Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I do too but I'm always leery of first-gen Apple products. I'm really going to want to snag one day one, but I know I should just wait a year.

How expensive are the watches going to be? If it starts at $300-400, that isn't as bad as being out $500-600 like the original iPad, and while its a bit crazy to say "oh just sell your watch in a year and upgrade" that likely will be a good option in a year with Apple resale values.

The new Pebble has me considering that instead, but I think I'm still just getting the Apple Watch and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

What's the expected battery life or do we not know that yet

Unknown, but given that Apple avoided talking about it in the Watch presentation, I would bet it's charge every night or every other night. If it was a week long battery that would be a killer feature.

Eh, what's an extra plug next to my phone at night?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

I think there are going to be a lot of Apple Watches that end up in drawers. I'm pretty pessimistic on the whole smart watch concept. People will get caught up in the hype, buy one, and then realize they don't actually want to wear a watch every minute of every day.

well, its obviously going to differ person to person, but I got bought in after having my original Pebble for a bit. Honestly, most of what the watches do is "frills," it really comes down to getting a notification on your wrist means you can leave your phone in your pocket, so less distractions. I haven't even had a watch that had the ability to respond or do much else and it has been pretty useful so far.

I never wore a watch before this either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the debate on the Apple Watch Edition is a bit silly. No one here is likely going to buy it, whether it sells well or not, it's a huge marketing boost that gets people talking about the Apple Watch. Probably 80% of the US population is now aware of a smart watch if only because a $10K watch provokes everyone to give an opinion.

So the real question for me is the debate between Sport and regular, and whether it's worth the upgrade? I'll get the watch, so I see one of 4 price points:

$400 for Sport watch, larger size. Sport band.
$600 for regular watch, sport band.
$550 for Sport watch, nicer band (Milanese, Leather, whichever)
$750 for regular watch, nicer band.

So I guess it's two questions: is the nicer watch worth the upgrade, and are the nicer bands worth the upgrade?

Edit: one more question: did Apple say if 3rd parties will be allowed to make bands for the watch?

Ugh, I will say, realizing you can get an iPad Air 2 for these prices is a bit of a downer.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 10, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Honestly what's the better watch pebble time steel or apple watch sport?

My bet is that it'll come down to if price is more important, the pebble time will do a great job for the main point of a smart watch (time telling plus notifications). If you want more functionality, pay more for the Apple Watch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

Many people don't take their watches off at night. Not everyone has big annoying watches.

Then buy a pebble is you want a smart watch with longer battery life. I'll admit I'm still a bit torn on pebble time vs apple watch.

But yeah, no one is forcing anyone to buy the apple watch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

If you think apple is Doing everything they can do and that's 18 hours you're a fool fan boy who will defend anything. Just admit you're a shill. It's fine. But acting other wise is just sad

That's nice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dude that's not the future that's loving lame.

No you're lame dad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have the sport space gray watch favorited myself, prepared for preorder.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I went to the Apple Store to try on the sport and regular watch (I preordered space gray sport already).

The regular watch is noticeably heavier. For that reason alone I'm glad I got the sport.

The sport bands are really, surprisingly nice. Looks wise I guess will always be debated, but they fit well.

The watch felt a bit blocky on my wrist. Not sure if that was me overthinking it or not.

And finally: the watch itself looked fine, and the screen is awesome. The tap notifications are really different than pebble but I guess I'll get used to them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

It seems that if you ordered either watch in Space Gray (like I did with the sport), you're pretty screwed right now in terms of getting it tomorrow.

Eh, it's a disappointing since I would have liked to have it tomorrow, but at this point people should have the expectations that ordering for an Apple launch day is always a roll of the dice, plus you have to factor in a whole new product for this launch.

I still remember when they launched the 5C they had such an overstock because Apple overestimated who would get a 5C on launch. Business wise I wouldn't blame them for being conservative on how many watches they make, and low supply only drives up demand anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Question on notifications now that the watch is out:

How do they work for non stock apps? Is it like pebble where any banner notification shows up? I don't use apple messages (I use google voice) so I'm curious how i can expect notifications from apps like that to work?

I'm guessing google will have to add the functionality to allow the ability to reply from the watch?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kenderama posted:

That is a good guess. You can't even reply to Facebook from the watch, only Mail and Messages from what I have seen so far.

Gotcha. Honestly, the main thing I need is notifications, not the response ability as much, so it looks like I'll be able to see everything, which is enough for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My apple watch (42mm space gray sport) was slated to be delivered may 13-27. Got a notification of label created on Sunday, watch arrived today.

I'm liking it overall, not seeing a lot of uses yet for the crown, every instance so far I find myself just using the touchscreen instead.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
First day with the watch, 65% after the whole day. Granted, I didn't use it a ton, but the battery life is looking to be good enough.

I think it drains the phone battery noticeably more, but I couldn't say for sure yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have the 42mm and personally it's a little smaller than expected. Not bad, but if anyone is worried about it being big, I would definitely try it on first because you might be surprised.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

The glances UI is only weird if you try to use it to fully control your apps. The Watch is built on an entirely different philosophy from the iPhone, in that the app screen is a place you'll rarely be and only if you want finer control over watch functions. Want to just shuffle your music library? Use the music glance. Want to get a summary of your daily activity? Use that glance. Want a quick update on the weather? Use that one. Plus, just tapping the glance brings you to the app without ever having to go through the app screen and doubleclicking the crown takes you right back to the watchface. Yeah, it's weird at first, but it's exceptionally intuitive and easy to pick up; you'd have to have some kind of brain damage not to get it after at most two days of wearing one.

Honestly, I really like my Apple Watch so far, but I legit never use the glances so far except for music. I think it's more just poor implementation, so far I can't find glances that give enough on one screen. (Weather is closest). Calendar is a great example, the glance screen really doesn't do much (one single calendar appointment) so I'm better of checking the app.

apple watch is great for notifications, and once the main communication apps update to support it (hangouts, group me, etc), that right there is what I need it for. And The actual calendar app is awesome.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

So is it possible to start a call on my phone and then hand it off to the watch? I'm a weird fringe case, but there are times at work this would be super useful.

I have tried and can't figure out how to do that. I'm in the same boat, sometimes when I am at home I would make a transition like that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

I'm not sure what your friend means by "doesn't react well", but we use a lot of isopropyl alcohol at work and I haven't noticed anything with either of my bands - that said, any contact in my case would be incidental/minor.

Weird issue for me, the NY Times app seems to keep uninstalling and reinstalling itself every couple weeks. I haven't checked to see if it's in conjunction with any phone app updates, but it is annoying in that it resets the app's position on the home screen and also moves the glance to the furthest-right position in my glances.

I had the ny times issue (disappear and reappear) once so far.

I keep waiting for Sonos to make an app for the Watch. That is exactly an example of where the watch can really shine.

Edit: apparently someone launched a 3rd party app for Sonos that works on the watch. Just downloaded and tried it, seems solid so far. Called Zoneplay if anyone is interested.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 2, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My uses for the apple watch two months in (in order of importance):

Notifications
Apple pay(my favorite feature)
Steps and work out
Music control
Sonos music control
Apple TV control
Calendar
New York Times (pretty rare)
Weather

I would probably use it for messaging more, but I use google voice so that just doesn't happen.

In response to spending a lot of money for something that does not much: I would overall agree. The watch isn't the iPhone, it isn't essential. But it is a nice add on. My opinion is that most non tech people should just get the pebble. But for me, I honestly don't regret it.

I've been keeping an eye on the 3rd party bands, but the sport band is really comfortable for me, so I just haven't found a reason to. I would consider the Milanese loop, but I have a space gray sport so I don't think it would match that well.

I hate the "reminder to stand" function. First thing I turned off. But I stand for 10 hours a day in retail, so it really doesn't apply to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

I just got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZR705NS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It seems pretty great for the price after wearing it for a few days.

If it says for apple watch 38mm, will it still fit the 42 at all?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here use the workout apps on their apple watch? If I log an activity through health kit, it gives me a ton of options to label it as, and ones I use like from weights, indoor cycling, racquetball, etc. but when I go to the workout app on the watch, it only gives me 7 options plus "other," and I can't figure out a way to edit the options.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I got this Watch band, and if you are looking for a cheap Milanese knock off it isn't bad. The clasp is hard to adjust, but once you get it you don't have to keep changing it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6WE5DM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Edit: one other thing, worth mentioning the Milanese look looks pretty nice on the space gray sport watch.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 1, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Many also have timers on them or other useful functions. And will never be obsolete. And look much nicer. And will retain their value far better.

Smart watches are extremely useful for the notifications alone. It's just that $400+ is drat expensive. The Apple Watch is cool, but for most people the pebble (whichever version) will get similar features for a way cheaper cost.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

And looks like a piece of poo poo. I realize this comes of superficial, but watches are, ultimately, accessories/jewelry, so looking attractive is actually important.

I would agree that looks are important for watches for most people.

For me, I've never worn a watch before the pebble (and now Apple Watch). It's preference, I don't think they look bad, although I've seen watches that are def extremely nice looking. They look nice enough for me, I got a cheap, decent looking band, I'm good.

"It's the most personal device ever," which while retarded sounding probably does ring true that different people will have different preferences.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

killa-pope posted:

I bought this one for my watch and phone. Has a decently heavy base so it doesn't move, and a bit of rubber matting around the watch charger to help it stay in position. Still twists a bit when you bump it but not horribly so.

Seconding this for the watch. I don't like it as a phone stand, but the watch stand by itself is still great.

For my Apple Watch I just need one charger for my nightstand (the one above) and one for travel. Not bad at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought the regular watch was too heavy when I tried it on, so that plus price was why I went with the sport.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

badjohny posted:

I can confirm that I was just able to get the Apple Watch at target, price matched with Best Buy and a $100 gift card.

Can't beat that deal.

So $200 for an Apple Watch Sport (factoring the $100 gift card)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

Thinking of picking up a watch, but just wondering whether it's worth waiting until the second version comes out. Is there a consensus or rumour about when we should expect another model? Or if that will even be a significant enough upgrade to wait for?

At this point I would definitely wait. I still wear my watch, but the apps are all pretty slow so I just don't use them anymore. I use it mostly for notifications and time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

So wait I was an rear end in a top hat because I called it a piece of poo poo before it came out, and right as it came out, but now it's OK to poo poo on it? Man, I guess I have bad timing.

Seriously. Get a pebble time steel. I'm trying to improve your lives.

It's ok for everyone to poo poo in it except you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I could see the watch gettin annoying if you're typing for hours. Sometimes if I have to type up something quick I will take my watch off because it is annoying to wear it while typing on a keyboard (typing on an iPad doesn't bother me).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Refurbished Apple products from anywhere that isn't Apple is usually a bad idea. I would bet Best Buy and target occasionally have Watch sales anyway if you look enough.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How is everyone liking the watch beta?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just took my watch in the Atlantic Ocean for about 15 mins and it seems fine (forgot I had it on).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to bite the bullet, upgrade my original Apple Watch and give my Apple Watch to my wife. I use the watch enough that it'll be worth it.

I can't determine if the Nike bands are ugly or not ugly. My choice is between that or another black watch band. I have a few other bands, but I get them offline to avoid the Apple premium.

I wish it had its own cell chip though. I honestly wouldn't use it often, but it would be nice in a pinch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My preorder date for the watch 2 is Sept 30th delivery (space gray aluminum), so hopefully that's just apple shipping being wrong. It gave a pickup date for launch day in store, there's just. I wish I could get there at any time that weekend due to work.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Jealous of everyone who got watches today. My preorder for space gray is still showing Sept 30th, bummer I can't get it quicker. I may try and grab one on my next day off and cancel that order.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I've seen people on reddit who got 26th-28th shipping dates who's S2s have already shipped/arrived, so 30th shouldn't be too far behind. (I'm 30th as well :negative:)

Mine got updated today and shipped. I get it Tuesday the 20th. Hooray!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm in Us (PA), ordered space gray series 2 with nylon black band (already have a sport band).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Impression after half a day with the S2:

it's just so much faster. I tried Watch OS3 on my first gen Apple Watch, and the software help, but you can see the difference in processor for sure. I loaded up google maps in about 3 seconds, Apple Maps then loaded just as quickly, and when I went to map view in Apple maps it loaded in 3-5 seconds tops. That used to take literally 15-20 seconds an app easily. Much better. Apps in general will probably be way more useful. The only app missing for me that is annoying is Hangouts, which who knows if google will release a Watch app.

New OS is nice, I wish they had play/pause in the control center swipe up, but I changed a complication to music and that helps.

The S2 makes a loud noise when you eject water. Given how they described the speaker ejecting water, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but it's pretty funny.

I would say between the S1 and S2 it's pretty much do you need water proof or GPS, but definitely definitely the processor makes the jump so much better on whichever you get.

• Locked thread