Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hubbardologist posted:

I came here to basically post this. It's.... like.... amazingly bad. Like a movie made by an AI that only watched Smokin' Aces and John Wick -- two very different films -- and was not able to reproduce any of the aspects of what made those films engaging. Down to the adopted dog getting murdered... by the protagonist.

edit: for the record, i made it about 20 minutes before stopping.

This isn't fair to the AI at all. It clearly also watched both Sin City and Lucky Number Sleven.

At least the movie has the only smart nameless henchmen in the history of the "hosed With The Wrong Man" action genre. They really want to make it into a franchise too, with at least 2 different sequel hook options before the end offering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Filthy Hans posted:

Polar is a remarkably unpleasant movie

Is it though? It seemed to me like the most generic version of it's type of movie, which was the biggest problem. Every curve ball they tried was just another entry in the grab bag of genre cliches. The only thing it has going for it of any note is the lead. Other than that it's just a mish mash of a handful of other movies that each did the portion being cribbed better. If it had at least even achieved shittieness levels of note it would at least be something. But it was just there, forgettable and rote.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fargin Icehole posted:

I havent seen it yet, i figure i'd just ask. Is it because it's based on a graphic novel? Or are the no constraints and it's just bad?

It's based on a web comic turned Dark Horse comic, but I don't know if that actually has anything to do with it. I haven't read it.

A badass assassin is hosed with by people who know who he is but think they can take him out. It is stated prior to loving with him that it is not a good idea. Said badass then goes on a rampage and kills everyone. The problem isn't that it's bad, it's that it's also not good and thus whatever. It's at best adequate at what it sets out to do and at worst inadequate. It will leave you with no real feeling either way, and you will feel that between 1 and 4 of the actors you've seen elsewhere are wasting their time. If you like generic shooty man movies you'll be fine, but you're not going to get anything of any real value.

Maybe it is just being faithful to the comic it's based on. All I know about it is what I read of it's wiki; it's a wordless comic using a Schindler's List pallet that predates John Wick.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kinda liked Polar. It's yet another entry in the subgenre that Crank and Punisher: War Zone started, and I dig pretty much anything in that vein.

It is in no way insane enough to be in the same classification as Crank and Punisher: War Zone. It's generic John Wick with more titties and slapstick.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He is 100% the lead.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I refuse to believe that any person who isn't an alien/robot imposter has ever referred to a c-section as "getting the baby out side saddle style".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mem posted:

I wouldn't call Polar a good film, but I enjoyed it well enough. I was confused why everything was so garish but then I read it's a comic adaptation.

I was starting to drift a bit until the assassin's went all ed-209 on the fat guy. Seemed to pick up after that.

The comic it is based on is black and white with occasional red accents.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Iron Crowned posted:

You fool! The Netflix Defender will be here soon

They canceled that already. All that's left is releasing the last season of Jessica Jones.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LifeLynx posted:

An article I read on Russian Doll pointed out that when the split-screen merges into one scene, both of them are wearing their Multiple-Death clothes. So the timelines are merged! But there is that weird part with multiple Nadias pushing their way through the crowd.

Yes, when I watched it I went back to make sure the outfits lined up. It's hard to see at first because not only is Nadia the focus of the chaotic shot, Alan's clothing blends with the chaos more than her black jacket. It's hard to tell if Nadia realized it yet, but Alan is super happy and jumping around. I presume because he realizes that the Nadia he knows is back.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I kind of hope Umbrella Academy gets several more seasons, and each season ends with the Apocalypse and them jumping back to try and figure out a different way to totally not gently caress it up this time. Each Apocalypse more ridiculous, and each failure as total.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mystes posted:

They honestly should have done that already in this season.

Alternatively, if they wanted to focus more on mystery/drama maybe they should have alternated between the past and the present the whole season (although perhaps that's probably been done by too many tv shows recently).

I think spending a whole season building up Vanya's meltdown was a good idea. If they did it before the end then I don't think you'd sympathize with her like the show wants you to. Instead of being on Allison's "side" you'd be on Luthor's.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Asnorban posted:

I’m interested in knowing if these Umbrella Academy impressions have read the comics or not.

I saw them, saw it was called The Umbrella Academy, and remember thinking, "Jesus, now Resident Evil has comics about evil corporate high schools". Since I'm not into Resident Evil at all, I never read them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

redreader posted:

I finally saw Buster Scruggs. I loved the first story even though I hated the dude after about 2 minutes. My friends made me skip the second-last story because apparently it contains dogmurder. Should I go back and watch it now that they're not here?

Stop listening to your friends and go watch John Wick.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Unzip and Attack posted:

I got about 20 minutes into Abducted in Plain Sight and just had to turn it off. When the dad reveals he was "fooled" into giving his neighbor a handjob I figured watching any more of that poo poo would sorely tempt me to break my tv. I don't know that I've ever been so angry watching a show in my life. Parents waiting 5 loving days to report a missing child? The sheer, crystalline stupidity of those parents really should constitute criminal neglect at a minimum.

How can you possibly be fooled into such a thing?

Is the entire show just about the most dumb and neglectful people on the face of the Earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Steve Yun posted:

2 episodes into Russian Doll, it seems kinda pedestrian. Does it get better?

Halfway through episode 4 Netflix slips something into your drink when you aren't looking, and you end up seeing the face of God. It's pretty amazing, but make sure you watch all the way through the episode without stopping. A friend of mine paused it, and then ended up simply witnessing an ant contemplate what it means to be a human.