely unreliable outside of level 1 missions and deal very low damage. His marking gimmick is only beneficial if you're going to mark an enemy and then attack it two more times with the bounty hunter. Bosses aside, how often does that happen? Never, especially since you want to focus fire. Marking and then only getting a single attack is worse than just attacking twice, since the first regular attack could have crit and killed the target in one turn. You can mark with an occultist, but that wastes a turn that he could spend healing, and you'd better hope that the occultist goes first in the turn order. The bounty hunter also has no aoe and his damage is relatively poor.

All I really feel that he has going for him is his fairly flexible positioning, but that isn't anywhere near enough.

I love the BH, but I always tend to use him with an Occultist. His pulls still seem to work well on squishy back-liners on level 3 missions for me. Occultists don't need to heal every round, and marking a Size 2 baddy makes the BH a murder machine. He also has a stun and a move that procs off stuns, which works in every position, and hits every position.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I kind of forgot about this game since I didn't want to get worn out before the full release, but I remembered I kickstarted this thing enough to get like a character name an item put in. Did they ever put out the call for that or is that happening post-release?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

TheresNoThyme posted:

I really wish they would add a bunch of new trinkets before release day. Just let the interns go crazy for a week or two. End game gets kinda boring when most ancestor trinkets are bad and I've gotten everything I need loot-wise without ever even doing a 0-light run.

There's a bunch of kickstarter backers who're supposed to design items, but the devs don't seem to have gotten around to that yet.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

High level adventurers being pissy about low level runs is kind of jarring. In this dark, morose tale where some of the guys complain and beg not to be sent there again, having them refuse to do easy and safer work feels weird.

All of the characters are broken people there for broken reasons. If they had ever even considered doing easy jobs they would never have even showed up in town.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Haha whoever said hunger needs some tweaking is right. I just had a leper die from starvation because he was too full.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Just had an email to personalise a hero.

You can pick name, starting skills, class, colour scheme, 2x positive quirks and 1x negative quirks to start.

Made a Leper with fated as one of the quirks.

More importantly, the email also says that you can recruit any backer character at any time by typing their name in at the stage coach. So much for upgrading your number of new recruits.

Kickstarter has ~450 people who can make a character. I wonder which classes are going to be the most popular.

e: Also I think I'll make a houndmaster for maximum Ivan Pavlov reference.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

Think you asked the question and came up with the answer.

Will be shocked if Houndmaster isn't the most popular.

Dammit, but my naming scheme! :arghfist:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Well that sounds absolutely ridiculous

Can someone paste the whole mail?

Darkest Dungeon posted:

ACTION REQUIRED - PERSONALIZE YOUR HERO BY January 12th!
Hello backers!

You backed Darkest Dungeon via Kickstarter or our own website, at the Digital Patron/Digital Ultimate or higher tier!

One of your rewards is to Personalize a Recruitable Hero! Follow the link below to complete the survey:

PERSONALIZE A HERO NOW:
[Survey Link]

In order to have your hero included on January 19th, you must fill out this survey by January 12th. If you fill out your survey after the 12th, your hero will still be included, but in a later update/patch.

For any questions, please email backersupport@redhookgames.com

--The Darkest Dungeon Team

backersupport@redhookgames.com

Q) How will I recruit my hero in the game?

A) After, January 19th, you can enter the Stage Coach at any time while you are in the Hamlet and do the following:
1) Press ENTER
2) Type your hero's name
3) Press ENTER again
4) Your hero will appear, ready to be recruited!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

That would make more sense, but you'd think they would have specified.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Obviously the Collector is a time traveler and it's just his head from the future.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Well if you didn't why would you be reading a thread filled primarily with people describing just that

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Onmi posted:

So, I've got most of my Rank 3's who haven't leveled yet taking a stress off (all 7 of them, because I'm down a roster member that I was hoping to fill with a second Vestal) So now it's high time to go take out the Veteran bosses I believe, I have access to

Rank 4s
3 Crusaders
1 Vestal
1 Hellion
1 Grave Robber
1 Bounty Hunter
1 Abomination
2 Men at Arms
1 Highwayman
1 Occultist
1 Plague Doctor
1 Houndmaster

I'm thinking about going after the Necromancer with Triple Crusaders and a Vestal and just Holy Lancing him to Oblivion

I use double crusader for ruins, but I wouldn't recommend 3. The one farthest back may have some turns where they have no moves they can use.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Oh I forgot to mention, the email for backer designed items says they have a similar system to backer designed characters, in that you can get yours for free just by typing it in at the nomad wagon. I really do hope they have a system for limiting that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

hate when I have to abandon a run to a boss and the ensuing battles gently caress things up. lost highest level 4 vestal and stressed the others out while looking for the Flesh...probably should have taken someone with better scouting since I was just going around and round looking for that gross fucker. I miss my houndmens but I lose them all the time now.

I've noticed that bosses always seem to spawn in a room with maximum distance from the starting room. Some maps let you avoid a lot of fights and go straight there.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Very expensive though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember some old website had a rating for different party compositions, like letting you know that "warrior, blackmage, whitemage, thief" was pretty balanced and better than "whitemage, blackmage, whitemage, blackmage" or whatever.

Darkest Dungeon actually has names for some of it's compositions, which pop up when you lock them in. I think Vestal/Jester/GR/Highwayman is "Wine, Women, and Song".

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I feel like torches would be more interesting if they were more expensive, but brought your light up to full. Then it would be a choice between using them more often to keep light high, or being more efficient but dipping into darkness sometimes.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

That doesn't really explain her motivation for arrowing Cthulhu in the face though.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

That whole thing is worth listening to just for those last two bonus tracks.

Mods please thread name to Dankest Dungeon.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

drat, someone on the dev team really didn't like double crusader teams.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Serpentis posted:

By the way, if you were one of the people who got to design heroes or items, they're now in the full release. The traits you assigned your hero are locked in from recruitment, positive and negative. Haven't tried getting the item I designed yet.

Once I've made sure that's in I'll post the hero / item name in here for people to use.

Heroes are in, but I tried for my trinket and the interface doesn't seem to be in yet.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyways, someone tell me how to get good use out of the MaA. Too me he sort of feels like he's not particularly good enough at anything to want too spend a slot on him. His damage output isn't that great and his stun doesn't have a high enough success rate to reliably work in level 5 dungeons. Guarding is useful, but I can't help but feel I'd be better off just using a stronger frontliner so I don't have to guard in the first place.

Rampart, Bellow, Defender, Retribution.

Bellow is stronger than it looks. Put a quick draw charm on your MaA and open with Bellow, the speed advantage means more alpha-y alpha strikes, and a lot of fuckers get real dodgey later too.

Also his party-wide dodge camp skill is fantastic.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

AFAIK you have to wait for next round.

You know, it kind of seemed like it, but I never properly tested. Going first in round 2+ is still good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Why would someone be so upset about this game? Did it kill his dog or something?

I'd bet it's a defense mechanism for all the people who spout on about how casuals are ruining the game market for them hard core gamers, but when they actually get a game that's hard and punishing, it's clear that they're not actually cut out for it.