Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, first three episodes are garbage and the show finally explodes in episode four.

Just watched the 4th episode of Spartacus after only seeing the first one a long time ago. It didn't hook me then but after seeing everyone say pretty much the same thing about the rocky start I gave it another chance and skipped episodes 2 and 3. I was not disappointed... I instantly became a fan when one of the pit fighters peeled another fighter's face off. And wore it as a mask. This is definitely my kind of show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Anyone with Hulu Plus, there's some good stuff Horror-wise on there: The Devil's Rejects, Night of the Living Dead '90, all 3 Ginger Snaps and Scanners movies, From Beyond, Cannibal Holocaust, Blair Witch 2, Candyman, The House on Sorority Row, House by the Cemetery,. The Beyond, Frankenhooker, Inferno, The Prowler, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Pieces, Intruder, Prince of Darkness, Slither, The Funhouse and a few more good ones.

I was with you up until Blair Witch 2. I haven't seen it, but my somewhat fading memory tells me it was pretty poorly received. Is it worth the time? It's not a true sequel (or prequel, I dunno) is it?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Every time you guys mention Detention I think of the Dolph Lundgren flick. I wish that was on Netflix.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The first trailer for the original Netflix series Daredevil is out. DD is by far my favorite superhero and I still have a lot of first run issues of the comic all the way back to #2! Anyway, I was supremely disappointed by the Ben Affleck movie version and have been hoping for something good to be done with the property. By the looks of this trailer I have high hopes... it looks dark and gritty and the casting is interesting. I'm not too familiar with Charlie Cox but he looks like a good choice for Matt Murdock, and I'm super excited to see Scott Glenn as Stick. I never would have thought of this myself, but Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin looks fantastic. I cannot wait until April 10 to binge the hell out of this.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Sigh, Parallels.... I had such high hopes. I love the entire premise of alternate earths, but the poor acting ruined it for me. The character Ronan is just awful... they set him up as some sort of skilled MMA fighter (skilled to at least get beaten up in back alleys and not die) but then every encounter with the Bad Guys ends with him just punching the dude out with one hit. I mean, I don't expect Banshee levels of bad assery, but come on... in one scene a bad guy is just standing there, the heroes roll up on him, Ronan punches the dude in the head once and knocks him out immediately and everyone escapes, end of scene. Just poorly choreographed and terribly shot all around.

Then there's the guy that gets trapped in the building with the others as it jumps to a new earth. Later he builds a device from scratch to hack into the building which seems like it should have been reserved for a much later episode. The way it was done completely nullifies any conflict or drama leading up to what in my mind would be a Pretty Big Deal - (being able to control the building). I get that it was a pilot for a series that wasn't picked up and maybe the cast and crew knew this and just smashed everything they could into the two hours.

The cliffhanger ending was okay I guess but I doubt any network will ever pick this mess up. I'm so disappointed :(

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

Rectify season 1 is my favorite season of television ever.

Season 2 is a bit less good, but there's also more of it.

Season 1 is a beautiful, moving, infuriating, depressing, uplifting, gut wrenching season of television. I loved every second of it the three or four times I watched it, usually in one sitting. I'll agree that Season 2 is tad bit less perfect but it's still very very good and better than 99% of anything else on. An old friend of mine worked as a set dresser (no idea what that person really does) on season 1, not sure about season 2. I need to track her down to see if she can give me the inside scoop on anything.

If you can't tell I loves me some Rectify. I can't wait until the 3rd and final season sometime this year. Seriously, watch Rectify.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Awful app is being stupid on my phone and I can't post the links at the moment, but a quick google search revealed mention of it ending with season 3 but that a season 4 is possible.

Edit: here's the link for the season 4 mention - http://seriable.com/rectify-end-date-season-4/

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

K. Waste posted:

Heaven is a weird little legal thriller by Tom Tykwer that is probably best viewed knowing as little about it as possible. It's quite good.

Agreed.

This is one of my favorite films, and not just because I'm in love with Cate Blanchett.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
^^ I don't know you but you are dead to me :(

Jose Oquendo posted:

Cheers is easily the best sitcom of the 80's. The jokes aren't that dated so it's still enjoyable.

Yes. Cheers is a national treasure. Now if only Night Court was available streaming somewhere.

MASH is on Netflix, and it's also brilliant.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Spielberg gets a pass for anything bad he's done (1941, Hook) and a permanent spot in my top 3 simply because of Jaws though. I still love Close Encounters as much as I did when I saw it for the first time as a 6 year old. War Horse surprised me; I was expecting something much less but I really liked it.
Munich owns, haven't seen Lincoln. Is it streaming for free somewhere?

VVVVV Yep.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think it just premiered over the weekend, but has anyone dipped their toes into Sense8 on Netflix? Created by the Wachowski siblings and J. Michael Straczynski it looks like something along the lines of The Tomorrow People.

Edit: Oops, I'm dumb. It premieres this Friday June 5th. I could swear I saw a full episode up already. Still, anyone hear anything about it?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
If you haven't seen it watch one the best and most fun movies ever, Big Trouble In Little China (on Netflix), before this happens.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

Yes, Transparent is amazing.

Season 3 of Rectify starts next Tuesday, so watch seasons 1 and 2 so you'll be caught up! Best show on television right here people!

Ohhhhh poo poo I had no idea it was coming back soon. Hell yes, watch Rectify.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The pilot has Fiona with an amazing Irish accent. I think it's her natural accent, but man it's out there. She makes a quip about it in the first episode and goes to regular english.

Related, is there a show like Burn Notice I can watch with wifey? Something light hearted with good guys blowing up cars to get bad guys, nothing to heavy handed or CSI proceedural like. We are watching Chuck now (on Season 3) and maaaaaaan that show is Stupid with a capital S.

I pimp this show at every opportunity, but watch Terriers (on Netflix). Please watch Terriers. One of the best buddy private detective shows ever with great chemistry between the leads and although it's only one season, it gets wrapped up alright.

Eh, I re-read your post. There aren't any explosions or anything like that but hot drat it's just a fun buddy drama.

Yes I am bitter as gently caress that it only got one season.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 15, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I was disappointed with The Guest as well. Saw pretty much everything coming, though I did enjoy the first two acts. Didn't care much for the 3rd except for the final scene I guess.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The above posts are true and I love me some Nic Cage (Raising Arizona and ConAir are masterpieces!). However, I have never seen Leaving Las Vegas and I am ashamed to admit it given the high praise I often hear associated with it. Should I correct that?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Okay. I will watch it tonight. I've just been lazy about it. But yeah Lord of War is aces.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

BJPaskoff posted:

I finally watched Jug Face because I'm working freelance from home and I'm running out of things to watch, and the thumbnail looked creepy. It's a slow burn horror movie about a creepy Southern town in the woods that worships a pit in the ground. The death scenes are all laughable, but the people are all suitably creepy in their matter-of-fact-ly way they treat their little cult. It's one of a few horror movies with a cult community where it doesn't feel like they're solely defined by being in an evil cult. They have a daily life and participate in not-evil activities sometimes, and I think this was only possible because none of the main characters are from outside the cult. Other horror movies would have had a group of teens whose car broke down in the woods and stumbled on the evil contained therein, but with this movie the main character is someone from the inside to whom all this is normal.

This has been in my queue FOREVER. I like cult related poo poo and Southern settings so I guess I should check it out.

With the loss of Aqua Teen Hunger Force (my favorite show ever) I am sad. Is there anything on streaming that is comparable?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Holy poo poo I forgot Ace Hunter was played by Barry Bostwick! Goddrat was MegaForce ever the tits when saw it in the theater as an 11 year old. I even had a bunch of the toys!

DeltaForce kicks rear end too, along with Invasion USA which I'm going to watch now on Netflix :D

Edit: dangit, it's only available as a DVD from Netflix

Editx2: Speaking of First Blood, any of you old fucks like me remember Ruckus with Dirk Benedict and Linda Blair? From what I remember the plot was similar to First Blood but it was far worse in execution.

I really miss the jingoistic and trashy action films of the 80s :(

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 6, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

fishtobaskets posted:

Stephen King said it's the only adaptation of his work where he liked their ending better than his own. I kind of agree. The film ending is just brutal.

Agreed. I love The Mist for a lot of reasons but the ending is just awesomely brutal. I don't like reading King; I don't think I've ever made it through one of his books. How does the ending of the movie differ from the book?

I only watched the first 20 and last 20 minutes of These Final Hours because I felt like it was going to be pretty standard fare in the middle. Did I miss anything special? I liked what I saw of it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here's a good challenge: name a cop show where the cops just do their jobs, and not in a sarcastic, cynical or obviously illegal way. I got Adam-12 and that's it.

Oh man, Adam-12 brings back some memories along with CHiPS and Emergency! Would CHiPs fit your challenge? It's been far too long to remember if there was any cynicism in it, but I recall it being a pretty tame show full of do-gooders. In elementary school I proudly carried around big metal lunchboxes with scenes from each of those shows on them. I think the Emergency! lunchbox had a scene of the guys using the jaws of life or something to pry a kid's head out of a wrought iron fence!

Here's something I've always wondered but have been too lazy to investigate - throughout TV history, has there been more police, medical, or law room dramas and by what margin? Anyone have an idea?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
8mm, bitches

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hell yes. I liked a lot of things about Fargo but Alison Tolman was the best thing.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

morestuff posted:

Additions and such

Hemlock Grove will be in its 3rd season?! Is it any good?

Also, Bandits is a delightfully fun light movie with three really good actors, watch it before it is gone! If for nothing else than for how hot Cate Blanchett looks :swoon:

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 30, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Look at that fuckin goddamn banner. Good lord.

haha. looks like some 1998 geocities poo poo. only worse.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Basebf555 posted:

Yea The Man From Nowhere is great, I love how restrained it is(until its not). You only get little glimpses of what this guy can do until the very end.

This is my favorite little bit from the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1aiA62DQr8

Its really not spoilery, just a little moment where you go "drat who is this guy?"

In a movie full of all kinds of badassery, this is a good one.

Also, this ad was at the bottom the page.

Edit: poo poo, I read that as wallet knife because I had Wallet + Knife on the brain.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 20, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I watch a random episode of NewsRadio every evening and yeah, Andy Dick is tolerable and Khandi Alexander is underused. Rogan is alright I guess. But the big takeaway is how much of a tragedy Phil Hartman's murder was.

morestuff posted:

Joe Rogen was pretty funny as an idiot on NewsRadio so maybe it's an extended bit

His role was sort of electronic/mechanical/gadget genius, so no not really an idiot. Real life is a different story.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 27, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

NESguerilla posted:

What is the main draw of The Shield? I've always heard good things about it, but honestly it's never looked remotely appealing to me. It always just reminded me of NYPD blue or something.

I only watched The Shield a year or so ago for this exact reason but boy howdy was I ever wrong. It is definitely up there with The Wire and Breaking Bad in terms of the fantastic story and character arcs. There are some truly :asoiaf: moments and Forrest Whitaker and Anthony Anderson are fantastic in the 5th season, especially Anderson.

And then there's the last episode. One of the most truly satisfying, tragic and compelling finales I have ever seen. The way it all ends for Vic Mackey is absolutely perfect and seeing it all come together was most definitely worth the ride. It did take me 3 or 4 episodes to become invested... but once I was hooked I could not get enough. You really should watch it all the way through, but give it at least 4 episodes and see how it grabs you.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

red19fire posted:

quote:

One of the best pilot TV episodes we've seen in ages was for Amazon's Mad Dogs, a drama led by Shawn Ryan of The Shield and Terriers fame. It stars Christopher from The Sopranos, Billy Zane, and Steve Zahn as old friends who are vacationing in Belize until things go very dark and very weird. Sit back, click play, and enjoy this thrill ride. The whole season premiered today and the last 15 minutes of the pilot will have you on the edge of your seat.

You had me at Shawn Ryan.

:getin:

Whoever wrote that was right on the money. Really good premiere and the last several minutes are indeed full of WTF. Really looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

Apparently it is based on a UK series of the same name. Anyone here seen that version?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

magnificent7 posted:

There's a Henry Rollins vampire movie up now that is awesome.

HE NEVER DIED.

Imagine if Henry Rollins made a movie about being a vampire. That pretty much sums it up. Seriously. Go watch the movie. Or don't. gently caress you I don't care if you watch it or not. That's the movie.

Totally gonna watch the gently caress out of this. I saw Henry talking about it somewhere but I don't think he mentioned the vampire aspect, only that his character was somehow immortal.

I remember seeing one of Henry's spoken word shows way back in the early-mid 90s and I'm not sure that I've ever laughed as hard at anything ever. It was made even more special because the weather got really bad during the show (snow and ice, in the South, where people can't cope with that poo poo) and he urged everyone to just stay after and hang out instead of driving home. About 30 of us stayed in the small venue with him until sunrise just shooting the poo poo and eating food that he ordered for all of us from a nearby 24 hour diner. Such a friendly, classy, generous, and hilarious guy. Never gonna forget that night.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

nate fisher posted:

TWD has never been as good as True Blood or even Dexter at their best, but their worst (to me) is worse than TWD has ever been.

Totally agree 100%
Weren't you in at least a couple episodes of True Blood or am I thinking of someone else here?

VvV ahh, thanks. Knew it was nate something!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 1, 2016

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Guy Mann posted:

The dude trying to make it to his child's delivery in full mummy makeup and the town thinking there's a real mummy runnin around

This. This one right here, S01E4 Mummy Daddy, was the poo poo. Saw it when it aired and as a 14 year old I laughed like a motherfucker.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
After seeing the first 3 episodes months ago, I finally got off my rear end (ok, onto my rear end and in front of the TV) and finished Bloodline. Wow. What a fantastic show. In a cast of heavyweight actors, for me it was Ben Mendelsohn as Danny that stole the show. Can't wait for Season 2.

Now I guess I'll start Better Call Saul!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Slandible posted:

Season 2? How?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBrUPASutc

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

david_a posted:

The last episode had some incredibly ham-fisted hooks for a new season that honestly put me off on the entire series. I thought S1 was OK but I was a bit annoyed at how it was structured.

I'll agree with this for the most part. I was kinda "meh" about everything except the acting until around episode 10 when things really started to heat up w/r/t Danny, but from that point on I was hooked.

Edit: goddammit I hosed up my edit and ended up with a double post grrrrr

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Slandible posted:

I'll probably end up watching it, but I don't know how the show will carry on without Ben Mendelsohn. Not just his character, but his acting carried that show.

Did you watch the trailer? Danny will still be around, in a sense... he'll appear to John just like Sarah did to Danny. Not as prominent as in S1 of course, but a little Danny is better than no Danny.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
hahahaha now that's funny ^^

anyway just started Bloodline season 2. Agree on missing Sevigny but I have high hopes that everything falls apart for the Rayburns

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Lycus posted:

So Bloodline's alright without Danny?

He's still there, in a sense.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
She does show up in episode 3 I think, but I'm at E6 now and there has been far too little of her, that's for sure. It's still a great show and things are going from bad to worse for the Rayburn clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah Cardellini is awesome and gorgeous. I've been a huge fan since Freaks and Geeks. Also She and Ellen Page look like they could be sisters. Bloodline S2 is pretty good, I've got one episode left!

Kyle Chandler is one fine actor. His facial expressions convey a lot of emotion and I love his voice. One of these days I'll make it past S2 of Friday Night Lights.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 31, 2016