Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Being the passenger of someone who refuses to park in any open parking space because it's too far from the front entrance. I know I can't really say much because I'm not the one driving but in the time it's taken to circle the lot 5 times hoping to catch someone as they leave we could have taken one of the empty spots near the back, walked the extra 40 feet and be inside already. Its even more annoying when we're going to the mall or something where we'll be on our feet for a while anyway. That extra minute and a half of walking isn't going to kill you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Strategic Tea posted:

Also, why does everyone think that the details of their specific childhood are the true essentials to raising a kid?

There's a certain type of person that is super defensive about any implication that there's something wrong with them, to the point of imagining that any parent deciding to raise their kid differently than they were are saying "I don't want my kid to end up like you". You get this a lot whenever spanking comes up but I've also seen people get pissy about punishing bullies and enrolling in art programs instead of sports.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I may be misremembering but I think early automatic doors DID use pressure pads. Some people just never got the update that the technology has improved, I guess.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Thin Privilege posted:

And of course there's the opposite end of the spectrum, which is when people don't respond to your texts at ALL.

Hey you said you wanted to do [ x ], do you want to do it this weekend?
*crickets*

I have a friend who does this but only when he already has committed to other plans. Apparently he doesn't want to disappoint us by saying no, like we're going to be pissed that its his sister's birthday or something. What's way more annoying is waiting around to find out if he needs a ride to wherever we're going when we could've left hours ago.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Murphy Brownback posted:

Software-related annoyances: Loading animations that give no indication of what it is working on. What was wrong with the old-fashioned progress bars? With those you could at least tell if it was getting stuck, and if so, on what part of the process so you could try and figure out what's wrong. The endless spinny circle things though don't tell you anything, and every time I think it's stuck and hit back, the page ends up finishing loading but i have to go through it all over again because I pushed back.

People (the average joes who aren't trying to troubleshoot, I mean) get more annoyed by loading times if they can see how slowly the process is going and how much more they have to go.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Just make sure you say the word right if you must use it, nobody thinks it's funny if you, for example, go around germany saying "donkey shain" to people like my dad did.

My dad does that too but with "silver plate" and "mercy bucket" instead of please and thank you.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Indolent Bastard posted:

So how do I say “I bow to godly/good qualities within you"? What's the approved white guy equivalent?

"Noice."

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Blue Star posted:

My pet peeve is that it's going to be 86 loving degrees on Halloween where I live. That's way too warm. I've always loved this part of the year because it was crisp and cool. It still gets pretty chilly at night but the days are too drat warm. Granted I live in Georgia and it never gets very cold, but it should still be 10 to 15 degrees cooler than it is.

Last year it was 75 degrees on loving Christmas. It actually freaked me out.

Happy Halloween from Canada!

Edit: beaten, sorta

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I just learned this term in another thread so I'm putting it here: jukebox musicals. Movies which are ostensibly musicals but most/all of the songs are just contemporary songs. Its especially aggravating in animated films because usually those movies have at least some element of fantasy to them, completely ruined when a character sings something you'd hear on the radio. The worst offender I've seen was The Book of Life. I started watching it on Netflix because Guillermo del Toro was involved and I thought the visual style was interesting but had to shut it off half way through because the dead mariachi skeleton guy bust out his guitar and started singing Creep by Radiohead.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
The best instructional videos on youtube are the ones where they record their screen and open up notepad to type out annotations in real-time, despite having a microphone turned on and picking up the keyboard clacks, muffled breathing and TV in the background.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

BioEnchanted posted:

I hate when people get weird about me not liking shows that are considered "classics". I never gave a poo poo about Buffy or Rugrats, the former not out of dislike or disdain but out of a lack of shits given and the latter because I found the babytalk jokes obnoxious and repetitive and hated the artstyle, but if I ever mention it publicly all I get is contarian answers like "It's a classic, how can you hate it?" which is not a rebuttal due to it being my opinion.

On a related note, when someone is flabbergasted that you haven't seen a particular movie/show/whatever. I have a friend who's otherwise great to talk about movies with but she gives me this wide-eyed, slack-jawed expression of disbelief if I admit I haven't seen whatever semi-obscure film as if I'm an alien and she just saw through my human disguise.
I mean, what's wrong with "Oh, it's really good! We should watch it sometime"?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Brawnfire posted:

Bonus is how button layout may change drastically as an app loads data, so you can hit an entirely different button than the one you're aiming for. I constantly share weird things to people instead of uploading them to my drive due to this.

This is the woooorst. I swear some websites somehow know when I'm about to click a text field on my phone because it'll suddenly load a huge ad that shifts everything down the page.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Do they still sell those "athletic" earbuds that wrap around your ear? I use an old pair when I go running and they stay in place just fine.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I've got a new upstairs neighbour in my building and the dude has a real hard time figuring out what floor he's on. It's been a week and just about every day I hear him at my door trying to unlock it with his keys until I tell him he's got the wrong floor. Yesterday he did it twice! He seems like a harmless space-case and is always very apologetic but the longer this goes on the more I'm convinced that he's just waiting for the day I accidentally leave my door unlocked so he can swipe my TV or something.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My pet peeve is when a comedian is referred to as a "funnyman".

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Flash mobs are the dumbest thing. My first year of undergrad was when they started becoming "a thing", and you'd always see people in the public areas practicing or getting invitations on facebook to go pretend to be a zombie and it's just like....why? The vast majority of people seem annoyed or confused when flash mobs start doing their thing, I rarely see people actually enjoy watching/listening to them. Even if you try to understand it from the "wanting attention" thing it doesn't make sense because individuals don't really stick out in them. It just seems like pointless work that ultimately goes unappreciated and/or despised by the audience.

They aren't looking for attention from the people physically there. They want to be a part of something that people will be talking about the next day so they can tell everyone they were involved and bask in THAT attention.

And some, I guess, genuinely just like to perform and misjudge how much others like to have a performance interrupt their day.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

artsy fartsy posted:

DON'T TELL ME WHEN TO CROSS, YOU FUCKS.

Yeah sorry, this one's on you. Pedestrians always have the right of way and the SUV driver was only obeying the law. Even if you don't want to cross in front of a vehicle for whatever reason, try making eye contact and waving them through next time instead of projecting your intentions telepathically.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
If your favorite color is red, you're a boring rear end dullard, guaranteed.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm all for all products being packaged like in Repo Man

I hope he gives them time to settle before he opens those.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
So you're telling me you don't tear out the middle of a loaf and stuff the toppings in like a Thanksgiving turkey??

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My jack-o-lantern peeve is when people have to bust out the dremels and poo poo to make a lovingly rendered bas relief R2D2 or whatever. This is a children's holiday craft, what are you trying to prove?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

credburn posted:

People who change the lyrics when singing a popular song at karaoke to align with their gender/sexuality. Nobody is going to think you're gay because you're singing a popular song everyone knows the lyrics to but is about (((gasp))) a man. The last minute change from him to her just screams insecurity.

My favourite example of this kind of thing is Micheal Buble's cover of Santa Baby. He changes "baby" to "buddy" and alters a few lines in the verses but it's still very obviously a song about seducing Santa so he'll give you expensive presents.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Brawnfire posted:

Literally gently caress everything

Challenge accepted

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

DontMockMySmock posted:

:agreed:

I didn't even like it before when they had credit card readers. Just let me put some loving coins in the drat thing. I shouldn't have to gently caress around with the Internet of poo poo just to have clean loving clothes.

My current building has coin op laundry and it sucks. Even if I use cash for all my day to day shopping I rarely have 4 bucks in quarters in my change pile so I've got to make a trip to the bank just to withdraw a roll anyway. These machines also seem not to recognize any coin minted in current century so sometimes I end up not being able to do my laundry after all. Give me a laundry card I can top up with debit any day

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't understand why otherwise intelligent people say things like "You're bias!" instead of "You're biased!". This is second grade language arts, and you're a grown adult.

I have bad news about the reading comprehension level of most adults.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My bluetooth pet peeve is this pair of cheap grocery store earbuds I bought just to have a pair to run with that I won't mind losing. When the battery's low, the ear buds let you know by pausing the playback, beeping loudly in your ears and a robot voice tells you to charge them. This happens every 60 seconds, more often if one earbud has slightly more charge than the other. So basically the manufacturer reduced the already terrible battery life of their product by making the ear buds unusable for the last 15% of their charge.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

oldpainless posted:

If everyone just drove like me there would be no traffic problems

Same.

(I don't drive)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Can the "tell me you're ____ without telling me you're ____" meme just die already? It's already barely a joke when you fill the blank with one or two words but so many people forget it's even supposed to be funny and make it into a big cumbersome run-on sentence.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Apr 29, 2023

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't care the Barbie movie one way or the other; its marketing has been obnoxiously aggressive from day one (Pepto pink everywhere). But thanks to the never ending culture wars, everyone "has" to have an opinion on it.

My pet peeve isn't the movie itself but the fact that everything is another flashpoint in the culture war these days.

Same. The amount of marketing for Barbie kept me from seeing it in theatres on principal, but I keep having to assure people that it's not for any misogynous reasons. I'm sure it's good, I'm just waiting to catch it on Netflix!

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Aug 7, 2023

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Riatsala posted:

I don't care if your coffee shop has no wi-fi but if you tell me to 'pretend it's 1992' you can't get mad at me for making GBS threads my pants and spilling apple juice on the floor

Pretend it's 1992? Okay, I'll have a 75 cent coffee and a table in the smoking section, please.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I'm a reformed picky eater who would order my burgers with just ketchup and cheese. Even back then, if I got one with the works by mistake, I would just take the extra toppings off myself, including scraping off the mustard and mayo. If you're getting them to make you a whole new one because of a few milliliters of pickle juice residue, you're a huge baby, sorry. Even if the pickle flavor completely overpowers the rest of the food (it won't), you'd be better off if you just eat it anyway and finally acquire a taste for them.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh my god people from online parenting group, please stop referring to your babies with a million nicknames like “squank” and “stinky” and “pukelord”

I’ve got two babies, who have seven names each, and I still manage to refer to them by appropriate names and not some dumb nickname like they’re an unwanted dog. They are babies, but also fuckin people who will one day use their real names and not Squank

When I was a kid my dad would refer to me and my sister as Poop and Scoop and we'd argue over who got to be Poop.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

The Mighty Moltres posted:

When I was Christmas shopping last year, I sat down on a bench to wait for the person I was with, and an old man politely asked if he could join me. Of course I said yes, and we exchanged a few pleasantries.
After a couple minutes of silence, he leaned over to me and whispered "It's so hard when you can't tell if they're a boy or a girl."
I was taken aback for a moment, then asked "Why do you need to?"
He said "I don't know, it's fun to guess."
I got up and left, because I literally did not know what else to say, especially considering anything I could say would have no effect on a bigoted mind like that.

I had similar and also very weird conversation with a real old guy on the bus once. We made small talk about the stuff he bought at the grocery store and then he pulled out a newspaper and showed me an article about a sex convention happening in town to ask me what I thought about it. I said it wasn't my thing but I think it's healthier to be open minded about that kind of thing rather than to repress it. He nodded quietly, pulled out a foreign coin (in one of those coin collecting sleeves) for my troubles, and forgot all his groceries when he got off the bus.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Tiggum posted:

The thing I hate is when they make up narratives about the individual animals instead of just telling me facts about the species. I want to look at monkeys and hear interesting facts about monkeys, not watch an inferior version of Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp.

Same here. It's always super obvious that the narrative is coming mostly though editing and makes watching nature docs, which I love, feel like watching reality TV, which I hate.

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Mar 5, 2024

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Mister Speaker posted:

^ I am just barely old enough to have had an Erector set as a kid. I think it was a pumpjack. There are so many childishly funny ways to read those last two sentences.

Something that bugs me a bit is 'funny' short videos that are just someone filming themselves talking to themselves, cutting back and forth between two angles to indicate that they're 'playing' two characters having a conversation. Sometimes they'll wear a wig in one shot to really drive it home. Very rarely are these actually funny at all. They strike me as self-indulgent more of the time, and dare I say, cringe.

Some people can do it to good effect though - Atun-Shei Films is pretty good at actually playing two distinct characters, but that channel has, you know, a point.

My girlfriend gets served up those back-and-forth videos on TikTok all the time and they drive me up the wall. Its always a huge multi-part STDH spiel about someone very calm and polite who works in hairdressing and their absolutely horrible moron of a client. I hate it enough when a story is filled with obvious lies and embellishments in a real life conversation-- Why anyone would willingly stick around to hear the whole thing is beyond me.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

lobsterminator posted:

I hate how everything is now attributed to AI. Like if there's a doctored photo people call out AI. And if there's a bad text post people call out AI.

It's usually clear they are just done by bad humans. I feel like it's insulting for humanity that people forgot that humans created tons of lovely content before AI.

Just because it's not real or it's bad doesn't mean it's AI.

I've been noticing something similar where people claiming AI will point to "obvious" flaws in an image that.. aren't actually flaws? Like, a hand in a photo might be posed in such a way that some fingers/thumb are obscured and you'll get people coming out of the woodwork yelling "LOL LOOK AT THE HANDS AI GARBAGE".

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Does no one do the polite double-beep thing where you guys live? Where I'm from if you want to use your horn in a more friendly way you give it two quick taps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

MightyJoe36 posted:

Virtue signaling corporations telling me that I need to work harder to save the planet while selling me a one-ounce bottle of something wrapped in five pounds of plastic.

My "green" employer telling me I need to "do my part" while making me sit in traffic for 4 hours every week to attend the same Zoom meetings that I was attending when I worked remotely.

I worked in bottle recycling at large-scale brewery for a few summers and I remember watching gallons and gallons of caustic and waste water flowing directly down the run-off drain and being pissed at Sesame Street for getting on my rear end for the wastefulness of a leaky faucet.