Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seriously, if they ever make another Star Trek series they shouldn't bother CGIing cities for alien planets, just send a team out to get some shots of some of the bizarre obscure buildings people in this thread are posting.

Shoulda done it for the old shows too. I mean, why bother making a matte painting of this:

When you can just go take a photo of this:

Take a snap, crop out the cars, call it a day, get lauded for how realistic the lighting on your your planetary art is.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grim Up North posted:

Use a wastewater processing plant and you don't need to crop out much.

If they ever shut that place down Paramount should buy it and turn it into a Star Trek museum.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geoff Zahn posted:

Next Generation had an episode filmed there as well - Season 1, Episode 8: Justice

Merge it with the Futurama pavillion and you get Starfleet HQ, too!

They got a lot of mileage out of that water processing plant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not a failure at all but I wanted to post the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne because it's so hilariously Aussie.

"We finished tiling the big dome! What a beautiful building this is gonna be!"
"But it was a lot of work... wanna just say gently caress it, throw corrugated iron on the rest, and go get a beer?"
"...yeah, whatever."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's like... deco gothic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

They look really cool but I bet it's a bitch and a half to heat.

Well, there's a reason bachelor robes have all that fur.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khazar-khum posted:

That's not the best part.

The best part are the Nationality Rooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality_Rooms

Wow. That's... amazing.

Brb enrolling. Imagine studying in those rooms every day.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As carparks go it's not too bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'd look a bit better if the top didn't extend out quite as far over the bottom, yeah, but it's pretty decent.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The Vegas strip is basically just a gigantic "who can build the gaudiest most eye-attracting building of all" contest and there's no uniformity and it looks like something out of a fever dream.

But we were so close to the greatest thing ever, in 1992.

(Paramount vetoed it at the last minute because they were afraid that it'd get daggy and rusted in 20 years and sit there dragging the franchise down)

(And yet they greenlit Voyager)

The engine nacelles and the parts of the saucer that weren't up over the neck were basically just going to be lightweight hollow empty sculptures, if you're wondering about the structure. The lower hull would contain a large Star Trek experience, 'crew quarters' that made up a Trek hotel, and set recreations so you could pretend the ship was real and explore it. Story here.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 30, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Accretionist posted:

I was annoyed by the table breakage until I realized it was really the only appropriate way to post the second largest building in the world

How do you figure? Admittedly using Wiki as a source, but it's not top ten by volume, footprint or floor area. (It's 330,000 m² floor, 2.55 million m³ volume)

Collateral Damage posted:

The chinese beat you to it.

Google Earth

Yeah that's pretty neat but it's not exactly a life-size detailed model.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Accretionist posted:

The file name. I retract my previous concession to table breakage :colbert:

Huh, the building's website claims it's the second largest building in the world behind the pentagon... which might've been true, like, 20 years ago when it was finished. If you rule out skyscrapers.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 30, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jehde posted:

Canadian brutalist universities? Sure!

I went to school on planet Tollana.

Also Caprica! And probably a bunch of other sci-fi.

quote:

The combination of brutalist archetecture and 'join us' works perfectly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is the Sydney Opera House postmodernism?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Frostwerks posted:

this actually exists and it loving owns

Reminds me a little (although that one's much blingier) of the Manchester Unity building here.

I always wondered what the tower rooms were like. 360 degree glass octagon, should be pretty cool.

Accretionist posted:

I'm not sure about other buildings, and that's frosted over grass.

But man if it were water wouldn't it be amazing. Just the Cathedral of Learning rising sheer out of water.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Houston in the 80s looks horrifying... but on the other hand, a part of me is going 'Oh yeah having parking like that would make driving in to work SO much easier'.

I mean, our cities are basically in a perpetual parking crisis. They did deal with it...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't have much experience but I really do feel like all american suburbs need is decent cheap fast train runs into the city.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

We've got trains, but the problem is that it's still a suburb. So people have to actually drive to the train station, which in my case has its 1000+ car lot filled to capacity for the day no later than 7 AM, and it cost me ~$18 round-trip per day when I was doing a daily commute to the city proper before considering gas to actually get to the train station in the first place, and b/c its strictly a commuter train that has to share the tracks with commercial trains it only runs for periods in the morning and afternoon, and only one way each time. its basically the bare minimum necessary to enable daily commuters and let the exurb fill its purpose as an exurb but it isnt remotely adequate to actually connect the exurbs to the city in a healthy or useful way for anything beyond 9-5 trips

Yeah, I was imagining lines that actually splayed out into the suburb itself, gave more of the suburb reasonable connectivity so you could just head down to the train station and hop on. Or possibly something like 'run a train through the suburb with regular stops, then perpendicular shuttle busses or light rail'. You know, an actually thought out train network rather than 'gently caress it, slap a line down'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Accretionist posted:

I wonder how many small cities have good public transit?

Like, I went to Linuxfest Northwest in Bellingham, WA and their bus coverage is better than most cities'. Next year, I don't think I'll even bring my car.

I'm pretty sure anyone working days or in the downtown could go for weeks in between having to use a car. And if they don't mind bicycling, they probably wouldn't even need one. And it's just a college town of 80K. I wonder how many generally unknown cities with good public transit there are?

The fact that it's a college town is probably a major cause of a good bus infrastructure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roy posted:

Flats in this old beaut are going for £375,000. It's not even that central.

Things like this always seemed confusing to me, just because if they're that expensive (simply due to location), you'd think they could spring for a bit of a refurbish, spruce it up a little.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

Re: all the city planning talk.

Couldn't every problem with parking and cities and the uglyness and everything just be fixed with enough underground parking garages?

gently caress it, let's just Midgar this baby and build big plates. Dedicate the underlevel to parking. :science:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brutalism is awesome in 0.001% of cases.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This thing had better be an aquarium or it's a complete waste of a design concept.

National Fisheries Development Board.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

hnnnnnng it hurts my brain

Honestly the one next to it is worse to me.

It's just so painfully generic but it's not even a box.

It's like they tried to do something but just lacked a single creative bone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

(Mostly) more modern stuff.

This would be rad as a police headquarters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nckdictator posted:

It's a pretty cool tower.

I really, really want it to spin.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gehry did actually lead a project to design a concept car of the future

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

therattle posted:

How do the lifts work? Are the shafts angled?

It looks like there's a place where you could draw a vertical line up the building. I'd imagine that's where both the lifts and the structural core are.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The old one's gorgeous and certainly a level above the new one. But the new one is isn't atrocious. It looks like it's degraded a bit, but with a minor refit to the surfaces to the left and right of the main hall it could be very nice. On the right, cover the concrete top and bottom of the windows with white rims matching the top of the main hall, and on the left... okay, just refront the non-glass surfaces, yellowing squares are out. And extend the ground floor aesthetic to both sides. Maybe as you do that move the zeitcafe to the right of the main hall where the bike racks are, I hate having things stick out the front and interrupt what was clearly meant to be a big sheet entrance. Like we won't know we want a coffee unless we literally bump into it on the way in, having it a few feet away apparently isn't enough.

That's just a two-second cheap remedy, but looking at it a bit more, I reckon if you put some thought into it you could bring out the 60s elements of the design and really make it shine. The big main hall and curve has some great era-reminiscent elements.

EDIT: man the inside of the station is just sexy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 11, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

C.M. Kruger posted:

It looks like it's set up so that the coffee shop is fully enclosed and has a separate outside entrance. To me it makes sense since it means people stopping to get a cup of coffee won't be going inside the station and then straight back out, or can get their coffee and go through to their train, and it's probably going to be quieter inside than if it was open to the station.

Yeah, I meant... the big glass wall is clearly intended to be a grand entrance, and they just blocked off most of it with shops and the extending coffee shop ruins the visual effect. See the bike racks on the right of the photo? I meant put extension in there in that corner, so it doesn't stick out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 11, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

left-side houses get odd numbers, right-side buildings get even numbers

But- :psyduck: oh never mind

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PenguinBob posted:

it's apparently stone underneath, but they added plasterboard cladding in the 80s and painted it to resemble the big pink granite courthouse on the left side of the picture. i can't find any pictures of how it originally looked.

"In 1987, our firm reconstructed the exterior of the five story Tarrant County Civil Courts building, in downtown Fort Worth. The purpose of the project was in effect, to provide a giant "canvas" for nationally recognized muralist, Richard Haas. Our contract involved extensive demolition on the face of the building, installing hundreds of anchors into the existing stone panels and installing prefabricated plaster panels. The muralist's crew then painted the trompe l'oeil mural that can be seen on the façade of the building today."

That is one fugly-rear end building. The 80s redo was basically a desperate attempt to just throw a blanket over the top until it went away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

That's awesome. Design a house that's not fit for purpose and become lionized as an American icon.

And the sad thing is they basically could've made it totally sound without compromising the truly brilliant design if he'd just been willing to work with the mechanical engineers and believe their simulations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kavak posted:

It looks like the prison room Starbuck was kept in on New Caprica.

Which, like her and Boomer's apartments on Caprica, were real apartments in the Waterfall Building in Vancouver.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 17, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've seen this in a scifi movie where, like, a black hole eats the building from the inside.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

therattle posted:

Good lord, that's appalling, allowing a tower to be sited there. I wonder how much money changed hands. How does one get to that island?

It's on a peninsula, not an island.

I wanna know how much money changed hands to get it on the heritage register.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 20, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

Yeah, this makes no sense. There'd be way more money in knocking it down than in keeping it. The neighbors all want it knocked down too. Maybe it's some Seidler fanboys doing it so Seidler can continue to be the worst architect ever from beyond the grave?

It was added in 93 back when he was alive. I think he probably bribed it through, he was stupidly proud of the awful thing.

Hah, from the register's 'reason for significance':

quote:

Its construction was a factor in a popular revolt against such types of development, particularly in this area. It was voted, in a popular poll, the building most Sydneysiders would like to see removed. 

Better heritage list it then! :downsgun:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RabbitWizard posted:

I wanna see all the rich people standing around an overflowing toilet and no one knows how to fix it, because all their knowledge is about high-frequency-trading and inheriting money.

(Wasn't there a movie where the earth gets destroyed or something and only billionaires get to escape in a spaceship? Make that one a comedy about the most useless and entitled crew ever. And then have them slowly choke to death because Enrique isn't there to change the air filters.)

Dunno, but there was the bit in the Hitchhiker's guide where the Golgafrinchans loaded all of the executive hairstylists and telephone sanitizers and lawyers and people like that into Ark B because the 'end of the world' was coming and told them that the A Ark would have all of the leaders and scientists and the C Ark would have all the people who actually did stuff, and they were right behind them. And then shot Ark B off into space.

Sadly, the Golgafrinchans were then wiped out by a disease contracted from a dirty telephone, and the B Ark crashed on a planet that eventually came to be known as Earth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

They don't say. I imagine it has something to do with the fact that the plan there doesn't include any storage space. That's just a tiny regular kitchen, no pantry, no storage rooms, etc., so they can't have more than a couple weeks of food in there. No utility room either. The residents are completely dependant on the company for food, water, electricity, and air. You follow the company's rules or they seal you in.

If I were building an underground supervillain lair I'd have all the survival supplies securely stored out of reach of the guests, guarded by my loyal henchmen. If I were particularly paranoid and spiteful (like a prepper) I'd probably rig explosives or something to the critical systems, so if the residents ever try to overthrow me I can destroy the water supply and doom us all.

Then again, capitalism. They probably won't even bother to put in the equipment and food supply necessary for hundreds of people to actually live in there for years. Why would they?

God, the number of different ways this could evolve into hell is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

This is the beach house of Barrie Marshall of Denton Corker Marshall architects.
It's probably more odd than terrible, I can't decide if I like it or not.

http://architectureau.com/articles/phillip-island-house-by-denton-corker-marshall/

That could be really nice if they actually did something with it. A nice, subtle bit of gardening and yard layout inside and some cladding on the concrete.

• Locked thread