Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mover posted:

The Game is up on Netflix. One of David Fincher's less appreciated films, but it's neck and neck with Zodiac for my favorite thing he's done (working with the same cinematographer on both!).

Honestly I feel like it's the film that most captures the mania and paranoia of a Philip K Dick novel more than any actual adaptation of his work ever has, if that sounds appealing. It's draped in shadows, intelligently plotted, and everything down to the sound design feeds into itself wonderfully. I'd recommend going in as blind as you can, as it is fairly twisty, but in the end the film is really about atmosphere and a killer lead performance from Michael Douglas.

That premise definitely sounds like PKD and I’m gonna check this out now, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Franchescanado posted:

Demons, Demons 2, Primal Screen, Magic, In The Mouth of Madness, Run Lola Run, The Host, Triangle, Creepshow 2, Single White Female, Dark Matter, Pi, Re-Animator, Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser 2, Downrange, Blood & Black Lace, Tenebrae, Phenomena, Murder Party, Ms. 45, Street Trash, The Wicker Man, The Fog, Best Worst Movie, Big Bad Wolves, Hobo With A Shotgun, You're So Cool Brewster, Never Sleep Again, Camp Crystal Lake Memories, Noroi The Curse, Ghostwatch, He Took His Skin Off For Me, The Asphyx

I don’t mind the Asphyx, but it’s definitely a weak boring movie. The only memorable parts are the unnecessarily intricate ways they go about risking their lives (that guillotine lmao) and the goofy puppet that they only shot for ten seconds and then looped over and over.

Oh and that lovely mask at the end

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Looking over Shudder's catalog for the first time, I can vouch for the following that haven't been mentioned yet;

V/H/S - Solid anthology with only one clunker
The Gate - 80's, cool creature effects
Still/Born - Not the best, but a decent creepy flick with a quick Michael Ironside scene
Monsters - Pre-Godzilla Gareth Edwards, but a much stronger monster flick
John Carpenter's Vampires - This movie is definitely bad, but James Woods is entertaining and you can always fall back on that Carpenter score
House (1986) - Goofy haunted house movie with George Wendt and a bizarre ending
Escape From Tomorrow - I'm not telling you anything except it was mostly filmed guerilla-style at Disney World and Disneyland and the cast is banned for life
Christmas Evil - Go in blind
Beyond the Black Rainbow - I still don't know what to make of this film, but it's got a great look and the director is about to release another batshit movie with Nic Cage

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

precision posted:

Kinda sad they don't have House 2: The Second Story, which is an amazing failure of a weird movie.

It’s there, it’s just listed as House II.

I bought the Arrow Video releases for both on a whim, but I haven’t watched the second one yet. The third and fourth films looked awful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Has anyone else watched Missions on Shudder? Binged the whole thing yesterday and I’m still not sure what to make of it. It’s like the French lovechild of Mission to Mars and Interstellar starring an extremely incompetent group of astronauts. There’s even a very heavy-handed and poorly written c-plot reminiscent of Guy Pearce’s plot in Prometheus. The plot comparisons with Mission to Mars in particular were driving me nuts.

- 1st Martian crew finds something weird on Mars that kills them all, 2nd crew is a rescue mission
- Husband/wife astronauts where the husband dies on the way to mars after saving the rest of the crew
- Crew lands on Mars, but the ship is hosed
- 1st Mars crew is killed by odd Martian force because they used the wrong method to access an ancient Martian secret, 2nd crew discovers dna-related data that allows them safe access
- Face on Mars that leads them to a hidden Martian temple
- Crew discovers Mars is the ancient origin of all humanity
- Ancient martians were wiped out by calamity, colonized prehistoric Earth
- One crewmember is ‘destined’ to come to Mars and ends up staying behind

Even the intro seems to be aping The Expanse.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 29, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

So my fever dream where Mission to Mars and Red Planet were the same film is true?

Nah, Red Planet had that weird plot where the robot dog was hunting them and humans were trying to terraform Mars with bugs.

I love Mars movies, but they’re almost all universally terrible. There’s maybe two or three exceptions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lycus posted:

Which is the one where the "face" is a real face? Or is that a third movie?

Pretty sure The Martian is going to be the only Mars movie anyone will remember.

Mission to Mars has a literal Face on Mars that’s revealed via dust storm to be a building of some sort.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a basically forgotten technicolor film, but it’s really great and goofy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

My favorite Cage film ever!

Aside from one scene towards the end, it really is Cage’s best freakout movie. What’s even better is that the best scene in the movie still hasn’t been turned into a meme and run into the ground like the “I’m a vampire, I’m a vampire!” scene or his insane faces. It was a nice little surprise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

So far season 8 of TWD is one of the worst things I’ve ever seen put to film. It’s sort of incredible how bad this show is at this point. I can’t look away

Is it even worth hate-watching at this point? I think I stopped right after Coral died and I haven’t missed watching it at all. I almost expect it to improve after Andrew Lincoln leaves since he’s been the weakest link in the last 3+ seasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nihonniboku posted:

You lasted longer than I did.

That was actually the second time I stopped watching. I originally gave up during the first excruciatingly boring Alexandria season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

Hard to say. I honestly half assed watch it in the background when I'm working on other projects to gawk at how stupid it is. Might be painful to try and actually sit down and absorb. On the other hand it's so loving stupid I almost want to say yeah. If you quit when Coral totally didn't die at all you have no idea what your in for. it gets so, so much worse.

When I gave up he had just been bitten by a zombie and was basically confirmed to die. Did he seriously come back from that?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

He got shot in the eyeball and just put on an eyepatch in the next episode and beyond

edit: wait. unless you are further along than I am. I'm watching season 8 that just went up on netflix and only like 3 eps in so maybe that happens after?

poo poo, I honestly thought what I was talking about had happened earlier than season 8. Sorry about that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

It's ok I don't really care what happens on the show at all. I'm more disappointed that you've already seen all of the Tiger/negan hijinks that I lovingly described than anything else.

I read the comics for an embarrassing length of time before giving up on those as well, so all of the Ezekiel insanity was expected.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just a reminder that Over the Garden Wall is still streaming on Hulu and October is pretty much the perfect time to watch it. The whole series is less than two hours and it’s got a great voice cast.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Man in the High Castle season 3 dropped today on Amazon Prime. I’m only two episodes in, but it’s just as solid as the last two seasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

I liked Mandy but it was very much style over substance. I enjoyed looking at it more than cared about what was going on. I was a little disappointed by it too, but I thought it was far from bad.

:agreed:

It's very much worth a watch, especially if you're able to see it in theaters. I'd recommend sitting closer to the screen than usual and just let the visuals envelop your entire periphery.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Inspector Hound posted:

Each season of AHS is a different story though, with maybe some of the same cast, right? I'll offer a lukewarm defense because Ive only seen Asylum, but i loved it to death the way they crammed so much into one season (i was officially not going to stop watching once freakin aliens from space showed up out of nowhere)

Some seasons bleed into others though, and the upcoming (current?) season is a direct follow-up to seasons 1 & 3.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

pseudorandom name posted:

I find it hard to believe that anything can have a worse UI than Amazon Prime.

Shudder

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Asnorban posted:

The first short was my least favorite, but it builds well from there. And even then, the first short had some great stuff in it and I think it would support an entire movie. It was more Hail, Caesar style Coen Brothers than I expected. I want an entire movie of the Tom Waits segment.

The writing was up to Coen Brothers norm, and had some incredibly memorable moments. The cinematography / budget felt like it took a noticeable “for Netflix” hit. Some good looking stuff in there, but not as much “wow” as I expected from another Coen western.

I didn’t care for the James Franco segment, but I could watch an entire season of Stephen Root as the insane “POT-SHOT!” bank teller.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Ammanas posted:

the first segment of Skruggs is incredibly good. its some weird tex avery twist

A Will Rogers cowboy going full hard-R Sabata Western without missing a beat is a thing of beauty

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

loudog999 posted:

I'm off today and am planning on binging through some of the new MST3K while playing Diablo. Is the first season worth it or should I skip to the second? I'm excited about the Mac and Me episode.

The second season is a marked improvement, but you should definitely check out Cry Wilderness and Carnival Magic from season 1.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Frog Act posted:

Thanks for the recommendations about Aliens like movies last time dudes, I’ve got another one. What are yalls favorite sci fi movies from 1950-1990? I watched Logan’s Run, Escape From New York, Soylent Green, Omega Man, Running Man, A Boy and His Dog, and both invasions of the body snatchers, among other things. Tonight I was thinking of watching THX 1138 if it’s any good

I’ve got Netflix and prime

I have no idea if any of these are streaming, but allow me to rattle off a couple dozen suggestions:

Forbidden Planet
They Live
It Came From Outer Space
Solaris
Godzilla vs Hedorah
King Kong vs Godzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Biollante
Reanimator
Bride of Re-Animator
From Beyond
Buckaroo Banzai
The Blob
Phantasm
Dune
The Brood
The Return of the Living Dead
Brazil
Nausicaa of The Valley of The Wind
Blade Runner

Some of these are more horror than sci-fi, but you’ve already watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so I think they’ll meet your criteria.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Robot Wendigo posted:

It is? It definitely feels like a PKD story. Which one?

”Second Variety”, one of his early short stories.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I’ve never even heard of Jane the Virgin, much less seen it advertised on the Netflix app. Is it set in Texas?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Pottersville was a turd in case you’re an idiot like me and try new Christmas movies.

What is a good one that I haven’t seen 500 times?

Christmas Evil

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

NBCUniversal is going to do their own streaming service, apparently.

And then they’ll pull The Office from Netflix and make it exclusive to their new streaming site and the backlash will be incredible. It has to be one of the most rewatched shows on the service.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

DrNutt posted:

Smug is an absurdly subjective metric and probably says a lot more about the person claiming something is "smug" than the work itself, hth

e: :colbert:

:agreed:

There’s nothing smug at all about The Twilight Zone. In the late 50s/early 60’s a lot of viewers needed to have the often obvious moral of the episode beat into their head with zero subtlety.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Everyone always compares Black Mirror to The Twilight Zone, but I think it has far more in common with the 90’s Outer Limits. Twilight Zone always had a stronger emphasis on testing humanity through extreme situations, whereas Black Mirror and the Outer Limits are more about humanity being corrupted by the things we create. Twilight Zone ends up feeling more optimistic because the crux of each episode is how the characters deal with the moral crucible they’ve been thrown into. Black Mirror and Outer Limits feel pessimistic because things are hosed from the very beginning and usually get worse.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Bandersnatch was fine, I guess, but it felt pretty unsatisfying, even after going back and redoing half a dozen choices. The complete lack of a set cohesive story kinda defeats the purpose of making it an episode of Black Mirror. There’s little hints of typical BM storytelling flair, but you could easily have stripped the references away and still had the exact same final product.

It’s an interesting gimmick, but I’d have much rather had a normal 90 minute episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I read and loved the first and third books in the series, but the first book especially is nearly unfilmable and Annihilation is a drat impressive attempt at nailing the same tone and creeping horror. I thought it was a great flick, but I can see how it would leave some people cold and unimpressed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Inspector Hound posted:

My kid has moved through several children's movies and is now on The Star, an animated movie about the nativity. It's... I'm not recommending it, but the cast is full of bizarrely famous people.

Oprah and Joel Olsteen alongside Keegan Michael Key and Christopher Plummer :wtc:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d been meaning to watch it for years now, but Robot & Frank is up on Amazon Prime. Solid little flick with a great performance by Frank Langella.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The MSJ posted:

I can't stop laughing at the self destruct scene.

That one and the two robots trying small talk are probably my favorite scenes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lycus posted:

It was different than S1 in that it was very boring.

I think S2 would have been better suited to a reduced episode order, like 4 or 5 episodes, and the removal of some of the minor arcs. I thought Rachel McAdams and Vince Vaughan did a decent job with what they were given.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

pahuyuth posted:

Resolution and The Endless are in the same universe and share a couple of characters. There's also Spring (which I haven't seen) that I think has loose ties to the other two films. Pretty sure the creative duo behind them have at least one other in-universe film in the works

edit: can't find it now but I posted a link in some other TVIV thread about the writer/ directors talking about how they've fleshed out a lot of their universe for more films

Maybe it’s just because I had zero expectations going in, but Spring kind of blew me away with how much I enjoyed it. Haven’t seen Resolution yet, but The Endless was pretty great.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I tried to rewatch the first TMNT movie a couple months back and just couldn’t get through it. I loved it when I was a kid but something about it just put me to sleep this time around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

It grinds to a bit of a halt after April's apartment gets torched and they're on the old farm (edit: and Raph's beating is pretty gratuitous for a movie aimed at kids, I remember crying at it when I was all of like six years old), but then it picks right back up when the Turtles go back to New York.

Now that you mention it, this is exactly where I started to tune out and drift off. Even the apartment fight wasn’t particularly engaging.

I only ever had a passing interest in TMNT as a kid, so maybe the absence of nostalgia is coloring my perception a bit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

veni veni veni posted:

I’m trying to watch Who Is America and SBC is still funny as hell, but I almost cannot handle watching poo poo that is this awkward anymore.

I liked Who is America, but there were way too many segments that petered out into nothing or SBC didn’t string them along long enough and they got wise. There’s enough great material for a two hour movie there, but everything else feels like a deleted scene.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

10 Beers posted:

Anyone have thoughts and opinions on Man in the High Castle? Worth a watch?

Season 1 is great, season 2 is a little lacking but still watchable, season 3 is a course correction back into solid storytelling and will make you angry as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ElMudo posted:

I was describing the show to my girlfriend the other day and realized that I couldn't even remember watching season 2. Season 1 is memorable just for the shock factor and there's a lot going on in season 3. I would have to look up a synopsis to remember what the hell happened in season 2.

Without looking it up, all I can recall is Juliana tooling around with the Resistance a bit, the stuff with Smith’s son, and the finale where they reveal Juliana’s alt-sister. It’s a very forgettable season. It doesn’t even dig into the world-building all that much like S1 and S3 did.

ed: Oh and Tagomi going over to his alt-family for a few episodes. That was S2, right?