Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dongsweep posted:

Outrage and Beyond Outrage are awesome. They are Beat Takeshi's first yakuza films in (I believe) over a decade and they are fantastic.

They were great and I definitely think you should watch them back to back if possible.

My only problem with them at all was the sort of VP crime boss who went against the head guy didn't really seem to have any motivation at all for betraying the family. That just kinda seemed not to fit and he was just being the bad guy for the movie to have a bad guy. Did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leper Residue posted:

Oh new thread! I get to recommend The Man From Nowhere. It's an awesome korean movie that is bascially Taken, but not for pansies. It is seriously probably my favorite movie. Just such great fight scenes. It's dark, it's actiony, it's cool as poo poo.

Yeah this was a really cool film, slow buildup then some sweet martial arts scenes. Interesting that there were a few knife fights which were very well choreographed and not something you see a lot of in that sort of film.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I was thinking of making a list of horror movies up on streaming since it's a new thread. Would anyone be interested, or should I spend my time doing something else?

Please do. My wife won't watch horror so I don't keep up with what's good anymore. Would be nice to have a go to list to turn to on nights she's not around.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Sup, TFF homie with a sissy spouse. :smith::hf::black101:

A yup, she's good about watching / tolerating everything else but that. Each their own I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I gave Nightwatch a chance a few years ago and just didn't 'get' it. I'm not averse to some cultural wierdness in foreign films but it was just odd. Especially the video game fight scenes. Can anyone suggest why I should give it another go or am I just better off moving on?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Someone mentioned Cool Runnings is leaving soon, and I rewatched it last night . It's a fun Disney family movie that still holds up very well with John Candy playing the straight man coach. I haven't met anyone that dislikes this movie.

Same. It's campy, fun and cheesy but all runs together in a nice way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Sonatine is one of the most beautifully shot movies I have ever seen. Dark, funny, heartwarming. Violent. People have been recommending it for years in these threads and I should have listened to them earlier. Easily in my top 20 of all time, maybe top 10.

Is it on netflix again? It wasn't a month ago.

I just watched A Company Man and it was a very well shot and cool looking film overall. The story wasn't bad but a bit predictable but I mean you should know what to expect when getting into Gangster movies at this point.

There was one action scene that kind of felt flat and also didn't look near as good as the rest of the film. It's almost like someone else shot it or they used different cameras and direction for it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I'm actually sort of impressed at how off the mark my top picks are. I've had Netflix since before streaming was around, watched and rated hundreds of things, and they still find a way to make a list of only things I actively dislike or have zero interest in.

Same.

I've literally never watched a single stand-up comedy show on Netflix yet it constantly pushes them into my picks, 'things you may like', 'because you watched X' etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a film on Netflix currently called Charlie Victor Romeo. It takes transcripts of black box audio and has a cast act out those transcripts almost verbatim while sat in a mock cockpit. It's from an apparently successful play of the same name, and I couldn't stop watching it. I don't know whether to recommend it or not because the source material is real and it's so well done it might be upsetting for some people.

after each segment, a title card appears, with the information about the accident we just witnessed. This includes the reason the plane crashed (BIRD STRIKE, for example), and the number of survivors. Some of the segments are very short, because disaster strikes quickly, but a couple of them seem to take ages to go from normal to OH gently caress and the parts in between are incredibly hard to watch but even more difficult to look away from.

That sounds pretty uncomfortable / intense. Interesting premise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

forever whatever posted:

Just watched There Will Be Blood for the first time and drat, Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day Lewis are forces of nature. It was fascinating watching Daniel's character managed to have entire towns bend to his will in moving towards his capitalist vision. The other actors did well too but it really is Lewis's movie. I can't believe it took me this many years to watch it.

Any recommendations on films that have protaganists/antiheroes that are complete misanthropes a la DD Lewis's character in There Will Be Blood? I always seem to identify with characters like that in film and in fiction. Thanks.

Taxi Driver comes to mind.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Directors cut of Amadeus is still up on Netflix and you should all loving watch it because it is beautiful, hilarious and well acted all around. Really still a treasure of a film after all these years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

InterrupterJones posted:

Ooh, now THAT is one of those movies I haven't seen in years, but would love to give a re-watch. Are there any huge changes in the director's cut? Ideally, I'd like a change where Tom Hulce wins the Oscar instead of F. Murray Abraham.

There's an entire subplot in two scenes that were added back and a pretty rough scene with Salieri and Mozart's wife. I had never seen either before. They were good but dispensible for the regular cut for sure. I loved both actors but Abraham just kills it in this film.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cyberia posted:

It doesn't need to be on Netflix specifically but I couldn't find a 'recommend a movie thread' sooo can anyone recommend a good movie to watch as part of a double feature with Die Hard?

Seconding Point Break. Maybe The Last Boy Scout or Bad Boys. Also obvious Die Hard 2

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I really like alton brown (god I wish netflix still had all of good eats on it. and how it's made.) but after a while I got a bit frustrated at cutthroat kitchen and how people got legit hosed over in unrecoverable ways a large chunk of the time

Reality shows where the assholes win instead of getting a comeuppance aren't my thing + cooking shows where they can't actually cook things as well as they could also bug me!

Chopped's fun, though.

Good Eats is up on YouTube

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cat doter posted:

what's the editing on the fight scenes like? it's not a lot of fast cuts and shaky cam is it? that always ruins fight scenes for me

In the 2nd or 3rd episode there's a long take fight scene with a slowly roving camera that goes down for like 3 mins straight that is just superb. It reminded me of the "going up the hotel ramp" scene from Ong Bak a bit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Cool. It's hard to judge whether something might be good after reading opinions on sa, especially if people are invested in the original material, because that always sways opinion one way or the other.

If you aren't interested in two episodes you probably won't ever be. No prior knowledge or interest in the comics is needed at all though. Think of it as a good kung fu movie or that level of expectation and you probably won't be dissatisfied.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

She didn't even realise it was the same guy

I didn't either till it was just mentioned. Heh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Both good but I think the edge goes to Rome in terms of writing and acting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

There's a few things it has that Netflix doesn't, but a whole lot of overlap. It's good for the HBO stuff, and the few other poo poo like Veronica Mars or whatever, other than that I'd say take a free month or two or three and then eh gently caress it.

They have a lot of overlap.

Seconding this. If you want to watch some of HBOs older shows it's good for that but if you're not enjoying Amazon Prime for the non-video reasons and have Netflix and/or HBO Go it's probably not worth it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hot Fuzz just came up on Netflix.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hell yeah.

Bad Boys 2 is up as well, but unfortunately not Point Break. You can't quite have the ultimate triple-feature.

During the course of the movie I discovered my wife was watched neither Point Break nor Bad Boys 2. Our marriage isn't going so well now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you've never seen this, or even if you have, watch it. It's for THE GREATER GOOD.

the greater good

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Romancing the Stone is pretty fun and held up fairly well for being an earlier 80's movie.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

If you liked the movie Seven, you will adore True Detective.

I'm from around the area True Detective was filmed and it was probably the 1st Louisiana themed show on cable in years that didn't make me cringe constantly and have to explain to people how bullshit it was.

Fictional plot elements aside, the accents, scenery and all the extras were very well cast and the entire show was a big wave of nostalgia for someone who grew up there during the 80's and 90's. Anyway, very solid and strange mystery series. One of the more interesting things I've watched in a few years.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Speaking of horrors in space, Jason X was pretty rad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

K. Waste posted:

Also Miller's Crossing is loving fantastic. One of my favorite films of all time.

Same, it's easily in my top 5 / top 3 across all genres.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Show me the sea aliens.
_________/

(for whatever reason this cracked me up)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

If you wanna go with biopic Oscar winners then Ghandi pretty much owns.

I don't like that Forrest Gump won over The Shawshank Redemption but to be honest I don't even remember what else that year would be in the running.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The year Pulp Fiction famously got robbed of everything.

That's right. It was it and Four Weddings and a Funeral. Speaking of Four Weddings, watched that again and man does it suck.

There's like 2 well acted scenes in the whole thing and the rest is just watching the 2 main characters being loathesome.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't like War of the Worlds but I think I'm kinda in the minority on that at this point.

Eh, it could have been much better. About half the movie just didn't flow well / didn't fit together great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

E.T., Close Encounters and War of The Worlds fit together really, really nicely.

Huh. I felt like ET and Close Encounters were far far better than War of the Worlds. To a pretty big extent.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I actually don't like ET or Close Encounters very much either. But they are both still good!

Thinking about it, Close Encounters could be a pretty ideal flick for a remake. It's still really good but a lot of the stuff in it is pretty dated now. You could add in a whole new angle of terrorism / government abuse of authority to really punch up the ultimately positive parts of the storyline.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Raiders is probably in my top 3 best of all time anything movies ever. Just a perfect film to me.

How did ya'll feel about War Horse? I still haven't gotten around to seeing it but have meant to.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looking back at Spielbergs wiki I forgot about Empire of the Sun and really dug that one as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Why the gently caress would you want to do that to Close Encounters? That sounds loving miserable.

Just more thinking that of the many films he did that one is pretty badly dated (along with ET) and while still being really good definitely suffers from lots of stuff being 70's / early 80's as hell.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

computer parts posted:

X-Files is really really dated.

So is Close Encounters but it's still rad.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Any opinion about Turn on Netflix? Watched the 1st 2 episodes and it seems decent so far. The story is interesting enough so far and the acting is passable for a TV series I guess?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Since I didn't get any good recommendations for police/murder shows, I watched The Following. I blame all of you, you fucks. I'm never getting that brainspace back.

Did you watch Low Winter Sun yet? Pretty decent IMO.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

alansmithee posted:

I know my view's fully in the minority, but I can think of 10 cop shows off the top of my head I think were just plain better. That said I'm hopeful for the new season.

Not being a dick but what would a couple of those shows be? Curious because I'd like to check some out if I haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So I finished up season 1 of Turn and yeah it was pretty good. Didn't know at the time that just about all of the people (aside from the Generals) were also historical figures in their own right. I figured that most of the cast would just be made up people set in the times.