Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think I've ever stated up an NPC who's not intended to be used in a fight scene. What's the point?
I do not necessarily disagree with you, but in systems where PCs have non-combat abilities that sort of reflect combat statistics, it might be useful to have on hand. I mean, insofar as NPC stats are ever useful to have on hand. If you know your players are going to try to con their way into every not-immediately-accessible area in your game, you should know where they are going to run into bigger roadblocks. Well, again, if you do not just want to decide where they will run into roadblocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
We can all agree, surely, that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was equal parts amazing and horrible ... JUST AS WAS H.P. LOVECRAFT HIMSELF! ~fin~

Doodmons posted:

So my gaming group got put through AD&D1E Tomb of Horrors by our local AD&D GM. Zero fatalities, actually managed the secret happy ending by for-reals killing the demilich and not just busting his phylactery, 50k xp each, 150k gold each, some swag magic items and used the last Wish off the djinn to send everyone who ever died in the Tomb to a happy, final resting place. That's pretty much as good as it gets, right?
Start the gaming phone tree to let everyone know their formerly trapped dead characters are now resurrectable

This is just like when that guy played Tivadar's Crusade at that one Magic tournament and the resolution took weeks while every active game of Magic: The Gathering had to be notified

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Slimnoid posted:

I just looked at that card. Did someone really rule that all goblins everywhere were destroyed? :psyduck:
No, but that has been my dream ever since the first time I opened a pack of The Dark and saw it. And it should be the dream of all who have ever played Magic.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

My dream was always to get multiple recursive games going with the old Shahrazad card from Arabian Nights.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sneak a Radiate into an Unhinged tournament, cast rear end Whuppin' and watch the glory unfold.
These are both important ideas. Thank you. I hope to one day do both of these plans at once.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, Strike is just about to hit its first stretch goal, which is basically rules for huge boss monsters. I've got some stuff written up, but I need more ideas. Chat thread, I need your help! Post youtube links to the best boss fights in all videogames!
PC BLAST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6KAif6BYA
Just one of many comically enormous bosses in the Serious Sam games, but this one really took me a while to figure out, as it SORT OF seemed like you could do enough damage to kill it if you hit it solely with the most powerful attack but then he gets healed sometimes :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7C28Y8j_Wg
Not kidding. Hilarious and yet entirely sound mechanics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN2fezPg6Mc
It was kind of way too hard but there is a certain satisfaction in literally ripping a person to pieces slowly...if you are into that. Still mad the sequel never came out for PC, even though apparently it sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX3rEd1-A60&t=2059s
Jazzpunk's final boss fight is incredibly long but obviously, well, yeah. It is all kinds of entertaining. This is a little ways into it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

So guess who the only person who came into the office today is? :v:

Guess who had to drive an hour to get here?

Guess who decided to print gaming PDFs only to find out that the printer's not working?

:suicide:
I have heard several delightful "commuting an hour to find all the people with shorter commutes are not actually here" stories today.

And my wife is supposed to be interviewing a state away today (Vermont -> Massachusetts), and was going to go in on Saturday to make sure the storm did not stop her from arriving in a timely fashion ... but they called her on Saturday to be like "hold on, maybe we will cancel the interview" ... Sunday ... "oh, hold on, maybe we will cancel" ... Monday morning 6:30, "O.K. head on down here!" :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

We can only hope that 80 years from now, our era won't be judged based on some GamerGater who can't get laid but can write a decent horror story.
No worries, as far as I can tell GamerGate people are literally only capable of creative works if they in some way involve overtly attacking minority groups, so they are ensuring their historical irrelevance with every passing moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z65s0fqDw4&t=29s

Also while there is obviously racism in the North, if Lovecraft had been a Vermonter maybe things could have worked themselves out. "These disgusting half-breeds DO have excellent soil conservation strategies...and their maple cakes are beyond compare!" Wait now I am doing one of those comic book supervillains Twinkie ads

Hmm, gonna need an out-of-left-field reference to end this post

Oh Ram and Shyam, what won't you do for delicious Parle(tm) brand Poppins(tm)?

remember you must look for the silver stripes on the package to know you are getting authentic Parle(tm) brand Poppins(tm)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lynx Winters posted:

I reviewed it for the FATAL & Friends thread. Short version, it's terrible and someone will actually cause the game to lock up on accident. It's also the only tabletop RPG I've seen where it's possible to freeze the game.
I would like to know more about this. The only time I can recall ever deciding that a tabletop game had locked up was the first time I played an Immolation on my opponent's Clergy of the Holy Nimbus when I had no mana to tap, and so the game crashed and the universe had to be rebooted.

Halloween Jack posted:

She is reported to have called him an "adequately excellent lover" :cthulhu: :laugh:
I have little doubt that the nude female form inspired just as many nightmares for him as the stares of immigrants.

Kai Tave posted:

The whole "I've never played this RPG before but I'm immediately going to try to houserule it before I start" thing is so ridiculously dumb. Like, aside from Monopoly do people ever do this with board games? "Oh, this new XCOM board game looks fun buuuuuut I'm gonna change how this rule and this rule works based on nothing but gut instinct. Galaxy Truckers, sounds like fun! But before we get started, let me just tack on this homebrew MIRROR UNIVERSE expansion I made based on a My Little Pony fanfic that inspired me."
Not that this makes it O.K., but if a mechanic in a new game you get seems to work a lot like a mechanic you hate in some other game, I can understand the instinct to try to fix it before even encountering it. Though I also do not know how to read so obviously I would not do this myself.

Error 404 posted:

But, and correct me if I'm wrong, aren't some of these wildly disparate essays pretty close together, like within months or years?
Yes, and as early as the mid-1970s he was already telling people that if they did not like a rule they should feel free to change it, because the point was to have fun, not to get bogged down in minutiae.

(And then a few weeks later saying "well, if you want to do this thing, that is fine, but do not call it Dungeons & Dragons." Sometimes I wonder if he intentionally contradicted himself just to ensure people on any side of a gaming argument could use him as proof of their viewpoint, haha)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
So YouDubber.com is really a page that loads for other people, rather than just timing out? Fascinating!

Also I was going to respond to Nancy_Noxious but I think that ship has long since sailed.

PresidentBeard posted:

they are nothing compared to the legions of wehraboo fascists.
I used to think nothing good had come from coopting that Perry Bible Fellowship comic strip word but then I saw this and now I will concede that it has now redeemed itself.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Its also not how you are supposed to play Ravenloft which is the most confusing aspect of the entire setting. The horror is so incredibly shallow and painfully derivative that it really isn't scary but the mechanics are straight out of a Cthulhu horror game.
Yeah I mean, Ravenloft really would be a profoundly terrifying place in real life, but when you are playing a character who casually murders evil creatures and spirits from beyond the grave on a regular basis, a dead guy wrapped in linen seems a bit less offputting. Kind of like the Punisher going from comic book to movie; "a man who uses guns to kill bad guys suddenly sounds a tiny bit less like a novel premise in that setting.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think my favorite orc spin I've seen (It may even have been here) was "Orcs -were- a world-destroying threat years ago....and then they found out that other races don't reincarnate shortly after death with all memories intact. So have spent the last several decades being really, really sorry because they thought they were just temporarily inconveniencing people with all the murder."
That was here. That was a pretty fun idea. Though it sounds like a better setting for a police procedural than an RPG I think. "These look like orc blade cuts...but...there hasn't been an orc killing in 20 years." "Looks like Guruk the Not Appreciative of Others' Mortality has finally returned."

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also the actual best alignment system is the one where you write the action hero your character would best identify with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KvM3vZo0w&t=20s

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I know I am way behind but to be fair none of those YouDubber links loaded for me yesterday :mad:

The Deleter posted:

I think that music owns and if GW advertised their stuff with more flavourful trailers like that then

Well, it wouldn't solve anything, but I think they could do a lot more with a product's advertising and/or score if they strayed away from orchestral/metal crap and went for more characterful styles sometimes. This could apply to a lot of things, mind. :v:
Your point has helped me realize why I am not happy with the original OR any of the parodies: the problem is not that they only use orchestral or metal, it is that they do not use orchestral metal.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ths just reminds me of when nerds got salty over the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer and went on to unironically applauded for this version.

I don't think it's entirely just because oh no it's not my bad white 80's metal, I think it's more that nerds are literally too shallow and too dumb to understand how music and visuals go together and just want MY MUSIC alongside MY IMAGES. Videos with fitting music? Uh, excuse me, have you considered playing entirely uncomplimentary music so long as it's the genre I approve of???
This will go great with the first part of my post, but I think the original song is terrible in part because it randomly switches to metal at the end. Plus Perturbator is amazing, even though I think you definitely would need either sparse vocals or sparse voice acting for any good song. So really both fail in different ways in my opinion :haw:

Lightning Lord posted:

I watched the trailer again and lol, the song is absolutely perfect. A cybernetic fashion model murderer is getting shot as the lyrics say "bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky" as the camera pans up to the sky. In the end she is recruited by the police, and one of the refrains of the song is "personal responsibility". How the hell does anyone cry that it isn't synth????
I am not sure what it is about the guy's voice but I did not even hear him sing anything besides "personal responsibility," which I actually thought was a hilarious commentary on how obviously this woman was just trying to pull herself up by her cybernetic razorbootstraps.

Anyway, here, I think I can solve this problem

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, Eoris does look amazing.

Maybe some level of explaining its existence is tied into its Colombian roots. I mean, from what I gathered from my wife's Colombian friend, you can get almost anything done for a fraction of the USA price there--does that extend to RPG art? Hey, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Anyone playing anything other than Champions character creation with 3.5 combat and Amber trait resolution while dressed as live-action Vampire players is wasting their time

• Locked thread