Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
People keep saying the Gremy is great and all that, but I can't make it work because I'm utter garbage at DDs. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So Phontomen seems to like the Okhotnik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr7vCxAauSo

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Pacra posted:

This guy is very entertaining to watch, any other vids you suggest?
I haven't watched a lot of his WoWS videos, but if you mean any game, his "Bad Luck Club" videos where he plays World of Tanks with his buddies are pretty good. Their banter is funny and all kinds of stupid poo poo keeps happening to them.

But be sure to rummage through both of his channels. Phontomen LP is the one with actual LP series and just phontomen has the random silly poo poo.

El Disco posted:

Ah, phontomen. He did some WoWS videos back in the beta days and then stopped for a long time, and he's started making some more relatively recently. I mostly know him for making a shitload of Warthunder videos back in the day.
Yeah, he started by making these kind of random funny videos of War Thunder and WoT and stuff, which were what made him a goon favourite because a lot of them are goddamn hilarious. Then, by what I've gathered about stuff he's talked about in his later videos, he hit some kind of life crisis for a bit, and then started as a "proper" Youtube LPer because he was basically unemployable and it was the only thing he knew how to do. I was surprised that he talked about that sort of stuff so candidly, but I root for him because he seems like a decent guy and is a genuinely entertaining LPer. He has a very good voice and output, his enthusiasm for silly gimmick poo poo is pretty infectious, and he doesn't take things too seriously.

Blindeye posted:

He's not a great player, but he's loving hilarious. Most of his games for some reason are in the Dunkerque, and it's clear he just likes going balls deep no matter what. He got a Nikolai from a Christmas box and decided to do a video for it that is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljj5grnHZWo
Oh god the bit with the Kawachi at 10:35 is amazing. That laughter :allears:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I really liked the Emerald too. I mean the Leander is even better, but it doesn't seem drastically different from the Emerald. :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Burt posted:

That and it's stupidly fast turning circle. I played mine tonight for the first time in a very long time and I remembered why I used to love it so much. Caveat was that it was a tier 7 game.
It's a bit awkward sometimes when the ship turns so much faster than the turrets, so actually keeping your guns on target while turning gets tricky. Still a real nice ship though.

Had a good laugh once when I was divisioning in Warspites. The match has just started and I'm fondly regaling my buddies with the tale of how I once deleted a Pensacola across the map in the start of a match. Immediately after I finish I see a Pensacola in the enemy team wink out of existence and my clanmate goes "Oh, you mean like that?" :haw:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 2, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Hey Eurogoons, some German magazine is doing a code givaway for a bunch of goodies. Follow the instructions here if you don't speak German, or if you do then just follow the link obviously.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/68riru/psa_eu_players_get_free_port_slot_consumables/

Gmail filtered the code email into the spam folder, but other than that it worked fine for me.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 2, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I had a really nice battle in the Bismarck earlier. Some DD completely flubbed his torps at me from his smoke so I chased his out of the smoke and let my secondaries shred him while I gunned down an Ibuki (whose torps I also dodged), then I nuked some errant Pensacola from half health, dick-punched a Colorado who saw me at low health and cockily charged in, only to eat some torps from a DD and a finishing 15k salvo from me, then I finished off the match by ramming their Iowa. 121k damage isn't exactly amazing, but it was just so delightfully :black101:. Sadly I had forgotten to turn Gefore Experience's instant replay thing on.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Ah yes, a whopping one third of the tree's ships has some armor, so obviously you can't say that German cruisers tend to be fragile, because obviously the top tiers are the only ones that matter right

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hazdoc posted:

CAs at T6 and less don't really have ARMOR so to speak, so much as its based on citadel placement, which falls to basically the Cleveland as the only T6 and below ship that is "armored". T7+ is when you get a very clear distinction between cruisers that can bounce poo poo, and cruisers that can't.
Fine, whatever, pretend I said "durability" then. My point was that people judging ship/tank lines in this and World of Tanks just based on the last couple tiers, as if everything lower was irrelevant, is a pet peeve of mine.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Maiden is great and all, but I feel like some more bombast is needed

http://youtubedoubler.com/l8f6

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

orange juche posted:

That move was less some noble ride and more a suicidal death charge that accidentally had 100% less suicide in it. Maiden is more appropriate.
I take it you haven't seen the movie, then? :v:

Nah, I know what you mean. Maiden works too.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, people with more experience: What's the scuttlebutt on French cruisers? Are they as poo poo as they seemed like? I'm up to the Duguay-Trouin and the only real complaint I have is the fire rate. What's the line like from here on out?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blindeye posted:

Go fast, set fires, try not to get close or you'll die like a British cruiser. Very passive long range playstyle so they can't carry like some ships can, but they rack up damage.
I wasn't really asking how to play them as much as if they're any good at how they play, but cheers.

EDIT: Not trying to be snippy, just clarifying.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
There's a difference between "The properties of these ships make them especially good at <playstyle>" and "These ships are a bit poo poo but you can sorta make them work by <playstyle>". :v:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 31, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

:staredog:

I know German cruiser AP is powerful, but I was not expecting to see 19k damage from one salvo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gwaihir posted:

I'll see you that and raise you a 23k salvo from a Baltimore. US AP is magic.
(Yea, that was a unicorn shot but still)
I still win because I was in a Nürnberg which only has 152 mm guns. :smug:

But yeah that was seriously one hell of a fluke.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NTRabbit posted:

From tier 6 to 8, which is where you'll spend most of your time in the tree, you've got three very similar, identically armed (bar the t6 with only 9 of the same 12 guns) ships that are fast in a straight line, but have the worst agility in class; are enormous, and also have less armour than some destroyers; have the most accurate guns (sigma and shell speed) and I think longest range guns, but have the worst AP shell penetration in class and HE shells that are inferior at starting fires to the IJN ships (especially at t8); have fast and damaging torpedoes, but they are point blank weapons only.

They fit a very narrow, rigid, max range HE spammer gameplay style, at which they are ok, but are utterly incapable of contributing if forced out of that style. Chapayev in particular desperately needs a buff, as removing stealth firing has stripped it of the only effective gimmick it had, and it's now the least capable T8 cruiser in a T10 battle - putting it bottom of a group already the least effective in T10 as a whole.
That's exactly the kind of answer I was originally looking for. Too bad I asked about French cruisers, not Soviet. I guess I'll have to look this stuff up myself.

Not sure why I'm even bothering with other cruiser lines than the RN at the moment, really. The acceleration and repair party have completely spoiled me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
lmao

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This thing looks cool as gently caress, but it bothers me that the middle turret is the elevated one. If the front one was a bit further from the other two and the rear one was the elevated one it'd look cooler, and all three turrets could fire forward beyond a certain range where the middle turret's guns would be elevated enough to fire over the front one.

I mean I'm sure there was an actual real world reason they were arranged like that, I'm just upset over my cool toyship aesthetics. :argh:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rorac posted:

Sorry to disappoint you but the Minotaur has the exact turret arrangement you're asking about, but the middle gun in the arrangement doesn't fire straight forward.
Okay, but it would look like it potentially could, and that would soothe me. :v:

Night10194 posted:

Trying to make the back turret elevated enough to fire over the other 2 would've snapped the ship in half from weight. Same reason one of the quad turrets on the KGV got replaced with a double turret.

If you want fun Nelson facts, they had orders not to fire the back turret unless it was a genuine war emergency, because it was too close to the bridge and no matter what they did, firing it would cause enough of a backblast to shatter all the bridge's windows.

Goddamn pesky laws of physics always getting in the way of aesthetics

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
WG should just remove manual dropping from all carriers or something because it's some complete loving bullshit.

A Kaga first smacked my Bismarck with DBs that did several thousand damage and set three fires. He was also holding his TBs back to wait for me to pop DC. So at that point my choices were to either wait and burn to death in short order (three fires do a lot of damage), or pop DC and hope for the best. I chose the latter and the guy hit me with a 100% undodgeable cross drop (while his TBs gave zero shits about my AA) and I died.

There was absolutely not a goddamned thing I could've done to save myself in that situation. Yay for fun and challenging gameplay.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

kaesarsosei posted:

Not sure whats happening here but I won't take my Ryujo planes anywhere near a Bismarck unless I have literally nothing else to attack.
I did shoot down a few of them but that didn't deter them from loving me up. :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blindeye posted:

Stock Bismarck is pretty good, y'all:
Yeap, not good enough though

To be fair though I spent a good deal of the match just trying to avoid getting focused to poo poo while my team all died, racked up most of that damage after the match was already pretty much lost. Just went down swinging all :black101: like.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

RULE BRITANNIA

We went through the middle in Two Brothers :getin:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speaking of seal clubbing, only just today I realised that for some reason the Arkansas Beta has six upgrade slots. :psyduck:

I guess it's all the extra capacity from having zero AA

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 28, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TheFluff posted:

10.5km concealment and T9 gun upgrade on a T4 BB :getin:

Only downside to it is that pretty much all my top USN CA and BB captains have AFT, which is a horrible waste of points on it. Fire prevention would make it even dumber. There's a lot of CV's at tiers 4 and 5 but most of the sealclubbers disappeared with the manual drop removal, so it's even better than it used to be. It's not that widely played these days and it seems a lot of people simply aren't aware it has zero AA.

It's not the Nikolai (main shortfall is the 1.5 sigma where Nikolai has 2.0), but it actually gets surprisingly close. (That's with the accuracy mod which is what I run, but I've considered switching to reload instead.)
Yeah I'm running the reload and range mods and the 26 sec reload is pretty nutso. The reload mod does make the turrets turn slower, but it's not a huge deal as they still turn faster than most anything at tier; The Wyoming's turn faster, but only very marginally.

Honestly I might just go full comedy option and replace the range mod with the secondary battery mod and start getting all up in people's faces. Together with AFT and flag it puts the secondary range at 5.3 km, which is still really short but doable at those tiers. And the drat thing has a lot of secondaries...

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 28, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I sure picked an absolutely outstanding time to reinstall this loving game

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Nah I'll just piss around with low tier poo poo until I get sick of everything again.

I have no goddamn idea how I have a 57% win rate after a thousand battles with how little loving clue I have about what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mans posted:

is world of warplanes still poo poo?

I mean it had that big honking update a few years ago that made it actually pretty good for a bit, but I guess they didn't keep up with it and it kinda died again? I haven't paid attention for a good while