Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Lamadrid posted:

That thing looks tacky as poo poo :stare:

You shut your whore mouth! That is the most beautiful stadium concept I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Rasczak posted:

Hey, I was also in 3rd grade when that happened! My class wheeled in a TV because there was that teacher astronaut so we were all watching it live when it happened

Boy did that turn awkward in a hurry

Kindergarten... Went outside to see it live... Growing up in Central Florida had its perks.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Frackie Robinson posted:

How much money do teams make from people actually coming to games compared to what they make from TV (which is split equally right?)? Or is it more about merch and brand value?

IIRC most of the the money made in the stadium goes to the team itself. There was some general fund for 40% of ticket sales and the like, but sponsorship and advertising isn't shared.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Wait... Sue US?! Was Bob McNair a minority owner somewhere? I thought Al was done suing people by 2003ish.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

I'm not sure how the Vegas tourist taxes are divided up but in Orlando the room taxes and other tourist taxes can ONLY be spent on improving certain things in a given section of the city. Which is one of the reasons why the Orange County Convention Center was able to keep up with Vegas as the largest / second largest convention center in the nation. So these taxes in Orlando don't go to fund roads or schools or welfare or some other program. They're dipping into future convention center expansion.

That said if the room taxes ever fall below that $50M or whatever then the city is on the hook. So that may be one of the reasons why Vegas is "different" then say Oakland or San Diego and a Vegas stadium may make financial sense.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Do we know how the bed taxes or other taxes in LV are allocated? Orlando - another large tourist destination- can ONLY spend its bed taxes on certain things, like a convention center, and required a near act of God to get that money spent on the Citrus Bowl and the Orlando Arena.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

You would think that the city with the most convention space on Earth could find some classrooms?

This read like it was Northern NV near Reno not LV

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Zurreco posted:

Your hunch is off. NHL is really only open to the last team in Seattle, Portland, Toronto, or Quebec City.

They brought the Gulls back because VVC Center is under utilized and the team always made money and should never have left.

I know the GTA is like Canada's New York but does the NHL think there is enough support for a second team? Are they hoping to bleed off the Toronto Habs support? Where are you going to stick them? Mississauga?

TLDR - Toronto supporting two teams seems kind of dumb.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Phobeste posted:

You all talking confused about teriyaki like you've never had Chinese Mexican food

Chino Bandito was one of the finest things Phoenix had to offer. I miss it over a decade later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I hope that this coming season is the year all of the teams change cities.

The New Orleans Dolphins and Salt Lake Saints are ready for action.

Personally, I will become a fan of my state cat, the Bengal, when they too move to Salt Lake and become the Salt Lake Bengals.

The Saints vs the Bengals can be the new Deseret War

• Locked thread