Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I just took the leftover Peruvian fish stew from last night and put it on a poached egg. Breakfast cod. Pretty good but I'm sure it would make some people gag.

twoday has a new favorite as of 10:55 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Certainly does for me, since it looks like you broke the yoke!

I did that with the knife right before I took the photo, to make it look nice. See the blade on the right.

twoday
May 4, 2005

That's not even its final form:

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday
May 4, 2005

Imgur claims this one's from the Facebook page of Todd himself:

"Canned oysters deep fried, with hot sauce" (2015)

twoday has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Oct 12, 2015

twoday
May 4, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

I see onions, maybe cucumbers, more onions and beetroot. You're too demanding...

But fine, have some of that cale everyone seemed to be getting wet over a while ago. That's a staple of German food.

With the proper stuffing, of course.

That looks like Savoy Cabbage to me.

twoday
May 4, 2005

EorayMel posted:

You need to wash those salads down with some unsettling pea soup

Fresh pea soup is good. WIth ham. Yummy.

Unacceptable forms of pea soup:

twoday
May 4, 2005

oh yeah? how about now?

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazP6zvJmiQ

The former. When my friends have been dicks to me I go over to their house and do this when they are using the toilet or outside smoking.

twoday
May 4, 2005

this is nice meat
for a clown to purchase
at a deli

twoday
May 4, 2005

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=how+many+calories+in+a+cubic+lightyear+of+butter

twoday
May 4, 2005

Grape Soda posted:

:eng101: There are many kinds of ketchup besides tomato ketchup! http://www.saveur.com/article/kitchen/beyond-tomatoes-four-great-fruit-ketchups

Mushroom ketchup, however, still looks gross as hell:

It's hella umami. Like worchestershire sauce or something.

twoday
May 4, 2005

"Great Wall of China chicken burger" (2015)

twoday
May 4, 2005

http://imgur.com/gallery/Tqvkv

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday
May 4, 2005

cash crab posted:

^^^: behold, a rule

??????????

It's cheese that has been microwaved to a crisp (aka "ghetto goldfish")

twoday
May 4, 2005

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm not sure how many salads you've eaten have rice in them, but otherwise yeah

orzo salads are pasta salads pretending to be rice salads:

twoday
May 4, 2005

4 comments

twoday
May 4, 2005

I would just like to point out that people sperg up all kinds of rules about pasta dishes like they have existed for centuries and to deviate is blasphemy, but in reality most pasta dishes you know today are only a few decades old.

quote:

Pasta alla Carbonara was included in Elizabeth David's Italian Food, an English-language cookbook published in Great Britain in 1954. However, the dish is not present in Ada Boni's 1930 classic La Cucina Romana and is unrecorded before the Second World War. In 1950 it was described in the Italian newspaper "La Stampa" as a dish sought by the American officers after the allied liberation of Rome in 1944. It was first described after the war as a Roman dish, when many Italians were eating eggs and bacon supplied by troops from the United States.

Food invented by hungry people during wartime shouldn't have rules. I'm sure the people with access to cream added cream. I'm sure there were people who didn't have the bacon or the pepper. Whatever, who gives a poo poo.

Someone corrected me about the way I make pasta puttanesca once because I wasn't using the correct color of olives. Wtf

quote:

In a 2005 article from Il Golfo—a daily newspaper serving the Italian islands of Ischia and Procida—Annarita Cuomo asserted that sugo alla puttanesca was invented in the 1950s by Sandro Petti, co-owner of Rancio Fellone, a famous Ischian restaurant and nightspot. According to Cuomo, Petti's moment of inspiration came when—near closing one evening—Petti found a group of customers sitting at one of his tables. He was low on ingredients and so told them he didn't have enough to make them a meal. They complained that it was late and they were hungry. "Facci una puttanata qualsiasi," or "Make any kind of garbage," they insisted. As Petti had nothing more than four tomatoes, two olives and some capers—the basic ingredients for the sugo, “So I used them to make the sauce for the spaghetti,” Petti told Cuomo. Later, Petti included this dish on his menu as spaghetti alla puttanesca.

The dish is literally garbage made of leftover scraps, how can someone possibly enshrine rules around it?

Food rules are food idolatry, just let people cook whatever sort of poo poo the want and let them call it what they want. Judge them on the fact that their cooking is hideous and tastes awful, not on the fact that it doesn't meet the imagined and arbitrary technical criteria to have a certain title.

twoday has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Nov 13, 2015

twoday
May 4, 2005

This thread needs some more history about people eating garbage:

quote:

Charles Domery (c. 1778 – after 1800), later also known as Charles Domerz, was a Polish soldier serving in the Prussian and French armies, noted for his unusually large appetite. Serving in the Prussian Army against France during the War of the First Coalition, he found that the rations of the Prussians were insufficient and deserted to the French Army in return for food. Although generally healthy, he was voraciously hungry during his time in the French service, and ate any available food. While stationed near Paris, he was recorded as having eaten 174 cats in a year, and although he disliked vegetables, he would eat 4 to 5 pounds (1.8 to 2.3 kg) of grass each day if he could not find other food. During service on the French ship Hoche, he attempted to eat the severed leg of a crew member hit by cannon fire, before other members of the crew wrestled it from him and threw it into the sea.

In February 1799, the Hoche was captured by British forces and the crew, including Domery, were interned in Liverpool. Domery shocked his captors with his voracious appetite, and despite being put on ten times the rations of other inmates remained ravenous, eating the prison cat, at least 20 rats which had come into his cell, and regularly eating the prison candles. Domery's case was brought to the attention of The Commissioners for taking Care of Sick and Wounded Seamen and for the Care and Treatment of Prisoners of War, who performed an experiment to test his eating capacity. Over the course of a day, Domery was fed a total of 16 pounds (7.3 kg) of raw cow's udder, raw beef and tallow candles and four bottles of porter, all of which he ate and drank without defecating, urinating, or vomiting at any point.

"In one year [Domery] devoured 174 cats (not their skins) dead or alive; and says, he had several severe conflicts of interest in the act of destroying them, by feeling the effects of their torments on his face and hands: sometimes he killed them before eating, but when very hungry, did not wait to perform this humane office."
- Testimony of M. Picard, who served with Domery throughout his service in the French Army and was interned with him in Liverpool

Amazingly enough there was not just one guy like this, but two! At the same time! In nearly the same place!

quote:

Tarrare (c. 1772 – 1798), sometimes spelled Tarare, was a French showman and soldier, noted for his unusual eating habits. Able to eat vast amounts of meat, he was constantly hungry; his parents could not provide for him, and he was turned out of the family home as a teenager. He travelled France in the company of a band of thieves and prostitutes, before becoming the warm-up act to a travelling charlatan; he would swallow corks, stones, live animals and a whole basketful of apples. He then took this act to Paris where he worked as a street performer.

At the start of the War of the First Coalition Tarrare joined the French Revolutionary Army. With military rations unable to satisfy his large appetite, he would eat any available food from gutters and refuse heaps but his condition still deteriorated through hunger. Suffering from exhaustion, he was hospitalised and became the subject of a series of medical experiments to test his eating capacity, in which, among other things, he ate a meal intended for 15 people in a single sitting, ate live cats, snakes, lizards and puppies, and swallowed an eel whole without chewing. Despite his unusual diet, he was of normal size and appearance, and showed no signs of mental illness other than what was described as an apathetic temperament.

General Alexandre de Beauharnais decided to put Tarrare's abilities to use, and he was employed as a courier by the French army, with the intention that he would swallow documents, pass through enemy lines, and recover them from his stool once safely at his destination. Unfortunately for Tarrare, he could not speak German, and on his first mission was captured by Prussian forces, severely beaten and underwent a mock execution before being returned to French lines.

Chastened by this experience, he agreed to submit to any procedure that would cure his appetite, and was treated with laudanum, tobacco pills, wine vinegar and soft-boiled eggs. The procedures failed, and doctors could not keep him on a controlled diet; he would sneak out of the hospital to scavenge for offal in gutters, rubbish heaps and outside butchers' shops, and attempted to drink the blood of other patients in the hospital and to eat the corpses in the hospital morgue. After falling under suspicion of eating a toddler he was ejected from the hospital. He reappeared four years later in Versailles suffering from severe tuberculosis, and died shortly afterwards, following a lengthy bout of exudative diarrhoea.

Imagine having to use the toilet after this guy.

twoday has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Nov 13, 2015

twoday
May 4, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

They probably didn't exist and it's likely that one of them was just based off of stories about the other, considering how close together the "cases" were

Well, they were both written about in medical journals and in a few other more recent books and it doesn't seem to have been discredited yet.

twoday has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Nov 13, 2015

twoday
May 4, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

I would go full ISIS on a graham cracker Eiffel Tower.

http://www.redflagnews.com/headlines/isis-celebrates-9-11-with-cake

twoday
May 4, 2005

twoday
May 4, 2005

ErIog posted:

I loving hate you. I have seen some of the worst poo poo imaginable on the internet, but holy poo poo, gently caress snakes. I cannot deal with snakes. I know nobody cares about my stupid phobias, but holy poo poo I just wanted you to know how much I loving hate you right now for posting that.

Don't be mad at me, you should instead be mad at Kellog's for making what I feel is frankly a rather dangerous breakfast cereal.

Edit:

We ate it in a tool shed where he made us suffer, sad Satan:

twoday has a new favorite as of 10:30 on Nov 25, 2015

twoday
May 4, 2005

It's presently the calm before the storm of loose corn and #wifematerial turkeys.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-mfYXdjNTM

Actually, a lot ashens videos belong in this thread.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Ulfhednar posted:

Some festive cranberry sauce sludge from a workplace Thanksgiving luncheon

This looks infinitely deep and reminds me of the final scene in Terminator 2 when they lower Arnold into the lava.

twoday
May 4, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Who wants the worst army food of all time?

Ukrainian Rations

Wow. Imagine bland pots of unseasoned boiled meat stomping into a human face. Forever.

Looks like that "jelly" is actually honey.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Nice review. A couple of notes.

Instant teas is very uncommon in Eastern Europe, so I'm surprised they didn't just pack a tea bag.

The fruity drink is supposed to be something like Kool-Aid. I don't know if you used cold water, but it's definitely supposed to be somewhat refreshing. You might have also poured too much water, as it only requires 200.

Sweet drinks and candy are common in military rations, they want the troops to ingest a lot of sugar to keep energy levels up. In the Dutch army, snickers bars are part of the rations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Scathach posted:

Those totally flattened and burned cookies make me sad.

Anyway,

red bean popsicle

Adamantly would not. Looks like a tick.

Fare thee well. Remain thou still in darkness:
thou shalt hold the opinion of Pythagoras ere I will
allow of thy wits, and fear to eat a popsicle, lest
thou inbibeth the blood of another.

twoday
May 4, 2005

A horrifically unbalanced meal with a pile of meat, 3 types of carbs and no vegetables. I have a pretty strong belief in balancing my diet and try to eat a mix of protein, carbs, and vegetables whenever possible, so I find this combination pretty gross, regardless of the quality of the individual elements

twoday
May 4, 2005

It's pizza time in Pyongyang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9Yu88snu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA-XvTl6sdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTQK01VdB20

https://youtu.be/9BNN4tlBy-g

twoday has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Jan 20, 2016

twoday
May 4, 2005

Megabound posted:

Absolutely would. Duck neck looks weird as gently caress, but tastes great. You have to not care about eating around tiny bones, which takes a considerable amount of effort to get good at.

that's totally a donkey dick

twoday
May 4, 2005

Puntification posted:

That's the saddest vide. (I've seen, don't take that as a challenge, or do it's cool I'm not the boss of you).

Sous vide, for "perfectly cooked food" every time.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh, measuring things in grams for cooking is the most obnoxious thing.

I live in Europe and I had to buy a set of 'measuring cups' and 'tablespoons' from America to properly cook some American recipes, and also a magnetic conversion chart that tells me how many ounces equals 3/8ths of a hogshead or whatever. It's like doing alchemy in the 7th century, why why why

Or you can just weigh poo poo in grams on a digital scale as if you live in the 21st century

twoday
May 4, 2005

Scathach posted:

Cheese chat brings us to this:

Brighten up your post-apocalyptic future with cheese powder!

Also, every goon's dream:

If the apocalypse comes maybe I'll just eat the neighbors. The same company also makes honey powder but it looks much more delicious and would probably taste pretty good sprinkled on vanilla ice cream.

So I live in Holland and can easily buy my own weight in gourmet cheese without breaking the bank, but I occasionally crave the reconstituted dehydrated goodness of a pack Mac and cheese. I just moved to a new neighborhood and they don't sell that here, but elbow macaroni at the Turkish shop is cheap as gently caress, so I thought I should just buy a kilo of powdered cheese and have an effectively limitless supply of Mac and cheese. But there ar many brands and I don't know what's best, so I have been putting off making the order.

twoday
May 4, 2005

RNG posted:

Bread soup is a real thing.

This reminds me, I found a bunch of Russian cookbooks for peasants from the Tsarist era that had recipes for things like "bread soup" and "beer soup," which if I remember correctly was imperial stout, a couple of beaten eggs, salt, and some parsley. I should dig those up and make something and post the trip report here.

twoday
May 4, 2005

RNG posted:

I see your beer soup and raise you bread beer. Although it just sounds like malta goya and I'd really like to try it.

Kvass is great, but it's really more like bread soda. It often tastes very lighly of plums, but overwhelmingly of rye bread. I love it, but most people who try it for the first time hate it.

twoday
May 4, 2005

NSFW

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

That's just a Pittsburgh Steak Salad