Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

They'll take bigger (I've got a 128 in mine), but you may have to format it in a weird way. If I remember, it has to be FAT32, but you might need a certain program to get it that way.

Yeah.

The catch is that the 3DS only understands FAT32, and the official SD card spec says that cards bigger than 32GB must be formatted to exFAT. Well behaved formatters like the one built into Windows will refuse to format them to FAT32.

But FAT32 does technically support >32GB volumes so you can use a tool like guiformat to do it regardless of what the spec says :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

greatn posted:

Can't you access that with wifi?

Yeah, the N3DS has a built in SMB server. Though I still use the homebrew FTP app because it launches much faster :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

greatn posted:

Is there a homebrew thread? I'd be happy trying some things considered safe.

Over here. The OP is a bit out of date though, I'd recommend reading https://3ds.guide instead.

e: To be clear, the steps on 3ds.guide are to completely hack the 3DS. If you just want to run homebrew that doesn't need system access then you can stop once you get the Homebrew Launcher running.

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 29, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

About 80% of that is the 800-odd Pokemon models, remember.

1600-odd models, they made separate low-poly models for Pokemon that are following you around outside of battle. The following feature was cut but all the assets for it were left in the game :v:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/269792-pokemon-sun-moon-datamining-leads-to-low-polygon-model-animation

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You can't get rid of the built-in apps, just put them all in a folder so they only take up one tile.

e;fb

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If you're buying new styluses I'd recommend getting some of these retractable ones. The standard one is too drat small :argh:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

cool i bought one off of amazon, onyl thign I read was that it's kind of a pain to get games to save or something?

Yeah the EZ Flash requires ROMs to be patched with extra metadata so it knows which type of save the game uses. The alternative is the EverDrive-GBA which Just Works with unpatched ROMs, but you pay a hefty premium for it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You can also improve the framerate in older games by forcing them to run in N3DS mode :rice:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Or SNES games!

Or enable 3D without having to view the screen at a perfect 90 degree angle!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AcidRonin posted:

so wait, I HAD thought I had found a good guide on how to format a larger ds card for a new Nintendo 3ds, but now I can't. What are the settings you need to use for a 64+gb sd card?

Format it with this tool. Allocation unit size doesn't matter, just leave it on the default.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's pretty easy to revert to stock, just follow this: https://3ds.guide/uninstall-cfw

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

This might be :files: but is the best way to emulate DS games a flash card or on a PC? If it's a flash card, what is a good one for the New 3DS, and what would I need to roll it?

Turns out that collecting DS games is fairly expensive.

Ideally you should get a DS flashcart with an ntrboot mode, because aside from running DS games those models also make it very easy to jailbreak your 3DS firmware regardless of which version you have installed.

There's a list here: https://3ds.guide/ntrboot

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I do wish Nintendo would have gone back and patched some of their older games with New 3DS enhancements - games like Luigi's Mansion and DKC Returns would really benefit from a higher framerate, both with and without 3D.

With a hacked 3DS you can force everything to run in n3DS mode :ssh:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

For future reference, there's a project that emulates the defunct DLC servers for many DS games:

https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator/wiki

Save editing is probably easier but not every game has a save editor available.

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 24, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Because I have Dragon Balls to fight.
e - if it's not to :filez:, what's the current method to do save editing and such. Is Soundhax still a thing? Was there ever a save editor for any of the Streetpass games?

We have a thread for Nintendo hacking over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Just follow https://3ds.guide basically. Soundhax won't work anymore if your 3DS is fully updated, but literally any 3DS can be hacked using certain DS flashcarts.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Note that you need a special tool to format it, the 3DS requires FAT32 and Windows built in formatter won't let you format an SD card larger than 32GB to that.

This does the job: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There weren't any known firmware exploits for 11.6 anyway, everyone was just using the bootrom exploit. Which will continue to work on 11.7 and all future firmwares.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Those USB adapters are slightly questionable since the 3DS charger puts out 4.6v and USB is 5.0v, but I've never heard of that actually causing any problems. It's close enough I guess.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The N2DS XL has its speakers on the bottom edge which kind of sucks. They're easy to cover with your hands.

N3DS XL has them next to the top screen as god intended.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Is it possible to get replacement batteries from Nintendo?

Yeah: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat970134

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Totally possible to stream 3DS. Requires modifying either the hardware or the firmware though.

The only company still making 3DS capture hardware went out of business a few months ago :smith:

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/02/05/the-3ds-capture-card-business-is-over/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Software emulating the GBA on the 3DS is also an option however, mGBA has an official 3DS port that works quite well.

(at least it does on the n3DS, I don't know if the OG 3DS is fast enough)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah but DS flashcarts are dirt cheap and have near perfect game compatibility nowadays, while the software loader is still hit or miss. Just get a flashcart tbh.

hatty posted:

Is there a homebrewy way to make it that all DS or GBA games launch in “pixel perfect” mode automatically? Sometimes I let go of select too early or press it too late then I need to close and relaunch.

I don't think there is, it sounds like something CFW could do but googling it just found someone asking the Luma3DS dev if it's possible and the dev saying "No" with no elaboration :shrug:

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 3, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looks like they figured out an exploit for Switch Lite. That'll probably end up being nicer and friendlier than a hacked Vita.

The Xecuter one? That's not a software exploit, they're selling a modchip and it's currently unknown how difficult the installation will be.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Probably, but I wouldn't hold your breath for another unfixable god-mode hardware backdoor like the RCM flaw on early Switches.

The firmware itself could be attacked but Nintendo can update that on a whim so you might need to go out of your way to keep a Lite on older firmware to eventually hack it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If your 3DS is hacked you can take screenshots anywhere via the Luma3DS menu.

otherwise no afaik

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They're still on AliExpress, $3.80 for a black one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000048731476.html

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Not being dumb here but what’s the benefit of hardware emulation over a modded psp or vita (which imo has a great screen)

Potentially lower input/display latency, and guaranteed to never run slower than the original hardware as emulators sometimes do when running on weaker hardware

Analogues stuff is very accurate too, not really more accurate than the best PC emulators but the stuff you get on limited systems like the PSP tends to cut corners

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

WPA2 was very rare when the DS was launched.

But yes it was an awful system nonetheless.

The DS itself not having WPA2 was forgivable, but they baked the whole network stack into each game instead of deferring to the firmware so DS games still don't support WPA2 when you play them on a 3DS :mad:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can you homebrew around this?

nope

apparently dsi-enhanced games could do wpa2 on a dsi (or 3ds) but plain ds games are forever stuck without it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Nothing at all supports doing poo poo like this and it's definitely using the components outside their intended design.

It's an arbitrary limitation really, FAT32 supports volumes bigger than 32GB no problem, and the SD card itself doesn't care what filesystem you use, but the SD foundation says that cards bigger than 32GB must use exFAT instead of FAT32 because reasons. Windows enforces that limitation but there's really no technical reason why FAT32 can't work on a big SD card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Mattybee posted:

There is no reason to worry about this, they use literally the exact same battery in Switch Pro controllers

The original 3DS uses the same battery as the Pro Controller so official spares will be readily available for a long time, but the 3DS XL and n3DS XL use a different, bigger battery.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

It's the Wii U Pro controller (not the gamepad) that shares the battery with the 3DS XL.

Not quite, the Pro Controllers (both Wii U and Switch) use the CTR-003 which is the smaller battery from the smaller 3DS models

As mentioned above the 3DS XL uses SPR-003. AFAIK Nintendo doesn't use SPR-003 for anything anymore so get OEM replacements while you still can.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doesn't the 3DS have a separate WiFi config menu for DS games? Do you have a broken connection set up in there?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you'll be back

god help me if they don't release round 3 i might fill in the last slot

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah but even if you use an emulator on a desktop you have a controller and a mouse so it's still not a problem.

DS emulation works pretty well on phones too, obviously the lack of real buttons limits what's really playable but things like RPGs can work well

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They've banned hacked systems from playing online in the past, but I think the last banwave was in 2017 so they don't really care anymore

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's 3 batteries, the one in the Pro Controllers is shared with the Old3DS, Old2DS and New2DSXL

The New3DS uses a different battery, and the 3DS XL models use another different battery

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't one of those share the same battery as the Switch Pro Controller, or am I thinking of the WiiU one?

Both Pro Controllers use the same battery

CTR-003 - Old3DS, Old2DS, New2DSXL, Wii U Pro Controller, Switch Pro Controller

KTR-003 - New3DS

SPR-003 - Old3DSXL, New3DSXL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You don't need Linux, this tool works fine for formatting FAT32 >32GB

http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm