Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SA2K posted:

You can't build a tree house in California without years of red tape. Oakland in particular is insanely difficult

It took them like 10 years to decide whether to build a dog park.

It ended up failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Its Miller Time posted:

I'd love to see the North and South Korea dynamic that would happen if we could succeed in getting rid of the heartland.

One side has the people and the other side has the food.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Glumslinger posted:

The LA Times had a little slideshow of the current proposed stadiums, and also included a drawing of a proposed Carson stadium from the 90s:

Look at that loving thing, it amazing

That would go perfectly in the University of Texas campus.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Qwijib0 posted:

"The proposed open air stadium would be built in Mission Valley, a community just north of downtown San Diego."

unless I just got whooshed and :thejoke:

There was a similar stadium proposal for Atlanta (?) where the top contracted like a camera.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Metapod posted:

San Antonio

If this happens I will be a Raiders fan for life.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

Make them a traveling team. :pirate:

They're already the most travelled team so gently caress it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darth Brooks posted:

Move the Raiders into the NFC and Al Davis would rise up like one of the Draugers in Skyrim and Fus Do Rah Goodell off the mountain.

Fair trade.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KettleWL posted:

smh if you actually believe this

I can believe that WCF was dumb enough to post a loss on an NFL team.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

warcrimes posted:

The city of Oakland didn't even submit a plan today, fyi

I've been ready for the LA Raiders for a while now.

I hope this means the Raiders get decent again.

I mean just in general since their colors are too good to waste.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Elephanthead posted:

That halftime show would be fantastic and worth the price of admission. Why has the superbowl never been in Mexico City?

The past 20 years have not really been the best in Mexico.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FuriousxGeorge posted:

What makes San Antonio a better destination than St. Louis?

Well, first there have been preliminary talks (even if it was as a dumb negotiation tactic). They have roughly the same population, so I think it's that Texas would really like another sports team and hey the Raiders have same colors as the Spurs and they're not really beloved right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JRizzle posted:

St. Louis city might be going downhill, but the suburbs are where everyone lives and STL still has a larger metropolitan area than San Antonio by a lot.

2.8 versus 2.2 million which isn't that much more. Plus the St Louis metro area goes like 60 miles away from the city and if you 60 miles north from San Antonio you begin to hit Austin.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chilichimp posted:

I wonder what shocking tragedy they'll use to define their generation?

Not a tragedy, but seeing a black dude (and probably a woman) become President is noteworthy.

Also all the gay stuff. And :420:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

Before this 40 years in the desert, the raiders had a winning record against every non-recent expansion team in the league except the chiefs.

The Raiders as a franchise are still one of the winningest teams of all time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sash! posted:

George Lucas has a ton of cash right now.

Lord Vader and Al Davis were close personal friends too, as I recall.

After George trolled a bunch of NIMBYs by building low income housing on his land, he'd be the perfect dude to own the Raiders IMO.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whNOfvyPpaM

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrLogan posted:

Raiders put field on an aircraft carrier and travel up and down the west coast.

Only if it's named "The Autumn Wind".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
LA Raiders/Rams would be cool like how NY Giants/Jets is cool.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Rams are the most likely to actually move, after that it gets hairy because the Chargers seem to have the (other) best laid out plan but the Raiders have the strongest fan support.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nail Rat posted:

The problem with this theory is most city councils/governors don't actually care about whether they're being financially responsible. It's not their money, after all.

Even beyond that though, there's a social benefit to sports programs that isn't directly represented in financial numbers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yudo posted:

Like what that would be better than spending those hundreds of millions on social programs and redevelopment?

Probably not, but the choice probably isn't between that, it's between building a stadium and building gentrified property development that kicks all the poor people out anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/687074243062951936

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ehud posted:

@msmallm2: St. Louis comes up with $400 mil of public money. OAK does nothing and gets league money and keeps their team. What a time to be alive.

Why is Oakland staying? I don't get it.

There's really nowhere better to go (unless you really like San Antonio), the NFL doesn't want 3 teams in LA and the Raiders don't have the money to go it alone.

Plus they're kinda on the upswing while the 49ers are still reforming themselves so they'll probably reap the benefits of the Bay Area market for the near future.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Huh, so if San Diego does get a deal through we might see Rams/Raiders after all.

Probably not, but it is an interesting idea.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pathetic little tramp posted:

I dunno what the gently caress that third one means

Maybe he works at the stadium or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bip Roberts posted:

Who has @LARams. Gotta change that twitter.

Is it case sensitive? Because if not, https://twitter.com/larams

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Volkerball posted:

estadio azteca. it loving owns. i'm all for the mexico city bandidos.

The Raiders and Texans(?) are doing a game there next season or the one after.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quest For Glory II posted:

i didnt see one that had massive pollution so i doubt either did

The Beijing Maos.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nail Rat posted:

How's he going to pay the $550 million relocation fee without selling the team?

It's entirely possible they'll waive it, especially if they're going to a profitable market like St Louis.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bip Roberts posted:

Uhh, isn't the problem that St Louis isn't a profitable market?

It might be less profitable than LA, but it's more profitable than not having it and splitting the Bay Area market.

I think San Antonio might be the best bet right now though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Febreeze posted:

The only people I ever hear talk about putting a pro football team in Portland are people who don't live here and are just looking at the population density and deciding it's enough people to support a team. There isn't going to be a team here, it's just not happening. There is nowhere in the city to put it because of how dense the city is packed because of the anti-sprawl laws and the housing issues you mentioned. You could probably stick it in Beaverton or one of the other suburbs if they vote for it, there's more room out there and we should always be looking for ways to make 26 more of a traffic nightmare.

But this is a city that got extremely loving mad over the possibility of putting a teeny weeny bit of fluoride in the water. We aren't voting to approve an NFL team.

I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility, and if the team really gets into the local vibe in it's marketing like the Timbers did I could maybe see it working, but for the most part I think it's just not going to happen. Nobody cares. The people here are content to root for the Seahawks and the Ducks, with Californian transplant 49er fans making up a smaller percentage and everyone else either rooting for the team they grew up with (Because we are all transplants) or not giving a poo poo about football whatsoever. During all this re-location talk nobody I've talked to here even brought up the desire for one.

There's not even enough population density, they need like another million people in between there and Salem before it becomes viable.

My proposal is to wait until Cuba is all repaired with relations (which should be about 2019 if Raul steps down) and then start a Latin American division. You can do Havana, Puerto Rico, Mexico City and...the Bahamas. Or Haiti, or something.

kiimo posted:

I have zero problem saying that San Diego is a superior city in every conceivable way you can measure that.

San Diego was more sprawly the last time I was down there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kiimo posted:

I know I'm supposed to hate Kroenke but he is businessing circles around other businessers. He's making them look like total chumps at this point and an insider was just on the radio saying the way this is going is increasingly that Kroenke will own the LA market alone and the Chargers and Raiders will use their 100m to stay in their towns.

Neither team apparently wants to be the lamprey to Kroenke.

Unless the City of Oakland likes the $100 million contribution it looks likely that the Raiders are moving somewhere. Might as well be LA since they have the established history there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kiimo posted:

I'm confused what you mean by "likes the 100m". Mostly because I'm ignorant of the problems in Oakland with building a new stadium.

Oakland doesn't want to give money for a new stadium. They might be okay with giving $100 million less. But probably not, from what I heard about the city.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Move to Corpus Christi and rebrand as the Caribbean Raiders.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MechaFrogzilla posted:

e. actual news: did we know that Mark Davis owns a possible stadium site north of San Antonio? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25450564/report-raiders-have-secured-land-near-san-antonio-for-possible-move

Hmm, and he has some billionaire backers too, so that would relieve a lot of the stress of moving fees and the like.

I think the most likely scenario is that they stay in Oakland for 2016, assess the situation in LA, and make preliminary deals with San Antonio if dealing with the Rams is too onerous.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blitz7x posted:

*Reminder that the relocation fee to move an NFL team and Mark Davis' net worth are pretty equal*

The billionaires in San Antonio will pay it no problem.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Move the Lions back to Portsmouth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zurreco posted:

San Diego has a huge population and one of the worst public transit systems for a top 20 city. Everyone drives everywhere, which is why Qualcomm's parking lot is so huge and why it's so hard to get around in that part of town anywhere near game time.

Same with Houston, which is the 4th largest city in the US.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Guess San Antonio will have to wait another year :v:

If they move there, they'd be going to Texas while I (probably) head to California. :sigh:

If they're at Inglewood though, that'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ross Angeles posted:

You forgot 5.) Going wherever the Chargers decide to not go. LA or San Diego.

LA would be the most preferable for them I think. Then maybe San Antonio/Vegas/Whatever they can get a great deal with. Then maybe a Hail Mary for SD/St Louis.

• Locked thread