Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Got my airbrush back from repairs this Friday so I've been working on Stormtroopers from my Imperial Assault box and decided to redo Darth Vader as well though I'll need to build the highlights back up on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Great thread so far guys keep it up. Finished up some Stormtroopers from my Imperial Assault box and all I have to say is thank god for airbrushing white or else I would've lost my goddamn mind (I almost did after seeing the mold lines after I applied the white). C&C is always welcome.

"Set blasters to stun!"

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

WIP of my Imperial Knight that I'm trying to finish before I play Bulbsaur later this week. His name is Ragnarok :)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

So on Sunday my LGS had an airbrush workshop that was all about metallics so I took my Imperial Knight and this my attempt at what had been taught.

Also tried pre-shading for the for the first time on this Star Wars mini

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Related but counter: I'm looking for a varnish suitable for putting through an airbrush. Any recommendations?

Ive been using Liquitex Gloss and Matte through my airbrush with no ill effects. Just be sure to thoroughly clean your airbrush afterwards.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Decided to work on some Pathfinders that have been sitting on my shelf for some time. For some reason the image makes them look a lot more blue than they actually are. Got some detials to still do but I liked how these guys came out as they were some first attempts at using my airbrush to glaze. Comment and criticism welcome.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

While I was airbrushing Fire Warriors this weekend I decided to try using a thinned tamiya clear red as a candy over a metallic basecoat. I really like the way this came out , kinda has a dried blood look too it and it will be perfect for the Word Bearer force I'm building slowly. Ill probably do more shading on the metallic undercoat in later iterations but this came out great and was just what I wanted. I had so much fun with the base-coat that I decided to keep painting the model. One more things I tried to do was to paint his tabbard like it was skinned flesh (not sure about it). Comments and criticisms welcome.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 15, 2015

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Worked on some bases from Wargamma and had a lot of fun doing so. These will be bases for my Word Bearers that I have coming in the mail. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Super Waffle posted:

Which was the stripper that also eats super glue? I got some unpainted warjacks second hand but they were never cleaned up before gluing (so many mold lines :gonk:)

Castrol Super Clean

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Been painting up a Resistance M3 Alexander for Dropzone Commander. Comments and criticism welcome.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Arcturas posted:

That Alexander looks great! I wonder if you could get a purple or black wash into some of the small crevices that look like they were a touch missed, though. (I'm thinking of the three parallel diagonal vents on either side of the main part of the tank, just in front of the turret, in the first picture. Or in the second picture, the vents on the rear sides of the main body of the tank in the second picture - they're visible just under the red bits that you painted.) Given how nice all of the other vents/etails look, and how well you've washed and highlighted/drybrushed them, having some of those flat stands out a bit.

Your weathering looks really great, though, both on the metal bits and on the edges of the turret and treads. How'd you do that? Just weathering pigments?

Thanks for the feedback , its is still a work in progress but its nearing the end so I though that Id get some general feedback. Ill definitely hit those areas with a second wash now that you mention, though I think what happened in the pictures was that the lighting kind of washed them out (no pun intended). The weathering was criminally easy ; for the metal bits I gave them a black wash then came back to them with a silver highlight and peppering in some striking motions , and for the body of tank I used a piece of the blister pack foam that i had dabbed in some Rhinox Hide and did quick little stabs in the areas i though would see the most weathering. I then went back and highlighted the upper most spots of Rhinox Hide with Dawnstone and then some very thinned down White Scar.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Arcturas posted:

I'm wondering if it'd be worth doing some work on the treads, too, specifically painting the tread wheels black or brown, or if you want to leave those blue, maybe paint the treads themselves a brown or grey?

I'm keeping the wheels the same but the panels on the treads themselves I'll paint in a dark grey.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Been working on this bad boy and wanted to get some feedback as this will be the baseline for my army.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Reynold posted:

Word Bearers, I presume? This is awesome, love the metallic crimson. Not so thrilled with him standing off the edge of some weirdo base.

You are correct sir, I've since moved him more to the middle of the base.

An Angry Bug posted:

The crimson looks a bit uneven, like it's got a bit of orange peel trying to start. The protective coat will probably fix that, though.

BULBASAUR posted:

The new MK3 guys have a really wide stance, so he might have a hard time with it.

I dig the metal and color combo. I think you can probably get away with adding gold to the vertical wing stripe things on the shield to make him even more interesting from the front. After that a nice silver highlight over everything will make him really pop. Do you have any other plans for him?

I'm thinking that I'm going to keep it silver for the time being and for the higher ranks Ill introduce more gold as a way to differentiate the officers from the rank and file. As for other plans I was thinking of adding some of the Ultramarine heads on some chains around the shield.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Agreed. A thinned down wash can act like a filter and break up some of the shininess. Pushing the shadows is also ace advice. A fine metallic drybrush of silver over the raised surfaces would also really make this guy pop. Maybe we can do a painting clinic at my flat one of these days? Its easier to show in person.

If you find that its too big for the models your working on, you can cut away some of the bristles too.

sounds great. Maybe when we play Dzc?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

I humbly beseech this thread for advice on painting faces. Along with eyes it's very much a sore spot for me and an area I really want to improve on. I would very much like to hear and see how you guys go about it. For example any Gaylord's Primarchs have very rich and detailed faces that I at the current moment in time couldn't possibly hope to emulate.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Roboute Guilliman Incoming

Proper pleased with how he turned out, and it was a lot more enjoyable to paint than I originally thought it was going to be

That is goddamn amazing. May I ask how you did the marble because it looks so perfect?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Cross post from Oath Thread. As always feedback is welcome.

The Sisko posted:

Oath Complete!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like this guy's pose - he looks like he's casually walking across the street, all the while putting HE rounds into the grille of the Lincoln Navigator Rhino hurtling towards him.

*Thunk*
*Thunk*
*Thunk*
*Thunk*
BOOM!
(Rhino flips onto its top and skids toward him, finally coming to rest mere feet from the guy.)

Very John Reese from Person of Interest.

As someone who has the played against Bulbasaur's army I can say that even the pictures do no truly do them justice.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

X-Post from the 30K thread.

The Sisko posted:

Since I enjoy reading this thread I thought it be a good idea to contribute to it with some WIP's. Today I managed some decent hobby time and I spent most of it on these here Gal Vorbak and a little with Erebus. I'm aiming to have these bad boys done by the end of the week and if I don't finish them this thread has free reign to call me nasty names ( like Bulbasaur).

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

The Sisko posted:

I guess since were all posting cool models Ill post my BAC Word Bearer Contemptor who's about 95% done with a few mini details to wrap up.

X-Post from 30K thread. Quick question. How do you guys take the sheen off transfers? My guts says gloss coat over the whole transfer and then it hit with matt/satin varnish.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SRM posted:

I do that after I hit the transfer up with Micro-Sol to get it on in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback SRM. I already hit both the transfers on the neck and shoulders with Micro-Sol (Thanks to Bulbasuar). I'll probably give them another light coat to make sure they are sitting flush and then hit them with varnishes.

On a completely unrelated note, SRM your a goddamn inspiration and I love the mutoid mek you posted earlier.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hey everyone. Haven't posted here in a while due to life getting in the way of hobby. I recently bought into Malifaux and decided to try my hand at doing flames; something I have never really done before.. Sorry for the links instead of imbedded images as my computer isn't working so I have go through the imgur app on my phone. As always comments and criticism is welcome

http://i.imgur.com/UqGwM8D.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/63gxRKr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FGcwovP.jpg

Next guy on the chopping block
http://i.imgur.com/6QmQiPj.jpg

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Haven't had a whole of time to work on miniatures while I round out the semester. I have however been rewarding myself with an hour every night painting. This is what I've managed so far this week and it's almost done. Comments and criticisms are welcome as always.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

Another project finished! (X-posted from the 30K thread)

I had a lot of fun putting this guy together.

Seriously an enormous chunk of resin.

Just as sexy from the other side. Yes, the lascannon sponsons move.

Top view!

Gunner detail view.

Invictus Lex - Undefeated Law

Hoc est inimicus in finem - this end towards the enemy

Painted the interior bay before slapping it together.

Praenuntius - Harbinger

Mortis Volubilis - Rolling Death

Ultio - Vengeance

Domitor - Conqueror

Pew intensifies.

I switched out the front casemate heavy bolters for heavy flamers - the kit didn't come with any so I stole a pair of heavy flamers from leftover Sentinel bits.

Hell of a view from the front.

Illud - Bring it!

That's a beautiful tank right there. Speaking of the Horus Heresy I decided to revisit everyone's favorite primarch Lorgar. I wasn't very happy with his armor or his face so I just decided to redo everything. Still have a few details rap up as well as reattaching his mace but Im really happy with the new and improved Lorgar. As always comments and criticism are welcome.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 1, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

always be closing posted:

What paints and how did you do the head/face.

Sorry for responding so late. The head was done with with P3 Rynn Flesh , then washed with Druchi Violet. I then gingerly used my airbrush to apply a highlight of Minitaires Humanoid Flesh focus on the top of the head and nose and brows ( the airbrush was almost a vertical postion in relation to the model). Hope that helps!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Still got a few details to rap up but by and large these guy are done. As always feedback and criticism are welcome.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SRM posted:

The Heresy train ain't got no brakes

TOOT!TOOT!

Finished 5 veterans as well as putting the final details on the rest of the 10 man squad! All they need now are some transfers and they're ready for the tabletop!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Get the Badget Patriot 105. It's great for basecoats and it's easy to clean and use. It's the AK-47 of airbrushes.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

SRM posted:

Too many posts about semantics, not enough about rad models

Started my second tactical squad! These guys are made from Betrayal at Calth Marines with the Ultramarines accessory sprue. The sergeant's armor is technically Mk VII, but I figure for artificer armor he'd probably have something newer and fancier anyway. I also tried shooting on a black backdrop; some of the whites and skintones came out hotter than I'd like but I think I'll be using the black backdrop from here on out.

We meet again my old friend.

Had a lot of fun with this guy , especially with the little vials he's got all over. I'm especially happy with how the transfer came out.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

Any major pro/con vs a similarly priced iwata?

I know nothing of Iwata airbrushes but I have a Badger Patriot 105. Its a great airbrush that is sturdy as hell , can pretty much do everything except super fine detail work, plus if you do manage to mess something up Badger has really great customer support. Theres also a host of different kits for changing how you want to use it and they're fairly cheap.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 7, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

My compressor finally breathed its last today and none of my troubleshooting has solved it. What would would yo guys recommend for a work horse compressor (one with a tank and moisture trap preferred) ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

How do you guys approach stuff like cloth and capes? I can never seem to get the highlights or sometimes the basecoat right. The end result always looks garish. Any advice would be appreciated

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Ilor posted:

Smoother color transitions is almost always the answer, which unfortunately usually means more coats of thinner paints. Also, depending on the color, it varies as to whether it's easier to start with your darkest tone and successively highlight up, or start with a high-mid-tone, wash for depth, then re-apply highlights at the end. Both approaches work, it's just a question of the final color tone you're after. I'm afraid there's no magic bullet (though good washes can work wonders and hide a multitude of sins).

Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to highlight from a dark tone , so I think I'll try the high midtone approach.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Yeast posted:

Just finished a Culexus Assassin, and man - you could bounce a land raider off those buns.

Even the new Eversor and Culexus assassins have some serious buns.

In other news I've been having a blast painting the Watch Captain Artemis and Eldrad from the 40k Death Masque box set. Thought I'd share some of the pictures of where they're at.

Still got a few things to wrap such as Eldrad's sword and stuff and Artemis' backpack and gun. Thanks to Ilor for the advice on the cloth , the though picture washed out alot of the highlighting I've done.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 24, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Had a hell of a time converting and green stuffing this maggoth lord. He's going to be a Great Unclean One for my Nurgle army.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

GreenMarine posted:

Looks good, Sisko. Are you making any other alterations to the maggoth?

I'm of two mind about it. On one hand I don't want to go overboard or bite off more than I can chew. On the other, he's going to be used for some Horus Heresy so I'm thinking of throwing a hand reaching out of the lower set of jaws.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Just a quick WIP of my Great Unclean One conversion. He's been an absolute joy to paint and I'll probably finish him by tomorrow.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

X-post from 30k thread.

The Sisko posted:

Finally got some 30k hobbying in. Still got a few details left but by and large these guys are done.

Erebus' lack of fingers is due to an rear end in a top hat cat knocking him onto the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Hopping on the primer discussion I've been using Badger's STYNLREZ grey airbrush primer for a while now and it's been smooth sailing. The only complaint I have about it is that you have to thin it just a little bit before spraying it , though that's my MO with most airbrush paints

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 10, 2016