Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Bloomington posted:

I pre-ordered the monster hunter 4u version and got it at the midnight launch.

Unfortunately the touch screen is busted, and I can't exchange it for another one because every monster hunter n3ds was spoken for by pre-order and there won't be any more.

Black new 3ds it is :downs:

Is it broken as in broken lcd, or just doesn't work right?

If the second, take off your screen protector of you have one, and also try loosening the screws underneath the back plate a turn or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

io_burn posted:

Looks like Pokemon Shuffle is only out in Japan and Europe? The most specific release date I can find for North America is "February 2015?" Are Americans also getting the game today, or does the eShop just not update until later in the day for us?

Nintendo loves noon EST for updates that aren't a midnight hit. Check back in half an hour or so and you'll have your answer.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

To briefly interrupt the goon dogpile here, pokemon shuffle is in fact up on the eshop now.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Etrips posted:

Any goon favorites for a case of some kind?

I splurged a bit and bought this one:

http://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-3ds-cases/products/nintendo-3ds-xl-cityslicker-case

Looks ridiculously nice, though. Otherwise the hori dura flex seems to be a popular option.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Go to a mall instead you creepo

Or just go use the bathroom in a random McDonalds on the way to work and you'll get 6 at once!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Housh posted:

Anyone physically hold a city slicker xl case? Good build quality? I'm eying the all black one but that grizzly one looks nice.

I splurged and got mine earlier this week. Build quality seems great so far. Incredibly study, feels nice in the hands, snaps and straps are all pretty drat heavy duty. It was certainly worth the money I paid.

I ordered the Camel, but I was honestly expecting it to be much more yellow.

Edit: there, fixed the image.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

DaveKap posted:

No it didn't.

Doesn't matter though, got one anyway thanks to a buddy in a city that has a good dozen gamestops.

The bold print literally says "these systems will be available on gamestop.com starting tomorrow" in the very first line.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Yes I got one a few weeks ago with metroid fusion and its incredible, get one for sure.

Agreed. Especially if you can get your hands on an EZFlash 4 or something similar. It becomes drat near a keychain of boredom alleviation.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Nintendo CS is wonderful. I had a weird moment lamenting that I had lost my ambassador games a couple years back when I upgraded to an XL and didn't even think about the system transfer and shot them an email with the serial number from the old system and my club nintendo account name, asking if it was at all possible to get them back. Less than a day later I got a reply that basically told me to check my eshop history, and lo and behold, there were my ambassador games and certificate. A loving plus.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Wow, I'm not even sure free was the right price for Yoshi's New Island. I grabbed it because I owned literally everything else on the Plat rewards, but holy poo poo. This is still anything from unremarkably dull to just plain bad.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Artix posted:

Really? Because so far I'm finding mostly alright. Music is godawful and totally unfitting, but otherwise everything seems okay. Might take a dive off a cliff later on though, not going to discount that.

I didn't make it out of the first world. The music is gratingly terrible, the art style rubs me in a bad way, and the levels I did get through all seemed so unbelievably uninspired and boring that it wasn't worth putting up with the aforementioned other issues. Personal taste will obviously affect a lot of that.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Healbot posted:

The next batch of Sega 3D classics will be Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2 and :frogsiren:Gunstar Heroes:frogsiren:.

Holy poo poo. I love owning this goddamn system. Why can't good ol' Ninty find a nice third party to develop their classics like this?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

How much were the streetpass games gonna total? $15 for the whole bundle?

Each game is 5 bucks, the first four DLC games came in a bundle for 15 dollars. The two new ones come in a bundle for 8 dollars, or if you own the other 4 you get a special bundle deal for 7.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Puzzle pieces are pretty easy to get when:
1) you get 6-10 streetpasses a day and
2) you don't spend your play coins on anything but filling out puzzles.

I have them all completed so until they put out more puzzles I'm basically the puzzle piece fairy.

Same here. I'm basically constantly sitting at around 200 play coins using a few for monster manor/gardening here and there, so every time a new puzzle hits I basically fill out every blue piece on the spot. It's oddly satisfying.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I just work very near to a Home Depot and end up getting a nintendo zone pass group almost every day by happy accident. :shrug:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

io_burn posted:

With a HomePass setup are you just getting maximum StreetPass data 24/7? I think the reason I enjoy all the StreetPass games so much is I only get to 10 StreetPass dudes every couple days. I'm not sure the games would hold up if you were just rapid fire grinding through them, would they? If you've got a HomePass how many StreetPasses per day do you typically get?

You can customize it to change MAC addresses as frequently as you'd like it to, which will bring in a new group each time, or leave it on one MAC and get 6 every 8-12 hours.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

goferchan posted:

Nicalis had nothing to do with the PS4/PC versions which is why you haven't had problems

Nicalis certainly had a big hand in the PC version. If I remember right, Edmund basically acted as the director for the remake while Nicalis did the work.

And the reality is, Isaac is basically a huge cash cow for them, so I'm hoping it gets a bit more attention than the average Nicalis indie game of the month. Don't you fret, 3ds thread. I'll be your guinea pig and throw 15 bucks out and see if it's poo poo.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 7, 2015

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is live on the New 3DS shop. Can anybody report on its quality? I love that game but it runs kinda poorly on the Vita.

I posted this in the eshop thread, but I'll cross post it here for you, even though it turns out my first impressions are actually poo poo and the game runs progressively worse and worse the further in you get:

Vegastar posted:

I swore to be the Isaac guinea pig, so I bought it and played a couple runs so far. It's not horrifically broken thus far, but it's not picture perfect. The game gets a bit choppy when there's a lot of enemy death animations happening at once for starters. Additionally, the music seems to be occasionally cutting out when moving between rooms with different songs (ie. from the main floor theme to a boss trap room, there will just be silence in the mob trap room). Finally, the room to room transition is on the slower side. Overall it's still a very functional portable version of Isaac, but missing a few polishing and optimization things. I'm probably gonna blow the next 3 hours playing some more runs, we'll see if I can break anything significantly enough to change my mind about recommending it.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 23, 2015

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Ugh, bummer. Sounds kinda worse than the Vita version. Thanks.

EDIT: Ignore all this. Game seems to run progressively worse the further in you get. I can't recommend actually buying it without an optimization patch or something. Posting more opinions further downthread as I go through.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2015

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Alright, I just fought The Gate for the first time in this version, except his sprite never loaded. I was just shooting at empty air with a health bar. He did still die, so it didn't break the game, but drat. Also, once you actually get in to The Depths poo poo starts getting a lot framier a lot more often. The fight with Mom was loving slowdown city. Gonna take back my earlier words here; buy the PC version if you're desperate. Wait and pray there's an optimization patch in a few weeks or something if you're wanting to play on your 3DS.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

They might as well go whole hog and do Sonic 3 and Knuckles, if they go that route. I mean, come on, why would you want to play plain old Sonic 3 when you could also do it as Knuckles?! Plus I wouldn't want to see them do Sonic and Knuckles by itself. Sonic 3 and Knuckles or bust!

I remember a few months back when these got announced someone posted a really cool interview with the guys who did the remastered versions of Sonic CD and whatnot about how wacky the graphic structure was in Sonic 3 and why it might make a big, huge pain in the rear end to make in 3D. I'm having trouble finding it at the moment, but hopefully someone else remembers as well and still has the link handy.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Seriously PoR sells for around $200 USD

I mean an actual dungeon like the Lagdou Ruins or whatever they were called

Holy loving poo poo, really? I've got a copy of that sitting on my shelf I picked up a few months back for like, 35 bucks. Never got around to playing it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, turns out kmart doesn't delete pages, just kinda hides them or something like that which is why you needed a specific link to find it.

It was actually findable via search on Friday night. The page was removed from the listings early Saturday.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

If I wanted to get a gameboy, I should get a GB Advance, SP, right? This + a new 3ds would allow me to play the entire handheld library, if I am reading things correctly.

The SP has a better screen than the non SP?

If this is correct, how much should I look to spend?

If you're going with an SP, make sure to get an AGS-101 model. It's got the proper backlit screen as opposed to a frontlit one and looks a hundred times better. Should run you in the ballpark of 30-40 bucks. The stock colors for the 101 were a dark grey (noticably different from the black SP), pearl pink and a baby blue.

EDIT: here's a picture showing the difference in screen quality.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Are those the only three colors?

Wikipedia says there's also a spongebob model and a "limited edition pokemon" one, but pickings were limited. One of those late-model redesigns nintendo likes to do.

EDIT: seeing above, the reasons I mentioned those is the original AGS-001 is the one with the frontlit screen. There's a fuckload of colors for that one, but only the later model AGS-101s have the nice backlit screen instead of the mediocre one.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Dehry posted:

Give it some time. They have to find a good replacement.

Just give me the Nintendo Puppet Update every couple of months.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

There really needs to be some way to trade/sell materials you have no use for.

Walk behind the counter and talk to the shopkeeper to the right of the clothes shop. He'll buy materials.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I've put more than 200 hours into it and I still haven't cleared every song on every difficulty, although that's partially since I played a lot of multiplayer which didn't count towards clears.

If you're a fan of FF and its music, that game is pretty much a dream come true.

I don't actually like most of the Final Fantasy games, but the music is good enough to stand on it's own merits for a rhythm game. Love the hell out of Theatrhythm.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Variable_H posted:

I've been waiting for this moment since this thing was announced.

System transfer done, Zelda cover plates installed, Red & Blue games and themes downloaded. :yoshi:

The thing I think I hate the most about this release is that I cannot find a single goddamn regular n3ds accessory in any store. No screen protectors, no pocket cases, not even a goddamn TPU clear cover. Gotta order everything from ebay or play-asia.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Variable_H posted:

Yeah, that likely won't change unless Nintendo starts selling these things as standalone systems and not in these game bundles. The lack of accessories available in stores doesn't bother me since i don't use any of that stuff, but it sounds like a right pain in the rear end for everyone that does.

I've just heard a lot of talk that the coverplates are very scratch-happy, and I'd rather not ruin them keeping them in my pocket if I can help it. I'm not asking for the full run or anything, but throwing people a couple little bones while buying a "collectors" system sure would be nice.

Oh well, it'll survive a few days.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

enojy posted:

Nintendo hosed up in this regard. There's some brand (Illumishield I think?) that sells N3DS screen protectors on Amazon for like $7 and I highly recommend them. Any soft case made for the XL still fits the smaller model well enough.

Play-Asia has hori n3ds ones for like, 6 bucks a piece as well. I just grabbed a couple sets for Oyster and I.

http://m.play-asia.com/standard-film-for-new-3ds/13/70876t

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, not in 10.6.

They did find a workaround for it, but it looks like a royal pain in the rear end. Give me a minute and I'll pull it up.

@smealum
yellows8 just published his browser version check bypass. will let you use browserhax on firmware versions <=10.5 !
https://t.co/74onhIBx5A

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 29, 2016

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Olivil posted:

Less or equal to 10.5.

Ah gently caress, you're right. My reading comprehension needs some work.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

In my everlong quest to refresh the nintendo store until the Boo faceplates show back up, I found this, which is new to the US store as far as I remember. K.K. Slider faceplates for n3DS

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...oryId=cat600792

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This week's NA SNES games are Mario Kart, Earthbound and DKC and this week's PAL-land SNES games are Super Metroid and LTTP (with the same first-week promo).

We don't get these for another 2 weeks. 3 games every 3 weeks. So no Earthbound until the 24th iirc.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Is Yoshi's New Island worth $16?

I got it for free from club Nintendo and still somehow feel ripped off.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

This is probably a stupid request, but if anybody has a couple empty n3ds faceplate plastic shells (the packaging, basically) laying around they don't mind being rid of for a few bucks, shoot me a PM or something. Since I got the pokemon bundle, I have two sets of plates with nothing to keep them in, and I'd like to be able to store them with the rest if at all possible.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

mirthdefect posted:

Yeah I'm too cheap to pay for the nintendo ones but I'd probably be down for that one.

The handful of third party ones I've seen on eBay/Amazon/Etsy are actually more expensive than the Nintendo ones in a lot of cases.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

HenryEx posted:

I stand corrected then. Why Ninty would need a NNID for free apps but not paid apps though, nobody knows.

I'd bet a lot of it is to keep people from being able to cheat their rather idiotic "limited use" demo system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

The New Regular 3DS is slightly larger than the original, with slightly larger screens. Still considerably smaller than. The XL though.

I went and grabbed my wife's XL and my standard n3ds real quick for these. It's honestly not as significant as you'd expect. I'm a huge fan of the standard size myself.