Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

What do you mean Zurgo is less badass as a Bellstriker? Just imagine this card:

Zurgo Bellstriker - 3R
Legendary Creature - Ogre Warrior
Dash 2R
T: Tap target creature and put a Bell Strike counter on it. It doesn't untap during it's controller's upkeep as long as it has a Bell Strike counter on it and gains "6: Untap this creature."
3/3

I would play the poo poo out of this card.

Psssst. Zurgo is an Orc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

ungulateman posted:

I really hope there's an "Exile target Dragon" removal spell at uncommon or that G/W dude is going to be almost literally impossible to beat in limited.

I also hope there's an "Exile target Dragon" removal spell in white so that Stormbreath Dragon remains the most playable Dragon in Standard from now until rotation. :smaug:

He's already going to because he dodges all the far more playable cards in white that do exactly that but not limited to Dragons.

edit; whoops, thats what happens when I don't refresh.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Its incredible adorable right now reading Reddit comments saying you don't want multiples of the new Zurgo in your deck.

At least you guys assessed 3 as a fair number.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

forbidden lesbian posted:

like you don't want multiples at all? are they saying you should only run one?

Besides the "Guys, Isamaru was a 4x in Zoo" comments, the highest I've seen was 2x. And yeah, the logic is you can't play more than one.

What is statistical probability of drawing it every opening hand.

What is removal.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

All I'm saying is that Sligh is a junky gimmick deck for dirty poors who want to pick off a few unsuspecting schmoes in MODO 2-man queues don't shoot the messenger okay?

Someone's salty.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Gimmick deck player spotted.

I play the more Midrangey RW. Nice try.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
... between Foundry Denizen, Scout, Heelcutter, Rabble and the two token generators, could we see a Obelisk of Urd Goblin deck?

gently caress it, I'll jam Zurgo in there and run it at FNM or something, just for shits and giggles.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

I just sort of assumed the "dirty poors" part gave that away.

I mean, well, I guess I don't know. Some of you Sligh-players might actually be unwashed commoners well beneath my station.

Its funny because I could tell you were at least mostly joking.

Zoness posted:

but orcs arent goblins :(

I know, but its not that bad of a flavour hit (Goblins and Orcs working together) and I just need a solid one drop 2/2 besides just Denizen.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

im going to do it and splash for jeskai ascendancy and attack for 20 on turn 4

Imma just splash Green for Atarka's Command, Destructive Revelry in the board, and possibly a second orc in good old Shaman of the Great Hunt's activation. :orks101:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

forbidden lesbian posted:

I really wish they would stop trying to make warriors a thing

someone doesn't dig it.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
at least she doesn't die to bathe in dragon fire.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Well, the disappointment at not getting ascended OG Narset in Jeskai has been somewhat sated with RUG Sarkhan. I actually felt like that'd be possible but wasn't expecting it as much after Narset was just UW.

Also, Kibler's excitement is adorable. :3:

I'm pretty hyped to join the Temur Train.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Allstone posted:

I really want to see them explore more of the positive aspects of black in cards and characters. It's been nice to see some more white-aligned villains recently though. I just feel like it's interesting space.

I really want to see a straight up Red/Black faction as the main protagonists for a block or something, the Mardu/Kolaghan are really sympathetic in ways, but I'd love to see a rebel faction that really plays up the self-determination and individuality of black, fighting against an oppressive regime or something.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

jassi007 posted:

He asked to borrow it, my friend is 35 the borrower is mid 20's? I think at this point my friend is a little too offended, like he can't quite let it go. He also just doesn't want to flat out say you can't borrow my poo poo anymore. It was awkward because I went to the shop friday the dude was asking me about borrowing the deck again from my friend, I didn't want to really get involved so i said I don't know. Then the girl I lent my tron deck to on Saturday bought me a couple foils (expedition map and chromatic star) which was really beyond nice, once my friend found out about that he was on facebook all "thats how you thank someone" so I expect it to be a thing soon.

I certainly don't expect people to pimp out decks etc. just for lending it out, but like you guys said and I agree at least a thank you is cool.

Your friend is being passive aggressive, which is dumb. at this point if the guy asks for the deck again, he's perfectly within his rights to just say no, and also not a dick for saying "no, because you were rather ungrateful the last time, honestly a thank you would have been good enough" but if causes drama or starts getting salty he didn't get a foil then he's turning into a dick in this situation too.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

its still hilarious that Kolaghan kicking white out of Mardu really mellowed them out. I guess they had the fascist part of white

I wouldn't consider them more mellow, per se, its just in the previous timeline they seemed dicks because they were doing what Steppe Nomads do and raid other folks for resources. Mardu were pretty cool as they were; they had a similar family vibe going off like Abzan did, but more emotionally bonded than by rigid tradition.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Oh god black is libertarians.

Each colour is a lot of things, but yeah Libertarians seem rather Black.

Also, Ive argued before that Maro is wrong to use Fascism as an example for what Mono-White does evil, and that BW is the primary two colours of fascism. Though, yeah :can:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Wezlar posted:

How reasonable is the dude who wanted to borrow it? Would it be possible to maybe just take him aside and be like "Hey guywholentyoudeck was sort of offended you didn't really thank him after he won, he would probably really appreciate it if you said something to him next time you see him." without the dude blowing it up into a thing?

This is likely a good solution to the situation; at worst if the guy is unreasonable he just gets mad at your friend for being mad and you get the drama over with sooner rather than letting it stew. You know, like ripping a bandaid off when you're a kid.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Authoritarian conformity is extremely white and not really black.

Which is true, though Authoritarianism isn't exclusively limited to Fascism. The thing about Fascism is it adheres to things like Social Darwinism or Cultural Supremacy on both an individual and national level, the weak follow the strong and strong nations have a right to prey upon weak nations and so forth. Its pretty black to a degree, and I think Maro's use of it as example of evil white is slightly off, and a better example would just be a rigid Theocracy or such. Ultimately I'm being really nitpicky as gently caress and I recognize that though.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

Spoil Surrak already gently caress. :argh:

I'm at a super IQ right now, I don't think anybody was ready for my deck seeing as the majority of the field is looking like UB/Sultai control and RW Aggro/mono red burn.

I'm gonna get blown out by the random Jeskai deck.

But 4 Stubborn Denial in the main board is really, really good, wow.

You;'re still on Temur midrange right? How are all the main matchups for that deck?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I run 4x Seeker and 2x Grandmaster in RW.

Seeker is more of a reliable early beater, but Grandmaster can be huge in race circumstances and such.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Fus Roh Dah the card.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm kind of looking at it from the idea of it walking past one blocker like a Caryatid, or potentially trading with two goblin tokens from an opposing Hordeling Outburst by turn three/four. The 4-mana 3/2 that sometimes draws a card is just kind of there if you get stuck in a later game. Otherwise, yeah, 2/1 for 2 ain't exactly the best aggressive card these days, but I don't remember any pikers that have the Goblin War Drums evasion ability so I'm thinking about weird edge cases. At the very least, it's better than Jeering Instigator.

War-Name Aspirant is a 3/2 for two that walks past Caryatid and Goblin Tokens all day e'rry day.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

War-name's evasion is pretty narrow and often becomes irrelevant quickly, wheras Ire Shaman can stay evasive as long as you can keep your opponent on one creature. That's not too unreasonable with how good red's removal suite looks after DTK.

I'd rather just roast and stoke the things I can and continue walking past Carytids, but I see your point. However, stats and mana wise, I see Aspirant as way more efficient.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I really don't know why they couldn't have done two colour morph dragons at common for each Brood.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Madmarker posted:

Hell, flavor can be used to justify anything. Well, since blue has the flavor of reality warping, why doesn't blue have land ramp to show it warping the terrain.

Blue has terraforming effects because that fits Blue's flavour of shifting reality, not ramping, which represents the growth of nature.

Also, RE New Surrak;

Your opponent cracks a Perilous vault. You flash in EoT Boon Satyr. You then cast Surrak on your M1. That said I find him uninspired and boring, like most of Formidable.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 12, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Dohaeris posted:

What would you guys recommend for a newer player as a deck that is relatively inexpensive but still competitive at a typical FNM in the current standard? Or at least will potentially still be competitive after Dragons of Tarkir. I like my Sultai deck but as someone else told me in this thread, it does seem like it requires a ton of decision making that I'm still really bad at as a new player.

Mono-red is your usual go to for cheap decks. You can start off with a cheap sligh budget build and then add in stuff like Rabblemaster and Outpost Siege or Stormbreaths or what have you later.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

compton rear end terry posted:

I've been out of magic for a long time. Looking at recent winning standard decks. Since when can you build competituve standard decks for ~$200? The top 8 of GP Miami are all under $250.

The top 8 of a single GP are not the end all be all of competitive decks, dude.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I don't want to call a dude out for not understanding wizard poker very well, but do you mean the dude in this thread who didn't understand why you would pay life for something and didn't think the shocks and bob are very good?

It was a thing on Reddit.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

whydirt posted:

The posts in this thread are last-pick trash.

I should have been paying attention to signals better, now I'm stuck with a ton of mcmagic quotes and Toshimo insults. at least this first picked RME's forced meme is good in my EDH deck.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's more the lovely rationalization of the lack of the legend and the obvious spots where it could've gone, here on the eve of the third time this has happened in the last four years, when he has specifically acknowledged the last two times were wrong.

Taigam doesn't fit into the cycle and you know it. We're also never given every character mentioned in lore and flavour text, and you know it. Just give up already.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 13, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

JerryLee posted:

I always sort of assumed that lore-wise walkers were similar to players* in the sense that they had access to all five colors of mana but just chose what appealed to them or best fit their style. Like, if Sorin found his philosophy shifting and decided he wanted to start forming mana bonds with mountains and burning the poo poo out of everything, there wouldn't really be anything stopping him.

*Meaning, of course, the sort of stereotypical casual Vorthos who thinks of himself as "a blue mage" or whatever, rather than the practical reality of a lot of tournament players where you end up playing what you think is best for the Grand Prix or whatever.

Its been established that not only can ones colour alignment change, but it doesn't limit you to solely using that colour of mana; Jace can apparently use White and Black mana despite being shown as mono-blue in all his iterations so far, and the Blue Preator, Vorinclex can do similar.

What resources you're willing to use or are aware of using are probably further defined by your personal philosophy/knowledge and how you justify it within that framework, as well as what magic you'll use may also be affected by how well you can understand it, because it aligns with your philosophy. So a Vorthosy Green Mage might stick with green and not use blue because they don't like playing the game in the cunning deceptive manipulative manner that blue requires them.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah I meant Jin-Gitaxis.

Also, if MTGSalvation's wiki is where I remember reading that than I'm eternally sorry.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Isn't French for Blood, Sang? Why are these French translations so... medical?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

"Hémato-" is the prefix for blood, my guess is that it takes less space than "sanguin" or "de sang".Prefixes tend to avoid having too many nouns "baron de sang de vizkopia" doesn't sound so great.

Also it sounds kind of cool :shrug:

Yeah I was just confused. I suck at French.

Also "baron de sang de vizkopa" sounds like some length fancy title. thats kinda cool

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
What CMC 3 Morphs in RUG are worth playing?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

mcmagic posted:

If you're playing a control deck in this next standard and you don't have 4x Narset you're doing it wrong.

oh boy

Sirbloody posted:

I can't decide which Dragonlord to pick on pre-release..... According to my LGS only 10 people signed up (Pretty small town, most people travel to Savannah for the bigger events). I really like U/W but I am not a huge fan of control, the only other color I am interested in is W/G...

You dont have to play UW as 'control'.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

vegetables posted:

Being in the Dromoka sounds okay if you don't like your ancestors, and I can't stand mine so I'd be golden.

All the same, it's depressing how all my favourite settings - Dominaria, Mirrodin and now Tarkir - keep getting turned into less interesting hellhole versions of themselves. It's like Creative needs to know a setting will be irretrievably destroyed before they're able to make it interesting.

Mirrodin is clearly better now that its been compleated into New Phyrexia. Glory to the Father of Machines.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

I suppose what I"m getting at is, why would you live in those territories? Just move to the islands or the deserts where the dragon clans have fun kickin-rad parties and don't attempt to eat you all the goddamn time. Specifically looking at the Atarka since the guide seems to imply it sucks living there since Atarka might get bored and eat you and most people live in fear of that.

Guys, moving vast distances through hostile terrain is easier said than done. Seriously.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
If there's anything that'll will show Sarkhan to be a more sympathetic to most people it may be realizing that Dragons ruling everyone isn't the best thing exactly, but as it stands he's not a bad. He has a pretty straightforward aspect to his character; he worships loving Dragons. They're pretty worth worshipping, seeing as they are generally badass. He's gone a little insane due to the whole "mind hosed by Bolas" poo poo, which is totally understandable.

Now that he's cured of that, he's brought back the dragons but may not have quite caught the implications of everyone being Dragon slaves yet. At the same time I'm fine with him sticking to his guns, rather than falling for mandatory golden mean'ery, if that might across too forced.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
BW Tokens Elspeth would just be basically BW Sorin 3.0 Which is my problem with making her BW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Sure, but every Elspeth we've had is just token-creating Elspeth. Its kind of part of her character.

She's a mono-W character stuck in the mono-black underworld. Every "returned" character they had in Theros block was black (except Murder King, who was B/R), so it just logically follows that's how she'd end up. Mono-Black Zombie creating Elspeth might be amusing though.

My point was that that's sort of Sorin's shtck now, just as Mono-white tokens is Elspeth's. They kinda push onto each other's design space if they print her BW, or at least risk doing so. Which is what I'm worried.

I just hope they find new ground to tread with each if they do this, or manage to set her apart from Sorin well enough.

• Locked thread