Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hank doesn't look like Cotton. Could he be Topsy's son? How deep does this go?

Hank does look just like his mom though. So he just inherited his mothers side more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

I used to make derpy Flash animations in the 2000s, back when you had to e-mail a guy to get your cartoon on Newgrounds. I was 16. In a convoluted teenage-drama filled adventure, I, an American kid traveled to Australia to meet my Internet girlfriend and was briefly engaged to her. Her father was going to hire me as some kind of specialty thing that would greatly help if not basically grant me citizenship in my new country. Until he brought me to his job, sat me down with a guy, gave us a task involving making an interactive activity for his business website, and thus discovered I knew gently caress-all about Flash but I guess was pretty good at hiding my ineptitude behind elaborate motion tweens. Even the guy whose job was to make poo poo in Flash for a living thought I must know what I was doing.

This was every IT/web workers origin story around the millenium. Pretend you know what you are doing and hope you don't get caught before you actually learn.

These days it's a bit harder sadly.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

:hmmyes:
I feel so fortunate to not remember any of the songs from Hamilton.

Just think of a middle-aged person rapping in an old fashioned way and you have it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Whose bright idea was it to make Win+UU an instant shutdown--no confirmation dialogues, no "hold up, I gotta shut down these programs maybe"? :mad:

If you want confirmation you need to press Win+UwU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bargearse posted:

Which brings me to my other pet peeve, Americans thinking they won the English language in the revolution and it’s theirs now.

They’re right :smith:

They also improved the language by removing a bunch of unnecessary "u" letters from words.

And one syllable from Aluminum.

Much more efficient.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I get frustrated by the drat nested tree style of commenting anyhow so I only read the top ones because following a thread is such a pain

Reddit system works only for things that are naturally vote ranked. Like if you ask for software recommendations or movies or whatever and then you get answers sorted by upvotes.

But any free form comment sections just end up with the same jokes and puns on top every time thanks to the voting.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Minor nerd pet peeve. I hate how GIF now means any short video. Why can't people just call them MP4 because that's what they all are. Imgur even disguises them with a gifv extension and people start thinking that's an actual file format.

It's really rare to see an actual animated gif anymore because the format sucks for modern needs.

And if you upload a still GIF to many services (like Discord) it is tagged with a GIF symbol as if it was a video.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Arrath posted:

Millennial brain: gently caress she has cancer and isn't telling me.

Attention boomers: Ellipsis are not to be used lightly in text-based conversation!!!

Boomer ellipses are a strange phenomena. It seems to be global and across languages.

The next generation will hate current extremely online people because they insist on typing everything in lowercase to look cool.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My hands smell like garlic and I cannot get the scent off, it's been like three days I'm freaking out

Replace the smell with something even worse. Dip your hands in an outhouse for five minutes and the garlic will be gone.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My pet peeve are online BBQ experts who only accept the one kind of meat they have learned to prepare and thus say that every other food is poo poo tier.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tunicate posted:

That 'actual phrase' was not the original, but a tumblr invention

"The blood of the covenant" is extremely tumblr sounding. Like a fandom person trying to write in an old-timey way.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

What's the deal with People who randomly Capitalise words in their sentences? Where did they Learn to Do that?

See also,,, people who use commas as elipses.

equally bad are people who type in all lowercase and use very little punctuation and don't even capitalize i when referring to themselves

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I think they know that Capitalization is a thing but think it just means Important Thing and not This Is A Proper Noun.

Or it's schizophrenia coming on? Either way.

And the most frightening possibility: They might be Germans.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

MS Teams is integrated really poorly with a Surface Pro running Windows 10.

When you're using it in tablet mode, the keyboard hides the actual message box you're typing in so you just gotta hope you're not making typos, and you can't react to people's messages properly (like a thumbs up or whatever) cos it will randomly select the wrong one so you look like a weirdo.

It's just really odd to me that Microsofts flagship app (these days) runs so poorly when using it on its flagship hardware using one of its flagship features.

It's similar with all the big companies. It's frustratingly clear that each department is totally separate and often in competition with each other that you don't get any of the synergy benefits that a huge monopoly promises.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

loving hell I hate characters named Shepherd in stories. The moment it is revealed their name is Shepherd, all I can think is, okay this guy is a Jesus analog, got it. And they usually are. But sometimes they aren't and I'm like, what the gently caress why are you named Shepherd then

I'm glad Shepard in Mass Effect was just a reference to Alan Shepard and not a Jesus analogy. It's just a coincidence that Shepard died and was resurrected by the Lazarus Project and sacrificed themself for all people in the galaxy in the end.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Showing passwords instead of ********** should be the default

It's 2022. People are so tech savvy that is should be fine to show nothing as standard, like Unix systems.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Annoyingly, I have the opposite pet peeve. People who are semi-regular posters in a thread who have been posting there for years and still feel the need to explain their basic situation every time even though yes I know, I remember you! You don't need to keep saying it!

I guess you really can't please everyone.

Having a helpful redtext makes things easier.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Because for me it happens ALOT

More like old heil-less.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

What IS the actual deal with people that get into their car, start the engine, and sit there with it idling for 1-2 hours?

It doesn't even affect me because I don't drive, but what the poo poo?

Edit: my next door neighbor starts his pickup at 5 AM, gets in and starts revving the engine at 6, and actually departs for work at 7. It's hosed.

First thing that came to mind is those boomer humor cartoons where every married couple hates each other and will do anything to avoid each other. So those two hours alone in the car are the only moment of enjoyment in their day.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

When I make a comment to someone and its met with silence. Then I assume they didn't hear me the first time, and I repeat myself, but they cut in with "yeah i heard you the first time". Oh really? Did you? Can I get an mhm or oh yeah or yep or SOME acknowledgement that you have received the information to your ears? Its like I am talking to a brick wall sometimes! Might as well be.

Especially annoying if that comment is "I love you."

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Ya know thanks to this whole conversation, today I had a go at paying attention to which cardinal direction I'm going on my way to work. :v:

Verdict: yeah, I can do it, if I pay attention. But I was also travelling on major highways/Interstates and I know which direction they run. Like "This State road runs north/south. If I turn left off it, then I'm travelling east," etc. Is that how it's supposed to work or is that "cheating"?

If I were on windy streets with no semblance of a grid structure, then forget it. I wouldn't be able to tell you cardinal directions if you paid me!

When I'm biking I tend to use the sun/shadows to keep track of my direction.

Sun is behind you? You're going north.
Sun is on your left? You're going west.
And depending on the time of day you adjust for the sun's position.

Simple, primitive, and works well unless it's an overcast day.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Arrath posted:

lmao what the gently caress

You never have buyers ride their horses to your house and drop a leather pouch full of gold coins and gems to pay for the armoire you're selling?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It really irks me when people write Brittany Spears. Like she's been a known name for almost 25 years. It's not that hard to write Britney. Even if you don't like her or her music you've surely seen the name in written form by now.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

It's interesting you use the example of fiancé, as that word in my head rhymes with how I expect Beyoncé to sound. Which then got me thinking, wait am I even pronouncing fiancé correctly? And that led me to the Cambridge dictionary which says fiancé is pronounced differently in the US and the UK, the US version being how I would pronounce it (and how I would pronounce Beyoncé if I had never heard the name) but that's actually the inverse of the US/UK pronunciation example on the website.

Anyway, this made me laugh for some reason:

You of course pronounce it like "finance" but without the first N. Because you don't want sound like some frenchman!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Weezer's existence is a pet peeve of mine.

Weezer's cover versions took all joy from the band for me.

They just try to imitate the song as closely as possible. They never add anything of their own to the version.

That's pretty uncreative for a band on their level.

Like the Metallica Blacklist album last year. There were some very interesting versions of their songs. And then Weezer just playing Enter Sandman identically to the original.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I've asked dentists and they have usually said that it doesn't really do anything significant in terms of dental health.

But yeah I feel like it leaves a fresh taste in my mouth for longer. And it's also convenient to swish some in the middle of the day if you feel like you have coffee breath.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

When I go to click a tab and hit the X, so I have to re-open the closed tab. Half a second of pure fury.

When you try to switch a tab, but instead accidentally only press a number and jump to a random spot in a 2 hour long youtube video you've been listening to in the background.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

A lot of people seemed to have forgotten that image manipulation existed before deep fake or AI.

Like if there is some photo where someones face has been replaced with another person, someone will comment "that's not real, that AI."

It's pedantic, but it just feels like people assume humanity is so helpless that nothing is possible without a filter in an app or an AI tool.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

You're gonna try and tell me that Rock the Cashbar by the Sex Pistols isn't a punk song?

You misheard the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWG6kSYqlY

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

oldpainless posted:

There’s needs to be a better way to get females to take their air pods out of their ears than the “imaginary pulls them out” air gesture we all know and use. I just feel so embarrassed/awkward using it every couple minutes on the subway.

Pro tip: You don't need to get them to remove their airpods. You can just gesture "you should smile more" and get your message across.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

As a former customer service worker, I try to give them as much leeway as humanly possible, but this pisses me off and also:

- when they tell me they'll be happy to solve my problem and they try to repeat my problem back to me to confirm but it is completely incorrect
- when they tell me they'll be happy to solve my problem and then lots of time goes by and they come back & tell me that they solved [problem I didn't have]

Actual CS workers deal with a lot of crap, but one modern online peeve of mine are "support volunteers" who hang out at company support forums and universally never have any helpful input.

Like you ask a question and you get some idiot who has a "OmniCorp enthusiast" tag on their profile and they paste some totally irrelevant copypasta while using vague corporate language.

Then some actual real person replies and gives a helpful answer.

Why would anyone LARP as CS? I get that some people enjoy helping but these people always talk in that CS manner and only answer in preset form. You are acting like a fool with zero benefit for anyone.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a zoomer and/or millenial depending on who or where you ask, I’m starting to think my real peeve is arbitrary age brackets instead of “1985 is more similar to 1991 than 1984”

What generation am I if I’m married with newborns, don’t remember landlines and first phone was smart, but do remember n64 games from blockbuster, but think nirvana is dad rock, because I think they suck, but do not have tiktok, but do use Snapchat 24/7, but am constantly on my wife’s tiktok, to perform snippets of our music that sometimes might have dancing, and also oh god my brain is exploding

*Exception boomers gently caress em all

You sound like the Greatest Generation. Thank you for saving the world from fascism and communism.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I hate the automated greeting messages on Discord (eg. "Glad you're here, UserName." or "UserName just slid into the server.") but I hate the little animated "Wave to say Hi!" characters it encourages people to post even more. Server admins can turn them off if they want to, and I wish they would but they almost never do.

This extends to general cutesy error messages.

"OOPSIE!!! You broke the interwebs lol!" when a link in your healthcare provider's site doesn't work.

Everything doesn't have to be clever and funny.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

FFT posted:

I know people that say "lmao" out loud

like "l'mow"

It's even more infuriating than "lol" as one syllable.

I think "lol" said out loud as one syllable is the perfect response to some things.

"What you said didn't actually make me laugh, but I appreciate it."

And how I've heard and used it it's always said in a very deadpan way.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Maybe if you added two more wheels to the bike and two tonnes of weight. And built an aluminum and steel frame. And raised it so high that you could no longer see children ahead of you. Then you'd be safe.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The restaurants I've been to that have online menus (which are mostly accessed by NFC rather than QR, actually) also had printed menus. You could order with your phone or go up to the bar and order there.

On my phone you have to open the QR code app or Google Lens and then "search with your camera". I had to google how to do it the first time because people say "just point the camera at it" but that doesn't actually work.

iPhones recognize a QR code if you just point at it with the default camera.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People that can’t take cardinal directions

Especially bc this is the US. The whole city is a grid lined up with impossible to avoid water features. If you know “go to the River” you know “go south on st Ferdinand” but no motherfuckers gotta be like “right or left tho”

You are 35 learn your directions :argh:

Slightly less annoying than in NYC where the literal East River couldn’t clue in some people

I cycle a lot and it's easy to lose direction when following random curved roads for a while. Thanks to this I've gotten very aware of the sun constantly. Just know the rough time of the day and look at your shadow.

And it's kinda fun to be like "ok it's 3pm and I need to south so I should keep the sun there"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

SonOfGhostDad posted:

it really annoys me when people say or list on menus "with au jus." "au jus" means "with juice!" stop it! this is the close cousin of "ATM machine," the brother of "PIN number," "SSN number," and "VIN number."

My language has a loop hole. We call it "PIN code" so it's a bit unnecessary but at least not repetitive. But it is a bit awkward to say just "PIN" it sounds nicer with the "number".

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Please refer to it as “sportsball” in a scoffing manner

Hand egg :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

People who refer to companies by their stock symbol outside of actual stock context. MSFT, NVDA, TSLA, AAPL. It doesn't make you look cool and savvy.

People who write HIPPA violation. I'm not even American and I know it's HIPAA.