Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

James Garfield posted:

To be fair, in the lower tier US CVs you're the side that can just click poo poo and win.

Sure, that's also not good.

E: but IMO it's also not as bad as the reverse situation at higher tiers.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kerrow posted:

well, five losses in a row with the Cesare as a bottom tier battleship has been really fun.

That was my experience all weekend long as well. No matter what ship I picked I was the bottom tier and usually not in a position to carry any games when my window licker top tiers decided to be 100% loving useless. It's so infuriating.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The star ratings for some of these missions is pretty hosed, potentially at least. OK, so doing 150 000 damage to battleships isn't that difficult and you can just grind it out in a few missions, but one star still seems low. Likewise, disabling or destroying three main guns in a single battle, in a battleship, seems extremely prone to RNG fuckery. I played for three hours in only battleships and didn't get it once. Then the Duke of York exclusive mission is a four star mission to do 50 000 damage in a single game, which was a much fewer star mission in the last tier of missions.

On the upside I got so loving fed up with being the lone tier 6 in a tier 8 match in my Queen Elizabeth that I free exped the remaining 20k I had to grind out and am feeling much better in the King George V.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HFX posted:

The easiest way to destroy main battery turrets is to have them shooting someone else so you can shoot the turret from the side or back. Then actually aim to hit them. Still seems to rely on RNG a good bit.

It'd be a lot easier if I could do it in ... well, not a battleship. Slow fire rates and less than stellar accuracy makes it hard. The ship restrictions are what really kills me. Getting 90 000 torpedo damage in a single game would be bad enough but I can't even try the mission because I don't have high tiered British destroyers or cruisers. I don't even care about the Duke of York, but I need one to do the other campaign for the Scharnhorst camo which I want :(

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bought the Alabama from the sale, and so far it seems like a real fun ship. It's fast for a battleship, the guns pack a loving punch and a half and it seems to take hits fairly well. At least until I realize the rest of my team has stopped advancing 5 KM before and are now just doing donuts at the edge of their gun range and I'm sitting alone surrounded by four tier 10 battleships and a handful of cruisers.

I really need to work on my situational awareness :v:

(Also, is this what US battleships turn into later on? Because if so, I got to start climbing that tree as well!)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The pubbies in this loving game make me despair. Three capture point game, 2/3 of the team beelines for point A, rest go for point C, nobody goes for point B. The 2/3 of the team who go to A meet two (2) enemy ships there, and then proceed to do donuts and pussyfoot around for ~10 minutes while the enemies cap point A under their noses, point B uncontested and then loving murder the few ships at point C, wrapping around to destroy team A.

From the start of the match a few people were pinging the map and requesting help for point C, then letting people know that point C needed help, urging someone to take a look at point B etc. Nothing.

I just want to punch these people through their monitors so badly.

E: and of course all the destroyers were pissing around point A as well, so nobody at C had any scouting and was just getting murdered by unseen cruisers and destroyers.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 5, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well I finally completed the 15 day grind for the Christmas event.

My reward? Two hydroacustic searches.

Thanks, Wargaming. You always find a way to disappoint.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blindeye posted:

The standard result ensued:

I've had two of those today. In one of them I had four kills, 115k damage done and several defenses. The last minute of our loss consisted of a 230 xp Atlanta calling me a noob who should delete the game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Like a loving sucker I bought five big Santa boxes.

4 x Frosty Fir Tree camo
1 x +XP signal flag

Well I mean 60 Frosty Fir Tree will make grinding a lot faster but still. God damnit. I should frame this post and look at it the next time I think about buying blind boxes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Darkrenown posted:

Posted just now:

"Oh and by the way of course we won't extend the duration of the OTHER campaign, you know the one you can only start once you finish this terrible campaign and which you'll now have 24-48 hours less to complete... unless of course you buy the Duke of York!"

In other news, King George V is legit.

E: holy titfucking jesus I just noticed the pretty much the rest of the other campaign is all stuff you can do with just about any ship, but the first loving bottleneck mission is ONLY for the Duke of York.

gently caress you, Wargaming.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 8, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heartcatch posted:

It's pretty standard for them, honestly! Though I've heard the 75k exp one is bugged and expects you to earn 75k in one battle instead of over multiple battles. Classic Wargaming!

75k is still ... well, a fuckload. It's a 2 star mission so basically you'll be repeating it 3 times, so earning 225k XP before you get to the final mission of the operation, which is inventively earning 40K more XP. Honestly, it feels like those two missions should've been reversed.

This whole thing is so obviously an ultra cynical cash grab designed to essentially force players to buy the Duke of York if they want to do the second campaign.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The La Galissonniere can be a fun bote.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heartcatch posted:

It really isn't the terrible boat that a lot of people make it out to be. It's just aggressively mediocre in most respects.

I'm trying to decide which -- if any -- cruiser tree I want to climb up. The Japanese cruisers seemed cool and good until the Furutaka which kinda killed my interest in that line. Soviet cruisers were cool until tier 5, when they threw up a slow river barge. British cruisers only have AP, which loving suuuucks.

French have been decent, and I just started playing German cruisers. No idea about American cruisers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wolfy posted:

Honestly I started taking priority target on every single ship. Knowing exactly how many people want to gently caress me is a valuable piece of information to have when making decisions.

Exactly. It's a super useful skill.

1. It helps with scouting. "5 ships are aiming at me, that means there are a lot of ships here we haven't uncovered yet".
2. It helps with situational awareness when in combat. "I'm dueling with the enemy battleship, but whoop, now I'm being targeted by TWO ships, it means someone else has joined combat."
3. It helps with avoiding torpedoes. "Welp, that destroyer just stopped aiming at me for a moment, that means he switched to his torps and fired a spread, better turn quick"

Aside from the simple fact that being able to know that you are being targeted by multiple sources -- ie. from multiple directions -- is pretty important info.

Herr Bazooka posted:

Kirov is second fastest cruiser in tier 5 beaten only by Emile Bertin.

Really? It just feels so sluggish and cumbersome after the Svietlana. Or are all T5 cruisers just massive tubs of crap?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The fifth mission on the New Year's Raid sure isn't great.

- Be the first to spot 11 destroyers in a destroyer = 1 star.
- Do 150 000 damage to destroyers in a destroyer = 1 star

So essentially, at my highest destroyer's level (6), I have to kill ~12 destroyers for one star. Spotting them is a pure guessing game of trying to figure out which spawn they're going for. So both of those loving suck, and realistically take ~12+ games each. For ONE STAR.

So I'm just grinding the 3 000 000 credits mission twice. I'm using a lot of signals but man gently caress it.

Also the King George V is loving great.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I started leveling German cruisers and jesus loving christ I want to murder pubbies. The "bunch of pussy assholes doing slow donuts 20 KM away from the enemy and preferably behind two islands" problem is so much worse and the Karlsruhe can't exactly win games solo.

So I'm doing a lot of damage and still losing constantly because 2/3 of my team thinks that "hide in the furthest corner away from the enemy" is a winning strategy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm so so so so so loving sick of being at the mercy of 41% winrate 330 WN8 tomatoes as my top tier BBs. What the gently caress am I supposed to do as a tier 5 cruiser in a tier 7 match when my battleships just literally loving sit in the corner of a map taking 100% range potshots at enemies occasionally?

Just please implement skill based matchmaking already. I'm not great but jesus loving christ I'm from another planet than these retards.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Velius posted:

That would be ranked mode. It’s not much better, due to people turtling up once their team starts losing to try and get top xp.

Yeah. Ranked is a lot better than random IMO, but I only have one tier 8 so it's not very useful yet -- and of course not any use for leveling ships.

E:

davejk posted:

WG have made it clear skill-based MM is never happening, but it'd be nice if they at least tried balancing things like radar between teams.

I honestly don't get why not. I mean making a good skill-based matchmaker is a lot of work, but they're loving filthy rich and have studios everywhere, they could do it if they wanted. I bet initially the WN8 terrible players would complain, but ultimately they'd have more fun playing against other teams of bad players.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 15, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've been playing the Fushun (tier 6 Pan-Asian DD) I got from the New Year's Raid campaign and this thing is a ton of fun. It's made of wet tissue paper but deep water torps are hilarious. I think I'll keep climbing this tree!

The tier 7 PA destroyer is pretty good, supposedly?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sorry team, I'll do better next time I guess!

I have enough free XP to jump from my King George V or Bayern to the next tier. I briefly considered saving up for one of those 750 000 free XP tier 9 premiums but that would take forever and is probably best done when I have tier 10s, right?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sperglord Actual posted:

The 750,000 free XP ship is going away in the near-ish future, to be replaced by a 900,000+ free XP ship that probably will not be as good.

Yeah, the chances of me getting 750K XP together by ... what, February are not very strong.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heh, turns out I have about 600 000 free XP on my ships, in addition to the 120k I currently have unlocked. So if I pay about 20 000 doubloons I could get the Missouri. But 20 000 is probably like 60 euros or something.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hammerstein posted:

Unless you live on Ramen and the extra doubloons are too much of an investment, you should really get the Missouri. We have no idea when/if she will be back and she's a great ship which allows you to do things other BBs cannot thanks to the unique radar gimmick.

Yeah I probably will, but I think I'm gonna do some scenario grinding first to lessen the amount of XP I have to convert. I have a bunch of those +777% to Free XP flags.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So, the Musashi is now out and according to at least trusted ship reviewer LittleWhiteMouse is actually extremely cool and a fun ship to play.

I honestly don't know what to do, should I still get the Missouri or jump straight for the Musashi? Is the Missouri fun to play?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

davejk posted:

Missouri is going away soon, and prints credits like nothing else.

But is it fun to play?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

xanif posted:

Do you like high tier American BB play?

If yes, yes.

If no, no.

Well I do quite like my Alabama, which is the highest tier American BB play I've experienced.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Right now carriers loving suck both for the carrier players AND their targets. Neither one feels like they have much say in how things go and have to deal with arbitrary bullshit like "oh poo poo my entire squadron just got deleted in a second" or "oh poo poo suddenly there's a 5 spread of torpedoes 500 meters to my side, time to die".

They should also take out poo poo like strafing, which seems to massively imbalance fighter encounters and probably makes balancing them a nightmare.

It loving sucks and I stopped playing my Independence.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tonight's highlight: a DD player who got spotted and took 50% damage, decided it was the CV player's fault (a new player who had bought a Kaga after 200 games and wasn't that amazing), spent several minutes bitching and whining about it in chat while making a beeline directly back to our spawn, then went and shot two full salvos into the Kaga (a couple of which got me as a side effect) to cap it off.

Of course Wargaming won't do poo poo about it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sperglord Actual posted:

The anime girls are not actually the game's main selling point and you can hide them completely if so inclined.

Unless you install mod packs in which case you can pick from anime girls, naked anime girls, different kinds of anime girls, what I would guess based on the mod name to be outrageously underaged anime girls and so on.

Seriously what's wrong with the people who play this game that anime girl ship skins, anime girl captain icons, anime girl boat icons etc are the biggest mod industry

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

xanif posted:

Would you prefer the MLP modders to usurp the anime modders as the dominant captain skin replacement?

Choosing between two types of cancers isn't a great choice :(

Has anyone played the Roma yet? My only experience is facing one in my Duke of York and murdering the poo poo out of it, but the player was horrible so I wouldn't make reaching conclusions based on that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Because I now have way more money than common sense, I bought the Roma. Trip report so far? Seems kinda fun. You REALLY can't show your side to anything bigger than a pop gun or you take poo poo tons of damage, and the guns are frustratingly inaccurate. But man, when they hit, they hit big.

Coming from the Alabama it's also fun to have a boat where the shells have a high and constant speed, which makes aiming a lot easier. They might also have too much speed because I managed to overpen tier 8 battleships from ~15 km out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ice Fist posted:

I'm having tons of fun playing French Cruisers. How does this line compare to other cruiser lines?

Same, I'm up to the La Galissonniere and she seems like a real fun boat. Almost unlocked the Algerie, but I may hold on to the La Galissonniere as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DonkeyHotay posted:

match before my team had two shimakaze, one with 900 games played in it with a 33% w/r, the other with 250 games played, also 33w/r in it. we did not win.

How!? Are they actively shooting up their teammates as much as they can?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So what's the deal here? Will they be selling ships which have been out of rotation for a while? Or is this just another "grind to get camos for these ships if you have 'em" event?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sent an application to join [GOON] in EU. I was already in the clan but someone seems to have booted me a while ago. My in-game name is soralapio.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Have Wargaming said if they're planning on adding more premiums to the tech tree for doubloons? I bought a bunch from the botched Steam packages and realized only later that I have no idea what to spend them on.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Heartcatch posted:

I mean, the Atlanta is available now.

Isn't it a tricky ship to play though?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boy they weren't lying about the Atlanta not turning its sides towards anyone. I murdered one from 100% with two salvos from ~10 KM in my Königsberg. Five citadels, dead.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

James Garfield posted:

Detonations are fine

Did you get detonated by a secondary hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

bloom posted:

He detonated someone. In two hits with the mighty Bretagne secondaries. Fun and engaging.

I seriously can't fathom the logic behind putting random 1-hit kills in a game.

Right, couldn't parse the damage log. But yeah, the point still stands: a magazine detonation off SECONDARIES? That's even bigger, dumber bullshit than normal magazine detonations, which are already loving bullshit.

Also, until I penta-citadeled that Atlanta, he was being a loving pest. Just a literal non-stop rain of HE. I managed to avoid him by simply veering out of his tiny gun range, but he did a loving ton of damage before he went down. Kinda makes me want an Atlanta, and there's not a whoooole hell of a lot in the doubloon store I want otherwise.

Some possible candidates include:

- Tirpitz (but I already have the Scharnhorst as a German premium BB)
- Kii
- Dunkerque

What I REALLY want is the Belfast which I missed originally. It would be nice to have the one World War II ship I've actually been on, but for some reason that's not being sold anymore.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 18, 2018