Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Mikl posted:

There are two main reasons.

One: what if I know that person likes their food more salty, and I specifically make it more salty? I once did that for a guest, who added even more salt before tasting, then complained about the food being too salty.

Two: it's just bad manners. If you add salt or whatever to a dish without having tasted it, it's as if you were saying "I know from the start that this dish isn't good enough."

I'm not a master chef by any stretch, I'm not even the best cook I know. But I really can't stand this. Taste your food, and then season it if needed. It's not that hard.

You're talking to goons. They enjoy the fine flavors of Totinos Pizza Rolls. There exists no homecooking that will sate their taste for salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Tiggum posted:

I find 20°C too hot, so basically anywhere that has a heater turned on is uncomfortable for me, but it really annoyed me at the place I used to work that people would complain about it being too cold when they were wearing short-sleeved shirts, no windcheater, etc. and trying to get the heat turned up while I'm sitting there wishing the windows opened.

I will never understand these people. I have no other option but to get naked. You can bring a cardigan or a scarf. The worst group is bony post-menopausal women. Whenever I've had to work in an office with them it always sucks. I haven't had to in recent years. However, I'm in a masters program and we had one of these ladies drop in on our cohort's class because she had to miss her own cohort's meeting due to a vacation.This is a very intense program and we were warned a year in advance to clear our calendars, but she said she just had to get away to Hawaii. It wasn't for a special event or anything. Maybe she hadn't acclimated from Hawaii yet.

Anyway, the room where our class is is not well ventilated and it gets hot in there quickly. I was wearing a cardigan and a long dress, but I guess not wearing hose or something set her off. She's sitting there shivering in her thick patchwork sweater and MomJeans. "Aren't you cold?" It must have been 75 degrees (F) in there. By the end of the class my cardigan came off and I was fanning myself. She was still shivering. Sorry about your lovely circulation I guess?

But all of this happened after we had gone through a round of peer reviews in the morning, which brings me to another pet peeve: people who can't take criticism. When I give feedback, I always come from a positive perspective and ask questions rather than just line through poo poo to make my own suggestions because I'm a giant pussy and am afraid of hurting people's feelings. Yet somehow this broad started wringing her hands the moment I made a mark on her paper. Once the other reviewer and I began the discussion of her paper, she interrupted us to tell us her husband has a bachelors in publishing and he edited her work. She said that every time we pointed out a writing or grammatical error. Her methods made no freaking sense for the research questions she had, as far as I recall, so I tried to ask her for clarification. She explained further like I was stupid, and then when I suggested that she write down what she had just told me verbally as clarification she just shut down.

And of course she ripped my paper a new one when it was my turn. Which is fine. Please, rip it real good. However, some of the poo poo she marked up were things my professor really liked. I can't remember what the word was, but there was some vocabulary word that she circled with a big question mark and we got into a brief argument as to whether or not it was a real word. She did manage to find a few claims I forgot to cite that the other gal didn't find so gently caress you lady, you were still useful.

So, you know, then she proceeds to prod me about the way I dress and I'm just glad she's not one of my regular colleagues. Mind you, her cohort meets in the same room at the same time of day (we alternate weeks) so she knows how "cold" that room is.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
When I'm being a pedestrian, I hate it when a driver at a stop sign waves me across instead of just going, especially if there's no traffic and I can just wait for them to go and then cross without holding any vehicles up. I just want to walk across the street leisurely, but them being there makes me feel like I have to do the hopjog, and I hate being a hopjogger! But of course I get weird about it half the time in order to avoid taking these drivers up on their courtesy. A few times I have pantomimed chilling on the corner engrossed in my phone in order to convey that I'm not going to cross the street ever, waiting for that moment when there are no cars and then, bam! I'm crossing the street mother fuckers! Ha ha you thought I didn't want to cross the street but I totally did!

And sometimes I just cross the street when someone waves me through like a normal person.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Silver Falcon posted:

I thought of another one when I was at the store today!

When people don't hang up their phone when they're in the checkout line, or at least tell the person they're talking to "Can you hang on a sec?" when it's their turn. No, this human being behind the counter doesn't deserve the 10 seconds of common courtesy it takes to at least say "Hello," and "Thank you!" No, no, your cell phone conversation is way more important!

A significant portion of businesses around Santa Cruz have signs at the register that either forbid cellphones at all, or at least ask people to not have them at the counter. I have never seen signs like that anywhere else, so it makes me wonder what the hell happened. Like, did it become some city initiative like with the plastic bag ban? Or did local business owners get together and think it was a good idea? Or maybe there's just a lot of assholes around here.

I don't object to it, it's just really weird how many of these signs exist here.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

cash crab posted:

And along those lines, people who go out of their way to be identified as geeks. I don't mean, "people who are geeky". I mean people who say things like, "Only a geek would understand," or they're obsessed with like, prescriptive nerd culture. They all like precisely the same mass culture icons, regardless of relation to one another. Say, "the cake is a lie" and they start shrieking with laughter. People like that.

I am super peeved by geek culture like this. Hello, you're still not unique. You're just obsessively consuming media that's not sports, reality TV, music or fashion. (Although sometimes they obsess about this poo poo too!) I don't even think the poo poo they watch is necessarily that much more intellectually demanding than some stupid ice-trucking show. What really peeves me is geeky teachers who bring that poo poo into their classrooms. Way to alienate the kids who had the supposition that you and your subject was already super nerdy.

On a different topic, when people with loud bass drive by my place, I reflexively fantasize different ways of busting their eardrums. There's so much I hate about people driving around blasting their bass besides that it's loud, annoying and painful. Like, most of the time they have lovely, buzzing speakers, so it's not even good sound quality. The music is almost guaranteed to be objectively lovely, that is if you can even discern what it is. Go kill yourself if you happen to be stuck in traffic near one of these assholes. And then whatever the psychology might be that would cause one to be so compelled to share their music with the world makes me think they must be an awful person. Sometimes I just want to know why. Why does one need to do this? I mean, there's a time and a place where I'm down for loud music or bass, like when I go to a concert or go out dancing, but who the hell wants that constantly?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
It's all cozy, cloudy and rainy today so I made the banal comment at work today that I'd rather go home, sit on my comfy sofa and have a warm cup of coffee or tea while watching the rain out my window.

"Or you could just have a glass of water" responds the office Mormon, who then takes a big swig of the Dew.

I don't know where else to complain about this. I guess my pet peeve is when people hold you to some really oddball moral standards. I'd be more guarded around the guy, but he's usually pretty cool and I forget that caffeine is bad or something.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Just get your slop in a bag, take it home, then eat it off the floor like an animal already.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is my mom. She is the worst storyteller in the world because she includes every detail and goes on a tangent every other sentence.

This is my mom's friends, who she seems to hate, but I guess she needs somebody to drink wine and complain about my dad with. My mom's a good story teller, and funny, which is why I guess they keep her around.

I can't stand these broads. I'm always waiting for the punchline of the story, and then it turns out the point of the story was indeed the fact that the grocery store bagger looked like her niece, whose mother is the daughter of someone's aunt I have no loving clue but she got her a gift certificate to Buy Buy Baby and it was a boy and his name is Rylan.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Speaking of Facebook, people who have non-their face profile photos. I can see their name, I know who they are. It still bothers me and I have no right to be bothered. A true pet peeve.
I have been on Facebook long enough to watch some of my friend's babies grow up and it's interesting how around 6-8 years old moms stop using their kid's photo as their profile. It's like jeeze ladies, get an identity outside of your kids because it's creeping me out when it looks like your toddler is posting memes about wine.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
There is a light near where I worked that did not account for the sudden dump of traffic from 3 to 4:30 as kids got out of school. How hard would it be to program that poo poo for just that small window of time on weekdays? Anyway, if I didn't hit it right, I'd get out of my congested left turn lane, go straight, do a U-turn in the nearby neighborhood, and then turn right, all the while watching the poor saps still waiting in the left turn lane that doesn't signal every cycle.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Children playing on the exercise stuff at the park. There is a huge playground with really wonderful swings, slides and lots of other things go stay over there. Why the gently caress do you want to swing around on the dip bars? Or stand on the leg lift pedestals and stare at me? The adult poo poo is boring go away.

I've had kids run over to me while doing pull-ups, wait impatiently, get underfoot as I'm dismounting, then bowl me out of the way so they can just swing around on it, then get bored and then look at me like I'm a weirdo for "playing" on it.

Oh well, can't beat that it's free and I get fresh air.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
gently caress certain kinds of gendered bathrooms in general. At work, it's like, I think we can all deal with using the same toilet. Don't get fussy when I come out of the one-holer arbitrarily marked as male. There's not even a urinal in there.

At bars and pubs, I really feel like it should be a free for all. I don't care if it means people potentially are boning in stalls. Nothing worse than waiting for drunk ladies to fuss around in there, although I appreciate the efficiency of 2-3 girl friends going in the stall together. Most guys are just having a piss, so make a smaller urinal only room and open up the stalls for all.

I was once dragged to a concert in a big arena and during intermission they had a uniformed old broad stationed in there to yell at us and knock on doors if we took to long. I loved it. When I retire that's what I want to do because seriously, what are most of you doing in there? Shits and pads and tampons, unless something is going haywire, shouldn't add that much to your time. I pooped once and changed my deal record time three minutes.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

darkhand posted:

Bigass trucks that have to pass you right now or ride your rear end on a 2 way road, then 20 seconds later turn off a side street.

You know that BMW/Mercedes meme where the drivers are all the worst? Well it's like that here, but replace tiny coupe with bigass dually bro trucks that will loving destroy an entire lane of traffic in a crash, and they all drive like assholes.

Bro truck drivers are the worst. I just hope the constant dump of testosterone and adrenaline they expose themselves to while driving gives them nut-cancer or infertility or something. I don't how how this poo poo works, I just hope something bad happens to them because it seems like they cause more accidents than they actually get into.

Pet peeve right now: the pause between songs on Pandora. It allows me to hear the noise going on next door and I wish their pregaming was done so that they would just go out already. I also hope some chick takes them home and they never ever come back.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I wonder how significant the amounts of little plastic baggies of poop make up our lanfills. Does every turd really need to be ensconced in plastic? I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, and back then we carried a grocery bag for accidents, but basically we didn't let the dog crap on neighbors property, and if we saw the poop dance at the park we'd just guide her over to some bushes out of the way of foot traffic. But mostly, we just made sure she poo poo in our yard before we went out for a walk. I suppose that's not really tenable today though is it?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

walrusman posted:

I got a $9 fine from my garbage company last month because some chucklefuck on my street put a large hefty-bag of garbage in my can and the lid wouldn't close. They did it to each of my neighbors too.

Joke was on them, though - my friend at the garbage company looked up recent service interruptions in the neighborhood, found the guy who did it, slapped HIM with a fine, and gave me a bill credit. Some people have powerful friends, amigo.

This is such a sweet victory.

I share one regular trash can with two units in my three unit place. Each of us have a separate big recycle bin. I hide mine because they are retarded and fill every bin, including mine, with un-flattened boxes and non-recyclables. The landlord also fills all of our recycle bins with weird computer parts that he has half dismantled. So I keep my garbage can locked up in my side area. That doesn't mean I'm safe. One day I came home on recycle day to find someone had dumped an entire Safeway strawberry sheet cake in my recycle bin while it was in the street. Also some half eaten spinach dip and an empty bag of pita chips. According to my landlord the video evidence showed an SUV pulling up to my can to dump the cake in there but it couldn't identify anyone. Yeah, I was that pissed that I called my property manager over it. I'm a mostly normal person, but there are somethings that I get unhinged about.

Trash stuff drives me nuts. It's like, the easiest household thing to do but no one can figure it out. I used to take the weird stuff out of my bin, stand in front of the security camera with the regular trash bin and put it in there while gesticulating madly, hoping that my weirdo property manager would get the point to stop putting things, like venetian blinds, in the recycle. Recently, the rental near my parents lost its tenants again, and in a matter of three months those dudes managed to fill the back yard and garage with black plastic bags of trash. The property manager went through some of it and found perfectly fine, but dirty, ceramic plates. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Anyway, I'm glad poop bags are compostable. I guess I just don't get the appeal of dog ownership in the city.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Digirat posted:

When you can't easily go back in your browser, because the previous page is some dumb intermediate page that just instantly redirects you back to your current page.

Also things that don't let you open a link in a new tab. I used a grading program like this. Would be looking at a kid's grade, needed to open a new tab to type a message to parents while looking at the kids grade but nope. The navigation interface just assumes you're going to look at just one page at a time.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

cash crab posted:

When you're having an amazing dream and then your alarm goes off. :mad: I WAS WATCHING THAT

Agreed. But I also frequently experience the version where I'm doing something really important and will try to finish before I completely wake up. Earlier this week I was trying to put together a decent outfit but I could only shop at Sears. I finally found some jeans and flats that fit okay. Alarm went off, had to grab a shirt really quick and just hope it would fit. Was kind of relieved half way through brushing my teeth when I realized I had access to my closet and didn't have to wear the Sears-dream outfit.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Famous people in a restaurant or cafe that you are in. It's like, you might as well go gently caress yourself now that they are here. At least when it happened to me in Japan the shop owner later gave me some free tomatoes, which was kind of a weird consolation prize.

I don't even know who these sports guys are that I ran into recently and I really wanted to tell them that. Professional athletes seem pretty stupid with garbage-tier attitudes whenever I meet one so I have no idea why people worship them so much.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

artsy fartsy posted:

Haha, at my mom's old job she was in charge of the employee appreciation day (or whatever it was called) that included entertainment and food and whatever—all free for the employees. Not a single one went by that didn't include a hefty amount of whining and bitching, and it was usually about the pizza.

How can you even care that much about pizza.

That depends, was it from Alfredo's Pizza or Pizza by Alfredo?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
It's a joke, gawd. Women don't poop or pee at all. Except when camping. We just bitch about toilet seats because we like jerking men around.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
The only thing I like about April fools is that when I do something stupid, I just follow it up with saying, "April Fools!"

Surely, I fooled everyone.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Crow Jane posted:

My phone likes to let me know that listening to music at high volume might damage my ears. Sorry, Momorola :rolleyes:

My tablet does this because it thinks the speaker I have plugged in is a headphone. So the speaker is no louder than the built in speaker of the tablet. So much for watching Netflix in the shower.

Another peeve is that the ads on Pandora are so much louder than the music. No biggie at home with the speakers, much awful if I have headphones in.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Screaming Idiot posted:

Not everybody likes Hulu, friendo.

This, and I'm bored in there. I do a good, thorough job of cleaning, something unfamiliar to many goons, so I understand the shock, but it takes a while and I get bored.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
When goons overreact to one or two or five odd things you do and then claim this makes you a broken person or they describe some other person who would also have those same traits and the overal picture painted is pretty abysmal. It's like, oh you do one weird thing do you? Well I bet you're weird in a bunch of other ways too! Ha!

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

YeahTubaMike posted:

soccer cleats in my uterus

Ooh, that's a good one.

I used to say "wood planer" or "melon-baller" but no one knows what the hell I'm talking about.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Just pour it on the floor and eat it like an animal. Christ.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Tendai posted:

Teachers who don't like kids. If you don't like kids, gently caress off out of the business. There's a big difference between occasionally venting to friends about what a little poo poo so and so is, and calling someone who's proctoring tests for your students and ranting for ten minutes about how one of them is a bastard and the rest of them are garbage.

Actually I may just be downright pissed about this and less of a pet peeve but the point remains that if you don't like students why the gently caress are you teaching.

When I have gotten to know these people, half the time they love kids, but the problem is that they have this vision of a kid who will sit in rapt awe of them and their idea of what a good lesson or lecture is. Of course this is not the reality of teaching and so these folks get bitter. It's not me, it's the kids and their good for nothing parents.

Still awful, and should still get the gently caress out in my opinion.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Indolent Bastard posted:

Because the kids crush your ability to care. You start out caring, but after a decade they smother that spark, and you just wish they'd all go away.

When one starts feeling this way, it's time to get out. You can't just teach the kids who care, you have to teach all kids, even the poo poo heads, as long as they are on your roster. Meanwhile, of course you have to fight for all of the supports you can so that you can actually do your job successfully. Thank you, CTA.

Whenever I encounter a student teacher who just loved school when they were a kid, I always brace myself for the inevitable falling out. Certainly loving and being enthusiastic about your subject helps, but unless you are willing to implement strategies that support all kinds of students, you're going to frustrate yourself. Teachers like this I often see going into AP because at least they are guaranteed a certain amount of students who want to be there. And that's fine. If you want to teach, there's always a place for you in some capacity. It's just if you had any romanticized notions about having deep conversations about your subject with 40 + high school freshmen, with a special Ed cluster, one kid on an abeyance contract, kids with truancy issues and a cluster of repeaters, well, I feel sorry for you.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Tendai posted:

Bullshit. My mom's been teaching high school for 40+ years, and she still enjoys what she does. As do most of the family friends who are her age and also teachers.

This made me happy.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Henchman of Santa posted:

People referring to their pets as their children. I've seen so many posts by young, childless people today including themselves in Mother's Day celebrations because of their dog or cat.

Doesn't help that my mom refers to my sister's dog as her granddog.

My cousin posts frequently on facebook with #furbabies. I used to just take it with a grain of salt. She's clearly not aware how stupid and annoying that is and probably just thinks it's cute. The last time we visited though, she vented about how one of her friends called her out on it, and said having pets was nothing like being an actual mother. My cousin went on this long rant to me about how important it is to be a dog-mother, and that it's just as significant as having children. Then she went on about how she refuses to have kids because she's too old and it's amoral to have kids at that age.

We are the same age, thirties.

Should I get knocked up anytime soon, I will kindly forget what she had said to me, and she had better do the same.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

RabbitWizard posted:

This bothered me on some level and while thinking i remembered that babyfurs exist. Easy to confuse the two.
Oh, and don't GIS it. :barf:

I read the AUG thread, so I've already been exposed!

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Sociopastry posted:

On topic: loving games like bejeweled or sailor moon drops or candy crush that bullshit you into loving losing so they can steal your money. I will never spend a single dime on you eat a dick.

I agree, but then this made me reflect on my own history with app games. Years ago, I played all kinds of games like that, but always resisted the temptation to pay for anything. Once it got obvious I couldn't really get anywhere without dropping some cash, I'd quit. After awhile, it finally dawned on me these games are all the loving same. Grind mindlessly to get some lame reward and hopelessly fall prey to the dumb lizard part of your brain. So I just don't play at all anymore. If there hadn't been the pay-hurdle, I may not have realized this, so maybe I'm a little thankful for that bullshit which helped me kick the habit of constantly filling up my downtime with reward stimulus.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Davros1 posted:

Funny, I'm annoyed by the exact opposite, where if you due physical labor then it means you're just too stupid to do real work, like in an office.

I'm annoyed by both perspectives. I'm the academic, my boyfriend is a union laborer. He often wants to punch the conservative tough-guys he works with when they go on about ivory tower liberals and lazy college students with their student loans. I want to punch the people I work with when they go on about how we need to send our bottom tier students to the trades. Knowing what my bf went through during his apprenticeship, there's no way an F student is going to get through that if they weren't adequately supported years earlier in their public education.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

MisterBibs posted:

Having to log in (especially if it's not even an actual log in, just a splash screen with a log in button) for a place's WiFi. Connect, wait for my device to open a browser window (if it does that automatically, sometimes I have to do this manually), press button to say OK, wait for that to actually really connect me...

Just let me connect instantly!

Yeah Starbucks, I stopped into your store to get a coffee and browse your stupid website. And I love participating in your polls like, "What's more intense, Pilates or the elliptical?" Really?

I'm just here to do work while not at work. Please just let me get to the internet as soon as possible, thanks.

(At least they don't make you pay anymore, remember when they had some stupid wifi deal with AT&T?)

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've been looking for some jewelry on Etsy for the past few days, and it kills me that so many people selling antiques don't bother to spend a few minutes of research before posting their wares. Then they do poo poo like this:

Byzantine AND Victorian AND Art Nouveau AND Art Deco, you don't say??? No, they're earrings made in the 1950s, and the seller has just thrown up a bunch of random artistic periods to get their item included in a bunch of very disparate search results. If I'm looking for, say, genuine Victorian or Victorian-repro earrings, nothing good is going to come of these particular earrings turning up in my results list. I'm going to briefly think those are ugly and you're ignorant, and then move on. (By the way, $420 for those earrings? :allears:)

Art Nouveau and Art Deco are two terms in particular people seem to have no idea what the gently caress they're doing with. You see this all the time:

Look. Words mean things! Get this: Art Nouveau means something, and Art Deco means something else. It's true! Georgian, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian...these all mean things, too! loving spend 30 seconds on wikipedia and learn your history before using them to sell your poo poo! These words should not be slapped onto any old (or new!) thing like this, because now you have revealed you don't know the first thing about what you're selling, or art/antiques/history in general. If you don't know what you're selling, how can I trust that I'm getting what I think I'm getting, and your asking price is legit?

Also, learn to spell medieval.

And this is Etsy's fault -- "vintage" on Etsy means from the 1990s or earlier. 1990s should not be considered vintage, WTF. :corsair:

From awhile ago, but I feel you, though from a crafter's perspective. When I was doing crafts I never bothered with Etsy because it's so easy for your stuff to get buried in the bullshit of stuff that isn't a craft, isn't handmade, or really is just junk that is better suited for Craigslist. Then there's the issue you're bringin up about miscategorization. gently caress it.

Although I appreciate that now they seem to separate vintage from crafts from supplies now at least. I just wish there was a little bit better promotion of the real good stuff by actual human beings carefully vetting through the stuff that gets posted.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

AlphaKretin posted:

So as I've failed to shut up about lately I'm on holiday in Japan, and places keep recognising me as a tourist and giving me English menus or trying to speak English, and it's like well OK whatever I'm with someone who speaks Japanese but I appreciate that you're trying to help, but today I bought a bento and I was given a spork instead of chopsticks. :argh:

I lived in the middle of nowhere in Japan and when I took a local flight, the stewardess seemed so stoked to read the weather conditions and flight time in English. She kept looking at me, the only foreigner on the flight, with the biggest smile ever. When she was done I gave her a thumbs up and she looked so goddamned pleased with herself. It was actually pretty adorable. For a lot of these folks, they had to study English as kids, yet probably won't get to use it much, so I guess that was kind of a fun thing for her to do. There were certainly times I felt patronized over there too, but half the time I think people were putting on a show of how considerate they could be for my weird foreigner needs.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
^ ETA: or the opposite of that sort of. Ages ago I commented on that dumb tow truck story where the tow guy refused service to a person with a Bernie sticker. Month or so later I'm having people replying to my comment, but clearly intending to just comment on the story itself. So now I get notified with "free market" and am confused until I remember that one time I touched the poop on a Fox News story. How the hell do these people manage to find my comment amongst hundreds of comments, click on it, and the construct a response that has nothing to do with my comment.
---
When people make jokes to my bf like, "Hey, is that your daughter or your girlfriend? Haw haw haw."

Yeah, he's older than me but he looks young and I'm not that young anyway. It's so loving creepy. Creepy creepy creepy. Can't people just say "Hey, you look nice today!" or "You two seem happy, did you do something fun today?" Why is everyone sarcastic these days? It's like we were ruined by 90s sitcoms.

Bast Relief has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Jun 13, 2016

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Any teachers?

I'm some kind of weirdo who loves professional development but...

gently caress preservice.

Seriously, just send me an email and let me get to making copies and prepping in my room instead of clapping at someone's inspirational speech or doing ice breakers with people I've known for a decade/new people where all I learn about them is that they play the trombone.

Oh, and during what was supposed to be a silly ice breaker this year, where we had to run around and pantomime things before responding to a prompt, one teacher told me his toddler is now free of some super rare cancer, which was kind of heavy and not really what the prompt was asking for. But whatever, it was clearly heavy on his mind and it just came out.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
After several loud as gently caress parties when they first moved in, and then after that putting their very nice speakers against our common wall to play the shittiest of club music, I became the incessantly complaining neighbor and I hate it. Until recently, any peep over there sends me into paranoia that it's going to get worse at any moment. I've chilled out now that one of the douchebags has a regular early morning job so they are much quieter now. I don't even know why they are here. It's a hip part of town, but this specific area skews older than the party houses across the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
There were some times where I might have tried that. Luckily my property managers didn't gently caress around and got on those fuckers case pretty heavy, and luckily there was very little if any retaliation.

Now if there were only a way to shock them everytime they said "bro!!!" loudly in the kitchen. Jesus.