Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The other thread was over three years old and almost 600 posts so it was probably about time for a new one. Simply put this is a thread to find out what's good on streaming and to tell others what you think is good on streaming. Whether it's Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube or whatever else is out there, if there's something worth watching on anything, let us know in here!

To get you started here's a post from late in the last thread:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

There are a million great movies on Netflix - Battleship Potemkin, Fargo, The Master, The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover, Annie Hall, Gomorrah, The Graduate, The Producers, Days of Being Wild, Valhalla Rising, In Bruges, Sunset Boulevard, Slacker, Galaxy Quest, The Comedy, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Heathers, In the Loop, Grosse Pointe Blank, City of God, Terminator 2, Trainspotting, Days of Heaven, The Trial, Dead Man, Bronson, The Fifth Element, Once Upon a Time in the West, All About Eve, Nostalghia, Glengarry Glen Ross, Y Tu Mama Tambien, The Apartment, Almost Famous, Metropolis, The Odd Couple, High Noon, eXistenZ, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence, Exit Through the Gift Shop, Super, The Good, The Bad, and the Weird, OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies, OSS 117: Lost in Rio, Upstream Color, Faust, Jerry Maguire, Black Hawk Down, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Our Hospitality, Strike, Manhunter, The Bicycle Thief, Django Unchained, Seven, Reservoir Dogs, Assault on Precinct 13, Clue, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Grey, Stand by Me, Ordinary People, ENcounters at the End of the World, Amores Perros, The General, Mission: Impossible, Shane, Becket, 99 River Street, On Golden Pond, Sling Blade, Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell, Bastards!, The Hunt, Stories We Tell, Holy Motors, The Rabbi's Cat, Melancholia, Oslo, August 31st, Weekend, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Carlos, Armadillo, The Order of Myths, Time and Winds, The Sun, The Return, Russian Ark, Code Unknown, Hoop Dreams, Sherman's March, Mauvais Sang, Alice, Bad Timing, 3 Women, The Conformist, Man with a Movie Camera, Coriolanus... they just can't figure out how to let people find them.

And here are some suggestions of my own (all of these are on Netflix).

Venus In Fur
I have recommended this movie alot over the last year and I think putting it in the OP of a topic will mark the end of me doing that. As of the writing of this OP 50 Shades of Grey is doing really well but how about an actual good movie about S+M. Adapted from a play that's about trying to make a play that's an adaptation of a book that is credited in creating masochism, the play not only explores S+M and what it actually means in relation to people, it also explores art and how it's related to the people that make it. This is pretty much, from what I can tell, a straight adaptation from the play. It's very simple: just two actors on a single set for the entire play. The fact that it's made by Roman Polanski adds something to it just in what the content means. It's also good to see Polanaski doing mainly psychological stuff again. If you're the type that can't stomach a Polanski film, this film will do you know favors, but for everyone else I'd say you should watch it.

It's Such a Beautiful Day
If you were to tell me that the creator of Rejected was going to make one of the best films of the last 10 years, I'd at least be a little surprised. I mean Rejected is great in all, but still, really? Really. Despite it's simple stick figure appearance and silly start this is a surprisingly emotional film that packs a really strong punch. Just watch it. You will not regret doing so.

Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special
Maria Bamford is an odd comedian and not for everybody, but god drat this is a good special. Filmed in her own house with her parents as her only audience, in this Maria talks about many things but in the end starts zeroing in on mental health and how we treat those that are mentally ill. She's really up front about her own struggles with severe depression and gets some very dark very poignant humor out of it.

Gideon's Army
A documentary that focuses on the hell that it is to be a public defender. It's one of those docs that's the right combination of being really inspiring but also being depressing as hell. It will probably leave you pretty angry by the end.

Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus
This movie is a very accurate portrayal of college age kids who think they are really interesting when they do drugs. It makes for a funny an awkward movie where not alot happens. Also features Micheal Cera doing a really good job playing against type.

V/H/S
I like found footage films alot. This is my favorite found footage film. It's fuckin' rad.

I think that's a pretty good start.

Oh, also if you want to change regions to see other regions Netflix or whatever, Hola is the extension of choice I believe. Netflix said they might start cracking down on this but last I checked it still works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Your efforts to not spoil those movies is kind of betrayed by their titles.

Those are both good movies that go well together though. I particularly like the latter because it's a movie that really makes you question what value the truth actually has.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People should just watch Heathers.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you made a good horror movie list, I'd edit it into the OP.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man with the Iron Fists might be the worst kung fu movie I've ever seen. It's certainly the dullest.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Are the actual fight scenes any good in Man with the Iron Fists?

Not really. There also aren't all that many of them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Your 13 year old self is extremely wrong about Patch Adams.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would not recommend ABC's of Death 1 under any circumstances.

Pretty much this. It's a bizarrely bad film. I think everyone goes in thinking "surely not every one of these is bad. There's some good filmmakers here so there must be something here worthwhile", but no. It's pretty much all bad. There's a few that are passable but I think if those had to stand on their own rather than surrounded by just the worst crap then even they would be underwhelming at best.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Change the title.

Why?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Watch the original, then watch Robocop 2, then don't watch the new one.

This but don't watch Robocop 2 either.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Robocop 2 is a bad imitation of the first one. The satire is now incredibly broad to the point of being uninteresting and it kind of took the dark humor of the first and just made it jokey, which would be okay I guess but it's also really not funny. Yes, it is WAY better than Robocop 3 but that's true of most movies. Being better than Robocop 3 is not a reason to watch a movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I second that.

I'll third. Motion passes. ABCs of Death is garbage.

Seriously though, as I said earlier, I was downright shocked at how bad that movie turned out. The best segments there are mediocre and the worst are borderline unwatchable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Also Boondocks season 4 is finally up. If you haven't been watching that show, you hosed up.

In the other hand Boondocks mostly hasn't been worth watching since season 1.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To go into more detail, the first season of Boondocks was mostly good with a only like two dismal episodes (one of which, the MLK one, people seem to really like for some reason). After that though it went downhill pretty dramatically. There was still an occasional good episode but the plot mainly became the same few unfunny things over and over again. Most episodes can be broken down to "My Mary Sue looks down on those crazy black people", "Tom is not black enough and should be mocked", "Women? Amirite???", "Ruckus is a horrible person" and "extended, not really all that funny kung fu movie parody". It says alot that out of all of those the Ruckus ones were the most watchable.

I gave up after McGruder left. The show seemed as obnoxious as ever but without that little bit of soul it still had left. I just couldn't bring myself to watch anymore.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
He rules in Children's Hospital and he also doesn't play a d-bag (well not all the time).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

Dredd is secretly a boring movie.

Your not secretly someone with bad taste in movies :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Immortals is terrible but it's totally worth watching. I think it's probably the best looking bad movie I've ever seen. Tarsem needs to make more movies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

Looking for something legitimately crazy? BRANDED is on Netflix streaming and it is next-level bonkers.

It's also confusingly terrible. Like it doesn't make sense how a movie can turn out bad in the ways that movie is bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think you nailed it. I thought the concept sounded great and somebody explained it to me as They Live meets that one Treehouse of Horror bit with Paul Anka. Instead it turned out to be a less visually stimulating Escape From Tomorrow without even the gimmick of being shot in Disney.

This is what I wrote about it in the movie rating thread

Branded F
This might be the stupidest movie I've ever seen in my entire life. I don't like marketing and advertising at all so it's really not hard to appeal to me with a movie that's against those concepts but this movie just doesn't know anything about anything. Marketing as it's portrayed in this is so removed from how it actually exists that the movie ends up saying nothing because there isn't a thing it's trying to say can be applied to reality.

It's a movie that just says stuff that it assumes is true. A character with a straight face gives a speech about how Lenin created marketing. What the gently caress are you talking about Branded? Is there anyone on Earth that wouldn't see that and go "I'm pretty sure that's bullshit..."? The dialogue in general is amongst some of the worst I've ever seen.

The movie is so silly and so nonsensical that I almost want to like it but no, it just ends up just being boring and it makes me side with marketing which is a position I hate this movie so much for putting me in. I mean how am I supposed to react when the evil marketer's evil plan is making it so people are no longer ashamed to be fat? Am I supposed to be aghast at the concept that fat people in this society aren't ashamed of themselves anymore? This movie doesn't even really ever make a case of why marketing is bad beyond a brief and bad "it makes you want stuff you don't need".

Nothing in this movie makes sense and it's all so terribly proud of itself that I just want to punch it. It's put together in such a nonsensical, haphazard way. The editing is terrible and it often does annoying things for no good reason. Oh and the acting is bad too. It's not entirely the actors fault given the awful dialogue they have to work with but everyone is just bland and the romantic part of the plot is as badly handled as can be, never really showing why these characters like each other so much.

I just...this is a bad movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Are there any sites renting It Follows? I was gonna go see it today until I realized it's only playing in NY and Hollywood. Seems like one of those movies that would have a streaming release but I'm not seeing anything.

I think it goes on demand on the 27th.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

With a name like that, it would have to be brilliant or absolute dogshit.

If I recall correctly it's about a man with a talking penis so you be the judge which category it probably falls into.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I miss King Missile...

I will note that I haven't actually seen the penis movie, but I'm also not sure if that smart remark was actually directed at me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just know the concept because I'm the type of guy where if there's a movie about a talking penis, I've at least heard about.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Arononofsky won after the studio tried multiple awful cuts that audiences hated even more. I haven't seen the movie but I also heard that the movie also isn't as crazy as some of the rumors indicated it might end up being.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Akarshi posted:

I just watched Antichrist . drat...what was that all about? Is the final takeaway that humans are evil and nature can bring it out? There are lots of inverted biblical analogies in it, but what does it add up to? Also, it's pretty easy to read as misogynistic, but at the same time thinking it's misogynistic seems too 'easy', like Lars is deliberately courting this sort of response - especially with the hiring of a misogyny consultant.

Antichrist is mostly a movie about severe depression. The main character is a woman so her self hatred manifests in extreme misogyny. She is convinced that she is evil to the core. She believes every aspect of herself is irredeemably bad. She is a woman, therefore women are evil.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's still a god damned tragedy that the second At the Movies went off the air Disney took down the site they had which contained pretty much everything Ebert did while they owned the show. You can still find alot of clips online of stuff but nothing that comes close to the content that site had.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a film on Netflix currently called Charlie Victor Romeo. It takes transcripts of black box audio and has a cast act out those transcripts almost verbatim while sat in a mock cockpit. It's from an apparently successful play of the same name, and I couldn't stop watching it. I don't know whether to recommend it or not because the source material is real and it's so well done it might be upsetting for some people.

after each segment, a title card appears, with the information about the accident we just witnessed. This includes the reason the plane crashed (BIRD STRIKE, for example), and the number of survivors. Some of the segments are very short, because disaster strikes quickly, but a couple of them seem to take ages to go from normal to OH gently caress and the parts in between are incredibly hard to watch but even more difficult to look away from.

Oh poo poo! That movies up? That movie rules. I got to see it in the original 3D (yes it was made in 3D for some reason). It was also a bad movie to watch the night before flying back from Sundance.

Still, that's a movie I never expected others to be able to see. For what is just a few actors on a minimal set with all just real dialogue, it can be intense as gently caress. There's one lengthy segment in there which might be one of the more harrowing sequences I've seen.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's an option for watching stuff without needing the internet. It's called buying it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge fan of the V/H/S series and Viral is just sort of okay I guess. The wrap around segment is garbage. It ranks amongst the worst found footage films I've ever seen (and I have seen some really bad found footage films). The first segment is badly made but fun. The second segment is actually pretty good but still would rank, at best, as slightly better than the worst segment from the other films and the last segment has some really good bits but also has some pretty boring bits. It's not the worst movie but it sure as hell isn't as good as the other two.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell the term "monkey cheese" comes from Control Alt Delete where he would have a character that would just spout random nonsense in place of humor, with popular words being used being "monkey" and "cheese". It refers to a very particular thing where randomness is being used in place of humor. It has gained the expanded, less useful definition of being used to refer to any random or wacky humor.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

I believe that the "randomest" thing I've seen on Netflix is Rubber

I watched the first ten minutes or so and then thought, "No, I'm not ready for this"

See, that's not really random at all. It's really bad and dumb but it's all very deliberate in the way that it's bad and dumb.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Secluded cabin movies: Hollow, Resolution.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

The Wall is 2 hours of nothing but that.

I was just trying to remember the name of this. I obviously couldn't because my brain already associates that name with another movie.

I really wanted to like that movie more. I think it could have been great if it had been ballsy enough to have no voice over. Without it, it could have been a slow and largely dialogue free movie that I feel I could have drawn some pretty cool themes from. The voice over however kind of ruins this by shoving some really, really dumb themes down the viewers throat making it clear that the movie is just kind of uninteresting at best, and dumb at the worst.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

I really liked it for being two hours of scenery porn; the German mountain countryside is incredibly beautiful. I didn't mind the voice over but yeah, removing it would have made for a more thoughtful movie.

I also couldn't remember the name but it was still on my watch list :v:

Looking back at my reaction at the time, I think my view of it has just soured over time. My initial reactions were pretty positive because, as you noted, it's a really god damned pretty movie and it does do alot of things correctly. I think it's just my memory of that stuff has faded and all that's remained has been memories of going on about how man is evil because it chooses to kill unlike animals and blah blah blah :rolleyes:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just got an e-mail saying season 4 of Bob's Burgers is up on Netflix. Watch it. It's real good. It's at least as good as season 3 and at some points it's probably better.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been holding my tongue through most of the V/H/S dissing, I do have to say it's weird to hear someone say that in the movies they had no idea where stuff was or who was talking. I mean, I'm more used to the genre than most but...really? I found those aspects pretty easy to follow along with. Like I can't think of a single segment where that was a problem.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i thought the first two were easy enough to follow, but apart from the parallel universe segment, V/H/S 3 is amost completely incomprehensible.

Even then I think I could follow those pretty easily, outside of the framing segment which was just a mess.

Some of those had other huge problems, but they weren't really related to how comprehensible they were.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The line between found footage movie and mockumentary can sometimes be very thin.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Whoop Dreams is an amazing name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Happy birthday, Mister President!

I just looked that up and :stare:

Maybe it's best I don't rewatch that movie anytime soon.