Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Hey come in! Haven't seen you since GTCC Forza 4 days a couple years ago. :)

I'm going to be getting in on pCARS to try and relive said GTCC days, and need to get me a wheel for my PC. What's a fair-priced wheel/pedal set? My frame of reference is the cheap/crap Microsoft wheel they made for 360. I'm not looking to go super-pro $500 wheel $200 pedal like a Fanatec or anything, but between the Logitech and Thrustmaster options maybe which one works the best with pCARS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I said come in! posted:

I want to buy an Xbox One for Forza 6, but I don't know yet. I really miss the Forza series. :/ I get PCARS for PC with all of the DLC for free, but my PC isn't that good so I'm gonna buy this for PS4.
I miss GTCC more than Forza so far, but I don't think I'll be going Xbone at all, if ever. I've played with the Oculus Rift. I need it. I need it. And that means a PC. :)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Atom 300 Supercharged? Oh my. Ohhh my.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Do we still not have a Steam group for this game? Do I really have to make it? I'll probably be the least active, and when I will be active, I'll be in last place.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm in Asia, so I'm going to be on during your mornings/afternoons. LiquidRain on Steam, I'll be joining the Steam group once work lets out in an hour or so.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Just noticed Pretty Panda's in the Steam group now. Kiss your time attack records goodbye, everyone.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any way to deal with that driver network stuff via a Steam group, or do I have to friend everyone in game? For dick measuring hotlap times and such.
Yeah I'm pretty peeved about this. It's going to make organizing much messier compared to direct Steam Community integration. :( It's bad enough that it's impossible to tell how many folks are playing without popping open the Steam web browser to the Community page. No quick way to tell. Oh well, we'll manage.

edit: I think I'm going to be goddamned useless until I get a wheel, I can't manage to get any of these cars around any turns effectively. Either that or I've completely forgotten how to drive. It's embarrassing.

vvvvv yeah but opening that can be a pain and is relatively hidden to having something in-game that's integrated, Forza had the club stuff nailed.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 8, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Feenix posted:

Best PC settings for Wired Xbox 360 controller? Anyone have any good suggestions?
Default setting move the car a LOT when you barely touch the stick, for example.
Reduce dead zone as low as you can go, decrease steering sensitivity a notch or two, increase speed sensitivity. I had the same issues, though I'm using a PS4 controller. ( with Input Mapper )

I also bumped up the.. I forget the setting name. Filtering? It's at zero by default. Bump it a notch or two to smooth out the inputs from your stick. Increase it too much though and things will just lag though.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Considering I don't have a wheel and I'm planning to buy a G27 based on GutBomb's recommendation, I'm seeing all these different setups and problems and having to set things up for each car and I'm wondering if I should have even bought the game. Is this normal? Was it too much to expect Forza/GT-like "plug in the wheel and it's good"? How much time will I have to invest in this just to have some fun races with you guys? It seems needlessly complicated.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Just ordered a G27, only wheel available I can find here. Most stores list it out of stock too. :suicide:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Essobie posted:

I feel like I'm doing a disservice to myself being part of the PC Master Race if I'm not manually tweaking all of this stuff on a car to car basis, so I went with the video info instead of the giant FFB folder route.
Please no. You don't owe anyone any service for participating in the PC gaming community. I own a high powered PC and have been playing PC games all my life and I expect this poo poo to work out of the box, without loving around with folders full of settings and changing XML files and having to tweak wheel settings for every individual car.

I'm looking forward to owning a wheel tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to loving around and following all these guides just so I can enjoy the game.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

We'll never have Maple Valley in pCARS. FM4's version was amazing. (but we do have Monaco, and Brands, and...)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

widespread posted:

Now, I think I've seen this one? Not sure. Was it a staple in some series or...?
Popular imaginary tracks in Forza 3 and 4. 4, especially, was a very good iteration. Fast, sweeping, great elevation changes, good lookin'.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I just got my G27 and I seem to have a tendency to pull on the wheel towards me and off my table. One of those would be nice.

I have nothing to compare this force feedback too other than Forza 4 and the lovely MS wheel. Also: I am terrible at this game don't include me haha.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yep, FFB needs tweaking a lot for sure. I don't feel rumble strips at all, and while I had some FFB with the karts, going to a Ford Focus brought my wheel intensity to 0.

Gonna try that linked stuff.

edit: still kinda meh?

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 12, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Norns posted:

Read over the post. There's some other stuff you'll want to tweak. Like the wheel rotational lock (so cars have proper wheel turning radius)
I don't see that part. :( He says "People who prefer Soft FFB Lock change the line in the files like this: <value DisableLockSpring="false" /> (FFB lock for each car's certain degrees of rotation)" - do I need to do that for each XML file?!

"Previous wheel preset terms like, Relative Gain, Scoop, Tighten Center, Soft Clip, Base Drag - is old stuff and donīt work."

2 lines later: "Useful setting for G25/27 and similar range of wheels: Scoop Knee = 70, Scoop Reduction = 15

:suicide:

The only car I've tried where I've felt the FFB was understandable was the Caterham 7 Classic. Every other car/kart i just don't get any valuable info out of the FFB. Help. :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

GutBomb posted:

Where he says the presets don't work he's referring to setting those presets within the ffb xml files. In older builds it worked to set them from the files but now you need to set those in the ffb calibration menu in game. I know it's not really very clear.

Yes you do need to change those settings for every file but if you get notepad++ (I think it's free) you can do a find and replace to a whole folder at once and it only takes a few seconds to do.
Could it just be spelled out what exactly I gotta do here? I know we played a lot of Forza, and I did like that FFB, so if you've gotten settings to feel good for you I'll stick to that and trust your judgment there.

Right now I'm looking at:

Step 0: reset my wheel settings in game and calibrate
Step 1: copy the ??? FFB folder to My Documents/Project CARS/.
Step 2: beyond my ability to comprehend right now

And yeah I'm fine with firing up Notepad++ to find and replace all.

As for car settings, where do I configure degrees-to-lock? I prefer lower values, in the 180-200 range. Most cars in the game are fine but I found the Focus RS to require a lot more turning than I cared for.

Sorry for being annoying with all this. I hope the console users don't need to go this far.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Lyer posted:

Oh god, after playing GT games the sounds in this game are so loving good.

What exactly is speed sensitivity in the options?
The faster you go, the lower your steering sensitivity. Increasing this value affects how much your steering sensitivity is lowered while going fast.

Allows you to make finer adjustments while bombing down a straight at max speed without accidentally putting yourself in a wall because you accidentally tweaked your analog stick a couple of millimetres too far.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Lyer posted:

So the lower the sensitivity the more minute adjustments I can make while going at high speeds? Or vice-versa?
The lower your steering sensitivity, the more minute adjustments you can make at any time.
The higher your speed sensitivity, the more minute adjustments you can make at high speed.

Sounds kind of backwards now that I think about it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Lyer posted:

I've only raced in the LM1 race cars, but has anyone noticed any weird spin outs? Like I'll lift off the throttle and all of a sudden I'll be heading towards the wall. Mashing on the gas I understand, but the lift-off is really weird.
Google lift-off oversteer.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Strenots posted:

Just picked this game up for Steam tonight and it's amazing. It is also ego-crushing. I haven't touched a racing game since Forza 4 and just trying to drive a goddamn Clio makes me feel like an idiot. I love it.
I haven't touched racing since Forza 4 either, and I'm in the same boat. I can't drive anything. I figured jumping in to the karts for career mode would be a good idea, to start with some slow and easy stuff. Hahaha. Hah. Aha. :saddowns:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I have a really, really hard time with the Focus. It's steering is like a road car, rather than a race car, which means it takes a lot of turning-in to make it really go around a corner. It's also one of the few FWD drive cars which means if you're on the gas, you're going to be getting a lot of understeer.

Which is to say, it drives like a truck compared to the twitchy little go karts. Go drive a Formula car, an Atom, or a Caterham, and you'll see what I mean. :)

The difference between cars in this game (especially with a 900 degree steering wheel) is massive compared to Forza and GT.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Let us English posted:

Is there a good beginner guide out there? I just got the game for the eye candy and I'm clueless as to where to start. Even on novice it's a little overwhelming at the moment. I've never really played a GT or Forza.
Turn on all the assists except steering. Slow down when the racing line is not green. Speed up when it's green. Once you got that under your belt, turn off assists one by one. If you're used to arcadey games prepare to use your brakes here a lot more than you're used to. :) You gotta slooooow doooown. edit: another tip, don't worry about 1st or the super tuning stuff like the post below me is worrying about. play at defaults, and try to beat YOUR level of driving, i.e. the guy in front of you. wait for your moment to pass. don't rub or hit other cars. this is a tough game and you ain't gonna be a pro. (neither am I) :)

Also: do people find multiplayer games? I know I'm in an odd timezone (Korea/Japan) but there's literally zero games every night I check. :(

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 14, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Norns posted:

If you don't like carts, start a career mode without them in it.

Why are people forcing themselves to drive things they don't like? Litterly everything is open from the start.

It seems like progression is locked in. I was hoping to jump around after completing kart one, and got stuck with only super kart options with seemingly nothing else on the docket.

You can abandon your season and go somewhere else, but I'm not sure if the game penalizes you in any way for it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm in Asia (+9 GMT), so as much as I'd like to be in on one of these, the only chance I'd have is if you guys agree on doing mornings in US, afternoons in Euro, and evenings here. (not bloody likely :) )

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Someone send help. I'm stuck in Silverstone and it's not counting up the laps and I keep getting blue flags.

p.s. I started in 1st

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

At least you have something. Every night for me it's "no multiplayer sessions found." :(

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

drat, thanks for that warning, I just hit Formula Rookie and was about to start ignoring all invitationals. Guess I'll have to do boring stuff now too! :/

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Basticle posted:

Since literally no one answered this I guess I'll host an event next sunday again? (I'll still be around to race thursday nights)
I already mentioned earlier that the only time I can play translates to about 8pm EDT or later on Fri/Sat. (this is Sat/Sun mornings for me but midnight UTC :/ ) Won't be able to please everyone and I think I am literally the only person here in Asia where that time works out for me. Also being the only person in Asia expect me to lag-bomb the poo poo out of everyone. Here's hoping that it's not as bad as it was in GTCC. :)

edit: I tried creating a Google Docs sheet so people can put in what times they'd like on a board but I sucked at making it.

edit2: Google Docs doesn't support calculating date *and* time together very well so gently caress that timesink

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 9, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

How about we try this:

Put your name down here if you play on PC and you are INTERESTED in playing in one of the time slots. This is to gauge how many folks we can get for what time slots - it's not an attendance sign-up sheet!

Basticle I'm assuming you'll head up the American times there? Can you put that in?

I'm figuring I'll start hosting the Asia-compatible slots not this week, but next week, the weekend of the 20th. We can run the same theme that Basticle sets (e.g. Clio Cup) throughout all the time slots. I'll run the time slots in Asia for 4 weeks as best I can to get a good gauge on attendance for the two times.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 10, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

LiquidRain posted:

How about we try this:

Put your name down here if you play on PC and you are INTERESTED in playing in one of the time slots. This is to gauge how many folks we can get for what time slots - it's not an attendance sign-up sheet!

Basticle I'm assuming you'll head up the American times there? Can you put that in?

I'm figuring I'll start hosting the Asia-compatible slots not this week, but next week, the weekend of the 20th. We can run the same theme that Basticle sets (e.g. Clio Cup) throughout all the time slots. I'll run the time slots in Asia for 4 weeks as best I can to get a good gauge on attendance for the two times.
Quote for new page, PC/Steam players put your names in!

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Project CARS is 25% off Steam. Not a daily deal, or at least not yet, but keep an eye on it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Alright Basticle, you can see for yourself now:

You'll probably get a higher turnout on weekends.

Sorry njsykora, looks like we really are the only 2 people who play at that wacky time. I've added you as a friend on Steam though, so you'll probably see me play around that time anyway. :)

Gutbomb I expect to see you on a Friday night sometime! :D

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 13, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Forza 6 lookin' really good as a known quantity here. :smith: Don't want to buy a 'bone though.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Falken posted:

For me Forza 6 would mean I'd need to: A: Buy an Xbox One, B: Sell my CSR Elite, C: Buy a CSW V2 w/ Xbone rim.

That would put me into the Ģ1000 region near enough, depending on how much I could get for my elite wheel. That's money that could go into my 944, so gently caress it. There's literally gently caress all else for me to buy the console for anyway.
This is why I'll be on pCARS anyway.

Say, Basticle, looks like my quick survey's just about done. Would you mind moving weekly races to Friday evenings? Then the Euro folk can have another time on a Sunday evenings when it doesn't intersect with F1 I s'pose?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Is that the turbo Lotus? Because I can't keep that thing in a straight line. The turbo comes on right at the top, and then I'm straight off the course. Takes a hell of a feather-foot.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

What controller are you using? Sounds like you have the clutch slipping to me.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Leaves plenty of free space for Windows' file caching. If you have a Samsung SSD, you can let its RAPID driver use another 4GB as cache, too.
Don't use RAPID if you have <16GB though. I have 8GB and pCARS stuttered for me a hell of a lot until I turned off RAPID.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's unrewarding in terms of placing at the end of the race, it's highly rewarding in being able to race!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Maybe the AI won't have god-tires that grip when cold and also grip perfectly when they run into the grass and gravel now.

Also they might actually make mistakes instead of running perfectly for the whole race with no moments whatsoever.
Well that'd make a marked difference from the Forza AI, which works fairly well until you hit the rewind button into the middle of a corner and you watch them all go straight off into the barriers. :mmmhmm:

• Locked thread