Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

AKMoose posted:

I have noticed some discussion about Troll 2 on Netflix, but I do not think anyone has mentioned that Best Worst Movie, a documentary about Troll 2, is also available on Hulu Plus if you really need your Troll 2 fix. (I think the doc is okay--the filmmaking is bland, but the subject matter is interesting and the people involved are all kind of odd. The movie is saved by the guy who played the Dad, a really entertaining figure in real life.)

The part with the actress who played the mom is really uncomfortable to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Netflix felt it was necessary to send me an email telling me that Underworld: Evolution is up. Okay, Netflix.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Man gently caress you Netflix. I know Terminator 2 was on there so when you told me Terminator 1 was now streaming I was going to watch both! Tricked you, you got rid of T2 when you put the first up. Jerks!!! :mad:

Just watch Conan instead.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

The main reason I'm balking at paying the $3 for Jurassic Park is the 7 year old is kid of a wuss when it comes to movies. He said Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal both had scary parts, but also said the same thing about Muppets From Space and I honestly can't figure out why. I mean, at that point, any movie becomes too scary. Roger Rabbit has Judge Doom. Goonies has scary parts. Princess Bride has thr ROUSs.

Similarly for Back To The Future, I'm worried their mom would flip out about the sex stuff. She just recently watched Grease with them and was "mortified at the content".

The Terminator and The Fifth Element? What the gently caress is wrong with you? Those are joke suggestions, right?

A lot of goons had hosed up childhoods and watched stuff like Alien at age 8 and think that's normal and healthy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Conversation is up. It was the first movie Francis Ford Coppola released in 1974, and it's a knockout. Gene Hackman plays a secretive, socially-awkward surveillance worker who becomes curious about a conversation he's paid to snoop on. It touches on a lot of themes, including religion and moral quandaries presented by such a job, and the stuff about surveillance still holds up to this day. The cinematography is great, in a subtle, unflashy way. Hackman's character is very well-drawn and, of course, well-acted. Plus, Harrison Ford before he was popular! Give it a go if you're in the mood for a great 70's thriller.

Yeah. Yeah. It's definitely on the same level as the rest of Coppola's 70s output. I'm gonna watch that again soon.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Do people watch Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket and think it glorifies war? They are absolutely horrifying depictions of war.

I have heard of people watching Full Metal Jacket and signing up for the marines because of it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hey, general announcement for people who like horror, A Nightmare on Elm Street is up on Netflix. If you've never seen it, buckle the hell up.

Motherfucker I just paid for a digital rental for this a week ago.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

A good double I happened upon once was Cool Hand Luke/Easy Rider.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

coyo7e posted:

If you've heard of Martin Scorsese these are all righteously fun films which fit well together.

Except Legendary, which was so forgettable I know I watched it and still forgot.. Watch that Battle of the Damned movie instead, because where else can you nwatch Dolph Lundgren lead a rag-tag band of robots to revolution?! :iamafag:

Green Street Underground is probably the worst of the lot, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the first two Green Street movies (which I wouldn't recommend if you are not a fan of seeing people brained with bricks in riot scenes) so feel free, it's just a Bloodsport clone movie and not as rough as the other Green Streets.

Green Street 2 also has pretty much nothing to do with the first one. I go back and forth on whether Green Street 2 or Goal! 3: Taking On the World is the worst soccer-related movie I've seen.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The worst soccer related film is Hooligans at War: north vs south, and I mean by a very long way, so if I were you I'd stay away. It makes Green Street look brilliant.

I hated the original green Street so never bothered with any sequels but if they're worse than the original they must be terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD9bvAH1JgU

Haha what the gently caress is this? Why is everything green? Why does the trailer say the movie is called Battlefield? None of this makes any sense.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I watched Lord of War last night. It was p good. Not amazing but p good.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I watched the first episode of Narcos and it was pretty dope and good

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Spoiler: Pablo Escobar dies.

You motherfucker :mad:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Accident Underwater posted:

Found this very non-comprehensive list:

Available 9/8/15
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Available 9/10
Longmire, season 4
Available 9/16
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part One (2014)
Available 9/24/15
Thor: the Dark World (2013)
Also coming in September, exact dates TBD
Hemlock Grove, season 3
Grimm, season 4
Revenge, season 4

Haven't seen the new Hunger Games yet, and Age of Ultron, if a bit disappointing, is still worth watching if you're into Marvel.

Hemlock Grove is still a thing?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I think I wouldn't mind the Hulu ads that much if there was a greater variety in them. It's the repetition that drives me nuts.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I watched Disciples of the 36th Chamber. It was just okay.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

I liked it, but thought it was just ok until the terrific set piece at the end.

The end was cool but I was really sleepy by then

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

OK, thanks. Follow up question to everyone else: is Raskolnikov2089 loving with me? Thanks in advance.

It's a little bit creepy but not bad.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Foodfight is up on Prime and it is indescribable agony to sit through. It's like a much more nakedly cynical attempt at what the Lego Movie does, except it's also incomprehensibly ugly and badly plotted. I read on wiki that the movie was finished by an insurance company after the studio defaulted on its debt to them, and you can really tell that insurance salesmen made this film.

It's fascinating that anyone believed that there would be a market for a movie about product mascots, and also that a ton of conglomerates clearly revoked permission to use their logos and mascots after seeing the thing. There are rows and rows of blank white boxes between occasional Swifers in tons of scenes. Mr. Clean and Charlie Tuna are about the only brands left. It's kind of fun trying to figure out which national brands were changed to generic characters at the last minute.

It also has the insidious message that the store brand is evil and an enemy to kids' beloved food products, not that any kids could make it that far into the movie without getting motion sickness.

You really can't comprehend how bad this movie is until you see it, but under no circumstances should anyone ever see this movie.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Nerf Herder EX posted:

Foodfight was actually supposed to be released in 2003, but the release date kept getting pushed back until the producers defaulted on a loan and the film was put up for auction. The investors then commissioned the film to be finished as quickly and cheaply as possible.

IIRC a bunch of their hard drives were stolen partway through production so they had to go back and redo a lot of it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

space-man posted:

i have never heard of foodfight. i have now watched the trailer several times and will do whatever i can to see this abomination asap. it looks terrible. it reminds me of the animation in reboot. only reboot was made late 90s and was a tv show.

No don't.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

36th Chamber is loving amazing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Crippled Avengers is by far my favorite Shaw Bros. movie.

I just watched this and can confirm that it is dope as hell.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Hot Fuzz is one of the best comedy films ever made.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Btw to the dude that liked Five Elements Ninjas, watch Crippled Avengers next.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

mds2 posted:

I watched Kung Fury and holy poo poo that movie is awesome! I wish it was full length.

please do not troll

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Yeah that's true. Up until then Spartacus's revolt was driven largely by vendetta and thus very personal. I think they did a good job depicting how the revolt had escalated to the point that Rome had to get serious but season 3 was definitely "Our Heros vs The Mechanistic Apparatus of State". Crassus et. al. were just doing their jobs and didn't give a poo poo who Spartacus was or why he was doing anything.

Crassus and Caesar were p cool villains though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Most and arguably all movies are unnecessary

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Upstream Color is a much much better film than Primer, and I liked Primer.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I got around to watching Black Mirror's White Christmas and holy cow that is my new favorite Black Mirror episode. Dark sci-fi done right, each of the three vignettes was on point.

Yeah I really liked it. Jon Hamm owns.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

HBOGO has Mad Max: Fury Road if you somehow are on this forum and haven't seen it yet.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Cloud Atlas was more than enough Wachowski scifi to keep me from getting curious again for the rest of my life.

Sense8 owns

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Oscar Bait typically refers to the films of Tom Hooper

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

K. Waste posted:

K, church, what am I streaming tonight?

Netflix options
- Life (2015)
- A War (2015)
- Cemetery of Splendour (2015)
- The Big Short (2015)
- Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (2014)
- The Sting (1973)

HBO Options
- Black Mass (2015)
- Jem and the Holograms (2015)
- Suffragette (2015)
- Lost River (2014)

The Big Short. Do not watch Black Mass, it's really bad.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

WarEternal posted:

Wormwood is good as gently caress and everyone should watch it.

Not emptyquoting

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Anyone having trouble with the Prime Video client? I’ve noticed on Roku and iOS that it’s removed the majority of the categories and won’t let me access my channels.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I loved Buster Scruggs. It was extremely Coen-y.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, I loved The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

I’ve had “When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” stuck in my head all day.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I just watched First Reformed on Prime after missing it when it was in theaters. That was pretty heavy, but good as hell. I'm glad Schrader didn't go with the original ending he had in the script, even though I generally like super bleak stuff. This definitely makes me want to rewatch The Sacrifice. I watched that on a whim when I was a teenager and didn't really understand what was going on but it certainly left an impression. I also want to check out Ordet, but that doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere.

Also, Cedric the Entertainer was really good in this!

Megachurch pastor is a great role for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The Last Dragon is on Netflix and it owns