Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Azhais posted:

And remember, Ninjas are more afraid of you than you are of them

Just remember the Law of Ninjitsu. Multiple ninjas are easy meat no matter who's fighting them. A lone ninja is a world ending badass only defeated by dint of heroic effort and sacrifice.

Therefore, when you've killed all but the last two ninjas, try to kill them both simultaneously to prevent an occurrence of Lone Ninja. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SiKboy posted:

My dream is that somehow they make a Netflix Judge Dredd series. Urban cant be THAT expensive to hire, he made that robot cop show (which I'm told was actually kind of okay, but dammit the premise was literally Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E from friends) and he apparently would like to do more dredd. Until then I console myself that even if it never gets a sequel, it did get one great movie which did not seem likely after the stallone attempt.

Almost Human was the only cop shop in history where the best part was the two cops bantering in the car on the way to cases. The actual cases themselves were the fairly pedestrian crimes-with-a-sci-fi-twist one would expect, but the chemistry between the two leads was fantastic. Not enough to save the show as it turned out, but still really good. (Also, it didn't help that Fox once again hosed with the broadcast order because Fox.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

He also said if Almost Human was cancelled he was done with TV. Too much work for months on end to have it pulled out from underneath you like that

I can see that, though the Netflix TV shows are straddling the line between TV and movies both in the way they're produced and the way they're released all at once.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I use the same movie ticket value when buying a video game. Do I get an hour and a half of fun for every :10bux: of game price? If not, the game wasn't worth it.

I have a similar system, but I note that a lot of people just use length rather than "hours of fun". I don't care if your game is 60 hours long for $60. If 59 of those hours are repetitive drudgery, I got ripped off.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

teagone posted:

It's implied that the cop at the end saw Murdock doing crazy parkour poo poo up a scaffolding after subduing Fisk while asking what he should call him. It then cuts to the media coining the name Daredevil. I thought it was pretty clear why he was given a superhero name. The press/media coined the name Iron Man too.

Plus some army functionary chose "Captain America", "Hawkeye" and "Black Widow" are SHIELD codenames, "Thor" is Thor's real name. All the Guardians of the Galaxy but Quill just go by their real names. Honestly the only MCU character to definitely pick his own superhero name is Star Lord...and he gets consistently mocked for it until the very end of the film!

(The Hulk is in a weird place since he's already "The Hulk" when he appears in The Incredible Hulk, and no one's sure if Ang Lee's Hulk actually happened or not. And according to the trailer, Ant-Man doesn't pick his own codename either.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

dj_clawson posted:

Stick is probably talking to Stone, another member of The Chase, the group dedicated to fighting The Hand, who are the evil ninjas. Nobu is a member.

I just realized how ridiculous that all sounds.

"The Chaste" who believe that human contact in general, and love and sex in particular, weaken a martial artist. Hence Stick giving Matt crap for having friends and a love life.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

My understanding was that he doesn't get physical with her, but does so with other women in front of her which obviously would gently caress you up.

Actually, it was somewhat worse than that. He used his mind control to make her want to have sex with him all the time, then wouldn't let her do it, all the while indulging himself with other women in front of her. It's pretty messed up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

If there was one disappointment for me its that (Season as a whole) Clancy Brown seemed like he wasn't playing a villain for once and then WHOOPS, yes he was. He seemed to be enjoying being a good guy until his heel turn. Too bad. Otherwise? Great season.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

Too be fair, kind of had to see that one coming. I mean, why bother to bring in Clancy Brown to do one scene giving a speech in a courtroom if he's not going to do anything else? I mean, he's not an A-List actor, but he's big in comic media related circles. At some point there had to be something interesting involving him. It's the old Columbo, Law & Order method of finding the suspect. If you recognize the actor, they probably did it.

I dunno, I thought he was doing fine as Frank's buddy and ex-CO. Heck, right until Karen saw the pic of the dead guy and he pulled the heel turn, the Colonel was a pretty sympathetic guy. I mean, yes, looked at from a meta standpoint there were only a couple of characters the Blacksmith could actually be, and once Fisk was eliminated as a suspect it did pretty much have to be the Colonel. But a guy can dream that one day they'll let Clancy be someone besides the heavy.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ufarn posted:

A pivotal thing to understanding Karen this season is that she still hasn't told anyone about killing Wesley in season one, and so in a way, [not a spoiler, but tees up the way we're supposed to understand her sentiment in the season] she has taken the Frank Castle way instead of the Daredevil one. The actress pointed this out in the Google interview, and I did not put two and two together when I was watching the show, and I sure as hell can't imagine how the writers could expect me to.

Yeah, she's been on Frank's path ever since she popped Wesley. And if Frank's right that once you make that choice, once you decide to kill, you can never go back across the line. Of course one could argue that she shot Wesley in self-defense, and further that having watched Frank's path, particularly with the way he killed the Colonel after she begged him not to, Karen herself may decide to walk away from that path after all. Frank and Matt's main argument is over the necessity of hope and in who believes in the possibility of redemption and who doesn't. Matt may well be correct that you can come back from crossing the line, despite his failure to save Electra.

Guess we'll see next season. Or, you know, forget all about season two's themes as Fisk burns down Hell's Kitchen and goes full Born Again on poor Matty. Maybe that. Hell, odds are Defenders will hit before Daredevil S3 so who knows what kind of state Matt and company'll be in by then?

e:

Jerusalem posted:

Editor: I want you to write the truth. We've already got the facts, speak from the heart, give us truth. THAT is what I want to read! :colbert:
Karen writes her piece
Editor: ....nevermind....

In all seriousness though, I thought her editorial wasn't very good but I really dug the mentor/protege relationship they've got going between her and the editor. It's just unfortunate that - much like House of Cards - they're crediting particular characters with amazing writing abilities and then when they have to demonstrate any of that actual quality writing it almost always falls flat.

Eh, that's what a good editor is for...to take the new writer's rough iron and hammer it into steel. My first published piece was seriously rewritten by my editor, but once I quit being butthurt about it and really read the finished product I learned a lot about how to do the job. Hopefully Karen will learn that too.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 21, 2016

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Well the suggestion was that what we heard was what was actually printed, I get the feeling the writers thought that what they had Karen write really was that good :shrug:

We hear her narrate it as she types it. That's her rough draft and you'll never convince me otherwise. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Require More Fire posted:

Oh, and another thing I wasn't a big fan of: Matt revealing to Karen that he's DD. I know in the comics everyone finds out, but I would have liked him to hold on to it a little longer, especially considering that it looks like Fisk is putting 2 and 2 together as well.

(Comic book spoilers and S3 speculation): Depends on whether they decide to run Born Again straight, ie Karen gives up Matt's id (probably not as a result of drug use, though), or if they do it the way they're hinting with the Kingpin figuring it out on his own. Or maybe both? Fisk thinks it's Murdock but he isn't sure, so he grabs Karen and forces her to confirm it?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have another theory on that.

I don't think the Kingpin will be returning as a main season-long villain on Daredevil. I think the Kingpin is being groomed to be the season 1 Punisher villain. It sounds odd on paper but makes sense thematically.

Huh. Interesting angle. But the whole "You think there's chaos now? Wait until I get out" threat directly to Matt, to say nothing of the whole "Get me everything we have on Matt Murdock" sure seems to be pointing directly to either Born Again, or at least Daredevil vs Kingpin Round Two in some respect. The whole Punisher and Kingpin threat-counterthreat as Frank leaves jail isn't as direct as the Fisk v Murdock stuff later on.

Could be both. If DD S3 happens first, you could do Born Again, then (presuming Fisk survives) still have him as the Big Bad for Punisher S1.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Does he know she's the one that killed Wesley?

I'm betting he will before the end of the season. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Rewatching the prison episode, and Fisk mentions that the mother of his two henchmen should "get the red paint indefinitely." I assume that's code for murdering her, but what would he gain by doing so?

Rent paid. She's getting her rent paid indefinitely. :cripes:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Wheeee posted:

The ninja guys, Hand or whatever, the armies of toothless ninjas ripped straight out of a Ninja Turtles cartoon episode, Electra, Stick, all of it was loving stupid and on par with what can be expected from network trash like Agents of Shield and Flash. Even the direction and choreography of the action scenes outside of the Punisher's was loving awful, especially in comparison to that of the first season.

Technically, its the other way around. The "Foot" ninja from TMNT are a direct rip-off of the "Hand" ninja published by Marvel well before then. In fact the original TMNT origin story has the turtles getting mutated by the same stuff that gives Matt Murdock his enhanced senses.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your overall analysis, mind. I too found the Punisher stuff far more compelling. But it's important to know who inspired who.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

No, Iron Fist is really bad. And no Shield arc was ever as bad as the back half of Luke Cage. AOS never introduced the core villain halfway into the season. Hell, Iron Fist really introduces the main villain really in the last 4 or so episodes.

You sure about that?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

Touche. But I think having Ward mentioning him earlier, and having a firmly established relationship and being featured before the Winter Soldier reveal, helped develop the character and didn't feel shoe-horned in. Unlike Bokuto who appears for like 1 minute in his first introduction and really isn't expanded upon until the 11th or 12th episode of Iron Fist.

By the same token, Diamondback gets mentioned all through the first half of Cage, and Shades shows up as the dude's personal rep, and they even refer to Luke's backstory a few times in flashback.

Can't help you on Iron Fist, though. Haven't seen it and after most everyone says it sucks, probably won't.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah but The Clairvoyant is mentioned constantly through the season so it's not really the same

So's Diamondback in Luke Cage. You can't exempt AoS with that excuse and still criticize Cage for playing it exactly the same way.

If you want to criticize Iron Fist, well as I said, I haven't seen it so have at it. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

HIJK posted:

I have learned from social media tbat Daredevil season 3 starts filming tomorrow. I am morbidly curious what kind of stupid poo poo they will shove into it. My prediction: they will shoehorn in Elektra showing up and convincing Matt to fake his death to run away with her. Third time's the charm right?

Rumor has it they're doing Born Again.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

site posted:

I dunno how old that Clancy book is but smuggling heroin through dead gis to fund a CIA hit squad is a plot point taken directly from punisher max's first arc

Clancy's "Without Remorse" was released in 1993, more than a decade before Punisher MAX, I do believe.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Someone else who liked Tom Jane punisher? Slap hands!

esperterra posted:

Make that three of us!

Four! :hfive: :hfive:

Don't forget your laundry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Doubtful. MCU and TV Marvel are at arms length and will most likely never cross the streams.

I'm pretty sure it was always in the plan for there to be two Infinity War movies. What I'm not sure is if there's going to be any interim movies that are related to the Infinity War that focus on say, Captain American or GoG.

It may have been the plan, and I do recall it as such, but looking at the schedule it's pretty much:

February 16, 2018 - Black Panther
May 4, 2018 - Avengers: Infinity War
March 8, 2019 - Captain Marvel
May 3, 2019 - "Untitled Avengers Film"
July 5, 2019 - "Untitled Spider-Man Film"
????, 2020 - Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3

I mean I guess "Untitled Avengers Film" could be "Infinity War Part 2", but it doesn't seem all that likely. I think we're one and done with the Infinity War.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Dr. Doom is such an awesome character but he has some of the very worst plotlines in across either Marvel//DC universe

That he's still one the best Marvel characters going despite the crappiness of his plotlines is a testament to his strength as a character.

Which is why it's so puzzling that they keep loving him up in all the FF movies. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Oooh, looks like they're going with Kingpin in the white suit and Matt back in black. Are they doing Born Again at long last?