Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The fight scene when the punisher is in prison is brutal and really well done. I hope whoever is making those fight sequences gets a lot more work in the future.

And room 237 was really good except for the moon landing bit mentioned above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that was rad. Good suggestion thank you sir!

Just one question: are their tons of badass cars rolling around in Australia or was that just this movie?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
So the Zero Thereom on prime sounded ok and Christopher Waltz is awesome.

It is not. I turned it off after 30 minutes. Do not watch that movie unless you're really high and want to do some rifftrax type poo poo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Basebf555 posted:

I'll throw in a dissenting opinion on that one. It's obviously not in the same league as Brazil, but Zero Theorem is still very good if you typically enjoy Gilliam. The world he creates was very interesting to me, and Waltz is really solid, if not completely mind-blowing like some of his previous roles have been.

Its got a really unique look, and that's something I appreciate in a film.

I like Gilliam quite a bit but this one was just wasn't doing it for me.

The look of the film was the main problem for me. It was like what a teenager from the early 90's would think the future looks like.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I think Henry Rollins gets too many free passes just because of his music history. He's not a good actor.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've seen him in a ton of movies and it's always some random "hey here's Henry Rollins" type deal. Its never anything significant, you could have plugged in 20 other actors in the same part and no one would know the difference.

Watching his stand up specials is more like a chore than anything. Yeah dude I want to listen to you bitch about what music and celebrities you don't like for an hour. No thanks.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

coyo7e posted:

I'd love to see some examples of a Henry Rollins role/cameo where he's not literally just being himself (maybe with some glasses on), though.

That's all he does acting wise? Being a famous person in some random movie role doesn't make it good.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Chichevache posted:

And yet James Hong turned it into one of the most decorated filmographies of all time. Maybe... some people are just interesting and you're not one of them?

James Hong is a legit good actor though.

And yes some people are interesting! I just don't think Henry Rollins is outside of his music, his schtick got old really fast.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Yaws posted:

Tom Hanks performance in A League of Their Own is amazing. I sometimes forget how funny he is.

I watched The Burbs a few days ago and he does some really funny physical comedy in that movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just watched The Money Pit again last week. More great Hanks comedy in that one.

I was torn between this or The Burbs. Gonna do the Money Pit tomorrow night I think, loving hilarious movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Medullah posted:

The Burbs is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. The Money Pit was also funny, but I haven't watched it more than a couple times.

Of course I'm also the weird one who thoroughly enjoyed Joe vs. the Volcano so I'm clearly insane.

The bathtub scene alone is worth watching the money pit, so goddamn hilarious.

I still have not seen Joe vs the volcano. Is it worth it just for the novelty?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Get them to watch Forrest Gump. No baby boomer can resist that movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I like it as well. It mixed the 70s haunted house vibe with some modern effects and gore. Solid flick.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That show isn't blowing my mind but it scratches the gangster flick itch for me. I'm a few episodes into the second season and it's looking pretty much the same.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I liked the roommate as well. He's pretty much just a normal dude going through a rough patch with his job and women who's trying to help out his friend.

And I may not be remembering it right but doesn't he imply that his friend has had a similar breakdown before? Something like "Are you hearing them again?" and the "no killing anyone" line?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

Guys there's a feature length Christian Mingle dot com movie on Netflix

God's not dead 2?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just watched Hector and the Search for Happines on netflix and it was really good. Simon Pegg is the lead and nails it, it's not heavy handed or preachy. Really well done flick.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ip Man 3 has Mike Tyson in it. Ha

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Definitely watch East Bound and Down. Kenny Powers is the funniest rear end in a top hat you will ever hate and love at the same time.

And I started rewatching Breaking Bad again and holy poo poo they cram a ton of stuff into the second season. I honestly don't remember all of that happening at that brisk of a pace, no wonder so many people got hooked on it. It's fuckin rad as hell.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Goon is fantastic! It's such a basic theme that's executed really well and straight forward. It's nice not having out of nowhere plot twists and such occasionally.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Hirsute posted:

Agreed, one of the funniest TV episodes I've ever seen.

Also, Bojack Horseman is amazing, and if you like its brand of pitch-black humor and genuinely interesting characters with soul-crushing emotional problems, the Adult Swim show Moral Orel is streaming on Hulu and is almost as good (especially the last 2 seasons).

This so much. There were times I was watching Moral Orel and I would just say "holy poo poo". It is extremely dark and funny.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Check out Tusk, I think it's still on Netflix.

I started watching Stranger Things and it's pretty good so far. It's not beating me over the head with 80s stuff like everyone says it does, it's just a series set in the 80s.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I thought The Overnight was great but it's one of those films that people either love or hate it seems like.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm in the same boat, I thought it ended great. I like the realistic approach.

Like some crazy poo poo happens to you and it might change you for better or for worse but it doesn't rewrite your entire life. You're still going back to work on Monday.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just finished The Invitation and it was excellent. That ending was pretty terrifying.

Anyone that's going to watch The Overnight based on it is probably not going to like it. They're very different movies.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That's another thing I like about Daredevil, all of the women in it are secondary characters but they kick rear end and have their poo poo together.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I dug it. It wasn't mind blowing but it was a passable time travel-ish suspense movie.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The_Rob posted:

I still think season 1 is really good. It's because it stuck with the original idea of the season. It was about a family trying to stay together. All the other stuff was a big part of it but it came back to a family trying to make it work. The problem with the later seasons is that they get to caught up in their own lore and lose sight of the original idea. Next thing you know there are 10 different stories from 10 different genres going on and none of them get wrapped up. They can't just stick to an idea and see it to its logical conclusion.

This is exactly why I couldn't get into it, just waaaay too much going on. It was a total clusterfuck.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Class isn't an issue in modern society?

Pretty sure he was referring to the "social media bad!" part not being the issue.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Ramagamma posted:

The first episode of black mirror with the social media ratings was ok, felt about 15 minutes too long though.

I thought the same thing, some more editing could have made that episode a lot better.

I really like the San Junipero episode, it touched on some things that the show hasn't really explored yet and no I'm not talking about the sex stuff.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

precision posted:

Everyone PLEASE watch Angel Heart before it's gone, it's one of my top 5 films of all time. No joke.

e: Burn After Reading is like my third favorite Coen Bros. film after Inside Llewyn Davis (which is on Prime right now) and The Man Who Wasn't There

Dude have you seen Raising Arizona?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched this for the first time a few weeks ago. It was awful. Goddamn do I hate the coen brothers

No. No no no.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
You had me at Foxxy Brown!

Pam Grier :pervert:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Spectral was really good! Netflix keeps surprising me with their original content here lately, they have their poo poo together.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I started watching Kurt&Courtney on Netflix and good god it is bad. If I didn't know otherwise I would think this is one of those fake documentaries like A Mighty Wind or Spinal Tap.

I love Nirvana but this poo poo is awful.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Tusk was good. Y'all need to hop off the internet Kevin Smith hate train, yeah he's made some lovely movies but that doesn't retroactively make everything he's ever done terrible.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Everything you just said makes it sound like you don't like him as a person. You can separate the man and the movies dude.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I openly admitted that. It's hard to separate them when he writes himself into most of them.

Show me how it's done. Write a critique explaining why Tusk is good.

My bad I missed that part of the edit. I'd like to hear why people don't like it first because all I've seen is "it's bad because Kevin Smith lol" in this thread.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Considering it's a film that is liked by almost no one I think you should go first.

Fair enough, I'll go first. It's been a minute since I've seen it but I'll go off the top of my head.

First off I like Justin Long, he sticks mostly to goofball sidekick roles but in this movie he plays a smarmy douchebag to perfection. I was rooting for him to get hosed up, he owned that role completely.

The story was pretty original. The way the movie was shot and the setting was great, I like the simple, claustrophobic type movies.

The doctor(?) guy was awesome, I could listen to him tell bullshit stories for hours, he's like a cool grandpa.

The walrus outfit/costume or whatever was fuckin rad.

It's very much a love it or hate it film, yeah it could have used some better editing and the humor(attempted humor whatever) kinda falls flat. It's got it's flaws no doubt but:

veni veni veni posted:

Tusk was hands down the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life.
That's just loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Im gonna admit that Michael Parks is an amazing actor and makes the first 1.5 or so acts or Tusk watchable but the rest of the film is so bad that it doesnt save it. It is bad. So bad. But not nearly as bad as Yoga Hosers.

Why was tusk bad? Everyone says they don't like it and then it just drifts off into Kevin Smith hate stuff.